Wexford Forum

Open letter to Liam Dunne and the Boys

(Oldest Posts First)

Dear Liam and the Boys,

In light of some fairly caustic comments on this site about Wexford "bandwagons" and the fairly patronising tone of some of the media commentary about us being the best little group of supporters in Ireland - shure aren't we great - I want you to know one or two things.

I have left Wexford Park, Croke Park and Semple too often over the last thirty-odd years with my heart torn out. The cat-calls of some opposition fans, the spittle and vitriol, the soccer chants and the two-fingered salutes. And worse, the pity, coming from the eyes of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp fans. Like we, Wexford hurlers and their people, were the fat asthmatic kid that makes a show of himself at P.E. All this bucking and kicking in the pit my stomach. I admit, I was angry. Many times, I was furious. Anyone with an interest or passion for their home place would give anything to be out there with a purple and gold jersey on their back. Not to contribute our much-derided hurling abilities to a game that was lost. But to clap those hurlers on the back and shake every one of their hands. In spite of those defeats, abject though they were, every single one of them, every single one of you, is ours. Our team. Our county.

In spite of our recent history, we are proud of you. And always will be.

Standing outside the gates to the Hogan in 2008, Kilkenny after hammering 5-21 past us, little fists of Purple and Gold knotted about themselves. Groups of Wexford supporters circled the wagons and let the Cats swirl past, looking at us like we were cripples, lepers or worse. Every ring of Wexford people ashen-faced and shocked. Never has that jersey on my back weighed so heavily. But, lads, we weren't dead. And neither was Wexford hurling. Those lads let us down. Worse, they let themselves down. We knew it, they knew it. And we questioned ourselves, will we be there the next time when a Wexford hurling team runs out with a poor performance throbbing in their brains like a tumour? Will we be there to watch our team, our county, play another game which we probably won't win?

You can put your house on it.

Ten years does not erase an eternity of tradition.

And this next bit, Liam and the lads, this next bit is for ye.

You're the best squad of hurlers to come out of Wexford in twenty years and when, at a time like this, an All Ireland Quarter Final, belief in yourself might be slipping, hold onto it. Hold onto it because we're holding on to it. This might be hard to believe at the moment with the media whipping up a storm, but Wexford people, ordinary Wexford people, believe in you. We were never dead and neither was Wexford hurling. And if we lose next Sunday no-one will have died either.

On the way up the Drumcondra Road after that 2008 Leinster Final, myself and a mate were insulted by a Jabba-The-Hut lookalike with an Arnotts jersey stretched across seven of his ten bellies. He had a pint glass, half full of cider, in one hand. Spittle. Phlegm. Vitriol. I left Dublin flecked in bile. Gutted.

But you're ours lads. Our team. Our county. We'll be there for you as just payment for the joy you've given us over the long spool of years. The Kilkenny match in 2004, burgling them and Cody on his knees. The elation of 1996. The Clare saga that you, yourselves saw through to a grandstand finish, full of heart and fight. The roar as Waterford were beaten.

We believe in you, lads. The heart has no bones so it doesn't break easily but the pounding it takes can be just as hard and leaves you bruised all over. Remember the jersey. Remember that crest. Remember what it represents. With Heart and Hand.

We believe in you, lads. We're proud of you. Believe in yourselves.

Yours etc.

Scorthy

scorthy (Wexford) - Posts: 19 - 21/07/2014 12:06:37    1622733

Link

Excellent post there scorthy. These lads are putting the pride back in the jersey which is fantastic after the humiliating defeats of the past decade. With our support this team can get to the next level hopefully this year and if not in years to come. The Wexford roar at the end of the game on Saturday was memorable. Hopefully we can bring the same support if not many more on Sunday these lads deserve it. A place in an All Ireland semi final is well within our grasp.

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 404 - 21/07/2014 13:17:39    1622877

Link

Load of rubbish. Liam Dunne and his charges fully believe in themselves. If they didnt, they would have exited the championship v Clare.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 21/07/2014 15:47:39    1623090

Link

Scorthy
Practically all the hurling counties have experienced humiliating days like you describe. As a supporter of LK for over 50 years I know I have experienced several of these days.However we continue to support these teams and never consider changing allegiance to any other county, after they are part of what we are, win or lose

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 21/07/2014 20:25:00    1623431

Link

like something i'd land in and write after 10 pints in t morris....

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 21/07/2014 21:58:05    1623597

Link

Kilkenny have put 5-21 past many a good team. If I remember ye were one puck of a ball away from an AI semi final in 2008. Not half bad for a team who got walloped. Every team has their bad days. If Wexford keep their feet on the ground they can go places over the next couple of years.

If im honest they are most exciting bunch of hurlers I have seen this year.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1647 - 22/07/2014 09:32:28    1623640

Link

Embarrassing

hurlgaa (Limerick) - Posts: 136 - 22/07/2014 11:06:49    1623739

Link

scorthy

Don't mind them. I thought it was lovely. We all get overcome by it sometimes. It's lads like us that make Wexford special

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 22/07/2014 11:30:57    1623770

Link

a bit melodramatic but heartfelt stuff all the same. I've seen us lose 4 AI finals in my time. You could substitute Limerick for Wexford in that letter and the litany of misery wouldn't be far off. Hope to God we beat you but if you win on Sunday be delighted to see Wexford kick on. No sport in the world like hurling.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 816 - 22/07/2014 12:56:12    1623895

Link