Wexford Forum

Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Giveitalash you got all the intermediate predictions wrong

csjj (Wexford) - Posts: 104 - 15/09/2013 20:01:06    1482525

Link

Bit of a dig there on giveitalash! Can't say I'm surprised he/she got them wrong, nearly all were upsets! Clongeen would have expected to beat St James, whom I'm told were very good. Nobody could have predicted St Fintans to beat Bannow, havn't heard anything about that? Anyone at it, live outsiders now?? Ferns and Barntown was always going to be a toss of a coin. (Barntown must now be fav's to win it out.) And not many would have tipped HWH either as they scraped through the group where as Rosslare were impressive throughout. Anyone get to the games, I was away for weekend and missed them all! :(

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 16/09/2013 08:24:08    1482641

Link

I was at the Bannow/Fintans game, Bannow lucky to finish the game with 15 men.

The fintans seem to be a very pacey team, conor sinnott pulling the strings at cetnre fwd and a good free taker whose name escapes me doing well.

Joey wadding was deployed at full forward but withdrew further out the field, bannow seemed bereft of ideas and didnt play the open style they would be known for instead they proceeded to run the ball at every attempt they got.

intermediate has become interesting with Bunclody and Ramsgrange coming form nowhere to contest the smei finals.. rumour has it Bunclody have a number of players back from Oz.

comc (Wexford) - Posts: 103 - 16/09/2013 09:01:34    1482648

Link

was at sars v kilanerin, sars fully deserved their win . kilanerin had corner back sent off after 2 minutes which was a big handicap.who would have predicted sars v fethard semi final?

peter147 (Wexford) - Posts: 553 - 16/09/2013 09:38:40    1482671

Link

I was at the matches in Bellfield. Rosslare ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes but up to that it was anyone's game. Bunclody no superstars but no weak points either and will take beating. Did not see the St. James win but the scoreline alone suggests they should have enough to get to the final.
The Glynn Ferns game was a bit strange with neither team seemingly giving their all. I think both teams had bigger things on their minds. Glynn went seven up in the second half but Ferns kept plugging away and it took two good points at the end into the wind by M O Regan and Craig Doyle to get the win. M Fanning went off injured and was a loss as he carried the ball well when on. If he is out for the semi with St. Fintins it will be close but if fit I expect Glynn to win by 3/4.
I also saw both senior matches in the park Saturday and was impressed with the way the Shels played. Banville, Clive Lawlor and Malone all won their individual battles hands down and I think they will overturn their group stage loss to St.Martins in the semi. The other semi is up for grabs but I hope the Sars win as Fethard play a very negative brand of football with about a dozen players behind the ball most of the time.(maybe they have imported a northern manager).

Paull (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 16/09/2013 15:43:39    1483014

Link

So St James and St Fintans to contest intermediate final, St James racked up a cricket score against a very poor bunclody, 4.14 to 4 pts, looked v good but hard to judge what they will be like in a tight game now as bunclody were awful, didnt perform what so ever. Fintans after knocking out bannow and Glynn who were alot of peoples favourite for intermediate football this year, think they have surprised alot of people, they have some quality footballs and will be very tough to beat, there tactics against the wind against glynn were very good and they use the ball very wisely. What do people think? final on in two weeks time in Wexford park.

Wally2496 (Wexford) - Posts: 34 - 22/09/2013 13:02:03    1486633

Link

Yeah St.Fintins played well against the wind and as in my previous post I expected Glynn to struggle if Fanning was out.
If I had of known that Alan Cowman and Michael Doyle were injured as well I would have made St.Fintins favs.
After seeing the first match I think this will be the year that St.James make the breakthrough. They are very well balanced and with Matthew O Hanlon back they are very strong around the middle of the park.
Their big plus is Graeme in the back line. He is head and shoulders above every other player in this grade and I cant see how St.Fintins are going to nullify his presence.

Paull (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 22/09/2013 13:53:50    1486648

Link

I was at the two intermediate games over the weekend, James' were very impressive against very poor Bunclody side.
St Fintans were also impressive, against a Barntown side that I would have fancied to go all the way, it could have been a case of Barntown underestimating/thinking they only had to show up.
Should make for a good final, with James to nick it, Molloy should control the game and lead the ramsgrange men to victory.

On another note I hope Aidan O Brien was at the matches..... Both Molloy's were good, as was O'grady and M O Hanlon impressive too.
For the Fintans Wadding was impressive, how anyone can play Rob Tierney in a county team before Wadding is beyond me, Fintans half back line was good, names elude me, while Rob dempsey (when given the ball) was good too. O Regan kicked some good scores but didn't stand out like I expected.

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 23/09/2013 12:43:05    1487353

Link

Fintans worthy winners today. Were well on top all over the park and could have been out of sight at half time if they had of converted their goals chances. St. James's were disappointing, forwards coughed up an awful amount of turnover ball.

jpb (Wexford) - Posts: 132 - 05/10/2013 20:06:12    1496367

Link

So it's sarsfields v fethard followed by st martins v shells this weekend. Great to see some new teams in latter stages this year. Any predictions? For me both games will be tight and could go either way,

groundhog (Wexford) - Posts: 4 - 07/10/2013 20:41:00    1497455

Link

Think both games will be tight aswel,Il go for fethard over sarsfields,think sarsfields will find it hard to break down fethards blanket defence as there forwards can sometimes play as individuals, I think the martins will just shade the other game as they have a little bit more quality all over the pitch

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 07/10/2013 21:43:35    1497504

Link

I agree with yas regarding tight games - Sars can be selfish and play as individuals (sometimes this is a good thing as need someone to grab game by scruff of the neck) but think both Sars and Fethard are way inferior to the other two teams and predict whoever wins 2nd game will win final easily!!! Bold statement i know, but from outside looking in.
Disagree slightly that Martins have more quality all over field, if anything its their 2 strongest players are better than 2/3 shels strongest as individuals but overall the standard of player in shels team is better than Martins for sure (Martins have a lot of converted footballers from hurling) Ex: Shels subs against the Annes the last day to come on are serious players (Murphy, Cash and Griffith), not sure what is going on maybe injuries, maybe lads away working but they seems to have rotational system going on, those 3 would make any other team in the county. But Form goes out the window Sunday and can be anyones game. Martins would be slight favourites for me as they seem to be concentrating on Football over last year or two. Time will tell. Hopefully we see decent games regardless.

barntown_betty (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 08/10/2013 10:49:08    1497597

Link

Well done to fintans. Fantastic achievement. My previous predictions havent been great but here goes!
Shels r good all over the field but martins have the best player in wexford at the min in daithi and have better forwards. Martins full back line cud be weak tho. Banville cud cause damage if left in there. Sars have done well to get this far without possibly their two most important players over the last few yrs(gore and hanrahan). But i think fethard are hungrier, never give up and have some very good forwards. Rowe foley and tubritt will cause damage. Fethard-martins final!

Giveitalash (Wexford) - Posts: 12 - 09/10/2013 13:46:35    1498426

Link