Roscommon Forum

2021 U20 Roscommon Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To The_analyser:  "Kick out stats yesterday.

We had 25 of our own, won 20 and lost 5

Offaly had 20 kick outs and we won 9 of them.

Turnover count Offaly 24 and us 18 and good portion of Offalys 1-14 came from turnovers."
Yes Offaly got a lot of joy with turn overs, first time I give recall a ref blowing for half time on a turn over. Fitzpatrick was in for a goal chance with the last play of the half.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 420 - 17/08/2021 12:13:50    2372324

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Wouldn't surprise me. They don't have much time or don't see eye to eye with one of the selectors I have heard a good few times. They both opted out previously as a result of this. Covid put an end to them travelling state side last two summers but with same person still involved and things opening up sounds like they will give it a miss again."
If there aren't changes in the senior team management after the shocking performance of the Roscommon senior football team over the last two seasons, I just won't understand it. We must as a county have more ambition than what's been delivered during that period. Managers and selectors matter. Look what Horan has done in Mayo and all the players he's missing with retirements and injuries. Galway have the same problem as us and seem equally unwilling to address it.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 17/08/2021 14:02:40    2372384

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Better team won. Losing Fitzpatrick wasn't a major thing yesterday as he was having a shocking game. Who will step up to senior next year as we will need some new faces in the panel. Told yesterday that we will be without at least 5 of the senior panel next year. Lads going working abroad."
I think Dave 1988, that we have to be very careful before we criticize individual young players in a public forum after a very important match. We all know that some days you get the breaks and other days you don't. The reality is that James Fitzpatrick was one of the hero's of the overall campaign, having scored 5.7 before the final. While he did not play up to his usual standard he was getting himself into very good positions at times. Indeed he could have been a hero again, if (a) his shot on 6.34 was six more inches to the left, the keeper would not have saved it (b) At 8.07 if he had received a pass from another player for a tap in goal and (c) the ref let he play on having turned over an Offaly player just at half time. In addition, he was in some good positions when other players attempted some hail-mary shots, before he got injured. I do not personally know James, but was like to thank James, his playing colleagues and the management team for some very special memories over the last few months. Just lets get going again.

letsgetgoing (Roscommon) - Posts: 10 - 17/08/2021 14:14:34    2372393

Link

Replying To letsgetgoing:  "I think Dave 1988, that we have to be very careful before we criticize individual young players in a public forum after a very important match. We all know that some days you get the breaks and other days you don't. The reality is that James Fitzpatrick was one of the hero's of the overall campaign, having scored 5.7 before the final. While he did not play up to his usual standard he was getting himself into very good positions at times. Indeed he could have been a hero again, if (a) his shot on 6.34 was six more inches to the left, the keeper would not have saved it (b) At 8.07 if he had received a pass from another player for a tap in goal and (c) the ref let he play on having turned over an Offaly player just at half time. In addition, he was in some good positions when other players attempted some hail-mary shots, before he got injured. I do not personally know James, but was like to thank James, his playing colleagues and the management team for some very special memories over the last few months. Just lets get going again."
Great post letsgetgoing. I despise anonymous people coming on forums like this criticising young players, who have worked so hard and done their county proud. James Fitzpatrick is an exceptional young talent and I am sure he will go on and represent Roscommon seniors for many years to come.

kingofclubs (Meath) - Posts: 247 - 17/08/2021 15:04:38    2372427

Link

Replying To kingofclubs:  "Great post letsgetgoing. I despise anonymous people coming on forums like this criticising young players, who have worked so hard and done their county proud. James Fitzpatrick is an exceptional young talent and I am sure he will go on and represent Roscommon seniors for many years to come."
Hard luck to you. A little unlucky. The way Roscommon opened up our defense was alarming.

Great resolve to fight back. Great team who refused to die. Had there been additional time, would not have liked our chances.

On Fitzpatrick, the kid's a gem. As mentioned above, one quick look and a square pass and you'd be calling him Fitzmagic today. Him coming off the field can never be a good thing.

Best of luck going forward.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 66 - 18/08/2021 15:43:19    2372773

Link

Replying To UpOffaly:  "Hard luck to you. A little unlucky. The way Roscommon opened up our defense was alarming.

