Kerry Forum

All Ireland Championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheHermit:  "Balanced, fair and insightful as always Horse, I'll miss your post games analysis now for the winter. You wouldn't be interested in joining the backroom team, sure didn't Jack say he brought Eamon in based on the newspaper articles he started writing after he retired :)

It's a strange feeling to be sort of satisfied that we 'came close' or 'gave it a lash' after a game like this. But I must admit I'm feeling more like that at the moment, very strange indeed.

We had them you know, we really did. They were looking seriously rattled there for a while. As you said halftime came at the worst possible moment. However I thought at critical times (straight after the restart, last 6-7 minutes) we played with a bit of fear, a mindset of trying to mind the shop rather than go for the win. Perhaps its natural given the damage Dublin have done to us in the closing stages of games but I'm a gambler and would rather risk it than be conservative. At the end of the day does it matter if we lose by 2 points, or 6 or 10? A loss is a loss, and at that stage of the game it's only cosmetics for the victors.

Still as I said I'm optimistic for the future, the young lads showed they're well capable at this rarefied level. With another year of development by some of them and the guts of the team only entering their prime, I think we can give 2017 a right good push. Sure bar Dublin what's really out there instead of us??"
HORSE AND HERMIT ..as allways great posts ..very true and honest and we are all disappointed we came so close ....yes our lads played with heart ..well all bar a few ..if you look at it our subs showed no heart ..except Begley ..marc was not on long enough ...I hate too say names so I will not ..you will know for yourself ....my youngest son has never seen us beat the dubs I felt for him ..I am being a bit soppy here but my love for Kerry football has been bred into me so what can I do ..having lived in London all my life I have had to listen to clowns who nothing about our game take the piss ..because of the kerrymans love of gaelic football ..I do think it is time for eamonn to go he owes the county nothing and I think some of the back room team should go as well ..I am not being very critical as we were so good on sunday ..but this is a very good Dublin team

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 653 - 31/08/2016 08:00:35    1908486

Link

Gerry, don't be paying any heed to nitwits who mock what they don't understand. Like the fella's on the bus insulting a guy because they catch him reading a book, ignorance is the greatest disease of all in this life.

5-10 years ago I'd be sick to my stomach after Kerry lost a game like Sunday but you start to get a bit older and as a Kerry supporter I find myself much more philosophical about it all these days. I mean sport is always peaks and troughs, highs and lows. We can't complain! We'll always have more great days than bed being from Kerry. I remember being at the Meath/Westmeath match last summer and the way the Westmeath fans were celebrating after you'd swear it was an All-Ireland. You have to put it into perspective.

The first Munster final that I really remember being brought to was 1992 - some introduction to Kerry football! For the 4-5 years after that Kerry football just wasn't registering in our house things were at such a low ebb.

Then I remember 1997 and all of a sudden this great wave of hype and excitement. Eamon Walsh was a selector and one of my teachers in school then and we didn't do a tap during his economic class in the weeks leading up to the final, it was all talking about the game.
Dad couldn't sort tickets but I'll never forget when he threw us all in the car the minute the final whistle went and we drove into Tralee. I've never seen scenes like it, there was flags being waved from every window coming down Castle St, two lads dancing a jig on the small roundabout and other fella's dancing on the bonnets of the cars. Fella's were climbing over our car and banging the roof and windows and we were delighted. The parents left us off school the next day and we were watching one of the first episodes of Fr Ted in the old White House Bar up in Boherbee that night waiting to catch the open top bus coming down the town. Sure the bug had bit then.

Was devastated a year later watching on in the teeming rain as Kildare pipped us, then 2000 was epic. The final and the replay that seemed to be in almost Halloween it was so late in the year. The immortal Maurice Fitz coming off the bench to save our bacon God that was some Championship to win! A few dark years again then, myself and my Dad were probably the last 2 Kerry people left in Croker at fulltime in that bizarre semi in 01. The final where we failed to come out in the second half in 2002, watching at home aghast in 03 when this Tyrone tsunami hit. Then a second golden age, some lows, more brilliant highs and victories to savoir - startled earwigs and humbled rebels, waltzing Meehan's and bullied Bellew's!!

Incredulous after Down in 2010, ready to jump off the Upper Hogan at full time in 2011! Redemption and then lose against the Tyrone and Donegal in 2012. Sorrow in 13, glory, sweet unexpected glory, in 14 - the no show last September and the unbent knee last Sunday.

