Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "I'm not sure where you get the official size from though I know one thing, that mccumhaill park is not a 145 metre long. There is not 15 metres between the 2 65s. It is very wide though and therefore makes it overall quite a big pitch. According to this link croke park is 86 metre wide and that's what the Google earth tool indicates it as.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/september-road-the-long-and-the-short-of-pitches-1.1844127

I'm not sure I want to keep going down this rabbit hole. The tool I mentioned is very straight forward to use for anyone interested!!!"
Don't think the pitch size will make much difference. Bigger worry is that they seem to be re-laying the entire pitch this week (according to Donegaldaily). Hopefully that process goes well. Seems like a quick turn around. Have seen soccer and rugby games where the pitches cut up badly and the footing is bad because the pitch hasn't had enough time to bed in.

I know they do this regularly in croke park. Never heard of it been done in other county grounds before.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 18/11/2020 13:52:11    2311056

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "I'm not sure where you get the official size from though I know one thing, that mccumhaill park is not a 145 metre long. There is not 15 metres between the 2 65s. It is very wide though and therefore makes it overall quite a big pitch. According to this link croke park is 86 metre wide and that's what the Google earth tool indicates it as.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/september-road-the-long-and-the-short-of-pitches-1.1844127

I'm not sure I want to keep going down this rabbit hole. The tool I mentioned is very straight forward to use for anyone interested!!!"
Absolutely. I remember that article being published and thinking it was about as accurate as the heights and weights on a match day programme. MacCumhaill Park is terribly wide, but visibly short, as you said, the 65s are quite close.

It's not even worth pretending, as any side coming to Ballybofey convinced it's a 145m long pitch has much bigger issues if that's the height of their research!

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 18/11/2020 14:03:03    2311061

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Yes the under 21's beat Derry there in the last Ulster final for the grade. It was on a Monday night with many players especially on the west side of the county not getting home till the middle of the night apparently. It was a bittersweet one as they had to play the semi final the following Saturday afternoon against a Dublin side whom if a am not mistaken had a 3 week run into that game but could have been 2. Of course this was grossly unfair but the attitude was tough luck. Ironically the GAA then ditched the under 21 grade citing player welfare as one of the main reasons and introducing an eligibility rule which to me and many others gave a blatant advantage to certain counties. Actually I think the following years under 21 team was probably stronger but they were forgotten wrongfully with all these changes. They would have been the 2015 minors who also beat Armagh in the Athletic grounds. There was nothing put in place for them for the years overlap so they didn't get to put right the wrongs of losing to an inferior but well coached Derry side. Probably explains why Declan has become very vocal around unfair advantages playing games at Croke Park involving Dublin and the Super eights. He managed that under 21 side who were treated with total disregard by those in suits."
The 2018 under 21 team would have been a mixture of 15 and 16 minors and would be something like this. There is five definite senior starters (*) from this team and maybe 6 if McGee can get back to full fitness and his best form. It would have been a very good team and strong favourite to win Ulster.

Danny Rodgers
Gary McFadden
Stephen mcmenamin *
Odrhan McFadden ferry *
Ethan O'Donnell
Brendan mccole
Daire obaoill
Micheal Carroll
Jason McGee
Conor Doherty
Niall O'Donnell *
Michael langan *
Eoghan mcgettigan
Rory Carr ( if he was fit)
Peader mogan *

I'm sure there were others around these minor teams who would have been close as well.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 18/11/2020 15:57:46    2311114

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Don't think the pitch size will make much difference. Bigger worry is that they seem to be re-laying the entire pitch this week (according to Donegaldaily). Hopefully that process goes well. Seems like a quick turn around. Have seen soccer and rugby games where the pitches cut up badly and the footing is bad because the pitch hasn't had enough time to bed in.

I know they do this regularly in croke park. Never heard of it been done in other county grounds before."
Only some areas of the goalmouth and around the 13 and 20 will be relaid according to what I heard. No way they're going to attempt a full pitch this time of year. I still expect those areas to cut up under a lot of movement all the same

Loughduff Lad (Cavan) - Posts: 993 - 18/11/2020 16:09:03    2311121

Link

I think talk of pitch sizes & things like the weather is clutching at straws a bit. You'd swear we lived in a continental sized country the way some people go on. Like, it's not as if either team hasn't seen a drop of rain before, or played in a gale either. If Cavan want to turn the game into a battle on a dirty wet day then it would be disingenuous in the extreme for us to use that as any sort of excuse for a poor performance on our part. Our lads are no shrinking violets if things get a bit physical.

