Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To thelowball:  "Early days to be writing McGee and Paddy McGrath off. If both are injury free and in shape , the first two to be pencilled in , in Donegal full back line. Nice to see Aaron Doherty get recognized nationally as a top U-20 player, time to sit Jamie Brennan who had a poor 2020 and give the talented Doherty a shot."
Aaron Doherty good player yea but i don't think he's an out and out corner forward. This is one position we don't really have strength in depth. We have paddy. Oisin and Jamie and if we lose one of them like we did for a lot of games last year we don't really have any backup. It's the one position I hope we get cover for an out and inside forward to put pressure on Jamie and the lads. Jamie is still a terrific player but maybe if we could spring him with about 20 min to go then we'll see how good a player he is. A lot of debate on here about playing too many small players on the one team. I think Aaron Doherty was on the squad two years ago so he would be on managements radar but what position would he be best suited to.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 21/01/2021 16:25:22    2328353

Link

@ Rory, here you go again. Aaaron Doherty is an out an out scorer, I'd say he averages 8-10 pts again for his club Glen, singlehandedly winning games for them. There are Six forward positions ,sure he could be tried at any one of them. When was last time Brennan had stand out game for county or club for that matter. Guess you wouldn't want to rock the boat as far as team selection is concerned. Like for instance selecting Eoin McHugh corner back and McCole wing forward who couldn't even get on field in the previous year. Asinine!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 21/01/2021 17:43:53    2328361

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@ Rory, here you go again. Aaaron Doherty is an out an out scorer, I'd say he averages 8-10 pts again for his club Glen, singlehandedly winning games for them. There are Six forward positions ,sure he could be tried at any one of them. When was last time Brennan had stand out game for county or club for that matter. Guess you wouldn't want to rock the boat as far as team selection is concerned. Like for instance selecting Eoin McHugh corner back and McCole wing forward who couldn't even get on field in the previous year. Asinine!"
Not denying Aaron Doherty is a good player but he's not an out and out corner forward. When did Mc Cole play wing forward for Donegal I must have missed that game.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 21/01/2021 18:10:00    2328364

Link

McCole wing forward, Ulster final, Donegal v Cavan

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 21/01/2021 21:03:22    2328389

Link

Dont think Doherty is ready for the senior squad just yet.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 21/01/2021 21:04:43    2328390

Link

@ rock 2121, Is he ever, what's the difference between him and Mogan. Rate him actually ahead of Mogan! Maybe he is from wrong end of county!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 21/01/2021 22:11:20    2328403

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "McCole wing forward, Ulster final, Donegal v Cavan"
No he wasn't I don't know what game you were watching. Bonner must be getting to you.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 21/01/2021 22:20:43    2328406

Link

Keep hearing good things about Aaron Doherty but haven't seen much of him myself. However if ever a player deserves a consistent starting role in the forward line it has to be Oisin Gallen. There is no doubt if available he would have been on that top 20 under twenties list and possibly one or two more Donegal lads were they to go beyond Ulster. You would have to think they would have. Jamie Brennan still has a huge role to play but cannot be considered a guaranteed starter given his struggles in some of the biggest games of the last 2 seasons.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 22/01/2021 13:02:12    2328492

Link

@Rory , your really lost! McCole , if I am not mistaken played for the entire game in the Ulster final. Anyone care to set the record straight! Agree that Gallen should be huge Donegal player going forward. What had happened to McGettigan? Huge part of Glenties success, he seems to have fallen under the radar with the county in 2020.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 22/01/2021 13:37:50    2328500

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@Rory , your really lost! McCole , if I am not mistaken played for the entire game in the Ulster final. Anyone care to set the record straight! Agree that Gallen should be huge Donegal player going forward. What had happened to McGettigan? Huge part of Glenties success, he seems to have fallen under the radar with the county in 2020."
What are you rambling on about now. You stated Mc Cole played wing forward in ulster final. All I'm saying is he didn't which is correct , just because he replaced Thompson doesn't mean he played in the same position. Are you for real or do you really know anything about football I'm pretty sure it's the latter.. another thing you keep repeating is that Donegal can't afford too many small players and the last two players you mention would fall into that category Doherty and ma gettigan.. give me strength.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 22/01/2021 13:55:33    2328507

