Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

If 2 years ago you had told me we would be facing the likes of Tyrone in the championship and would be minus mcbrearty and Murphy would be held scoreless I would have said we would be beat out the gate. I think it is a measure of how the squad has grown and how the younger players care starting to step up. I also think Bonner and his backroom team also deserve enormous credit too.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 03/11/2020 22:29:05    2304969

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "If 2 years ago you had told me we would be facing the likes of Tyrone in the championship and would be minus mcbrearty and Murphy would be held scoreless I would have said we would be beat out the gate. I think it is a measure of how the squad has grown and how the younger players care starting to step up. I also think Bonner and his backroom team also deserve enormous credit too."
Very true.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 04/11/2020 00:17:50    2304999

Link

MC Brearty starts if he is fit. Don't forget he's our best forward?!! Although all 3 inside forwards are different and have their own strengths.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 04/11/2020 00:18:47    2305000

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I'm sure most of us can still remember the bad old days when we went into Ulster finals cautiously optimistic about beating Armagh, only to end up being well beaten. Bonner and co will be reminding the players of that no doubt. We are in a period of dominance at the minute in Ulster and long may it continue. I think if our focus is right we have better players than Armagh at this moment in time, and we should get the job done."
Think this it from 99 through the naughties

99 lost ulster quarter final replay,
02 lost ulster final,
03 lost all ireland semi final,
04 lost ulster final,
05 lost quarter final replay,
06 lost ulster final,
07 won ulster quarter final with a last minute kevin cassidy lucky goal (then got hammered in semi by tyrone).

It was like one big defeat by armagh. Armagh had our measure and they are not good memories and players can indeed be reminded of that.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 04/11/2020 01:01:36    2305004

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Think this it from 99 through the naughties

02 lost ulster final,
04 lost ulster final,
06 lost ulster final,
07 won ulster quarter final with a last minute kevin cassidy lucky goal (then got hammered in semi by tyrone).

It was like one big defeat by armagh. Armagh had our measure and they are not good memories and players can indeed be reminded of that."
That has brought back painful memories. The biggest regret from that period was that we had very good teams but never really showed the belief that we could beat them. Our record against Armagh since then has been 100% as far as I know so they will be fierce hungry to rectify that!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 04/11/2020 09:53:36    2305018

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "MC Brearty starts if he is fit. Don't forget he's our best forward?!! Although all 3 inside forwards are different and have their own strengths."
I might be in the minority but I am of the opinion that Jamie Brennan is the best forward in the team, and such as been the growth and form of Gallen I would not be surprised if he usurps him before Christmas.

Would be delighted to see McBrearty show me up for that opinion.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 04/11/2020 10:01:18    2305021

Link

02 lost ulster final,
04 lost ulster final,
06 lost ulster final,

It was like one big defeat by armagh. Armagh had our measure and they are not good memories and players can indeed be reminded of that."
That All-Ireland semi still hurts. The colour and atmosphere in Croke Park that day was unbelievable. I still think Sweeney's red was harsh and ultimately the losing of the game as McDonnell's goal came from a high ball in that Sweeney would have given him a harder time with.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 04/11/2020 10:33:01    2305033

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "That All-Ireland semi still hurts. The colour and atmosphere in Croke Park that day was unbelievable. I still think Sweeney's red was harsh and ultimately the losing of the game as McDonnell's goal came from a high ball in that Sweeney would have given him a harder time with."
A fella from Dublin told me a good one about that game. He started working in Letterkenny the Monday after it. As he sat down for lunch with a few of his new work colleagues he brought up the game in conversation and how Donegal were unlucky and maybe if the guy hadn't been sent off they could have won.

Raymond Sweeney was one of the new work colleagues!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 04/11/2020 11:59:00    2305078

Link

02 lost ulster final,
04 lost ulster final,
06 lost ulster final,

I'm trying to remember but can't , what year did we beat Armagh comprehensively at ballybofey, big joe was manager at the time and held them back in their dressing room for ages giving the Armagh lads the biggest rollicking of their lives, it was all the chat in Henneys afterwards but it was the making of that Armagh team of the noughties, can't remember was it league or champ?

