Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To thelowball:  "@Rory , Talking about crying, you must be up all night 'crying' after that disaster or did u see a different game and tactics to everyone else!Then you're calling for new 'managers' to be named. Why don't you try the county board with that one . McGrath and the board must be getting pretty disillusioned watching Bonners shenanigans at this stage!2 Ulsters and done.Supposed to topple theDubs! Need a manager. End of."
You never have an answer always attacking management. If you have better options it would be a start. Where have you been hiding since the football started. If bonner wants the job next year he'll get it because he deserves it so crawl under your rock for another year good lad.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 895 - 23/11/2020 14:39:28    2314021

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Glad to see there is one poster who has had their internet connection fixed just in time to stick the boot into management, funny their connection to this forum never seems to be working when we're on a winning run :-)"
Internet going well in al parts of Donegal today. Sad times

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 895 - 23/11/2020 15:35:17    2314069

Link

Keep crying ,crawling and fixin the issues, that's a lad!
On the subject of rocks you were well and truly 'rocked' yesterday! Go away Rory me boy.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 288 - 23/11/2020 16:27:27    2314113

Link

Just reading, all the talk pre-match of a three in a row and how difficult it is, even retaining Ulster is very rare. Only been done 7 times since Down's 1961 three-in-a-row team:

Down (1965 & 1966)
Derry (1975 & 1976)
Tyrone (1995 & 1996)
Armagh (1999 & 2000)
Donegal (2011 & 2012)
Tyrone (2016 & 2017)
Donegal (2018 & 2019)

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1162 - 23/11/2020 17:01:38    2314141

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "They used to say about fellas that were committed to a cause that they'd put their head into places you wouldn't put a crow bar,
Thomas Galligan and his crew reminded me of that yesterday, heart and bravery, you can't train that into fellas, you have it or you don't.
McGuinness used to walk among the circle and asking everyman in turn, 'Can I trust you? Can I trust you? when the chips have been down in the last few years we have gone missing.
Jim made some wrong calls from the line too as all managers do, but we haven't been in an All Ireland semi final since he left.
I have great time for Declan and Rochford etc, but we need a change, this isn't good enough for the talent we have, we should be challenging for the Sam Maguire, not wimping out when the irons in the fire."
We haven't been to a semi final since 2014. The failures are not just at senior do we blame Bonner and Rochford for that too? However there is no question we seem to be lacking the psychological element Jim brought.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 23/11/2020 18:54:18    2314201

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "If the Management is perfect and the S &C the best and a great panel of players available , why was there such a collapse yesterday, and not just yesterday, same happened last year against Mayo. If that happened with the All Blacks the Management would be gone immediately after the first collapse and there would be no one making excuses for them."
Nobody said the management is perfect think if you read my posts I think there are some questions over selections which point to looking a game ahead. However they are levels above what was there before. Plus the great players have plenty to answer, the management don't kick the ball at the end of the day. The S & C had no relevance or basis especially in relation to yesterday and is just pure nonsense talk. I don't really need to say anything about the All Blacks comparison as Ulster already exposed that for what it is.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 23/11/2020 19:03:29    2314207

Link

Look what's done is done, I hope Declan and the management team are given full backing straight away for next year, biggest concern I'd have and I know I'm going to be criticized here is that the old heads are told straight away there definitely needed next year because say what you want about all the talent coming through the days like yesterday will come every year and that's when you want your warriors to appear,
Frank and Leo left after last year and in my opinion there was more left in them if even only coming of the bench in the last 20, frank got a raw deal in Castlebar and that made his mind up, but jez we could of done with him this year. When we win our next big cup then them old heads can be thanked properly like they deserve.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 42 - 23/11/2020 19:05:31    2314208

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Dublin's backroom is a lot more impressive and experienced in relation to our own. They have Bryan Cullen, former International Rules player, Al winning captain who has done it at the highest level and knows what is needed to succeed. Compare that to our backroom team - had anyone heard of them before they were appointed? You can argue to your blue in the face but the proof has been in the pudding when it really has mattered and we are coming off second best."
Yeah I was fairly familiar with who Karl Lacey, Stephen Rochford and Paul McGonigle before they were appointed. Isn't Bryan Cullen involved with the S & C side of things with Dublin? You going back to that old excuse again? No county can compare to Dublin and their backroom teams. Only this morning Kieran Donaghy alluded to been at the Westmeath game and had to go to get something from his car after the game started. On his way out he encountered 5 members of the Dublin team separate to the rest all on laptops. One can only presume they were analytical and performance guys.....can you name any of them? He also said he never seen anything like it so any comparisons are folly. I was at a Dublin under 17 Leinster match last year. They had 3 cameras recording the match one behind one of the goals and one each side of the pitch. They also had members of the backroom team wired up in different parts of the ground I counted 4 but possibly more. This was in addition to a large backroom attendance on the bench and in the stand behind them. All this at under 17? Be few senior county sides who would have the luxury of such a set up.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 23/11/2020 19:15:01    2314213

