Roscommon Forum

Roscommon Seniors Inter County Season 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To westmeath4321:  "You are correct in saying that those three lads got themselves in the required condition. But the problem is it's not just them on the panel. Enda hession the sub that was vital to them beating dublin is only 20. Rory brickenden is under 21 this year having faced st brigids in club Connacht minor final a few years back. Also Jordan flynn and mark moran are in the set up and they are young fellows. Also you failed to mention that Ryan o donoghue is also on the mayo team and he was corner forward on the mayo under 20 team in 2018. I remember him having an excellent game against Roscommon that year. All in all mayo have a plethora of young options alongside their old soldiers which is why they are likely to now become champions..... Roscommon seniors have failed to introduce young talents such as walsh, lawless, maybe even ciaran sugrue also. Cunningham seems to not want to give ciaran lennon a chance in championship football which baffles the mind considering he is perfect for the advanced mark."
To fair Rory brickenden, Jordan flynn have been on the Mayo panel now for a few years but haven't established themselves yet. Remains to be seen with Hession also.

Mullen, O Donoghue, Conroy,E Mc Laughlin the 4 young players drafted in and all managed to hold down starting spots and all got that opportunity because of retirements and others phased out of the starting 15 such as Colin Boyle. All along James Horan has managed to keep the core/spine of the Mayo team with experienced players that had played in previous All-Ireland semi finals and finals. A smooth transition.

Our team isn't old, Cregg, Devaney the two 30 year olds have been basically sub options. N Daly, N Kilroy if still around next year will be 30. Div 2 and hopefully 7 games would be as good as any opportunity to start bedding in young/new players and I agree it's a mystery how Ciaran Lennon isn't seeing more game time.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2880 - 30/08/2021 15:51:58    2376473

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "To fair Rory brickenden, Jordan flynn have been on the Mayo panel now for a few years but haven't established themselves yet. Remains to be seen with Hession also.

Mullen, O Donoghue, Conroy,E Mc Laughlin the 4 young players drafted in and all managed to hold down starting spots and all got that opportunity because of retirements and others phased out of the starting 15 such as Colin Boyle. All along James Horan has managed to keep the core/spine of the Mayo team with experienced players that had played in previous All-Ireland semi finals and finals. A smooth transition.

Our team isn't old, Cregg, Devaney the two 30 year olds have been basically sub options. N Daly, N Kilroy if still around next year will be 30. Div 2 and hopefully 7 games would be as good as any opportunity to start bedding in young/new players and I agree it's a mystery how Ciaran Lennon isn't seeing more game time."
You're right the team is not old but some refreshment is necessary to keep older players on their toes IMO. Hopefully some new players can be phased in and I feel like this will certainly happen given the success of this years under 20 team and also the under 17 team in 2017 now coming of age given the few years they've now played at club level.( we've already now seen gilooly). I wonder is there any chance brian derwin will join up with the panel at some stage he was very impressive in last years senior club games. I see daire cregg and Colin walsh being future stars for the county and there is a real opportunity to build a very strong team over the next 2/3 years. Phasing players in over time will be the way forward.

westmeath4321 (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 30/08/2021 17:46:52    2376511

Link

Replying To endgame:  "The big shakeup needed is for Cunningham to go. Anthony Cunningham was always going to want to stay on. He wanted to stay on as Galway hurling Manager even after the players voted no confidence in him.
I blame the Roscommon County Board now. We've had two very poor seasons under Cunningham with the senior team in reverse gear but the County Board want him there next year. We have no ambition at all if the last two years get the Manager another year. As a Roscommon supporter, it's not acceptable."
Donegal who are known as a ambitious county have kept Declan Bonner on another two years. Donegals last two championship was a tame exit to Tyrone, lucky Derry didn't beat them in the previous round and allowing Cavan beat them last year.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2553 - 30/08/2021 22:28:31    2376608

Link

Replying To westmeath4321:  "You're right the team is not old but some refreshment is necessary to keep older players on their toes IMO. Hopefully some new players can be phased in and I feel like this will certainly happen given the success of this years under 20 team and also the under 17 team in 2017 now coming of age given the few years they've now played at club level.( we've already now seen gilooly). I wonder is there any chance brian derwin will join up with the panel at some stage he was very impressive in last years senior club games. I see daire cregg and Colin walsh being future stars for the county and there is a real opportunity to build a very strong team over the next 2/3 years. Phasing players in over time will be the way forward."
It's not old but we do need fresh faces in lots of positions. To many player are inconsistent and need to be pushed harder. Cunningham has no choice but to add players next year with a few players not committing and going traveling. I do hope Cunningham looks at his backroom team and adds some quality to it.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 654 - 10/09/2021 10:13:25    2379257

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "It's not old but we do need fresh faces in lots of positions. To many player are inconsistent and need to be pushed harder. Cunningham has no choice but to add players next year with a few players not committing and going traveling. I do hope Cunningham looks at his backroom team and adds some quality to it."
It's been quiet on the inter county front in Roscommon. Is it definitely confirmed that Anthony Cunningham is staying on for next season.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 10/09/2021 18:45:02    2379437

Link

Replying To endgame:  "It's been quiet on the inter county front in Roscommon. Is it definitely confirmed that Anthony Cunningham is staying on for next season."
He got a car last week of hughes so I presume so.
Hopefully the car has forward gears on it.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1540 - 13/09/2021 23:08:15    2380480

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "He got a car last week of hughes so I presume so.
Hopefully the car has forward gears on it."
He said he would see out his term and he has a year left so id say he is.

