Leitrim Forum

Connacht JFC Final 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "i just see now that Leitrim will without a number of key members of the team after they played for the County Senior team in the Connacht Senior Championship and All-Ireland Qualifiers. I change my mind now Kerry to win by a bit to spare."
A bit to spare. I would be surprised if it's under 15 points.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 293 - 19/07/2017 08:56:13    2019064

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "zero chance - this junior all Ireland semi final will really show the gulf in class between Kerry and ourselves. No offence to the Leitrim boys proudly representing our county at all - and fine footballers they are indeed But... let's live in the real world...

Going back to our club structures and comparing them to kerrys-

Kerry will have junior clubs training harder and more committed than our mohills or glencar/manors - their junior clubs have better qualified coaches and better underage structures than our county teams do and their players grow up with a winning mentality.

They play not only divisional teams in their senior champs but also play divisional championships too ( for expample the north Kerry champ is fiercly contested each year between all first teams in north Kerry ) same goes for mid Kerry , east Kerry etc..

So bear this in mind that all these club teams are primed and playing champ football from 1-2 months ago and have a few round of the Kerry senior and intermediate leagues and champs played already.

And saying that our senior inter county team wouldn't win a Kerry junior champ or be as committed as it put in as much effort as a junior club team in Kerry - never mind senior- that would be a fair reflection I would say of our players and clubs at this time

I hope Terence Boyle reads this and realises how bad we are !!!!

So no - Kerry will win at a canter on the 22nd!!!"
You talk some muck on here . ... So now your an expert on the coaching set ups of Kerry junior club teams .. Can u tell us who are the clubs you refer to with a better set up than our intercounty team cause I can assure you Junior in Kerry or Mayo or Dublin at club level is bog basic cause it comes down to finance. They have divisional teams that raise the standards of competitions for players . Kerry hammered Mayo in 2 all Ireland's in the last 4 years and have an u-23 policy for players using the grade rightly to breed players for senior. Stop using forum to have a cut at everything , your like a headless chicken the last 3 weeks blaming everything from county board/players/ management / back room team / clubs...... At end of day we have youngest panel in the country probably, we were beat by a Rossies team that also humiliated Galway in their own back yard and a Carlow team that showed against Monaghan despite our snobbery against them they are no bad team and are 3 years ahead of us in terms of development...you just had to see the massive back room team they have that was released during week to see how much money and resources has been put into them. We must Keep the players we have together be patient and support them ( when they start to do the right things off the field). Management I don't feel is good enough but not sure who else would take the job, it's a place that can end you as a manger ( our previous manger Is now coaching underage in Donegal) not even a club team. This is especially true as at the start of every year we say as supporters we would be happy with getting out of division 4 or at least improving our position and then once beaten in championship we want county board/ managers / club structures all changed ..... Same every year now . I am realistic and agree this weekend will be a bridge too far . Wish everyone that takes the field the best of luck leave it all out there.. Demanding better standards yes , but constantly belittling ourselves does not benefit anyone

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 19/07/2017 13:35:53    2019264

Link

Best of luck to the team tomorrow. Facing a really tough task against a excellent young Kerry side hope they give a good account of themselves. Hopefully they get decent support too.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 21/07/2017 11:52:49    2020478

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Best of luck to the team tomorrow. Facing a really tough task against a excellent young Kerry side hope they give a good account of themselves. Hopefully they get decent support too."
Does anyone know where the lads will be assembling for pints tomorrow evening ?

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 21/07/2017 12:06:00    2020488

Link

Went down to the game yesterday. After a bright start we struggled badly against a fitter and physically stronger Kerry side. In the second half with the introduction of the Lowe brothers and a few others we improved a lot and had we taken some of the excellent goal chances we created we could have been closer at the end. For a team missing 8 of the connacht final team and who only had one training session in preparation for this game i think they gave a good account of themselves.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 23/07/2017 10:15:59    2021502

Link

But Greenandgold that's the problem. The players if given the best preparation are good enough. The environment must be right. Good manager/ good coaches/ proper people in roles such as S&C coach, sports psychologist/ nutritionist/ video analysis/ Physio/ doctor etc this is the basics as a county set up. None of the above will give you an edge just keep you afloat if they are at the top of the game. Marginal gains are got from other factors. Being innovative is where you can make marginal gains. We have a county board and county setup devoid of ambition or innovation so don't expect much in the near future.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 23/07/2017 20:18:55    2022012

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "A bit to spare. I would be surprised if it's under 15 points."
In the end only by a bit to spare and Leitrim may have won if they got to play the team that beat both Mayo and Galway in Connacht. Kerry will now go on to hammer Meath in the final.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2492 - 24/07/2017 06:34:34    2022213

