Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurlers 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jobber:  "Shane O Brien managed Oulart to a Leinster, Noel Larkin coached Galway to the All Ireland, Paudie O Neill coach to Tipperary when they reached All Ireland. S and C man ex Galway. Tell us what wonder men you would replace these with on Westmeaths budget?"
Shane O'Brien didn't manage Oulart to a Leinster. He came in as an assistant to Frank Flannery and they got beaten in the county final the year he was with them, they had been going for 3 in a row.

The S&C man isn't ex Galway! He's only a young lad. Łukas is the main S&C man in Galway and has been for years.

Noel Larkin has a good record but the feedback from players is the training completely lacks intensity... Frank Flannery was the guy bringing the intensity and organisation and he's gone.

I don't believe for one second that those guys couldn't be matched for ability by for example Johnny Greville, Kevin O'Brien etc

I agree re S&C. Too much chopping and changing. Need consistency over a number of years

CaddyParroll (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 08/06/2021 09:13:26    2348905

Link

Shane O' Brien did not train Oulart the Ballagh to a Leinster club title. Maybe he did in Camogie. Frank Flannery from Cork was the Oulart manager.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 08/06/2021 09:24:59    2348907

Link

The footballers' S&C was done with Wolfhound Fitness (Crossfit gym) and their owner/coach Joe Nangle. I know Jack Cooney himself is in fantastic shape for his age and also trains with Wolfhound. Take a quick look at the footballers compared to the hurlers and you'll see clear physical differences. It wouldn't necessarily be a case of signing the squad up to the same gym/coach and expecting to see big changes in a year. The footballers historically have had a better culture of S&C and have been developed athletically over a longer period. I'm sure part of that is more competition for places on the squad as well as taking personal responsibility for their conditioning. Either way it's a long term approach that's required here for the hurlers.

Regardless of the above points, there's still no dedicated S&C facility for the county teams. A centre of excellence with multiple pitches and a well-specced gym are badly needed. I don't know if the county board has a dedicated senior S&C coach or resource to coordinate the teams or implement a long term strategy centrally but that would be an obvious place to start also.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 08/06/2021 10:13:12    2348914

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "The footballers' S&C was done with Wolfhound Fitness (Crossfit gym) and their owner/coach Joe Nangle. I know Jack Cooney himself is in fantastic shape for his age and also trains with Wolfhound. Take a quick look at the footballers compared to the hurlers and you'll see clear physical differences. It wouldn't necessarily be a case of signing the squad up to the same gym/coach and expecting to see big changes in a year. The footballers historically have had a better culture of S&C and have been developed athletically over a longer period. I'm sure part of that is more competition for places on the squad as well as taking personal responsibility for their conditioning. Either way it's a long term approach that's required here for the hurlers.

Regardless of the above points, there's still no dedicated S&C facility for the county teams. A centre of excellence with multiple pitches and a well-specced gym are badly needed. I don't know if the county board has a dedicated senior S&C coach or resource to coordinate the teams or implement a long term strategy centrally but that would be an obvious place to start also."
joe and jack both learned how to train properly with someone else in mullingar. anyone involved in S&C coaching and will know who it is and the camogie team were training in there last year.
I don't know what has happened the camogie team this year but they put in huge work to win their AI title.
as someone else said, there is no base.
they've been wasting time with the barracks when they should have been pushing for money to build a dedicated centre

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1818 - 08/06/2021 10:49:00    2348927

Link

And not to stick the boot in... But what is going on with Noel Conaty playing in goals?

CaddyParroll (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 08/06/2021 12:04:55    2348945

Link

Replying To CaddyParroll:  "And not to stick the boot in... But what is going on with Noel Conaty playing in goals?"
Not really sure. We have keepers in the county but i think commitment would be an issue.
Ive heard McHugh from Raharney is back in training so he may be the main man for the McDonagh.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 139 - 08/06/2021 12:32:36    2348956

Link

Really important we get Niall O'Brien, Killian Doyle and Shane Williams right for the Joe Mcdonagh as Davy Glennon is out for the rest of the season apparently.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 08/06/2021 13:33:21    2348970

Link

Replying To CaddyParroll:  "And not to stick the boot in... But what is going on with Noel Conaty playing in goals?"
Conaty is over 30 by now but he's probably still better than some of the outfield subs. Great guy, good coach, and a talented hurler for sure but never a goalie. Shane McGovern was mentioned previously a few times but as pointed out he's not played in goals for at least 5 years now. He only wanted to be considered as an outfield player so I doubt he'll ever play there again.

I always thought we'd see more of young Maher who was the U21 goalie when we beat KK. He never really got an extended run for his club. Has he emigrated or stopped playing?

Any chance of your namesake from St Brigids making himself available for selection?

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 08/06/2021 13:59:44    2348984

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "Conaty is over 30 by now but he's probably still better than some of the outfield subs. Great guy, good coach, and a talented hurler for sure but never a goalie. Shane McGovern was mentioned previously a few times but as pointed out he's not played in goals for at least 5 years now. He only wanted to be considered as an outfield player so I doubt he'll ever play there again.

I always thought we'd see more of young Maher who was the U21 goalie when we beat KK. He never really got an extended run for his club. Has he emigrated or stopped playing?

