Sligo Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

At the risk of being pilloried I suggest our senior team should withdraw from the Connacht Championship and remaining league games with immediate effect for the following reasons;
1) we will get the mother of all hammerings below in Salthill
2) the cost of training a panel for this one game - I know there is potentially one league game, but if we lost this game we are effectively outside of a promotion opportunity leaving the last match as almost null and void.
3) the possible impact on panel members of contracting the virus as they are invariably travelling home from all over the country and in particular those who maybe working/attending college in the more affected counties of Dublin, Donegal etc
4) the potential impact of spreading the virus to the relations of the panel members
5) It is the right thing to do in the current climate

yours etc Leyny

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 07/10/2020 09:46:06    2296189

Link

Replying To leyny:  "At the risk of being pilloried I suggest our senior team should withdraw from the Connacht Championship and remaining league games with immediate effect for the following reasons;
1) we will get the mother of all hammerings below in Salthill
2) the cost of training a panel for this one game - I know there is potentially one league game, but if we lost this game we are effectively outside of a promotion opportunity leaving the last match as almost null and void.
3) the possible impact on panel members of contracting the virus as they are invariably travelling home from all over the country and in particular those who maybe working/attending college in the more affected counties of Dublin, Donegal etc
4) the potential impact of spreading the virus to the relations of the panel members
5) It is the right thing to do in the current climate

yours etc Leyny"
leyny. You are expecting a heavy defeat for your team in Salthill.
While a Galway win is the most likely outcome there are several reasons to hope.
Last year with a bit more self belief Sligo might have actually beaten Galway who were subsequently unable to overcome Roscommon in Salthill. The difference last year was only a stronger bench for the tribesmen, remember Sligo were only 2 points down at HT. This year is different to any other. Look at what is happening in the English Premiership. Liverpool have let in 7 goals for the first time in nearly 60 years. Corofin 3-in-a-row All Ireland holders did not make the county final, and the team that dethroned them did not go on to win it either. First time county champs in Galway and Knockmore causing a surprise in Mayo. Sligo are a Championship team, last year they had the worst record in the NFL, not getting a single point in all games, and then put in a mighty effort v Galway. They are, based on the League, a better team this year.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 07/10/2020 12:36:30    2296229

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "leyny. You are expecting a heavy defeat for your team in Salthill.
While a Galway win is the most likely outcome there are several reasons to hope.
Last year with a bit more self belief Sligo might have actually beaten Galway who were subsequently unable to overcome Roscommon in Salthill. The difference last year was only a stronger bench for the tribesmen, remember Sligo were only 2 points down at HT. This year is different to any other. Look at what is happening in the English Premiership. Liverpool have let in 7 goals for the first time in nearly 60 years. Corofin 3-in-a-row All Ireland holders did not make the county final, and the team that dethroned them did not go on to win it either. First time county champs in Galway and Knockmore causing a surprise in Mayo. Sligo are a Championship team, last year they had the worst record in the NFL, not getting a single point in all games, and then put in a mighty effort v Galway. They are, based on the League, a better team this year."
Your good craic ,games as far as im aware are not won or lost at ht(sligo lost by 16pts!) ,so wen liverpool lose 7-2 ,sligo have a great chance of beating galway ,ha ha ,is ur real name tommy tiernan ?ha ha

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 140 - 07/10/2020 13:31:07    2296247

Link

Firstly is the game not in Markievicz Park ?
I would not agree with not playing the game if covid rules allow games to be played.. We will not win but we knew that last Oct when the original draw was made. Pulling out of games now isn't going to save much money. No point in thinking of not spreading covid at this stage unless the other 31 teams do likewise. Personally I don't think a championship should be ran at all this year. And as for the fools that allowed 2 other county teams use Markievicz Park when one county was already on Level 3, words for once fail me.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 791 - 07/10/2020 13:45:44    2296251

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Firstly is the game not in Markievicz Park ?
I would not agree with not playing the game if covid rules allow games to be played.. We will not win but we knew that last Oct when the original draw was made. Pulling out of games now isn't going to save much money. No point in thinking of not spreading covid at this stage unless the other 31 teams do likewise. Personally I don't think a championship should be ran at all this year. And as for the fools that allowed 2 other county teams use Markievicz Park when one county was already on Level 3, words for once fail me."
We had Galway in Markievicz last year so it's their turn to host it. I agree though while we haven't much hope of winning I think it'd be a bigger disgrace not to field a team. Maybe those who are taking charge of teams should do like the rest of us and take a pay cut as at the end of the day it's meant to be a voluntary job and 'expenses' only. We were never awash with cash in Sligo and I'd imagine this year is ten times as bad!

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 72 - 08/10/2020 23:37:02    2296497

Link

What 15 are we looking at for the remaining two league games and then the trip to Salthill? Any new faces into the panel?

downsouth18 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 09/10/2020 12:06:59    2296544

Link

We are gone over a thousand cases a day for the virus. How stupid and greedy are the GAA going to look if they continue to pursue football to the detriment of people's health, work and livelihood. Roscommon Bus parked in Boyle today where a meeting/function/ which included caterer's was taking place. I applaud the people who rang the guards and reported them. How could anyone not miss that dreadful looking bus.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 791 - 10/10/2020 22:01:52    2296738

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "We are gone over a thousand cases a day for the virus. How stupid and greedy are the GAA going to look if they continue to pursue football to the detriment of people's health, work and livelihood. Roscommon Bus parked in Boyle today where a meeting/function/ which included caterer's was taking place. I applaud the people who rang the guards and reported them. How could anyone not miss that dreadful looking bus."
Good to see that Sligo bows down to our neighbours once again and allowed a game between Roscommon and Donegal in the Centre of Excellence yesterday following on from Mayo and Donegal last week in Markievicz. Theres kids at underage level who can't get in to play in either and for the sake of a few euro we let two of the worst preforming COVID counties in to our facilities!

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 72 - 11/10/2020 11:55:36    2296781

Link