Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Caolan Ward is fine player that hasn't opened up yet at county level, love to see Michael Carroll back in the panel , i just think he has the makings of a Keith Barr at center back

ballyshannon (Donegal) - Posts: 159 - 15/01/2021 09:23:13    2327509

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Neil McGee one of the first names on the sheet. Put Gillespie at no 6 if he can finally get a bit of luck and playing well."
Yeah that's right actually. If Neil is fit and well I think he's still our best #3. Gillespie at 6 if he gets some better luck.

Was just thinking there we'd need our house in order defensively for any potential match with Tyrone in 2021. It will be fascinating to see how they'll adapt post Mickey Harte. A few forwards like McAliskey and Lee Brennan have made themselves available again so a more attacking philosophy must be on the cards. Rumours too that Morgan has been playing a few challenge games at midfield. They'#ll have McShane back , young Canavan looks like a brilliant prospect and of course Conor McKenna will have settled fully in.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7302 - 15/01/2021 09:57:36    2327516

Link

Glad to see Langan, Mogan and especially Thompson get All Star nominations. In spite of the horror show in the Ulster final all three played great stuff up to then and deserve the nomination.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 15/01/2021 11:46:26    2327530

Link

Replying To ballyshannon:  "Caolan Ward is fine player that hasn't opened up yet at county level, love to see Michael Carroll back in the panel , i just think he has the makings of a Keith Barr at center back"
Caolan was in great form in the league before COVID scuppered the entire year. Something must have gone wrong when games started up again, whether he was carrying an injury or just lost form, I was disappointed not to see him involved in championship as I was really impressed with him especially against Monaghan, he was brilliant that day. How did he play for Eunans in club does anyone know?

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 15/01/2021 11:49:38    2327531

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Caolan was in great form in the league before COVID scuppered the entire year. Something must have gone wrong when games started up again, whether he was carrying an injury or just lost form, I was disappointed not to see him involved in championship as I was really impressed with him especially against Monaghan, he was brilliant that day. How did he play for Eunans in club does anyone know?"
Really like caolan ward , his biggest problem is where to play him, bonner likes to play him as a corner back but I feel he's more suited to half back. One thing I noticed about him is he always seems to play a lot of the league but come championship he seems to fall down the pecking order. Is there an explanation I don't know but he's definitely a very important player to have in any squad. Hope he sticks at it which I think he will because listening to his interviews he seems a very dedicated lad. I thought I read somewhere where Conor Morrison will have to sit out this year too. Hopefully not true but if it is it'll be disappointing news. He's one player I always keep a close eye on because I feel we definitely need a player like that in our defence a real in your face player. Hopefully he'll get back soon and get a sustained run at it.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 946 - 15/01/2021 14:15:25    2327572

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Really like caolan ward , his biggest problem is where to play him, bonner likes to play him as a corner back but I feel he's more suited to half back. One thing I noticed about him is he always seems to play a lot of the league but come championship he seems to fall down the pecking order. Is there an explanation I don't know but he's definitely a very important player to have in any squad. Hope he sticks at it which I think he will because listening to his interviews he seems a very dedicated lad. I thought I read somewhere where Conor Morrison will have to sit out this year too. Hopefully not true but if it is it'll be disappointing news. He's one player I always keep a close eye on because I feel we definitely need a player like that in our defence a real in your face player. Hopefully he'll get back soon and get a sustained run at it."
Yeah I think Morrison is out for 2021. It wasn't just the cruciate he did. There was other damage to the knee cap and tendons as well. An awful injury. He's made of the right stuff though, hopefully we'll see him in the green and gold in 2022 and beyond.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7302 - 15/01/2021 15:01:49    2327580

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah assuming all fit and available you could have a back 6 of...

2. Morrison
3. Gillespie
4. McMenamin
5. McFadden-Ferry
6. O'Baoill (?)
7. Eoghan Ban

or depending on the game you could have Mogan or R McHugh wing back. CHB is a position that needs attention I think."
Conor Morrison is out for 2021 unfortunately, real shame as he was starting to look the part, but he should be back for 2022. But otherwise your 2. 3 and 4 is good.

I'm still not sure about O'Baoill, he is athletic and has pace, but just hasn't clicked yet at this level, his decision making is what lets him down.

Eoghan Ban Gallagher is our No 6, he is wasted at Corner back and man marking, his strength is breaking at pace and adding to attacked. Problem is if he is flanked by Ryan McHugh and Peadar Mogan, it leaves the half back line a bit light weight and that could be a problem against big powerful running teams.

Full forward is another problem area, when we are in tight pitches in physical battle, we fell just short against Mayo and Cavan, and one stand out from both of those matches was how poor our inside forwards were. Jamie Brennan, Murphy and McBrearty initially looked ok in the first half, but as the match dragged on, they disapeared.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 15/01/2021 22:43:25    2327659

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Conor Morrison is out for 2021 unfortunately, real shame as he was starting to look the part, but he should be back for 2022. But otherwise your 2. 3 and 4 is good.

I'm still not sure about O'Baoill, he is athletic and has pace, but just hasn't clicked yet at this level, his decision making is what lets him down.

Eoghan Ban Gallagher is our No 6, he is wasted at Corner back and man marking, his strength is breaking at pace and adding to attacked. Problem is if he is flanked by Ryan McHugh and Peadar Mogan, it leaves the half back line a bit light weight and that could be a problem against big powerful running teams.