Any chance of your namesake from St Brigids making himself available for selection?"
Infairness if I got man of the match in a league game and then got dropped for the next game for an inferior goalie from one the 'big clubs' for no apparent reason i'd never make myself available for selection again.

Leftpeg1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 50 - 08/06/2021 22:18:31    2349114

Link

Paddy Carroll will be a better keeper than Seán Greville or Ollie Gallagher by the time he retires based on this forum. Not sure if he's the solution even if he did make himself available. Puckouts are long but old school, modern keeper has to be one of the most skilful players on the team, probably explains management's thinking re Noel Conaty in goals. Conaty could be solution if he was 4-5 years younger. Unfortunately there's no keeper in county who ticks all the boxes. Andrew Mitchell arguably the best and obviously not a solution based on age. Young Mulkerrins sometimes or often plays outfield for his club.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 09/06/2021 09:44:32    2349149

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Paddy Carroll will be a better keeper than Seán Greville or Ollie Gallagher by the time he retires based on this forum. Not sure if he's the solution even if he did make himself available. Puckouts are long but old school, modern keeper has to be one of the most skilful players on the team, probably explains management's thinking re Noel Conaty in goals. Conaty could be solution if he was 4-5 years younger. Unfortunately there's no keeper in county who ticks all the boxes. Andrew Mitchell arguably the best and obviously not a solution based on age. Young Mulkerrins sometimes or often plays outfield for his club."
I believe Mulkearns was to be the goalkeeper only for being deemed ineligible due to his age just before the league.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 09/06/2021 10:47:28    2349160

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "I believe Mulkearns was to be the goalkeeper only for being deemed ineligible due to his age just before the league."
He probably wont get his place on the Raharney team. Needs to prove he can do it with club before making the step up to county level. Agreed with previous comments about the keeper needing to be the most skilful player on the pitch. They need to be solid under a high ball, cat like reflexes and pin point with passing from 20 yards to 80/90 yards.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 139 - 09/06/2021 13:25:50    2349195

Link

Very youthful bench for tomorrow. Hopefully some of them get game time giving the irrelevance of the game.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 12/06/2021 22:22:30    2350005

Link

Spirited performance today. The lads can hold their heads high this evening. The higher work rate and physicality was clear to see. The fitness levels and squad depth of All Ireland champions shone through in the last 15-20 mins as we got tired.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 13/06/2021 15:30:45    2350212

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "Spirited performance today. The lads can hold their heads high this evening. The higher work rate and physicality was clear to see. The fitness levels and squad depth of All Ireland champions shone through in the last 15-20 mins as we got tired."
We hurled well for 50/55 mins, played some nice stuff and took some classy scores. They just pulled away in the last 10 minutes or so with their strength in depth, we tired and faded out of it and they got the late goals then. We can definitely take confidence from that performance against the All Ireland champions heading into the Joe Mcdonagh in a few weeks time.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 13/06/2021 16:07:08    2350238

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "We hurled well for 50/55 mins, played some nice stuff and took some classy scores. They just pulled away in the last 10 minutes or so with their strength in depth, we tired and faded out of it and they got the late goals then. We can definitely take confidence from that performance against the All Ireland champions heading into the Joe Mcdonagh in a few weeks time."
relegation playoff against Laois is v important too, hopefully westmeath beginning to hit a bit of form after today.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 543 - 13/06/2021 16:33:29    2350258

Link

Replying To preddan:  "relegation playoff against Laois is v important too, hopefully westmeath beginning to hit a bit of form after today."
Yes equally as important but strangely that game is to be played after the Joe Mcdonagh

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 13/06/2021 16:35:20    2350261

Link

Much better today in fairness

Though have it on good hand that Limerick were in the Woodlands in Adare training on Friday and Saturday

If we play like that we should be too good for lines if Carlow and Kerry. The McDonagh isn't the same quality it was when Antrim and Laois were in it

CaddyParroll (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 13/06/2021 17:54:43    2350318

Link

Replying To CaddyParroll:  "Much better today in fairness

Though have it on good hand that Limerick were in the Woodlands in Adare training on Friday and Saturday

If we play like that we should be too good for lines if Carlow and Kerry. The McDonagh isn't the same quality it was when Antrim and Laois were in it"
Good performance big improvement but most of us know what Carlow will bring to the table in three weeks, they hammered Meath and beat Kerry today by 20 points. We have been playing at a higher level they have been winning and its in their field. Preparation and having everybody 100% will be crucial. Iarmhi Abu

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 921 - 13/06/2021 19:15:20    2350396

Link

With the league games behind us now, my team for the Carlow game in Joe Mcdonagh cup would be

Noel Conaty
Darragh Egerton
Tommy Doyle
Tommy Gallagher
Aaron Craig
Aonghus Clarke
Shane Clavin
Cormac Boyle
Robbie Greville
Josh Coll
Killian Doyle
Derek McNicholas
Niall O'Brien
Ciaran Doyle
Shane Williams

Davy Glennon is definitely out. Killian Doyle is a doubt but still has a few weeks to try get himself right.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 13/06/2021 22:36:57    2350544

Link