Wexford Forum

Football Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

was at yesterdays match overall very poor standard from both teams. wexford had dominant period midway through first half had a couple of good goal chances missed a few frees a few bad wides and at least 3 into the keepers hands. after byrne was black carded and lyug sent off the task became impossible. clare appeared to be bigger and more physical around the pitch and were able to move the ball faster and of course they kick their scores. very disappointing as was of opinion we would competing for promotion with clare tipp and armagh but on this display looks like we might be competing at the wrong end

clarina8 (Wexford) - Posts: 8 - 02/02/2015 12:04:02    1689121

Link

very poor standard from both teams??? One team lost by 14 points!! Credit where credits due. You were also 9-3 done at the time of the sending off.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2031 - 02/02/2015 12:36:01    1689148

Link

That had to be one of the worst Wexford Football teams that took to the field in a long number of years?? long gone are the days where we competed with middle of the road teams. We are heading for Division 4 fast,Can someone tell me When was the last time we were in Division 4? Realistically Personal is just not there and Wexford football team has been on a downward spiral now for 5/6 years. Was great to remember the Mattie Forde days out where we competed with the best in the business and pulled off some memorable wins in the process. The new Manager cant be blamed this year as Inter County standard Footballers are very thin on the ground in Wexford. Realistically there is only 1/2 Players that would have a chance of making a top four team.Hopefully it comes in Cycles and we dont have to wait for a new Mattie Forde in 20 years to rise Wexford from the doldrums again.

Tox73 (Wexford) - Posts: 128 - 02/02/2015 16:48:49    1689304

Link

Wexford spent a lot of years punching above their weight. Maybe it is time to start rebuilding if that means a few season in D4 so be it.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2839 - 02/02/2015 20:06:34    1689418

Link

a very difficult start for david power,was anyone at the game today?i couldnt get to it but sounds like we rallied a bit when it was too late?
i guess we are really re-building and,as george harrison said,its gonna take time.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 08/02/2015 20:57:32    1691422

Link

Couldn't make the game either,was away on a stag,3 wins from 5 probably required for safety,fermanagh and limerick look like must wins and try to dig 1 out on the road aswel

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 08/02/2015 21:30:27    1691444

Link

Was at it ... We really played ourselfs into trouble on numerous occasions.. we missed a sitter of a goal that would have put us 1-4 to 0-2 ahead.. then gifted them a goal with a comedy of errors so instead of going in 1 point down we went in 4 points down.

Tbh there is potential there Eoghan o Neill and colm kehoe i taught were outstanding ... Kevin o Grady and Rob tierney were very good.

Bad points i think joey wadding is past it and i have never seen adrian flynn as bad in wexford jersey... When you add in we will have Graham Molloy Anthony masterson and Ciaran Lyng to come back and surely paddy byrne has to last 70 mins in some match i am cautiously Optimastic about our chances to survive. It is a building process and rome wasnt built in a day

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 736 - 09/02/2015 10:13:59    1691527

Link

What is it with Byrne and the black cards, If he gets another one he has to serve a one match suspension I think. He's already been missing for half of the two games so far. Wexford will do well to survive in Div 3 im thinking.

onthemoney3 (Wexford) - Posts: 7 - 09/02/2015 10:50:37    1691552

Link

I'd say Byrne's tendency to pick up black cards is borne out of either a mistrust of what looks like a shaky defence, or the half-forward line not doing the required tracking back, thus leaving us exposed to a quick counter attack.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 672 - 09/02/2015 11:52:09    1691588

Link

I have always ( due to being raised / educated in a football county ) had a preference for the big ball but if the armagh style is the way forward then i think the game is really in trouble. The were so cynical, everytime wexford threatened an attack, they were pulled, dragged, tripped or whatever it took to stop play.
Pat spillanes famous "puke football" statement was very appropriate for armagh yesterday. The frustrating part was that the officials took no action against this persistent fouling.

As for wexford, as david power said in his programme notes, its a work in progress. There is a huge re-building job to be done, but at least they are trying to play an attractive brand of football. When the experienced missing players return it should steady the ship and leave us with a fighting chance of avoiding relegation.

yellabelly (Wexford) - Posts: 1062 - 09/02/2015 13:25:00    1691637

Link

I think we have an unhealthy tolerance of players who pick up cards in wexford, I've asked the question before how many games have we seen a gallant wexford go down by a point after a player let the team down, in football and in hurling. And it's always the ref's fault or the opposition or they were unfortunate etc.

gahfan (Wexford) - Posts: 557 - 09/02/2015 15:06:23    1691689

Link

I was at the match yesterday and we can blame ref and stuff like that all we want but the simple fact is Wexford were well eaten by the better team. What more that probably the poorest Armagh team I ever seen. Also they started without Kevin Dyas, Ciaran McKeever, Jame Clarke and Mark Shields. I know Wexford were missing Lyng and Molloy. But look it not the players fault or the manager fault either, they are doing there best. However it was slightly depressing that Armagh had nearly more support then Wexford at the game though.

hunting (Wexford) - Posts: 618 - 09/02/2015 16:35:09    1691736

Link

Had nearly more support ... They out numbered us at least 3 to 1.

And the worst aspect is i was more suprised they only outnumbered us by that much. a sad indication of how football is supported in this county. but i think that drum is been beaten enough at this stage. everyone is entitled to follow and support whom they wish.

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 736 - 10/02/2015 09:51:02    1691941

Link

Support for the hurlers in the league has been abysmal of late too, how many went to Clare last summer for the drawn game? When people don't believe in a team, support crumbles.

Wexilad (Wexford) - Posts: 62 - 10/02/2015 12:15:43    1692030

Link

I was at the drawn game in Ennis last year and there was only a token support there from Wexford. Outnumbered more than 3 to 1 I'd wager. I think the league attendance might be better this year though given last years' exploits. Feel sorry for the footballers, ran Dublin really close a couple of times and a lot of moral victories. Can't imagine its going to get any easier for them to pull any sort of crowd given their apparent slide. I respect them for still trying to push things on even though they don't get anywhere near the same recognition as the hurlers.

Fulgrim (Wexford) - Posts: 126 - 10/02/2015 12:52:33    1692048

Link