Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was watching them laying the last piece of turf on the new surface in Armagh this evening.An outfit from England did the job,"lay and play " I think they call it.I hope it holds up well.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 20/11/2020 23:20:06    2311895

Link

I was listening to Enda McGinley on OTB. He says Donegal are the only team which seem to be aiming for the same consistency as Dublin and that is one of the keys to beating them.

Rolo2010 (Donegal) - Posts: 259 - 21/11/2020 03:34:46    2311914

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi eunans4ever: I always smile when I hear people saying "the big wide open spaces in Croker"."
Yes it's actually amusing that people fall for that stuff

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 21/11/2020 21:50:45    2312343

Link

The jacks do over 70 mins what we did to Armagh in the second quarter of last week

We need to piece that together tmw in advance of the semi final

I think we will lay down a serious marker tmw with a 10+ point victory and seal 3 in a row pulling up

Donegal for Sam

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 21/11/2020 22:00:42    2312355

Link

what do yous make of Gallen being dropped? it must be injury? terrible news if so

High_and_wide (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 21/11/2020 23:23:22    2312414

Link

Replying To High_and_wide:  "what do yous make of Gallen being dropped? it must be injury? terrible news if so"
I don't think he's dropped more than likely injured in training during the week. Disappointing news for the lad and for the supporters a real star in the making.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 22/11/2020 07:48:27    2312480

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "I don't think he's dropped more than likely injured in training during the week. Disappointing news for the lad and for the supporters a real star in the making."
You would have to assume Gallen has an injury, be shocked if he couldnt make the 26 man squad, in fact he must be close to a starting spot.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 22/11/2020 10:18:24    2312550

Link

Ádh mór inniu lads, let's hope we can get more medals in the pockets. 3 in a row would be some going.

Disappointing for Gallen, must be an injury but I hope it's nothing serious.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 22/11/2020 13:14:36    2312674

Link

Same sentiments must be an injury or illness. We'll find out more after. Hopefully nothing serious.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 22/11/2020 13:50:19    2312699

Link

Tyrone 2018, mayo 2019, cavan 2020 Donegal found wanting again unfortunately...very disappointing performance from Donegal ..scoreline flattered us big time. Cavan deserving winners but very poor from Donegal

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 22/11/2020 17:42:45    2312970

Link

That's 3 years in a row now Donegal have bottled it. What is it. I can't believe it.. What the hell is bonnor doing taking off mcbrearty when in the melting pot...a bit baffling. Where do we go from here

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 22/11/2020 17:47:08    2312985

Link

What a disappointing end to the year. Cavan fully deserved that win. Hard to know what went wrong. Thompson out was a big blow, our whole attack failed to deliver today. Paddy was a a long way of the pace, probably not ready for a start unfortunately and Gallen out as well was a big blow. Surprised Eoghan McGettigan wasn't brought on, probably our only attacking option on the bench.

Same 4 teams that won the provincial's 100 years ago. 2020 gets stranger and stranger. Best of luck to Cavan in the semi final, it would be some craic if Cavan and Tipp contested the final!

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 22/11/2020 17:47:11    2312986

Link

Hard to explain that today other than you have to bring that intensity every week in Ulster, otherwise you'll be caught. We looked shell shocked at times with how the Cavan lads were tackling us. I felt that after the Armagh performance we were laser focussed and that we would secure enough possession to win the match. In all honesty we probably did, we had poor wides towards the end and missed three goal chances. But Cavan were wasteful as well. Just didn't deserve it today.

I have been a big supporter of Bonner but unless Thompson was carrying some sort of knock I cannot understand not starting him. Inexplicable to me in all honesty. Not that it would have been the winning or losing of it I suppose.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 22/11/2020 17:52:16    2313007

Link

Reality check all talk about All Stars etc eye took off the ball imo.But Cavan showed some grit to win the game.MM is on the downward spiral and the supporting cast may not be as good as we think.

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 22/11/2020 17:58:19    2313022

Link

We have choked when it matters

argael (Donegal) - Posts: 132 - 22/11/2020 18:04:16    2313043

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Hard to explain that today other than you have to bring that intensity every week in Ulster, otherwise you'll be caught. We looked shell shocked at times with how the Cavan lads were tackling us. I felt that after the Armagh performance we were laser focussed and that we would secure enough possession to win the match. In all honesty we probably did, we had poor wides towards the end and missed three goal chances. But Cavan were wasteful as well. Just didn't deserve it today.

