Louth Forum

Club Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Are the league games going ahead this week?I see a couple of division 4 games postponed this week. I assume because some teams are still on the beer.

Townie1969 (Louth) - Posts: 13 - 30/09/2020 18:33:42    2294928

Link

Are the league games going ahead this week?I see a couple of division 4 games postponed this week. I assume because some teams are still on the beer.

Townie1969 (Louth) - Posts: 13 - 30/09/2020 18:33:56    2294929

Link

Yes it is worth highlighting a terrible mistake like this and you's have all done that now so time to move on. Cos it will come across as been sore losers if you keep whinging about it cos nothing is going to change the result or nothing is going to happen regards the referee so it's over now

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 129 - 30/09/2020 18:45:01    2294931

Link

I would like to congratulated all those involved in the Louth County Board for the running of the games during 2020.
Darver was a great success the televising of the games was a God send to all who were unable to attend the games because Covid 19 restrictions. There's a lot of discussion regarding the standard of the football which I agree with but we are not Kerry they use the barony system where players come from different clubs. I think it would worth trying some type of amalgamations but I can't the Clubs agreeing to this.

cuchul20 (Louth) - Posts: 8 - 30/09/2020 21:46:10    2294951

Link

Replying To Louth Gael:  "Well the current situation is that a ref can blow full time at any stage between 60 and 70 mins, in a game that is nip and tuck like last Saturdays you are essentially giving the ref the power to decide who wins. I don't think any team who trains hard from January agrees this is a fair way for their season to be decided. Like in this game the ref signaled there would be three minutes added for stopages in the 30mins, then he plays an extra 5 mins for stoppages in the 3 mins."
Yeah I agree that the added time does not add up and the pick ball was an incorrect decision. But that is not what I am challenging you on. Who do you want them to answer to? Dundalk Democrat? The management teams? That is opening up Pandora's box. Especially since in recent years around the country we have seen more and more referees being physically attacked. I think the standard of refereeing is not great and the biggest issue is consistency. But if you start demanding that amateur referees have to come out and explain their actions, then you can forget about having enough referees to officiate our games. Because we are already under pressure in that regard.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 406 - 01/10/2020 09:29:39    2294977

Link

Replying To huha:  "Well Smallboy did you watch the replay yet?"
No, but I am told you are right, Just goes to show these things can be hard to spot. I wasn't as close to the challenge as the referee, but from the angle I was at, I thought it was a fiar shoulder. Hope Darren Clarke is okay.

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 293 - 01/10/2020 10:42:57    2295001

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Yeah I agree that the added time does not add up and the pick ball was an incorrect decision. But that is not what I am challenging you on. Who do you want them to answer to? Dundalk Democrat? The management teams? That is opening up Pandora's box. Especially since in recent years around the country we have seen more and more referees being physically attacked. I think the standard of refereeing is not great and the biggest issue is consistency. But if you start demanding that amateur referees have to come out and explain their actions, then you can forget about having enough referees to officiate our games. Because we are already under pressure in that regard."
Are either of you taking in to consideration the water break time, as LuTV does not stop the clock for this?

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 293 - 01/10/2020 10:54:55    2295004

Link

Replying To SmallBoy:  "No, but I am told you are right, Just goes to show these things can be hard to spot. I wasn't as close to the challenge as the referee, but from the angle I was at, I thought it was a fiar shoulder. Hope Darren Clarke is okay."
It wasn't even close to being a fair shoulder. Not saying it was intentional but it was an elbow into the head.

6Number (Louth) - Posts: 30 - 01/10/2020 11:13:17    2295013

Link

Replying To SmallBoy:  "Are either of you taking in to consideration the water break time, as LuTV does not stop the clock for this?"
Yes, the water break time is part of the additional time announced, i.e. The referee has already included this when he gives the official the time to be added. I wasn't sure myself but I got clarity on it from a referee. So still the whistle should have blown at 63mins.

Louth Gael (Louth) - Posts: 1227 - 01/10/2020 12:05:52    2295027

Link

Replying To SmallBoy:  "Are either of you taking in to consideration the water break time, as LuTV does not stop the clock for this?"
I didn't take it into consideration because its completely irrelevant to my point. My point was in relation to the idea of referees having to come out and explain themselves if they get decisions wrong.

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 406 - 01/10/2020 12:24:25    2295031

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "I didn't take it into consideration because its completely irrelevant to my point. My point was in relation to the idea of referees having to come out and explain themselves if they get decisions wrong."
You agreed that the time didn't add up. I was only asking because this would account for a large portion of the time, if the referee was only playing 3 mins and he wasn't including the water break time in this, you can add on 2-3 mis on top of the 3 he decalred was to be added on. I agree with your other point 100%, decisions are made, rightly or wrongly, and referees are calling it as they see it. They shouldn't be made explain themselves.

