Longford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

No reason why all 3 unfinished championships can't be finished at the start of next season . Important to have championship winners for the year. Often happened in the past I believe. But I agree that clarity is needed now and the ccc should call it that they will not fix any more club games this year and will finish the competitions at the start of new year. County still on and the players need clarity now not next week imo.

jack99 (Dublin) - Posts: 16 - 06/10/2020 21:58:10    2296161

Link

Replying To jack99:  "No reason why all 3 unfinished championships can't be finished at the start of next season . Important to have championship winners for the year. Often happened in the past I believe. But I agree that clarity is needed now and the ccc should call it that they will not fix any more club games this year and will finish the competitions at the start of new year. County still on and the players need clarity now not next week imo."
while i agree the problem here is we havent a clue what the national situation will be like next february or march. it could be worse then it is now. do we have the six teams training away during winter for semis/finals that there is a good chance wont happen? croke park need to give guidance to the county boards here. totally agree that clarity is a matter of urgency. doubt it will be though as players lives rarely comes into these officials heads.

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 07/10/2020 10:06:50    2296193

Link

Replying To jack99:  "No reason why all 3 unfinished championships can't be finished at the start of next season . Important to have championship winners for the year. Often happened in the past I believe. But I agree that clarity is needed now and the ccc should call it that they will not fix any more club games this year and will finish the competitions at the start of new year. County still on and the players need clarity now not next week imo."
I was looking at the records on the Longford website and the last time a Senior Championship was not completed in its own year was 1911 when the final games rolled into 1912 due to a dispute in one of the semi-finals. That meant no competition for 1912 itself though. The only other time I can see a delay to a different year in a major final in Longford was Leader Cup. The 1937 Leader Cup rolled into 1938 (leading to no 1938 Leader Cup competition), while 1965 & 1966 Leader Cup finals were both played in 1967 (leading to no 1967 Leader Cup). The 2018 Leader Cup just didn't happen because of Mullinalaghtas involvement in club championship, and even though there was only the final to play, it was never refixed for 2019 or 2020. So refixing in a new year is a rare occurrence, especially in Senior Championship, and whenever it did happen, it led to no new competition in the year refixed for. Different times, different outcomes, but lads won't be able to keep training on a possibility of a Q1 restart. Odds are not in favour of a restart as things stand.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 07/10/2020 12:27:10    2296227

Link

Correction to above... I forgot to include the 1986 Leader Cup final which was played in 1987. I believe that is the last time a major final in Longford was played in a different year. Fr. Manning Gaels won the 1986 Leader Cup in March 1987 and then had the unique distinction of winning two Leader Cups in same year when they retained the title in August 1987.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 07/10/2020 12:33:42    2296228

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Thanks CCCC committee member with axe to grind"
Dont agree with such a statement on here. ccc cant control covid. HSE directed what teams could not play because of contacts or cases, so whats your point? What ccc member has an axe to grind? What game should of been played that wasn't?

Longfordgaamad (Longford) - Posts: 4 - 07/10/2020 12:45:52    2296232

Link

People thinking the County Board could play two championships in one year. They struggle to get one played on time. After this evenings news on inter county games this years club season in Longford is a write off. It's unfortunate for Killoe, Slashers, St.Columbas and Mostrim.

Ward30 (Longford) - Posts: 3 - 08/10/2020 21:19:50    2296477

Link

Replying To Longfordgaamad:  "Dont agree with such a statement on here. ccc cant control covid. HSE directed what teams could not play because of contacts or cases, so whats your point? What ccc member has an axe to grind? What game should of been played that wasn't?"
Apologies that should have read Hearing Committee, not CCCC Committee. It was a response to the earlier comment from a different poster inferring that a specific club was responsible for the fact that the championship hasn't been played. If the ban nonsense had not been advanced by certain individual(s) on the Hearing Committee, the County Final would have been on 27th September, so anyone blaming the recent Covid contact issue need bear that in mind. I have no issue with the fixtures committee - their task has been unenviable over past weeks and I agree with their decision to play games mid-week to get it all done. Alas they just ran out of time in the end.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 09/10/2020 12:03:06    2296542

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Apologies that should have read Hearing Committee, not CCCC Committee. It was a response to the earlier comment from a different poster inferring that a specific club was responsible for the fact that the championship hasn't been played. If the ban nonsense had not been advanced by certain individual(s) on the Hearing Committee, the County Final would have been on 27th September, so anyone blaming the recent Covid contact issue need bear that in mind. I have no issue with the fixtures committee - their task has been unenviable over past weeks and I agree with their decision to play games mid-week to get it all done. Alas they just ran out of time in the end."
Fair enough.. that makes more sense

Longfordgaamad (Longford) - Posts: 4 - 09/10/2020 12:34:47    2296552

Link