Link

Replying To po3nmotion:  "But Greenandgold that's the problem. The players if given the best preparation are good enough. The environment must be right. Good manager/ good coaches/ proper people in roles such as S&C coach, sports psychologist/ nutritionist/ video analysis/ Physio/ doctor etc this is the basics as a county set up. None of the above will give you an edge just keep you afloat if they are at the top of the game. Marginal gains are got from other factors. Being innovative is where you can make marginal gains. We have a county board and county setup devoid of ambition or innovation so don't expect much in the near future."
I agree but the lads on duty on Saturday never gave up and for once this year as a Leitrim supporter I wasn't embarrassed by the performance. Yes you need to have all those people on board you mentioned psychologists, doctors etc as its vital preparation in the modern game.
However when the chips are down its up to the players. A few weeks ago it was on this forum that one or two players fed up of hearing about the 94 team, maybe they should have listened and could have learned something. Can you imagine what would happen in Kerry if the young players were turning their nose up at hearing about Mick O Dwyer's 4 in a row all Ireland winning teams? or young LFC players doing similar about the exploits of the great past Liverpool teams? It would be deemed as being disrespectful and they would be ran from the place.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 24/07/2017 09:44:46    2022277

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "I agree but the lads on duty on Saturday never gave up and for once this year as a Leitrim supporter I wasn't embarrassed by the performance. Yes you need to have all those people on board you mentioned psychologists, doctors etc as its vital preparation in the modern game.
However when the chips are down its up to the players. A few weeks ago it was on this forum that one or two players fed up of hearing about the 94 team, maybe they should have listened and could have learned something. Can you imagine what would happen in Kerry if the young players were turning their nose up at hearing about Mick O Dwyer's 4 in a row all Ireland winning teams? or young LFC players doing similar about the exploits of the great past Liverpool teams? It would be deemed as being disrespectful and they would be ran from the place."
I want to say well done to the Leitrim players who played against Kerry on Saturday for putting up a good fight.

They performed much better than anyone,including myself thought they would.

I notice on the Kerry site that there was a Supporters Club bus to the game.This shows how Kerry have some regard for this competition.In contrast many of our key board warriors gave no credit to Leitrim for winning the Connacht title.

I hope we continue to put some effort into the Junior championship in the coming years and use it to try out younger players.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 181 - 24/07/2017 09:57:57    2022293

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "I want to say well done to the Leitrim players who played against Kerry on Saturday for putting up a good fight.

They performed much better than anyone,including myself thought they would.

I notice on the Kerry site that there was a Supporters Club bus to the game.This shows how Kerry have some regard for this competition.In contrast many of our key board warriors gave no credit to Leitrim for winning the Connacht title.

I hope we continue to put some effort into the Junior championship in the coming years and use it to try out younger players."
I gave no credit for the victory in Connacht because I knew first hand how little was done with the team and how some of them were selected. But I have good respect for the players so let's be clear on that. But winning Junior titles with 50% of the team ending up used by the seniors is a silly way to take part in the junior comp. pick a panel solely for the junior champ with an eye to using the team to build a senior panel the following year

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 24/07/2017 11:26:03    2022398

Link

Have to commend these lads on their effort, putting up a bigger fight than any of us in the county expected of this team. Just goes to show you that if some of the 8 lads that were not eligible to play from the Connacht final, had played, we could be preparing for an All Ireland. An Ireland final, be it Senior, minor, junior, u21, u17 is always something to be taken seriously. Especially, as it is such a rare thing for a small county like ourselves. Although, from what i heard, the likes of Aidan Rooney of Manor, would not let his players, (Evan Sweeney, James Glancy) players in form for their club, play as he stated it to be only a "waste of time" competition. As Martin McGowan said in the observer after his minors lost, "Clubs need to let best players play with the County, I think that we are a little bit insular in our thinking, we need to be a little bit more broad-minded and we need to let our best players out and play with the county" His exact words.

LENOVO (Australia) - Posts: 38 - 26/07/2017 18:45:10    2024079

Link

Replying To LENOVO:  "Have to commend these lads on their effort, putting up a bigger fight than any of us in the county expected of this team. Just goes to show you that if some of the 8 lads that were not eligible to play from the Connacht final, had played, we could be preparing for an All Ireland. An Ireland final, be it Senior, minor, junior, u21, u17 is always something to be taken seriously. Especially, as it is such a rare thing for a small county like ourselves. Although, from what i heard, the likes of Aidan Rooney of Manor, would not let his players, (Evan Sweeney, James Glancy) players in form for their club, play as he stated it to be only a "waste of time" competition. As Martin McGowan said in the observer after his minors lost, "Clubs need to let best players play with the County, I think that we are a little bit insular in our thinking, we need to be a little bit more broad-minded and we need to let our best players out and play with the county" His exact words."
That's a very good point Lenovo it would be hard to argue with that. That's the thing managers saving their own players for club football, we need every man pulling in the same direction as opposed of this sligo man coming in to our county and hindering our county's progression

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 26/07/2017 19:48:28    2024099

Link

Aidan Rooney is a Leitrim man, the value of the junior competition is fine if it's taken seriously and not use players that will be ineligible a few rounds later. Have a junior panel set up that train under independent management of co team and work with clubs that a training session once a week doesn't interfere with clubs trainings.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 29/07/2017 08:20:25    2025227

Link