Great resolve to fight back. Great team who refused to die. Had there been additional time, would not have liked our chances.

On Fitzpatrick, the kid's a gem. As mentioned above, one quick look and a square pass and you'd be calling him Fitzmagic today. Him coming off the field can never be a good thing.

Best of luck going forward."
Nice post. Thanks. Well done to Offaly who took their chances and deserved the win. The challenge for both counties will be to bring talented underage players through to senior ranks. Wouldn't it be great to see Roscommon v Offaly in a Senior Final or Semi Final .They played each other in a Senior All Ireland semi final in 1961 with the faithful winning that one.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 18/08/2021 18:05:02    2372818

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Nice post. Thanks. Well done to Offaly who took their chances and deserved the win. The challenge for both counties will be to bring talented underage players through to senior ranks. Wouldn't it be great to see Roscommon v Offaly in a Senior Final or Semi Final .They played each other in a Senior All Ireland semi final in 1961 with the faithful winning that one."
The possible future match-up's between Walsh & Bryant, Doyle & Tynan, McDermott & Pearson, Lohan & Egan (and many more) would be worth the admission fee alone. Hopefully many of these lads will get a chance to match up again at senior level in the future. The consensus having rear various reports on the match was that two great teams were involved and the quality of the football was excellent. So well done again to both teams.
Great to hear that six of the team that started (Conor Lohan, Patrick Gavin, Ruiadhri Fallon, Daire Cregg, Ben O'Carroll and Adam McDermott - six serious footballers) and possibly another eight from the extended panel are underage again next year.

letsgetgoing (Roscommon) - Posts: 10 - 18/08/2021 20:07:33    2372846

Link

Replying To letsgetgoing:  "The possible future match-up's between Walsh & Bryant, Doyle & Tynan, McDermott & Pearson, Lohan & Egan (and many more) would be worth the admission fee alone. Hopefully many of these lads will get a chance to match up again at senior level in the future. The consensus having rear various reports on the match was that two great teams were involved and the quality of the football was excellent. So well done again to both teams.
Great to hear that six of the team that started (Conor Lohan, Patrick Gavin, Ruiadhri Fallon, Daire Cregg, Ben O'Carroll and Adam McDermott - six serious footballers) and possibly another eight from the extended panel are underage again next year."
8 of the starting team, Darragh Heneghan, Tomás Crean also. Two starters for every Connacht championship game this year Ronan Garvin, Cian Glennon are underage again next year as well but for now its a long road to recovery from injury for them.

7 other panelists also including Sean Trundle introduced on Sunday.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2880 - 18/08/2021 22:38:04    2372905

Link

Replying To letsgetgoing:  "I think Dave 1988, that we have to be very careful before we criticize individual young players in a public forum after a very important match. We all know that some days you get the breaks and other days you don't. The reality is that James Fitzpatrick was one of the hero's of the overall campaign, having scored 5.7 before the final. While he did not play up to his usual standard he was getting himself into very good positions at times. Indeed he could have been a hero again, if (a) his shot on 6.34 was six more inches to the left, the keeper would not have saved it (b) At 8.07 if he had received a pass from another player for a tap in goal and (c) the ref let he play on having turned over an Offaly player just at half time. In addition, he was in some good positions when other players attempted some hail-mary shots, before he got injured. I do not personally know James, but was like to thank James, his playing colleagues and the management team for some very special memories over the last few months. Just lets get going again."
I Apologie if I was to hard on anyone. James is a fantastic footballer and he set his standards so high this year. He will definitely play senior county very soon along with a few more. I suppose we all want Roscommon to be winning on the big stage and we really let an opportunity slip last Sunday and that's what is so disappointing. I do believe the mentality within the county has to change from top to bottom. Getting to a final is good but we need to believe we can win finals no matter who we play.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 654 - 20/08/2021 22:16:32    2373463

Link

Congratulations to Colm Walsh, Paddy Gavin, Daire Cregg and James Fitzpatrick who have been named as some of the 20 top performers in this years under 20 championship by Eirgrid. Well done lads. I personally thought that Roscommon might have got a couple of more players included.

letsgetgoing (Roscommon) - Posts: 10 - 02/09/2021 00:20:16    2377160

Link