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 04/11/2020 18:14:06    2305175

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "I'm trying to remember but can't , what year did we beat Armagh comprehensively at ballybofey, big joe was manager at the time and held them back in their dressing room for ages giving the Armagh lads the biggest rollicking of their lives, it was all the chat in Henneys afterwards but it was the making of that Armagh team of the noughties, can't remember was it league or champ?"
I don't know if we ever beat them well unless maybe a McKenna cup game. I put in 99 as Donegal were probably favourites and maybe should have won the first match in ballybofey. Armagh won the replay and won Ulster in 99, 00, 02, 04, 05, 06 and 08. That match kind of was there kick started them and think it was in canavan and mcelinden who were managers. The 2000 team were very good and probably could have won the all Ireland. Kernan I think came on board in 2002 and got them there.

I don't think Armagh have been in a final since 08 and it's they are the longest team now without getting to a final. We only played them twice in the 10s. Only just beat them in the quarter in 14 though beat them handy in 15 in Armagh. Murphy was great that day. Oisin mcconville mentioned he looked like a senior playing against minors.
Both teams gave changed dramatically since then. McGee, Ryan McHugh and Murphy the only staters against Tyrone on Sunday. Think Armagh had 4 against derry.

You don't want to be giving this Armagh team any chance, keep them down. We still owe them plenty from the noughties. (We owe then plenty from the 80s too by the way)

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 04/11/2020 19:43:12    2305193

Link

Did I miss it but was the venue appointed yet. Suppose with no supporters there's no wild panic deciding it.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 06/11/2020 16:51:31    2305635

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Did I miss it but was the venue appointed yet. Suppose with no supporters there's no wild panic deciding it."
I'd say its a toss up between Clones and Breffni. Breffni being a newly laid pitch may be the safer bet.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 06/11/2020 19:22:36    2305671

Link

Oisin McConville said on the Second Captains pod that he'd heard it was fixed for Omagh but that he hoped that wasn't true. You and everyone else Oisin!

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 06/11/2020 19:39:01    2305673

Link

I remember giving Armagh a hiding in Breffni in 1993 but the memories from our recent battles in Clones are not great but that was during Armagh's glory days.I think it was 2005 that we drew with them but then lost the replay heavily as we were inclined to do those daysClones was Armaghs's home ground for a while when the Athletic Grounds were being re-developed .We did beat them in the 1990 Ulster Final by a point.While it is interesting to look back none of the above will have any bearing next Saturday.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 06/11/2020 19:52:13    2305675

Link

Any news on Neil mcgee and paddy mcbrearty.

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 228 - 09/11/2020 22:06:52    2307030

Link

Replying To ulsterrules:  "Any news on Neil mcgee and paddy mcbrearty."
do you seriously think you are going to any news injuries/player availability from the Donegal camp??

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 11/11/2020 12:02:08    2307521

Link

Paddy McBrearty fit, Paddy McGrath according to Bonner just announced there today. No mention of McGee but reckon he'll be ok.

JimmyCarr (Donegal) - Posts: 27 - 11/11/2020 12:30:17    2307537

Link

Well it looks like they could be ready if you believe the press release today but Mc Grath is out. Dissapointed for him as he played well when introduced against Tyrone and he needs game time if we are to progress beyond this weekend. If we lose then it could be the last we see of him.
Huge game this weekend and we need to be really up for it. Armagh are on a high from their promotion and we are essentially playing a Div 1 team in a semi. We wouldn't be taking Monaghan or Tyrone for granted and Armagh will ask plenty of questions. They have a much better midfield than Tyrone and over the past few weeks it has become clear that the team that control that sector have normally came out on top!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 11/11/2020 12:33:02    2307540

Link

As above Paddy McB and Neil are fine for the weekend according to Bonner, but Paddy McGrath has a soft tissue injury. Hope its nothing serious as if we get beyond Saturday he would be an important player to have fit in an area of the pitch we are not flush with options. Hopefully the rain will be gone by the weekend and there is reasonable conditions at the weekend.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 11/11/2020 14:30:08    2307615

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "Well it looks like they could be ready if you believe the press release today but Mc Grath is out. Dissapointed for him as he played well when introduced against Tyrone and he needs game time if we are to progress beyond this weekend. If we lose then it could be the last we see of him.
Huge game this weekend and we need to be really up for it. Armagh are on a high from their promotion and we are essentially playing a Div 1 team in a semi. We wouldn't be taking Monaghan or Tyrone for granted and Armagh will ask plenty of questions. They have a much better midfield than Tyrone and over the past few weeks it has become clear that the team that control that sector have normally came out on top!"
You are correct about the midfield area but I do think Donegal still have a big advantage there. If we keep mistakes to a minimum especially giving away cheap scores I think Donegal will have too much. I imagine Armagh will try to make things tight and compact but we have the long range kickers to negate this.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 11/11/2020 14:35:37    2307619

Link