Wexford Forum

Championship Structures

(Oldest Posts First)

Thought I'd start a new thread on this, because it comes up from time to time in the main ones, but then gets lost again.

Was looking over the proposals put forward by CPA for how a split season might work in future years. Basically it boils down to:
- Colleges competitions in January
- Inter-county to run February to mid-July (County Leagues can run with clubs playing without their inter-county players)
- Club championships to run mid-July to mid-October
- Provincial and All-Ireland club to run late October to December

Presume there'd be scope for counties to start their club championships earlier than mid-July if they're already out of inter-county hurling and football.

But what strikes me is that if Wexford intended to run the usual championships of two groups of six, followed by three rounds of knock-out, that's a total of 16 weeks needed. And if we did happen to reach an All-Ireland Hurling Final, for example, there simply aren't 16 weeks then between when the club championships would be starting and when they need to be finished. Particularly since you'd probably be giving the All-Ireland squad a week off before expecting them to be back in action with their clubs, to allow them to celebrate by having a few jagerbombs or whatever :)

So, would people be willing to accept a shorter club championship with fewer matches in return for a defined season? Or alternatively, would they accept a "play it quicker" version of the usual format, where you could be playing Sunday/Wednesday/Sunday/Wednesday for a couple of weeks, in order to get 16 rounds of matches played in maybe only 12 or 14 weeks?

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 410 - 17/09/2020 10:53:19    2292628

Link

I'd don't care what way the intercounty season operates before this but here are some dates that should be set in stone:

All Ireland hurling semis 1st Sunday in July
All Ireland football semis 2nd Sunday in July
All Ireland hurling final 3rd Sunday in July
All Ireland football final 4th Sunday in July

19 years out of every 20 we will be able to start local club championships on the 3rd Sunday in July.

8 weeks for both Hurling and football brings it to October 31st. More often than not we won't make it to the semis in either hurling or football, so clubs in this circumstance could be underway on the first weekend in July. Bringing the co.finals forward to mid October. So each year co boards all over the country could provisionally plan around club championship starting on the first weekend in July and the few counties who make the semis of the intercounty can just postpone their clubs for a few weeks. Under this system at least 24 counties could start their club championships on first weekend in July.

Club leagues April, may, June
Club championships July, August, September, October.

No April club championship and 3 month gap til next game. No need for clubs to be back training in the slop in January for 2 games in April. Less expensive on clubs, less onerous on players, more enjoyable, more important club games during the summer months.

There is no better system than the divisions of 12, 2 groups of 6, that we have. Every club gets 5 games at least. With almost each game being meaningful.

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 233 - 17/09/2020 11:45:09    2292645

Link

I think it may be time to scale back the championship to 10 teams and create a Senior B by bringing up the best of the Intermediate and do away with Intermediate A. If the bottom two teams get dropped each year to Senior B and the two finalists come up I guarantee you that each game in the league will be like a knockout. I watched the intermediate final this year and Crossabeg will struggle next year in Senior. The difference between them and the top teams in Senior is very wide but the difference between them and the bottom is perhaps not that wide. Football would even be worse.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 981 - 17/09/2020 16:51:32    2292740

Link