SmallBoy (Louth) - Posts: 293 - 01/10/2020 12:52:31    2295039

Link

Did the Laurence mcEntee that was playing for Lannleire in the jfc final used to play for the Finbarrs??

Are the Lenehan brothers not involved with Finbarrs any more??

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 225 - 01/10/2020 18:52:06    2295126

Link

Replying To SmallBoy:  "You agreed that the time didn't add up. I was only asking because this would account for a large portion of the time, if the referee was only playing 3 mins and he wasn't including the water break time in this, you can add on 2-3 mis on top of the 3 he decalred was to be added on. I agree with your other point 100%, decisions are made, rightly or wrongly, and referees are calling it as they see it. They shouldn't be made explain themselves."
Maybe if there was some accountability they wouldn't give a free unless they were sure but again the bigger issue is the time. Until this is sorted we are essentially allowing referees to decide the winner of any close games. Central council have voted to take the time off the referee but that was a couple of years ago and still the powers that be haven't changed anything. We can all just say get on with it but that attitude allows sub standard refereeing to continue. I am not calling for a public hearing but at the very least their performances should be reviewed by the county board in camera and they can be asked to explain why they made certain decisions. There is just too much effort being put in by players nowadays to be let down by officials at the final hurdle. There is a situation in Kildare at the moment whereby Celbridge players felt the referee was the reason they lost their semi final. With no other avenue available to them to appeal they have left the county panel to make a protest.

Louth Gael (Louth) - Posts: 1227 - 01/10/2020 18:59:27    2295129

Link

Replying To Louth Gael:  "Maybe if there was some accountability they wouldn't give a free unless they were sure but again the bigger issue is the time. Until this is sorted we are essentially allowing referees to decide the winner of any close games. Central council have voted to take the time off the referee but that was a couple of years ago and still the powers that be haven't changed anything. We can all just say get on with it but that attitude allows sub standard refereeing to continue. I am not calling for a public hearing but at the very least their performances should be reviewed by the county board in camera and they can be asked to explain why they made certain decisions. There is just too much effort being put in by players nowadays to be let down by officials at the final hurdle. There is a situation in Kildare at the moment whereby Celbridge players felt the referee was the reason they lost their semi final. With no other avenue available to them to appeal they have left the county panel to make a protest."
I do understand where you are coming from, referees are very inconsistent at present, however it looks like you just got a bad call against you on the day. Unfortunately that's part of sport, I don't think its fair to have referees hauled up before county boards to explain every call. If that was the case we will have no referees at all.
Even with the referees bad call, Dunleer were still going to leave with a draw at worst, the ref cant be blamed for the finbarrs goal, I think you'd have to look a little closer to home for that one.
Lastly I didn't see you coming on here after the quarter final saying the ref made an incorrect game changing decision for the tones sending off, or after the semi final when the ref didn't give glyde a blatant penalty. It seems like you only want ref's held to account when its a poor call against your team.

Rodzilla (Louth) - Posts: 15 - 02/10/2020 14:53:57    2295299

Link

Replying To Rodzilla:  "I do understand where you are coming from, referees are very inconsistent at present, however it looks like you just got a bad call against you on the day. Unfortunately that's part of sport, I don't think its fair to have referees hauled up before county boards to explain every call. If that was the case we will have no referees at all.
Even with the referees bad call, Dunleer were still going to leave with a draw at worst, the ref cant be blamed for the finbarrs goal, I think you'd have to look a little closer to home for that one.
Lastly I didn't see you coming on here after the quarter final saying the ref made an incorrect game changing decision for the tones sending off, or after the semi final when the ref didn't give glyde a blatant penalty. It seems like you only want ref's held to account when its a poor call against your team."
I already said that I didn't think the tones player should have been sent off and I too thought that Glyde had a penalty shout in the semi although I was watching from the other end so I couldn't really judge. Of course it annoys me more if it's my own team but like I stated already the big issue is the time keeping not one bad decision . None of this would matter if the ref just played the additional time and that was it. There is no doubt about what the ref was doing playing over the time because when it backfired he then continued to play up to almost 8 mins in the hope that lannleire would equalise.

Louth Gael (Louth) - Posts: 1227 - 02/10/2020 19:11:11    2295360

Link

Bla bla bla it's all history now,over,finished,gone!! So any other Craic??!

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 129 - 02/10/2020 22:32:43    2295392

Link

All ifs,buts and maybes but it's over now Finbarrs are the champions dunleer are junior for another year yet again c'est la vie!

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 129 - 03/10/2020 06:59:59    2295402

Link