Galway Forum

Time For A County Junior Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

On the back of Congress, the SFC and IFC will be limited to 16 teams. This will mean 2 extra teams dropping from senior to intermediate and the knock on effect of 2 more dropping from intermediate to junior.

Is it time for the county board to scrap the north and west board competitions at junior level and aim to make a proper Junior County Football Championship? At the moment there are 8 north board and 8 west board teams playing home and away games. It doesn't really give much of a championship feel to those playing I'd imagine.

(You could still leave North / West Board for Junior B,C etc)

I think it would be a good idea for the county board to look at making the Junior Championship a county competition played at neutral venues on the same weekends as senior and intermediate games. Would be a good move for the smaller clubs who's first teams are junior in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this?

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 01/03/2021 20:26:51    2333218

Link

Replying To Donaldtrump:  "On the back of Congress, the SFC and IFC will be limited to 16 teams. This will mean 2 extra teams dropping from senior to intermediate and the knock on effect of 2 more dropping from intermediate to junior.

Is it time for the county board to scrap the north and west board competitions at junior level and aim to make a proper Junior County Football Championship? At the moment there are 8 north board and 8 west board teams playing home and away games. It doesn't really give much of a championship feel to those playing I'd imagine.

(You could still leave North / West Board for Junior B,C etc)

I think it would be a good idea for the county board to look at making the Junior Championship a county competition played at neutral venues on the same weekends as senior and intermediate games. Would be a good move for the smaller clubs who's first teams are junior in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this?"
Totally agree.

Galway9801 (Galway) - Posts: 386 - 02/03/2021 20:20:27    2333344

Link

Did we not have a Junior Championship for a couple of years in the last 12 years?

ref (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 02/03/2021 22:05:06    2333359

Link

Replying To ref:  "Did we not have a Junior Championship for a couple of years in the last 12 years?"
No. Separate North and West championships with the winners of each playing each other in the county final has been the way it operates since the early 2000s anyway. Not sure how it worked before that.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 827 - 03/03/2021 09:49:26    2333377

Link

I think it works well having games home and away in junior otherwise it be tough getting neutral pitches especially same weekends as senior and intermediate on one change I'd like see is in north there are 8 teams split into 2 groups of 4 I'd like see all 8 teams in one group 7 matches ,, even in next 2 years when senior is reduced to 16 teams they could do likewise it would make a great competition

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 474 - 03/03/2021 14:42:01    2333422

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I think it works well having games home and away in junior otherwise it be tough getting neutral pitches especially same weekends as senior and intermediate on one change I'd like see is in north there are 8 teams split into 2 groups of 4 I'd like see all 8 teams in one group 7 matches ,, even in next 2 years when senior is reduced to 16 teams they could do likewise it would make a great competition"
I think there were two fixtures two years ago
Renvyle v Dunmore on a Saturday in one grade
Clifden v Dunmore on the next day in another grade

Might have been Mountbellew/Moylough. That is a long trek for a team.

ref (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 03/03/2021 18:00:34    2333448

Link

I don't think the main focus should be 2nd teams in the competition though.

I think we should look at what would benefit football in Ballinasloe, Athenry, Fr Griffins / Éire Óg, Clifden, Renvyle etc etc. I think a county junior championship with better exposure, proper neutral venues, officials, coverage etc would benefit these clubs more.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 03/03/2021 19:15:08    2333459

Link