Limerick Forum

Limerick Hurlers - Clubs

(Oldest Posts First)

Great win for Limerick Seniors yesterday, Minors beat Cork on Saturday and under 20s lost to Cork after Extra Time. Where are all these players coming from and what clubs are providing the players ?
61 players were used in the 3 matchs coming from 26 different clubs , 26 players from the city division, 16 from the South, 13 from the East and 6 from the West. Patrickswell had most players with 8 wearing the green jersey this weekend.

Patrickswell 8
Doon 7
Na Piarsaigh 5
Ballybrown 4
Bruff 4
Kilmallock 3
Mungret 3
Adare 2
Ahane 2
Blackrock 2
Effin 2
Garryspillane 2
Kildimo Pallas 2
Monaleen 2
Newcastle West 2
Cappamore 1
Castletown/Bgran 1
Crecora 1
Dromin/Athlacca 1
Feohanagh 1
Glenroe 1
Kilteely/Dromkeen 1
Murroe/Boher 1
St Patricks 1
South Liberties 1
Templeglantine 1

hurler32 (Limerick) - Posts: 849 - 14/12/2020 12:16:47    2322260

Link

That's a great spread of clubs. Not surprised to see Doon, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell at the top of the list - three clubs with great underage structures. At the other end of the list, are South Liberties underachieving? It's a club with a rich history, and a big population base, and three very large primary schools in the parish.

football first (None) - Posts: 1227 - 14/12/2020 13:00:17    2322276

Link

Looking at unused subs and extended panels it increases numbers further for some of the bigger clubs but 9 other clubs also have representation Ballybricken , Feenagh/Kilmeedy , Granagh/Bgarry ,Hospital, KIlleedy, Knockaderry, Knockainey, Pallasgreen & Rathkeale, bringing the number of clubs represented to 35.

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 325 - 14/12/2020 13:16:01    2322281

Link

Great to see. No doubt the spread will get bigger and bigger

upthetreatyboys (Limerick) - Posts: 97 - 14/12/2020 20:45:36    2322443

Link

Great to see the spread of clubs. Probably a result of the underage setup and academies been run well with players from junior, immediate clubs getting the same opportunities as players from the traditionally strong clubs. For years players from smaller clubs probably got lost as they were not playing at the higher grade at club level but these players are now getting the coaching, conditioning through the academies.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 15/12/2020 12:34:06    2322583

Link

Replying To football first:  "That's a great spread of clubs. Not surprised to see Doon, Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell at the top of the list - three clubs with great underage structures. At the other end of the list, are South Liberties underachieving? It's a club with a rich history, and a big population base, and three very large primary schools in the parish."
In the last few years they've set up a proper academy and have great facilities and it looks quite professional now so they could rise again in the years ahead. You can see drone footage on their Facebook page or the academy, looks impressive.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 16/12/2020 06:21:47    2322795

Link

Great spread of clubs. There are some noticeable trends that stand out for me. Not a sinner from the once mighty Claughaun. That clubs hurling side is almost defunct yet didn't want to join with St Patricks,Old Christians underage. They shouldn't have been given a choice. Good to see the Newcastlewest representation and ditto for Mungret . And of course the small rural clubs like feonanagh ect.
Id like to see Newcastlewest senior. To be honest I'd like to see their hurling side form its own club.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1424 - 16/12/2020 07:03:50    2322796

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Great spread of clubs. There are some noticeable trends that stand out for me. Not a sinner from the once mighty Claughaun. That clubs hurling side is almost defunct yet didn't want to join with St Patricks,Old Christians underage. They shouldn't have been given a choice. Good to see the Newcastlewest representation and ditto for Mungret . And of course the small rural clubs like feonanagh ect.
Id like to see Newcastlewest senior. To be honest I'd like to see their hurling side form its own club."
Clueless nonsense

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 16/12/2020 11:41:15    2322831

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Great spread of clubs. There are some noticeable trends that stand out for me. Not a sinner from the once mighty Claughaun. That clubs hurling side is almost defunct yet didn't want to join with St Patricks,Old Christians underage. They shouldn't have been given a choice. Good to see the Newcastlewest representation and ditto for Mungret . And of course the small rural clubs like feonanagh ect.
Id like to see Newcastlewest senior. To be honest I'd like to see their hurling side form its own club."
In fairness to Claughaun they are competing with big junior soccer and senior rugby club's close by them who are paying players, I think the all Ireland wins in 2018 and 2020 will help st Patrick's and claughaun in the future because more young lads are getting interested in hurling. The Limerick county board should be putting up posters of Georoid Hegarty all over the south area of the city to raise the profile of hurling.

