Wexford Forum

Five in a row

(Oldest Posts First)

well done to oulart, magnificent achievement to win 5 championships on the trot. i thought and hoped that they would get caught this year but time and again they managed to grind out victories in last ten minutes.great game, really enjoyed it and im sure it gave liam dunne food for thought. one sour note for me was dessie mythen getting the butt of a hurl through his faceguard in off the ball incident. he was v lucky he wasnt seriously hurt.

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 21/10/2013 14:28:50    1503863

Link

Oulart are only a goalkeeper away from being one of the great club sides. Almost cost them the game again yesterday

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 21/10/2013 15:42:56    1503921

Link

How come we haven't seen Nicky Kirwan in a Wexford jersey this year?

As far as I'm concerned he's been on of the outstanding forwards of this years championship. He was a real threat yesterday and looked dangerous every time he got the ball. Small, fast and very accurate.

jpb (Wexford) - Posts: 132 - 21/10/2013 21:48:13    1504190

Link

dont know about nickey kirwan but surely dunne would have tried him by now?

fair play to oulart,they set the bar so high it is up to everyone else to match them.the 2 early goals meant ferns were always playing catch-up from there on.how far can they go in leinster?wouldnt be too hopeful on that showing but maybe lesser expectation might help?

finally,as an earlier poster alluded to,i was shocked to see a top player lower himself to hitting an opponent through the faceguard.i love nothing more than hard hurling and to lower yourself to that,well,how would you not be embarrassed to lower yourself to that.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 22/10/2013 13:53:09    1504376

Link

Firstly, well done OTB, everybody wanted a change and were urging on Ferns, but OTB showed there class and experience. Nobody holds much hope for Oulart in Leinster/AI series, with no expectations I think they can give both a good go! My advice, take the 6-1 available on them to win Leinster and also have a chunk each way on them to win the AI at 28-1. Not too long ago, Oulart were favourites to win an All Ireland, they don;t go bad over night, maybe Storey has them coming right for the right time of year!

And with Buffers Alley thinking they can go on to win an AI intemediate title, this should spur OTB on even more. Buffers Alley should give this a proper go and would be great to see them do well, its all for the good of Wexford hurling. Shamrocks exited at the weekend, which I was v disappointed with, thought they should be more than capable of doing well in that grade.

On the football side of things, I wouldn't hold much hope for our senior champions, leinster in v v competitive at that level. Fintans did well last year to get to Leinster Final but one would imagine Intermediate would be a different level to that all together. That leaves it to Kilmore/Cloughbawn, well Kilmore who will win this doing handstands I would imagine. If i remember correctly they lost a leinster final a few years back, maybe this is the time where they can go that one step further.

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 22/10/2013 14:09:53    1504380

Link

was hurling sunday in goal rossy,conditions were bad against offaly team,shud hav beat them really,goal they got caught me out from long range,tats how it goes tho :)

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 339 - 22/10/2013 17:56:32    1504542

Link

I too was shocked that a player would hit another through the faceguard with the butt of the hurl. It is just about as cowardly an act as a player can do. Hit on/near the ball with a hurl, you might do a small bit of damage. But through the faceguard, you are going to do damage. There is absolutely NO excusing such action. Mythen might have been slightly wrong with his reaction at the full-time whistle but at the same time two wrongs dont make a right.
Back to Oulart in Leinster, I think they can do something, but they will need to improve substantially on that showing. But it was a good test for them and may be just what they needed and hadnt got in Wexford.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 22/10/2013 19:38:45    1504598

Link

what did mythen do at the full time whistle?

kerrb (Wexford) - Posts: 86 - 23/10/2013 13:25:06    1504861

Link