Full forward is another problem area, when we are in tight pitches in physical battle, we fell just short against Mayo and Cavan, and one stand out from both of those matches was how poor our inside forwards were. Jamie Brennan, Murphy and McBrearty initially looked ok in the first half, but as the match dragged on, they disapeared."
I agree on the level of fight / Passion whatever we call it , games that we have lost in recent years have been like that opposition throwing their bodies on the line etc.
On your point about the inside forward line going missing, inside forward lines rely on good ball and it was more the middle third were the fight was lost and the tough in your face tempo of our opposition stopped this, especially as you point out on a tighter pitch.
What the current team lacks is full blooded ball winners, I love this team great footballers but that is where I believe we lack.

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 235 - 16/01/2021 09:44:43    2327682

Link

Playing Ryan McHugh,Ban Gallagher and Mogan in the half back line is not going to work. Their similar players in that they can break tackles and fly up the field, but none of them possess the 'brute physicality' necessary to be stoppers, which is what the half back line should be. Ban is an out and out wing back, but due to Donegals bungling management seldom gets to play there. Mc Fadden might be the option at no 6. As far as the inside line is concerned Brennan was a now show in 2020, Murphy the architect of his own downfall last year by trying to play the whole field. Don't know if this is sideline directive, Murphy still huge player if deployed between edge of D and 14 meter line, hopefully Patrick can regain the form that had him in the top 3or4 forwards in the country a couple of years ago.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 16/01/2021 14:55:54    2327706

Link

Has there been any comment or suggestion as to why McBrearty was taken off at half time in the Ulster final?

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 345 - 17/01/2021 18:26:07    2327836

Link

Replying To greatpoint:  "Has there been any comment or suggestion as to why McBrearty was taken off at half time in the Ulster final?"
No, probably because he was taken off in the 58th minute.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 399 - 17/01/2021 18:58:47    2327840

Link

Replying To ballyshannon:  "Caolan Ward is fine player that hasn't opened up yet at county level, love to see Michael Carroll back in the panel , i just think he has the makings of a Keith Barr at center back"
Caolan Ward was the most impressive player during the League before first lock down, on return he was nowhere to be seen. Has anyone any views on this or any reason for it.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 97 - 17/01/2021 19:56:43    2327850

Link

Replying To HEREBENJI:  "No, probably because he was taken off in the 58th minute."
Apologies, I'm obviously misremembering and it wasn't half time. Any idea why Donegal's only forward scoring threat was taken off for Thompson when the teams were level with 12 minutes to go?

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 345 - 18/01/2021 02:20:41    2327868

Link

Replying To greatpoint:  "Apologies, I'm obviously misremembering and it wasn't half time. Any idea why Donegal's only forward scoring threat was taken off for Thompson when the teams were level with 12 minutes to go?"
McBearthy was just back from injury and Thompson having been MoM in the Tyrone game and Single handedly brought NC to a County final with a win over St.Eunans was fit for 12-15 mins so why not make that sub? with the last kick of the game he hit the post while through on goal as well

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 366 - 18/01/2021 13:10:31    2327917

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah assuming all fit and available you could have a back 6 of...

2. Morrison
3. Gillespie
4. McMenamin
5. McFadden-Ferry
6. O'Baoill (?)
7. Eoghan Ban

or depending on the game you could have Mogan or R McHugh wing back. CHB is a position that needs attention I think."
Paul Brennan will be starting at CHB in 2021 if available. It would be nice to see those 6 men fully fit and performing, but even if they were all fully fit, I would be keeping faith in Brennan after his excellent Championship campaign. I would be very surprised to see DO'B take his spot at CHB.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 210 - 19/01/2021 15:50:35    2328094

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "McBearthy was just back from injury and Thompson having been MoM in the Tyrone game and Single handedly brought NC to a County final with a win over St.Eunans was fit for 12-15 mins so why not make that sub? with the last kick of the game he hit the post while through on goal as well"
Thompson is class and undoubtedly a key player for Donegal, but surely there was another way to get him on without sacrificing their only scoring threat? They scored one point total with him off the pitch.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 345 - 20/01/2021 09:15:32    2328166

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Paul Brennan will be starting at CHB in 2021 if available. It would be nice to see those 6 men fully fit and performing, but even if they were all fully fit, I would be keeping faith in Brennan after his excellent Championship campaign. I would be very surprised to see DO'B take his spot at CHB."
O'Baoill is fine footballer but he completely out of form destroyed by kerry in the league , gave stupid pass against Tyrone i think in the league as well when he came on and was headless against Cavan as well

ballyshannon (Donegal) - Posts: 159 - 20/01/2021 09:58:02    2328170

Link

Back 6 been posted without Neil Mc Gee and Paddy Mc Grath ???

Surely on the wind up ??

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1185 - 20/01/2021 18:11:19    2328251

Link

Early days to be writing McGee and Paddy McGrath off. If both are injury free and in shape , the first two to be pencilled in , in Donegal full back line. Nice to see Aaron Doherty get recognized nationally as a top U-20 player, time to sit Jamie Brennan who had a poor 2020 and give the talented Doherty a shot.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 21/01/2021 14:18:52    2328323

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "Back 6 been posted without Neil Mc Gee and Paddy Mc Grath ???

Surely on the wind up ??"
I would start both if 100% fir and injury free. How likely will that be though? I'd obviously love for it to be the case, the more hardened defenders as options the better. But the back 6 I posted was more a nod to the future.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7302 - 21/01/2021 15:23:12    2328342

Link