What I'm getting at is this past couple of years are only a speed bump in the long history of Kerry GAA. We played second fiddle to Down and Galway in the 1960s and we had to endure a bitter famine for most of the 1990s. As brilliant a tradition as we have, we can't be expected to always be the team to beat in such a competitive sport. There's cycles when we are only the chasing pack too, brief cycles mind!

But the future is golden (green and golden), sweet Kerry abu!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 31/08/2016 12:23:15    1908625

Link

Ya Hermit we are of similar vintage - was in the Green too and Eamon taught me as well if you had no home work done you'd engage a football conversation and the 45 min class was gone, similar if you had Tony or Scully. ah ya look we will have good and dad days, i was often told embrace the lows as the they make the higher points even higher... my first game was the Miltown/Castlemaine pitch opening in 1989 vs Dublin and the following on League game against Down in Killarney.. the bug was well and truly bitten then and like you say we endured many highs and lows were we won games, lost games - won some we should have lost and lost games we should have won.. but thats sport... like I said in another post key here now is rubberstamp Fitz or a replacement to enable them to take in the latter stages of the Championship and build towards McGrath and National League for 2017.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 31/08/2016 13:40:44    1908669

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya Hermit we are of similar vintage - was in the Green too and Eamon taught me as well if you had no home work done you'd engage a football conversation and the 45 min class was gone, similar if you had Tony or Scully. ah ya look we will have good and dad days, i was often told embrace the lows as the they make the higher points even higher... my first game was the Miltown/Castlemaine pitch opening in 1989 vs Dublin and the following on League game against Down in Killarney.. the bug was well and truly bitten then and like you say we endured many highs and lows were we won games, lost games - won some we should have lost and lost games we should have won.. but thats sport... like I said in another post key here now is rubberstamp Fitz or a replacement to enable them to take in the latter stages of the Championship and build towards McGrath and National League for 2017."
Ah Tony was a sound old fish - we used have him for religion one year and it was non stop talk about how he'd be running around trying to keep Paidi happy!

He told us a story one day about Paidi whining because the County Board had just done the deal with Adidas to supply the kits but they weren't supplying Paidi with anything for himself on the sideline. Tony had to go into town, pick up a few polo shirts and get someone to sow an Adidas logo onto them to fool him!!!

Eamon was a character too, one of my mates would devour the Kerryman and Kerry's Eye sports sections every weekend to get out of him reviewing the homework on Monday. Eamon would be just settling into the class when he'd pip up about Knocknagoshel losing a match at the weekend or (invariably) Eamon getting the red card flashed at him and off he'd go for the rest of the hour ranting about referee's!!

Some GAA family the Walsh's are...

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 31/08/2016 14:07:07    1908687

Link

I see Patrick O'Sullivan has come out saying he is 'confident' of Fitzmaurice staying on.

I'll not make any fuss if Fitzy wants to keep going, he is a great manager albeit prone to the odd strange call. We also have to admit Kerry aren't what they were and he's done really well to keep us competitive.

I think he is the best that is out there and he is doing good work bringing in the younger lads, hopefully we will see a good few more in and around the League panel next February.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 02/09/2016 13:35:29    1909460

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I see Patrick O'Sullivan has come out saying he is 'confident' of Fitzmaurice staying on.

I'll not make any fuss if Fitzy wants to keep going, he is a great manager albeit prone to the odd strange call. We also have to admit Kerry aren't what they were and he's done really well to keep us competitive.

I think he is the best that is out there and he is doing good work bringing in the younger lads, hopefully we will see a good few more in and around the League panel next February."
Ya as the week has gone it's getting a little easier to focus the mind and I agree with you hermit that Eamon is the man to take us forward but like you'd say he needs to start bring on some more young lads, how will that work as I'm sure jacko won't want his U21s playing in the league when he'll want to go all out to win his own championship.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12165 - 02/09/2016 15:19:24    1909490

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya as the week has gone it's getting a little easier to focus the mind and I agree with you hermit that Eamon is the man to take us forward but like you'd say he needs to start bring on some more young lads, how will that work as I'm sure jacko won't want his U21s playing in the league when he'll want to go all out to win his own championship."
Yes K'boy totally agree with that

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 02/09/2016 19:15:02    1909544

Link