I have been a big supporter of Bonner but unless Thompson was carrying some sort of knock I cannot understand not starting him. Inexplicable to me in all honesty. Not that it would have been the winning or losing of it I suppose."
This is where the post mortem will start for sure. Thompson has been a leader for us this year and if he was fit enough to come on, why didn't he start? We just weren't tuned in today and completely out fought. 3 point lead at the start of the 2nd half and it was awful stuff thereafter. We had chances to keep the scoreboard missing but hit a few bad wides and missed the goal chances. Each one gave Cavan a lift. It was looking fairly inevitable with 15 minutes left even though we were a man and a point up at that stage. Cavan gave everything and wanted it more. Any time we broke a tackle, the Cavan man wouldn't give up and would harry the runner all the way until they turned it over or we had to turn back. Couldn't get anything going in attack.

Dublin have been caught in similar battles before with teams possessed but their skill level is so high that it makes up for any gap in heart. Ours didn't today.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1421 - 22/11/2020 18:21:53    2313084

Link

Very poor show by Manager and players. Poor team selection, no Thompson or Gallen both top scoring forwards and no Ward in defence, best defender during the League. Murphy best full forward in Country spent more time in his own square that in Cavan's, and keeper should have caught that ball for the goal or at least punched out to the side not straight out. No intensity in any of the players , just passing the ball around like a relaxed training session , you dont win knockout football like than.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 62 - 22/11/2020 18:35:54    2313120

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "What a disappointing end to the year. Cavan fully deserved that win. Hard to know what went wrong. Thompson out was a big blow, our whole attack failed to deliver today. Paddy was a a long way of the pace, probably not ready for a start unfortunately and Gallen out as well was a big blow. Surprised Eoghan McGettigan wasn't brought on, probably our only attacking option on the bench.

Same 4 teams that won the provincial's 100 years ago. 2020 gets stranger and stranger. Best of luck to Cavan in the semi final, it would be some craic if Cavan and Tipp contested the final!"
I think that Donegal had one eye on Dublin clash in two weeks time.

Hurlers winning today was some consolation.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2825 - 22/11/2020 18:39:54    2313126

Link

Replying To benjyyy:  "This is where the post mortem will start for sure. Thompson has been a leader for us this year and if he was fit enough to come on, why didn't he start? We just weren't tuned in today and completely out fought. 3 point lead at the start of the 2nd half and it was awful stuff thereafter. We had chances to keep the scoreboard missing but hit a few bad wides and missed the goal chances. Each one gave Cavan a lift. It was looking fairly inevitable with 15 minutes left even though we were a man and a point up at that stage. Cavan gave everything and wanted it more. Any time we broke a tackle, the Cavan man wouldn't give up and would harry the runner all the way until they turned it over or we had to turn back. Couldn't get anything going in attack.

Dublin have been caught in similar battles before with teams possessed but their skill level is so high that it makes up for any gap in heart. Ours didn't today."
I agree with you benjy it is a real strange one for me that Thompson didn't start. Like you say a leader this year, even in Kerry when we were beat out the gate he showed up and was excellent. Excellent against Tyrone and the winning of that game in Ballybofey for us. A strange strange move in my view.

Who could you really say had a good showing out there today, McGonagle picked up a couple of scores I think and seemed to do a good job on McKiernan.. Ryan McHugh did well too I thought. Eoghan Bán made two game changing runs through but we got nothing from either.

The funny thing is the compliments were flowing about the spread of scorers in the team and today you're looking around for lads to stand up and they just couldn't deal with Cavan's intensity. The same thing happened in Castlebar. No Thompson to pick up a few scores, Langan with a few very bad wides towards the end that you would back him to make. Jamie Brennan anonymous unfortunately, the goal chance a good save but really it was a good height for the keeper and practically straight at him.

Huge disappointment. I sort of bristled at commentary about us not showing up in the big games because of Tyrone 2018 and Mayo last year but there's not much defence I can put up to those claims now in all honesty.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 22/11/2020 19:04:39    2313178

Link

Firstly we have to congratulate Cavan, they were the best team by a long distance today, they out fought us all over the pitch. It was a very disappointing performance from Donegal and again leaves question marks about the team. We really missed Stephen McMenamin, nearly our most important player at this stage.

The post mortem is going to be grim over the winter. We started the game slowly but got back into it after the first Cavan black card. Somehow we were 2 points up at half time even though we werent at the races. The less said about the second half the better.

I still feel we have a great group of players but we have been found wanting when the going gets tough in championship games these past 3 years. I dont think it would be fair to stick the boot in on players and management as its,been a strange year.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 22/11/2020 19:11:53    2313200

Link