The best team will win. End of.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 18/11/2020 16:30:08    2311130

Link

Replying To Loughduff Lad:  "Only some areas of the goalmouth and around the 13 and 20 will be relaid according to what I heard. No way they're going to attempt a full pitch this time of year. I still expect those areas to cut up under a lot of movement all the same"
You could be right but I'm hearing the whole pitch is being relaid. Which if right is a huge undertaking.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 18/11/2020 17:29:48    2311146

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "You could be right but I'm hearing the whole pitch is being relaid. Which if right is a huge undertaking."
The article on the BBC indicated the whole pitch though it's only the goal areas mentioned. You can find a picture on the donegal gaa twitter page. Rest of the pitch looks grand.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 18/11/2020 17:52:46    2311154

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "The 2018 under 21 team would have been a mixture of 15 and 16 minors and would be something like this. There is five definite senior starters (*) from this team and maybe 6 if McGee can get back to full fitness and his best form. It would have been a very good team and strong favourite to win Ulster.

Danny Rodgers
Gary McFadden
Stephen mcmenamin *
Odrhan McFadden ferry *
Ethan O'Donnell
Brendan mccole
Daire obaoill
Micheal Carroll
Jason McGee
Conor Doherty
Niall O'Donnell *
Michael langan *
Eoghan mcgettigan
Rory Carr ( if he was fit)
Peader mogan *

I'm sure there were others around these minor teams who would have been close as well."
Think there is a couple more Gweedore lads anyways Naoise being one and Shane Ferry. Naoise is always the player that comes to my mind as remember reading a questions and answers piece he did where he mentioned the 2015 minor Derry game as his biggest regret in football. He is a prime example of one of the forgotten ones as he might never get the opportunity to put right as a senior. Probably a couple more we are forgetting.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 18/11/2020 18:03:43    2311159

Link

Stephen Mc Brearty would have been in that team also? Serious team.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 18/11/2020 23:36:58    2311283

Link

Donegal need to reach the same levels as Armagh match. If they do, they win by double digits. If they don't it will be a dog fight and a 3 or4 point game.

I hope its not 2013 over again but I just can't see it

Donegal 4-17 Cavan 12.

Don't mean to be disrespectful to Cavan. They are missing players and have done really well the past 2 years. Great manager and some excellent players. Just feel we are motoring well.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 18/11/2020 23:43:29    2311286

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Donegal need to reach the same levels as Armagh match. If they do, they win by double digits. If they don't it will be a dog fight and a 3 or4 point game.

I hope its not 2013 over again but I just can't see it

Donegal 4-17 Cavan 12.

Don't mean to be disrespectful to Cavan. They are missing players and have done really well the past 2 years. Great manager and some excellent players. Just feel we are motoring well."
I think Cavan will score at at least one goal. They got two against us last year!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 19/11/2020 10:08:45    2311314

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Stephen Mc Brearty would have been in that team also? Serious team."
Stephen Mcbrearty final year under 21 was 2017, as it was for eoghan ban, Jamie Brennan and Carolan mcgonagle who all started last Saturda

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 19/11/2020 10:30:49    2311333

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Stephen Mc Brearty would have been in that team also? Serious team."
Stephen McBrearty was a wonderful player at minor, would have been sure he would have been a serious player at senior level. He played some league games in 2018 when Declan Bonner took over and looked good. i remember a National league game in Croke Park against Dublin he hit some great scores.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 19/11/2020 10:31:39    2311335

Link

I would rank this as our most important Ulster Final since 2011 when we needed to break that unbelievably long spell without a title.This one obviously is a must with no back door and three in a row would be a major step in establishing ourselves as a major force on the intercounty scene.Some posters are very cocky and while most of us think we will win ,a bit of humility might get us a bit of more respect especially against a county with a roll of honour which none of us will ever see matched.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 19/11/2020 12:24:12    2311373

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I would rank this as our most important Ulster Final since 2011 when we needed to break that unbelievably long spell without a title.This one obviously is a must with no back door and three in a row would be a major step in establishing ourselves as a major force on the intercounty scene.Some posters are very cocky and while most of us think we will win ,a bit of humility might get us a bit of more respect especially against a county with a roll of honour which none of us will ever see matched."
It is a very important final and when you look at our records in Ulster Finals I think we have lost more than won so that's a sobering stat. Getting that 3 in a row would be a fantastic achievement and getting a chance to gauge where we truly are by getting a shot at Dublin. There is similarities to 2013 when we were hotly tipped to beat Div3 Monaghan and we were reigning Ulster Champions. The difference is that we were coming off the back of winning the AI and the subsequent celebrations and the fact that fatigue was a huge factor. This showed when we just scraped into the All Ireland QF and thumped v Mayo.
The memories of that defeat will still be in the thoughts of Murphy, Mc Gee, Mc Brearty and Mc Grath and this knowledge I'm sure has been passed to the younger members of the squad.
The other big difference to that time was that we had a very good first 15 but were limited beyond that. The current panel have serious options in the midfield and forward departments so if a player gets the starting spot he knows that if not performing he'll be off early doors. This leads to a drive from within for places and similar to Dublin doesn't give much room for taking the eye of the game.
I do think Cavan will ask questions that Tyrone or Armagh didn't around midfield and our full back line. I also think we will ask more questions of their defence than Monaghan, Antrim or Down did and expect us to win by 4/5 points.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 19/11/2020 12:48:41    2311382