Link

@rory, u must have gotten a real bad batch of the wacky stuff because u have become completely delusional. For the record, Ban,McGee and Eoin McHugh full back line, half back Ryan, Paul Brennan and Mogan. McCole#23 right half forward. What, you're too embarrassed to admit that McCole was on the field, another bungle by ur boy Bonner(had to mention) and in fairness he wasn't the worst!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 22/01/2021 14:53:45    2328523

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "@rory, u must have gotten a real bad batch of the wacky stuff because u have become completely delusional. For the record, Ban,McGee and Eoin McHugh full back line, half back Ryan, Paul Brennan and Mogan. McCole#23 right half forward. What, you're too embarrassed to admit that McCole was on the field, another bungle by ur boy Bonner(had to mention) and in fairness he wasn't the worst!"
Ain't nothing wrong with Mc Cole he's been in and about the squad this last 4 or 5 years . Although he didn't get much game time one thing he showed was commitment and a good attitude he's definitely no prima Donna who would walk away if they weren't getting game time. Just like Hugh Mc fadden before,his time deservedly will come. Lowball if it keeps you happy thinking Mc Cole played wing forward I'll not argue with you. Wudnt like to upset you. By the way did Thomas galligan play wing half back that day for Cavan.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 22/01/2021 15:32:50    2328530

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Keep hearing good things about Aaron Doherty but haven't seen much of him myself. However if ever a player deserves a consistent starting role in the forward line it has to be Oisin Gallen. There is no doubt if available he would have been on that top 20 under twenties list and possibly one or two more Donegal lads were they to go beyond Ulster. You would have to think they would have. Jamie Brennan still has a huge role to play but cannot be considered a guaranteed starter given his struggles in some of the biggest games of the last 2 seasons."
I agree on Oisin Gallen and Jamie Brennan, although I think if we are playing in wide open spaces of Croke Park, Jamie Brennan would be lethal. I just noted that he seems to struggle in the tighter physical matches.

Paddy McBrearty shouldn't be a guaranteed starter either unless fully fit, I know he was only returning during the Ulster Championship, but as the Cavan match went on, it was evident that he wasn't fit.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 22/01/2021 16:15:58    2328536

Link

he's got you there Rory, as we all know wherever a player appears on the wee graphic before a game is exactly where they play in the match. Michael Murphy always, always, always plays at full forward.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 22/01/2021 16:30:15    2328541

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "he's got you there Rory, as we all know wherever a player appears on the wee graphic before a game is exactly where they play in the match. Michael Murphy always, always, always plays at full forward."
Silly me for not knowing that. No flies on lowball you would need to be up early in the day to beat him.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 22/01/2021 18:28:05    2328560

Link

To settle the debate, Mc Cole was on Galligan. Galligan played inside and out the field. Did he occupy the middle third hand forward positionz maybe. But he also occupied inside etc.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 22/01/2021 19:20:09    2328570

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "To settle the debate, Mc Cole was on Galligan. Galligan played inside and out the field. Did he occupy the middle third hand forward positionz maybe. But he also occupied inside etc."
Mc Cole picked up galligan wherever he went. Galligan did not play wing back at anytime he spend his time in between the full forward line and around the middle. So my point is Mc Cole did not play or was ever meant to play wing forward, from watching the game it's pretty obvious he was to pick up galligan when he moved inside.. I think that should be pretty obvious to most people.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 22/01/2021 19:46:13    2328576

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Mc Cole picked up galligan wherever he went. Galligan did not play wing back at anytime he spend his time in between the full forward line and around the middle. So my point is Mc Cole did not play or was ever meant to play wing forward, from watching the game it's pretty obvious he was to pick up galligan when he moved inside.. I think that should be pretty obvious to most people."
Agree with you.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 23/01/2021 23:02:16    2328703

Link

Again for the record, McCole was on the field, started wing forward and played the whole game, immaterial where he played or who he picked up after the throw in!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 24/01/2021 14:57:43    2328748

Link

You stated he played wing forward now you say it's immaterial where he played. Make up your mind and admit your just a bonner basher who knows nothing about football.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 24/01/2021 16:20:22    2328768

Link