Wexford Forum

Wexford's a hurling county

(Oldest Posts First)

well lads with daithi waters hurling next year the footballers are in big trouble.himself, liam og mcgovern, d o keeffe, lee chin and matt o hanlon would all make the football team in my opinion. gone are the days when the likes of red barry and ciaran lyng [who would have been regulars with senior hurlers] will choose football. any young fella good enough for both will have easy decision.
county board are also doing little to help football in the county. they have conceded that there wont be enough time for a wexford representative in football and are now wanting to push senior hurling quarter final in before last round of football to make sure theres a hurling team in leinster, crazy that the last round of football wasnt played last tuesday night 2nd of september.

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 10/09/2014 11:04:09    1650463

Link

it's been said before, but what is the big deal? we will not have a football representive in leinster. great ! all that will happen is that the county champions will be beat by the carlow/wmeath/louth/longford champions in the first round as usual...
until the level of football improves in the county, we are prob better off not sending anyone. What good comes of it anyway?

freddy2 (Wexford) - Posts: 215 - 10/09/2014 12:45:21    1650532

Link

Will daithí waters make the wexford hurling team?
Will tomás waters be back soon??
Where will they both play?? The full back decision is taken?!

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1493 - 10/09/2014 14:44:41    1650624

Link

your missing the point freddy, there is no need for their to be no representative in leinster senior football . just because u have no knowledge or interest in football doesnt mean that teams are not doing their very best to win a championship so they can get chance to play in leinster. for your information both annes and castletown in last few years came close to winning games away in leinster championship.

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 10/09/2014 16:24:02    1650665

Link

At under age, the difference in the quality of treatment of the hurlers is far superior to that of football, the last county football manager was uninspiring and negative to say the least and the county board are more or less saying they don't give a damn about the Senior Football Championship. With these points in mind, why would any young lad choose to play football for Wexford? So long as clubs in this county continue to put in the effort to play Senior football, then the county board has an obligation to give the Football Championship, it's clubs and players the respect they deserve. The decision to postpone last round football games was like sticking two fingers up at the clubs and doing as they please. There is NO reason the both hurling and football championships can not but concluded in time for Leinster competition.

NaomhAine (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 10/09/2014 17:57:58    1650702

Link

peter147
County: Wexford

your missing the point freddy, there is no need for their to be no representative in leinster senior football . just because u have no knowledge or interest in football doesnt mean that teams are not doing their very best to win a championship so they can get chance to play in leinster. for your information both annes and castletown in last few years came close to winning games away in leinster championship.

Peter i'm not getting into a forum rumble here but how you can tell that i have no knowledge or interest in football in insulting and in fact i thought you were a better poster than that, very petty from yourself. I have given many years to my clubs footballers and even to this day am involved with them, not to mention the countless football games i've been to even back in the day when the county weren't too great.
fact is just about anyone can beat anyone in our championship, and anyone of 8 teams can win it. They are all on one level and it isn't good enough. I am not saying that the winner wouldn't want to be in leinster they should be, but when they get there the stats say that won't succeed.
Last time i checked too coming close still meant you didn't win , which was my point , they didn't win.

Hurling is going through a good spell at the moment and unfortunately the football is going to suffer. I agree with the above poster that is disrespectful to all footballers, but the CB have made up their mind, It is now up to us to make sure that they know it is frowned upon and shouldn't happen again.

freddy2 (Wexford) - Posts: 215 - 10/09/2014 19:04:23    1650722

Link

The calibre of manager being looked at for the senior manager's job is pretty pitiful in my opinion. I am saddened by the move of Daithi to the hurlers. Himself and Lyng are the only two real stars on the football team, the only two who'd make any team in the country. He is a big loss to the footballers. Some names I've heard mentioned for the football job, sure it's no wonder that players are looking at not playing. Such a pity. All the hard work and progress made over the last ten years has been seriously set back now, and the hurling fraternity are rubbing their hands with glee at that prospect. Very sad.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 10/09/2014 21:40:44    1650786

Link

Was this decided at county board ? If so, the representatives of the clubs involved in senior football should hang their heads in shame. Its a complete insult to players who have trained since last january in the hope of winning a senior title and representing our county in leinster.

yellabelly (Wexford) - Posts: 1062 - 10/09/2014 21:46:40    1650790

Link

Yeah the stats show that the senior football champions haven't set the Leinster club championship alight.

In fact, we just have to look at the hurling equivilent, in which Wexford are major contenders every year. Oulart going for four Leinsters in a row now is it?

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 676 - 11/09/2014 11:20:09    1650871

Link

freddy if u had any regard whatsoever for football in the county u wouldnt have posted that first contribution. very patronising to clubs that are trying to progress in football championship this year.
yellabelly fixtures committee made a balls of it by letting u21 management dictate that their would be 2 weeks with no club games,im pretty sure its the case that county board cant nominate last years champions as did happen in years gone by.

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 11/09/2014 11:51:01    1650885

Link

This will be very interesting,essentially the footballers are losing there most important player in my view,as icehonesty said our best player along with lyng and given the other options available at midfield he will be a huge loss,Imo matt o'hanlon and waters are the best midfielders in the county and there both not unavailable.

He will be a good addition to the hurling panel,similar style to his football,probably not the most naturally gifted but excellent in the air,strong in the tackle and an outstanding workrate,he could be our Bonner Maher a pain in the you know what for opposing defenders.

Finally as someone who supports both the hurlers and footballers i believe his decision is based on the fact he no longer feels the holy grail of a Leinster medal with the footballers is realistic given our decline over the last 2 years and Dublins continued strength,where as with the hurlers a Leinster title 2-3 years down the line is realistic given the potential player turnover in Kilkenny and maybe the manager moving on aswel

Whatever decision he makes good luck to him

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 11/09/2014 12:43:06    1650913

Link

Yes peter147, the "nomination" rule was changed a few years back, co boards cannot now nominate a team to participate in the club championship.

My point about the countyboard reps wasbecause I was wondering if the decision to defer the football championship was made at a full county board meeting, or was it a decision made by some management / fixtures committee.

yellabelly (Wexford) - Posts: 1062 - 11/09/2014 21:46:28    1651189

Link

Saddened by this as i dont really see Daithi being an improvement on what we have in the wexford Hurling panel other then a good back up i guess. Anyways like everything it is his personal choice and tbh i far from suprised with his choice as the feel around wexford football at the moment is a little toxic.

Looks like the early 90s are on the way back

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 737 - 12/09/2014 11:53:40    1651281

Link

Truth hurting Peter?

freddy2 (Wexford) - Posts: 215 - 12/09/2014 15:23:35    1651360

Link

county board meeting on wednesday night yellabelly. football clubs argued the case but got nowhere. there is no designated weekends now, they will play both football and hurling the one weekend if they can get rid of them pesky dual clubs. county board are hoping barntown and annes get knocked out next weekend by outlart and alley

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 12/09/2014 22:00:38    1651518

Link