Newcastlewest is not big enough to accommodate 2 gaa clubs, even the 2 soccer clubs in the town United and Rovers amalgamated 2 or 3 years ago to form Newcastlewest town. The gaa club gives hurling and football equal dedication if there was 2 separate clubs I think it would only weaken gaa in the town. Newcastlewest always had a decent enough intermediate hurling team but the fact is they are just better at football.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 916 - 16/12/2020 18:55:29    2322973

Link

Claughaun was part of the southside geals experiment, most felt that it done more damage then good for numbers playing the game,they have started to enter teams on their own, very little success but it's a start,they were able to field two adult sides in hurling last year, the first team had reached the county semi final before games were stopped , must have being doing something right, hopefully winning the football might get more numbers in playing both codes, Newcastle West are a great club and delighted to see them win the intermediate hurling this year, going in the right direction, mungret will in the next ten years become the new na piarsaigh, they have done amazing work at building the underage and will see the benefits at adult over the next few years.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 03/01/2021 12:27:48    2325846

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Claughaun was part of the southside geals experiment, most felt that it done more damage then good for numbers playing the game,they have started to enter teams on their own, very little success but it's a start,they were able to field two adult sides in hurling last year, the first team had reached the county semi final before games were stopped , must have being doing something right, hopefully winning the football might get more numbers in playing both codes, Newcastle West are a great club and delighted to see them win the intermediate hurling this year, going in the right direction, mungret will in the next ten years become the new na piarsaigh, they have done amazing work at building the underage and will see the benefits at adult over the next few years."
I'm inclied to agree with everything bar your Mungret comment. Instead of combining Christians Claughan Ballinacurra and Pats the county board should have 2-3 dedicated GDA's for the southside of the city focusing on promotion of the games in primary schools and getting the clubs organised properly. How many hundreds of kids in this area go through primary school having never held a hurley? Dublin had the exact same issues and used their funding appropriately, they have 70 full time employed GDA's we have 5. Limerick CB should be focusing resources on more full time coaches at underage in the areas where GAA is not strong - now is the time with success in both codes.

PS - re your comment on Mungret, I've been hearing about the explosion in population driving mungret success for a long time now with very little translating to their adult teams, I think Monaleen are more likely to emerge as another big player in Limerick hurling, fantastic well organised club with the same huge numbers now playing at juvenile level.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 04/01/2021 10:06:34    2325911

Link

Strong rumors around that Anthony Nash is to join liberties as a player coach..could make a huge difference to the club,as they definitely have makings of a decent team..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1229 - 04/01/2021 10:59:14    2325920

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "Strong rumors around that Anthony Nash is to join liberties as a player coach..could make a huge difference to the club,as they definitely have makings of a decent team.."
Does he live in Limerick? I know his family are steeped in South Liberties hurling but he's hardly planning on driving up 3/4 days a week??

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 04/01/2021 13:33:57    2325933

Link

Is it the case that Clubs like Mungret, Monaleen, Na Piarsaigh and those close to the city Patrickswell, Ballybrown etc are taking over with a few traditional clubs like Doon, Kilmallock, Bruff well organised clubs hanging onto their coattails.

Where are the small rural clubs going on their own ? All great keeping an identity but not much good if you can hardly field a team and are playing bottom division in every age .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 325 - 04/01/2021 15:53:07    2325955

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "I'm inclied to agree with everything bar your Mungret comment. Instead of combining Christians Claughan Ballinacurra and Pats the county board should have 2-3 dedicated GDA's for the southside of the city focusing on promotion of the games in primary schools and getting the clubs organised properly. How many hundreds of kids in this area go through primary school having never held a hurley? Dublin had the exact same issues and used their funding appropriately, they have 70 full time employed GDA's we have 5. Limerick CB should be focusing resources on more full time coaches at underage in the areas where GAA is not strong - now is the time with success in both codes.

PS - re your comment on Mungret, I've been hearing about the explosion in population driving mungret success for a long time now with very little translating to their adult teams, I think Monaleen are more likely to emerge as another big player in Limerick hurling, fantastic well organised club with the same huge numbers now playing at juvenile level."
100% agree with you on the GDA for the three Southside clubs, going back a few years the three clubs asked for this, alot of empty promises, in fairness to the clubs, St patricks seem to been putting major work into the U8 to U12, claughaun are starting to do the same but a bit behind, ballinacurra way ahead of old Christians they need alot of help and really hope they don't fall away,huge population but all need help, one GDA for those clubs and na piarsaigh get one for there selves, I know monaleen have huge numbers and doing great work, but feel they have same issues as the southside clubs, soccer and rugby, maybe I'm wrong just been very impressed with mungret underage last 6-8 years.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 06/01/2021 03:01:19    2326234

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Is it the case that Clubs like Mungret, Monaleen, Na Piarsaigh and those close to the city Patrickswell, Ballybrown etc are taking over with a few traditional clubs like Doon, Kilmallock, Bruff well organised clubs hanging onto their coattails.

Where are the small rural clubs going on their own ? All great keeping an identity but not much good if you can hardly field a team and are playing bottom division in every age ."
Better to keep your own identity, it just shows with our county team, John kiely picks the best, doesn't matter if your senior, senior b, prem intermediate, intermediate or junior, we want more playing hurling, when you join up, the lesser players fall away and are lost, from my experience it doesn't work long term.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 556 - 06/01/2021 03:06:24    2326235

Link