Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

So who's going to be best suited to win a possible condensed local championship this year..

Hurleronthequay (Wexford) - Posts: 4 - 10/04/2020 21:16:30    2275734

Link

Replying To Hurleronthequay:  "So who's going to be best suited to win a possible condensed local championship this year.."
Impossible to make predictions as all teams are in the same boat so to speak. There is absolutely no collective training anwhere and individuals would be confined to a bit of running and tapping a ball around in their gardens, if they have a garden. So really no team has an advantage over another. As always with everything in sport the cream will always come to the top. I would imagine that when this awful virus is gone that at least one week of training will be mandatory so as to build up the fitness levels somewhat and shake off the many layers of cobwebs and weight gain that would have accumulated since the lockdown began.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 480 - 11/04/2020 12:34:51    2275761

Link

There wont be a winner as there wont be a championship

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1390 - 13/04/2020 16:55:18    2275906

Link

I feel that if there is a window of opportunity for competitions to be played this year, less likely by the day as it is, then for this year the preference should be given to the club's over the inter county championships. It would be a strong symbolic gesture by the GAA, highlighting the hope of community in these dark times and rewarding clubs for the great work volunteers have done in helping the elderly and vulnerable in their parishes and communities with grocery deliveries etc. Also with the local championships there would be less travel involved and a smaller risk of cross contamination along with a more viable prospect of matches being played behind closed doors or limited spectatorship if necessary. For too long the club player has had to have idle summers to accommodate the inter county scene, maybe this year there could be an opportunity to do something different.

Deisewexican (Waterford) - Posts: 30 - 14/04/2020 01:23:34    2275923

Link

There will be no intercounty this year,
Chances of any club champ going ahead are very very slim also

lefty (Wexford) - Posts: 83 - 14/04/2020 09:40:48    2275930

Link

Replying To lefty:  "There will be no intercounty this year,
Chances of any club champ going ahead are very very slim also"
Can't see it either to be honest. We defo won't have an inter county championship lads... how can they?? Don't think club championship will happen either.

logger (Wexford) - Posts: 255 - 14/04/2020 10:27:04    2275932

Link

relation of mine who knows a few of players,said he was glad for a break.they are still training individually,but when they want.
maybe this is the re-set button for the gaa.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3839 - 16/04/2020 09:20:55    2276081

Link

A few months on and we now have a championship so I'll put it out there again, who do you think is in the best position to win it this year... and who might be a surprise packet. My own club have a win win this year, no relegation and an opportunity to blood the young lads and build, we wont be in the mix but vital year for experience.... gwan the Harriers

Hurleronthequay (Wexford) - Posts: 4 - 16/07/2020 22:59:27    2284273

Link

Definitely go with the Martin's again they might not even be tested to many good players and can now concentrate on senior club hurling

Wexpurebred (Wexford) - Posts: 123 - 16/07/2020 23:12:59    2284274

Link

Replying To Hurleronthequay:  "A few months on and we now have a championship so I'll put it out there again, who do you think is in the best position to win it this year... and who might be a surprise packet. My own club have a win win this year, no relegation and an opportunity to blood the young lads and build, we wont be in the mix but vital year for experience.... gwan the Harriers"
I think the teams to emerge from each group will be gorey,shels ferns/ harriers, annes/ rathnure and Martins/ oulart

Stating the obvious but I'd have Martins favourites, gorey 2nd, rathnure 3rd with ferns, shels and annes all around the same level after that. Ye will be interesting with McGrath and the miners coming through but maybe a year or 2 too early

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2602 - 16/07/2020 23:24:00    2284276

Link