Between pearses and roscommon id love to see abit of attacking football but i am not blessed with either :P We will solider on and keep the faith. Daire Cregg seems to be doing the business in senior along with colin walsh and paddy galvin they should all be around the panel this year even if they dont get game time just to be part of it. I hope every u20 player has been put on a programme for their development very important for out future

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 642 - 14/09/2021 10:10:23    2380529

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "He said he would see out his term and he has a year left so id say he is.

Between pearses and roscommon id love to see abit of attacking football but i am not blessed with either :P We will solider on and keep the faith. Daire Cregg seems to be doing the business in senior along with colin walsh and paddy galvin they should all be around the panel this year even if they dont get game time just to be part of it. I hope every u20 player has been put on a programme for their development very important for out future"
Cregg and Gavin are under 20 next year and we have a very strong team . If we leave them to the u20s we could win something.. I know senior team is more important but I'd love to see us have a run at u20 next year

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 654 - 14/09/2021 12:22:29    2380570

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Cregg and Gavin are under 20 next year and we have a very strong team . If we leave them to the u20s we could win something.. I know senior team is more important but I'd love to see us have a run at u20 next year"
Fully Agree Dave but no harm to have them in for trial games etc to get them a feel for it

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 642 - 15/09/2021 11:17:05    2380837

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "Cregg and Gavin are under 20 next year and we have a very strong team . If we leave them to the u20s we could win something.. I know senior team is more important but I'd love to see us have a run at u20 next year"
Yes agree with that. Doubt the seniors will do much again next year but the U20s might go one better than this year.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 15/09/2021 17:00:47    2380944

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Yes agree with that. Doubt the seniors will do much again next year but the U20s might go one better than this year."
U20 Connacht will be very hard to call in 2022 as Sligo, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon will have strong team.

On senior level it looks like no FBD to bed in new players and league championship format will be brought in while the provincial will be devalued. That's not good news for counties like Roscommon.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2553 - 15/09/2021 17:36:52    2380952

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "U20 Connacht will be very hard to call in 2022 as Sligo, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon will have strong team.

On senior level it looks like no FBD to bed in new players and league championship format will be brought in while the provincial will be devalued. That's not good news for counties like Roscommon."
We have players part of the panel for fee years that haven't got an opportunity. Cunningham has stuck with basically the same 20 for a couple of years now.. I'd like to see Heneghan Lennon lawless and Walsh get a chance this year. Our attack needs a good shake up. Be great if harney could stay injury free for the year. With player's stepping away it's something that has to happen. I think Colin Walsh will walk straight into full back which could free Conor Daly up. I have always said I'd like him at wing forward. Goalkeeper is a massive problem. Any Goalkeeper standing out at club level this year?I hope we see big changes next year.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 654 - 16/09/2021 08:02:32    2381037

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "We have players part of the panel for fee years that haven't got an opportunity. Cunningham has stuck with basically the same 20 for a couple of years now.. I'd like to see Heneghan Lennon lawless and Walsh get a chance this year. Our attack needs a good shake up. Be great if harney could stay injury free for the year. With player's stepping away it's something that has to happen. I think Colin Walsh will walk straight into full back which could free Conor Daly up. I have always said I'd like him at wing forward. Goalkeeper is a massive problem. Any Goalkeeper standing out at club level this year?I hope we see big changes next year."
Agreed. Goalkeeper is so crucial as well. We saw that again last Saturday where Hennelly was poor for the first Tyrone goal and Niall Morgan had a great game for the champions.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 16/09/2021 13:46:31    2381092

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "We have players part of the panel for fee years that haven't got an opportunity. Cunningham has stuck with basically the same 20 for a couple of years now.. I'd like to see Heneghan Lennon lawless and Walsh get a chance this year. Our attack needs a good shake up. Be great if harney could stay injury free for the year. With player's stepping away it's something that has to happen. I think Colin Walsh will walk straight into full back which could free Conor Daly up. I have always said I'd like him at wing forward. Goalkeeper is a massive problem. Any Goalkeeper standing out at club level this year?I hope we see big changes next year."
Harney sat out the last game with a knock, be great but he simply can't buy a break away from injuries.

Keith Doyle would have been one of this years U20 to be looked at but if the injury he picked up last weekend is serious that could stop his chance. Oran midfielder Keenan another but again he's can't shake off his injury issues.

Colm Walsh played all group games at number 6 and has gone on record to say its his preferred position so will be interesting to see where he's played once given the senior chance.

Goalkeepers standing out for the wrong reasons. Interesting the best 3 keepers at County level Cluxton, Beggan, Morgan all play out field for their clubs.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2880 - 16/09/2021 14:46:15    2381101

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Agreed. Goalkeeper is so crucial as well. We saw that again last Saturday where Hennelly was poor for the first Tyrone goal and Niall Morgan had a great game for the champions."
Thought hennelly was poor for both goals If you look back at second goal he didn't need to rush out like that as mayo had three men around McKenna. Hennelly is still lightyears ahead of any goalkeeper we have.i fully agree with everything Analyser said below but that's what our management are for to think outside the box and sort out our Goalkeeper situation.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 654 - 16/09/2021 15:36:04    2381118

Link

I see reports that a number of the Galway footballers are unhappy with Padraig Joyce and are seeking a meeting.
I wonder are the Roscommon players happy for the current Management team to be there again next year.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 19/09/2021 20:49:36    2381706

Link