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "We haven't been to a semi final since 2014. The failures are not just at senior do we blame Bonner and Rochford for that too? However there is no question we seem to be lacking the psychological element Jim brought."
A man put it very well to me today he said a lot of our boys were playing with wing mirrors on, they could see they tackle or hit coming and decided to duck out of it.
I felt so sorry for Michael Murphy yesterday, the man has carried us for so long and he was doing his best to cover every blade of grass, Ryan McHugh and McGee too, warriors to the core them boys, Michael made one mighty run in the 2nd half I think it was, survived 2 or 3 hits and laid the ball off but the man he gave it too didn't take the score and lost possession.
There was a period when we were leading, Cavan were probably down to 14 at the time, we had chances that would have sunk them but we kicked bad wides, Eoin Ban ran the length of the field and then kicked a stupid half shot/half pass that ended up in the Cavan goalies arms, that kind of stuff just fired fuel into the Cavan tank,
we need Jim back to sort these fellas heads out and put some fire in their bellies or else get men in that have it,
it's a problem with the mentality, we have bucket loads of ability and fitness.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1206 - 23/11/2020 19:23:40    2314218

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Look what's done is done, I hope Declan and the management team are given full backing straight away for next year, biggest concern I'd have and I know I'm going to be criticized here is that the old heads are told straight away there definitely needed next year because say what you want about all the talent coming through the days like yesterday will come every year and that's when you want your warriors to appear,
Frank and Leo left after last year and in my opinion there was more left in them if even only coming of the bench in the last 20, frank got a raw deal in Castlebar and that made his mind up, but jez we could of done with him this year. When we win our next big cup then them old heads can be thanked properly like they deserve."
I agree with you about Frank and Leo, we badly needed men like that yesterday even for the last half hour, no good sending boys in to do men's work.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1206 - 23/11/2020 19:28:24    2314219

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Look what's done is done, I hope Declan and the management team are given full backing straight away for next year, biggest concern I'd have and I know I'm going to be criticized here is that the old heads are told straight away there definitely needed next year because say what you want about all the talent coming through the days like yesterday will come every year and that's when you want your warriors to appear,
Frank and Leo left after last year and in my opinion there was more left in them if even only coming of the bench in the last 20, frank got a raw deal in Castlebar and that made his mind up, but jez we could of done with him this year. When we win our next big cup then them old heads can be thanked properly like they deserve."
I was thinking of Frank all last week Tyrion. We definitely could have done with him. Yes Castlebar was a tough one but wasn't he carrying a knock too? These training sessions the weeks of big games are proving costly. Read since that indeed Gallen got injured in training as did Thompson. The Thompson one was more a knock but enough for him not to start.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 23/11/2020 19:30:28    2314222

Link

Look what's done is done, I hope Declan and the management team are given full backing straight away for next year, biggest concern I'd have and I know I'm going to be criticized here is that the old heads are told straight away there definitely needed next year because say what you want about all the talent coming through the days like yesterday will come every year and that's when you want your warriors to appear,
Frank and Leo left after last year and in my opinion there was more left in them if even only coming of the bench in the last 20, frank got a raw deal in Castlebar and that made his mind up, but jez we could of done with him this year. When we win our next big cup then them old heads can be thanked properly like they deserve.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 42 - 23/11/2020 19:42:47    2314233

Link

Yea I hope Neil Mc gee and mc grath stay on . Neil proved yesterday that age is still no barrier. A Donegal team without Neil would just not be the same, just get Gillespie back and then our defence will be a lot stronger. 2021 is just a month away .

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 895 - 23/11/2020 19:54:50    2314241

Link

Generally in agreement with most of what people are saying including Commodore, Ulster champs, Joe, Lock and Tyrion especially.