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I would rank this as our most important Ulster Final since 2011 when we needed to break that unbelievably long spell without a title.This one obviously is a must with no back door and three in a row would be a major step in establishing ourselves as a major force on the intercounty scene.Some posters are very cocky and while most of us think we will win ,a bit of humility might get us a bit of more respect especially against a county with a roll of honour which none of us will ever see matched."
Well said. You Donegall people must bo over the moon with the way your team are playing. You play fast attacking football with players running from all angles which is very hard to combat similar to the way Dublin play and something we Cavan supporters would like our team to aspire to but we are a long way of that at the moment. You say some of your fellow posters are being a bit cocky well I think they have every right to be you are playing some serious football and being realistic you should beat us without to much trouble as long we make it a bit closer than last year most Cavan people will be happy as we are not in the same league. Some of your earlier posts mentioned how you will need to watch Gearoid McKiernan as he's a big man and how he can kick points with either foot and that's very true hes probably our best player. But you have several big powerful athletic men who can play football and take scores,what are you feeding them on and can we have some. Seriously though you've got some team who won't be intimidated by Dublin and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam heading for the hills again Good luck to you. Up Cavan.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 44 - 19/11/2020 13:12:58    2311390

Link

This is an odd one Donegal Friends. You will find that most of us Cavan folk have an affection for your county and that many of us venture north to enjoy the sights and friendly atmosphere that Tir Connail has to offer. You might say that, if it wasnt for our own success in making the final, we would normally be cheering yous on. This is especially true when you are playing our noisy little neighbours, whom we delighted in Donegal putting back in their box. We dont hold huge hope of winning this weekend but are hoping none the less. I for one believe that we too are on the verge of a breakthrough. For the first time in a decade, we have a crop of good and confident forwards who want to play for the county. Sunday may be too early for us but hope to see ourselves and yourselves battling many times in the future for the prize of top dog in Ulster.

KingdomofBreifne (Cavan) - Posts: 17 - 19/11/2020 15:48:42    2311452

Link

Replying To KingdomofBreifne:  "This is an odd one Donegal Friends. You will find that most of us Cavan folk have an affection for your county and that many of us venture north to enjoy the sights and friendly atmosphere that Tir Connail has to offer. You might say that, if it wasnt for our own success in making the final, we would normally be cheering yous on. This is especially true when you are playing our noisy little neighbours, whom we delighted in Donegal putting back in their box. We dont hold huge hope of winning this weekend but are hoping none the less. I for one believe that we too are on the verge of a breakthrough. For the first time in a decade, we have a crop of good and confident forwards who want to play for the county. Sunday may be too early for us but hope to see ourselves and yourselves battling many times in the future for the prize of top dog in Ulster."
I'm not surprised that Cavan have now reached back to back finals. Kerry talk about their conveyor belt of minor All Ireland teams but that often doesn't translate to Senior. A good crop at U21 level is a better indicator so we know that Cavan have top players within the county. I like Graham as a manager and he will certainly get the best out of them given time. Will they be good enough to win an Ulster? Maybe but I think they need a win against Donegal or Tyrone to believe they can even if that win comes in league or championship. I'm excited by our young team however and the fact that we're performing well even without Murphy firing in all cylinders is even more promising. We had a good team in the 00's but good as they were they couldn't beat Armagh and it became a real stumbling block that cost us a few Ulster's. Cavan need to get that win to truly believe but I don't think it will happen this week. If Tyrone had knocked us out I'd be rooting for Cavan and if they do beat us on Sunday I'll be hoping they do well after.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 19/11/2020 19:49:15    2311532

Link

Dirty weekend by the looks of it and perhaps that tilts the table somewhat in terms of making an upset more possible.

I just cant see a team who have spent large portions of matches against Monaghan, Antrim and Down well behind having enough over 70+ minutes to trouble Donegal.

We will hit them with bursts of 5 and 6 scores at a time and there will just be no comeback from that.

Key for us this Sunday- Focus, work hard, consistency, nothing daft that could incur a red card and just keep the foot to the floor. Lift the trophy, enjoy the night and be ready then for the big one from Tuesday.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 20/11/2020 11:17:24    2311653

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Dirty weekend by the looks of it and perhaps that tilts the table somewhat in terms of making an upset more possible.

I just cant see a team who have spent large portions of matches against Monaghan, Antrim and Down well behind having enough over 70+ minutes to trouble Donegal.

We will hit them with bursts of 5 and 6 scores at a time and there will just be no comeback from that.

Key for us this Sunday- Focus, work hard, consistency, nothing daft that could incur a red card and just keep the foot to the floor. Lift the trophy, enjoy the night and be ready then for the big one from Tuesday."
Exactly. We need to be as thorough and professional as possible and hopefully the result should take care of itself.
I'm reluctant to even start thinking about Dublin yet. But one thing I don't think anyone could disagree with is that if we are to face them we'll need the full deck - so hopefully no injuries or daft suspensions.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 20/11/2020 15:29:28    2311736

Link