Longford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To slasher9:  "i was asked to share what was on social media and i mentioned the comment i saw (there were others but now deleted) and spinx sent the link. yes a bit of crack but it just highlighted what i and plenty of others thought about the closing stages of the game. farce. look at my previous posts here i was fully supportive of killoe, no grudge at all, that has just left a sour taste in my mouth but look it's over and done with lots of football left to be played thankfully. opinion hasnt changed on it being a killoe mullinalaghta final"
you did and unlike another poster here who seems to have an agenda, you stuck close to the rules and facts during the debate. But i disagree in calling out supporters on comments made on social media when they can be as much about taking the mick as anything else that post clearly was (taking one post without knowing the user or their posting style can at times be misleading). i also disagree with the claim that killoe closed out the game to do in clonguish. I've seen killoe do the possession thing before in games (they even did it in the county final and were almost caught out) so nothing looked out of the ordinary to me at least.

it's done and dusted and i agree that it will be a killoe v mullinalaghta (unless abbey have another one in the chamber). it's mullinalghta's title for me.

shootfromthelip (Longford) - Posts: 20 - 14/09/2020 19:16:46    2292105

Link

Replying To Spinx:  "https://twitter.com/Irish7Summits/status/1304514813498884098?s=19"
You are easily upset if the tweet you linked (which seems to me to be a mild piss take at best) has you triggered. Might want to lighten up a bit there. If some folks from Killoe are pushing their chests out a bit, why shouldn't they. A shambolic mockery of rules application by the CB, a threat of large scale suspension, thrust into national limelight, and a high profile DRA hearing to clear their name and get their own members back playing the games in a time of immense anxiety. If it was my club I'd have my chest out too. Alas in rural Ireland that is often met with widespread begrudgery. If you fail, ah well, if you succeed, keep it down so you don't get uppity! Any wonder we under-perform as a county if folks are triggered by harmless tweets. Fierce snowflake stuff altogether.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 18/09/2020 12:11:28    2292873

Link

Replying To Longfordbaz:  "I have read comments here regarding the killoe mostrim game which are both ludicrous and astonishing in equal measure. For anyone to think that they would go out in a game they did not need win, risk injuries which they obtained, and play all their front line players is absolutely ridiculous..not to mention the fact that they actually won the game..

Secondly I read comments regarding killoe supporters arrogance on social media. I.myself am from killoe. Anyone who reads my posts know how I crave our county team to do well. Therefore I want to see all players in all clubs playing to the best of their ability which in turn, enhances the county team.

I have been on fb and read comments about the game with mostrim. I have not seen any arrogant, condescending or triumphant ism...if you could forward these comments or state them here, I would be the first to acknowledge that they were as you say and would waste no time in telling said supporters to cop on.

People forget that killoe did not appear in a county final between 1995 and 2012. A conscious decision was made within the parish in the late nineties to concentrate and develop the underage structure. This included massive effort within the parish and the national school. Master Harte will never be forgotten for his influence in this regard.

This developments included massive fundraising for school development along with improvements at clonee as well. All of this was done by parishioners. The school players were nurtured within the school system and developed on the schoolboy pitches in clonee. All this was done by the people, teachers and club persons from the parish. We are seeing the fruits of that labour now. If killoe parish can look at themselves and do what they did, then anyone can.

The people I associate with from killoe take nothing for granted. The vast majority were cheering on our rivals mullinalaghta in leinster 2 yrs ago. I myself support all our county champions in leinster. I have gone in the past supporting drumlish dromard slashers abbeylara etc. As I say most of us know how luck we are and also that nothing lasts forever."
Well said. Many other clubs can relate exactly to the feast and famine experience and the solid graft needed to build back up to success. There are some in the county with a lug on them over certain clubs winning, and some of those cranks are on this forum. They should be ignored and left to howl at the moon because they contribute nothing to the football story of Longford other than begrudgery. We all succeed when our clubs are strong, and no club stays on top forever.

Should be Killoe and Abbey coming out of this weekend.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 18/09/2020 12:15:19    2292875

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "You are easily upset if the tweet you linked (which seems to me to be a mild piss take at best) has you triggered. Might want to lighten up a bit there. If some folks from Killoe are pushing their chests out a bit, why shouldn't they. A shambolic mockery of rules application by the CB, a threat of large scale suspension, thrust into national limelight, and a high profile DRA hearing to clear their name and get their own members back playing the games in a time of immense anxiety. If it was my club I'd have my chest out too. Alas in rural Ireland that is often met with widespread begrudgery. If you fail, ah well, if you succeed, keep it down so you don't get uppity! Any wonder we under-perform as a county if folks are triggered by harmless tweets. Fierce snowflake stuff altogether."
Where exactly did you get that I am 'triggered' from that post??? I was simply sharing the link to what Slasher9 referred to. How exactly would that mean I am 'triggered'??