On a couple of the talking points. Eoin McHugh warranted his starting spot yesterday and he played well. However I didn't like his positioning personally speaking. It is imperative the management stay on given the short turn around. However players and management really need to reflect and act upon our mental failings. It isn't just a coincidence our season has ended when one game away from an all Ireland semi final regardless of the opponents. We were ravaged in the full back line so there is a element of bad luck there but not to the degree it cost us the game yesterday as defensively while far from perfect wasn't our downfall. However a half baked Paddy McBrearty and a couple of lads proven to be not sorted to that type of game was. We need to learn from this. Bringing on a Jamie Brennan or Niall O'Donnell in such a game against tired bodies could potentially be far more productive than starting. We were down a couple of lads who have the drive and sheer dogged nature such a game requires apart from Neil. Some of these lads need to develop this bit of nastiness as being nice footballers only gets you so far.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 23/11/2020 20:07:53    2314252

Link

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, we need a change of management, we have failed too often now to get to the semi final stage.
if Jim is available and wants the job we should do whatever it takes to make it happen, his heart is still in Donegal and the GAA, there's an All Ireland in us but the window is closing when we still have the mighty Murphy to lead us there, no time for messing about anymore.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1206 - 23/11/2020 20:12:00    2314255

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I was thinking of Frank all last week Tyrion. We definitely could have done with him. Yes Castlebar was a tough one but wasn't he carrying a knock too? These training sessions the weeks of big games are proving costly. Read since that indeed Gallen got injured in training as did Thompson. The Thompson one was more a knock but enough for him not to start."
Yeah Panamasam I was peved about frank not getting a run out in Castlebar last yr especially after him being named on the 26 so I made enquirers in the glenfin area afterwards and was told he would of bust a gut to get on, but that's not the point I'm trying to say, it's more so we've 2/3 warriors in the backs that I'd be hoping
Will be getting a call sooner rather than later ( for them fellas will be hurting this week more than anybody) not to be making hasty decisions and assure them there part of the picture going forward, in anything in life you can't composate for experience and it'd help some of them young bucks coming through, yrs gone by the warriors would be given a spell off and called in later even if it's on the bench for maybe a last 20 and I definitely don't want to see another 3 gone as well as the 2 we lost last year. Ps don't know why my last post came up twice.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 42 - 23/11/2020 20:12:56    2314256

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Just reading, all the talk pre-match of a three in a row and how difficult it is, even retaining Ulster is very rare. Only been done 7 times since Down's 1961 three-in-a-row team:

Down (1965 & 1966)
Derry (1975 & 1976)
Tyrone (1995 & 1996)
Armagh (1999 & 2000)
Donegal (2011 & 2012)
Tyrone (2016 & 2017)
Donegal (2018 & 2019)"
Armagh won 3 in a row between 2004 and 2006. Beat Donegal for the first and third and I was in Croke Park to watch them both. Yesterday brought back the painful memories of them for sure

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1421 - 23/11/2020 20:24:40    2314266

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I was thinking of Frank all last week Tyrion. We definitely could have done with him. Yes Castlebar was a tough one but wasn't he carrying a knock too? These training sessions the weeks of big games are proving costly. Read since that indeed Gallen got injured in training as did Thompson. The Thompson one was more a knock but enough for him not to start."
Talking about injuries in training and that can happen.We have heard about how competitive training games are and the great competition for places and that is good.Brian Coady and Kilkenny built their success around that philosophy.But with the heavy grounds in recent weeks maybe it was time to ease off a little bit.Donegal and particularly Murphy looked a bit leggy yesterday.Is it possible even with all the expertise these days that they got it wrong.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 701 - 23/11/2020 20:34:48    2314273

Link

I also thought frank was injured for Castlebar. Though think it was a kind of a game that would have suited someone like Leo, at his dogged best. Although conditions were good and pitch was in good shape it's not summer football. A little like a club final conditions. Leo has form in dragging teams like this over the line in these type ot matches. Against eunans in one of the finals he showed great leadership to pull them through, it was a super performance. Whether he still has it i don't know but agree about trying to keep players on as long as possible.
When thinking about the kind of match it was it has me thinking about Micheal Carroll. Although gweedore lost last year in the final he showed great leadership in the third match and hit three great points. This year he looked to fall out with the club a bit and didn't play against mccumhaills. Is it just that he's not into the commitment required, does anyone know?

There's a a very good bbc clip showing cavan celebrating and murphy watching on - the agony and the ecstasy. Bonner also did an interview with the dl debate on highland a fair play tom him for that. He was clearly bitterly disappointed and got a sense that he's certainly not sure about staying on. The commitment levels just seem to off the charts and wonder us it worth all the hassle. Maybe some of the folks on here will get what they want. I hope he does stay on.

Stephen King (ex cavan great) was on the same program, he comes across as a true gentleman and a very gracious winner. I'm still gutted though we didn't beat them.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 353 - 23/11/2020 20:49:07    2314288

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Very one sided reply jack. No word of winning a club all Ireland with corofin or of beating Kerry and Tyrone to make them all ireland finals. From talking to people he's very highly praised as a very good coach and if you don't mind me saying we have nobody like him in Donegal"
That team that took the field for Donegal yesterday didn't look like a team that was well coached in fact they played like a team that had no coaching

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 77 - 23/11/2020 20:58:12    2314294

Link