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 896 - 20/09/2020 08:40:25    2293127

Link

The penalty given against Killoe....how can a ref, linesmen and umpires not know the rules of the game. The players on obviously knew the rule but not the officials.

catchturnscore (Longford) - Posts: 116 - 20/09/2020 14:24:09    2293181

Link

Good win for Mostrim against abbey, with Killoe having injury problems could be interesting. See the hurlers have sent out a statement. I wonder what'll happen with hurling final now

Longfordpat (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 20/09/2020 18:11:21    2293223

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "come off it lads. im not saying clonguish deserve to go through, thats not the point here. the point is killoe purposely stopped playing in the last quarter, in order to "get back" at the club they thought were responsible for getting them banned. clear as day folks. killoe let themselves down badly and the comments on social media from some of there supporters afterwards showed that.
Killoe and abbeylara will both win the quarters easily"
You are a very knowledgeable man about football with that post

GAAmanj (Longford) - Posts: 3 - 22/09/2020 10:59:38    2293528

Link

Replying To catchturnscore:  "The penalty given against Killoe....how can a ref, linesmen and umpires not know the rules of the game. The players on obviously knew the rule but not the officials."
What was the issue, any foul inside the small rectangle is a penalty??

GAAmanj (Longford) - Posts: 3 - 22/09/2020 11:01:03    2293529

Link

Replying To GAAmanj:  "What was the issue, any foul inside the small rectangle is a penalty??"
A technical foul inside the small square is a penalty. However, I thought ref didn't give the goalie who was on the ground much time to try to get up or play the ball.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 3869 - 22/09/2020 11:17:37    2293533

Link

I see the hurling final not getting played now tomorrow. Do slashers turn up and get the silverware? On a side note I see minor final with Mostrim Saturday and seniors out Sunday. Is that effecting any of their players?

Longfordpat (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 22/09/2020 21:42:26    2293642

Link

Replying To Longfordpat:  "I see the hurling final not getting played now tomorrow. Do slashers turn up and get the silverware? On a side note I see minor final with Mostrim Saturday and seniors out Sunday. Is that effecting any of their players?"
Presumably Slashers are entitled to claim the title or will they offer to play ANOTHER refixture? Either way it makes a joke of hurling in the county :(

Mostrim do indeed have a minor on the senior team. I suppose you have Slashers & Mostrim both involved in senior semifinals, minor & hurling finals...

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 3869 - 23/09/2020 12:34:29    2293744

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Presumably Slashers are entitled to claim the title or will they offer to play ANOTHER refixture? Either way it makes a joke of hurling in the county :(

Mostrim do indeed have a minor on the senior team. I suppose you have Slashers & Mostrim both involved in senior semifinals, minor & hurling finals..."
It will surely be rescheduled as it was ludicrous to try and fix it for mid week under lights, I'm sure both teams would like it to be in the county grounds at a weekend, during daylight hours. Was it just the wolfe tone hurlers that didn't want to play, was slashers looking for the game to go ahead??

GAAmanj (Longford) - Posts: 3 - 23/09/2020 14:20:01    2293767

Link

Replying To GAAmanj:  "It will surely be rescheduled as it was ludicrous to try and fix it for mid week under lights, I'm sure both teams would like it to be in the county grounds at a weekend, during daylight hours. Was it just the wolfe tone hurlers that didn't want to play, was slashers looking for the game to go ahead??"
This has spilled over from the Killoe dispute. Mostrim were scheduled to play the Abbey quarterfinal last Wednesday under lights but objected against it & were backed by their hurlers. This subsequently caused the Hurling Final scheduled for Sunday to be moved (against the wishes of Slashers) as it would have to be postponed by 3 weeks unless it was played midweek. It was then refixed last Wednesday night for tonight in Newtownforbes under lights.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 3869 - 23/09/2020 14:42:05    2293770

Link

Predictions for the weekend?

On Saturday Ardagh Moydow should win the Intermediate, Slashers the Minor.
On Sunday Mullinalaghta should beat Slashers and Killoe will sneak past Mostrim in a close game.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 24/09/2020 10:57:40    2293880

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Predictions for the weekend?

On Saturday Ardagh Moydow should win the Intermediate, Slashers the Minor.
On Sunday Mullinalaghta should beat Slashers and Killoe will sneak past Mostrim in a close game."
Slashers will beat Mullinalaghta and Killoe will get over the line by 5 at least. Repeat off last years final

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 101 - 24/09/2020 15:57:37    2293930

Link

I think it's fair to say no one left has been overly impressive in the championship so far. If Killoe leave Mostrim in the game they may well get caught with a sucker punch. Slashers V Mullinalaghta is 50/50.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 3869 - 24/09/2020 16:52:20    2293940

Link

Dont see the form line for Slashers to beat Mull when they got it tight to overcome a very poor fr manning gaels side.

theDagger1986 (Cavan) - Posts: 178 - 25/09/2020 16:52:29    2294073

Link

I think Mullinalaghta will improve to beat Slashers in a tight match but you'd never know.
Mostrim played lovely football last week and will give Killoe lots of it but unlikely to overturn the holders if it's played.
I think the intermediate final could be the game of the weekend. Ardagh moydow only slight favourite imo.

jack99 (Dublin) - Posts: 16 - 25/09/2020 18:58:10    2294096

Link

There are game(s) off at the weekend, with covid outbreaks affecting some clubs. Another headache for the CB.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 25/09/2020 20:52:30    2294111

Link

I wish the Killoe players a speedy recovery.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 25/09/2020 21:45:33    2294120

Link