Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Footballers 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mickcunningham:  "Even the dogs on the street know that the reason the game is not i. Cusack Park is that sky are calling the shots. They dictate where and when games will be played. It was very right of John heslun to speak up about safety issues. I see Dessie Dolan disagrees but then he's a well paid GAApundit and there's no money in public health"
They had to back down when Kildare stood up to them though- why can't we do the same. As for Dolan he has certainly tasted the soup and said I like this no. He is an unbelievable cheerleader for Dublin- calling them by first name on commentary- embarrassing stuff. Plus he offers zero insight anyway, wouldn't be fit to lace Heslins boots in fairness.

Cribbiescubs (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 16/10/2020 14:05:09    2298069

Link

It's obvious why . Westmeath would be receiving a Quite large amount of money By either sky sports or croke park. Westmeath county board couldn't care where the game is once their getting money for it !! And the more money they receive in there eyes the better

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 56 - 16/10/2020 14:31:45    2298078

Link

Replying To Cribbiescubs:  "They had to back down when Kildare stood up to them though- why can't we do the same. As for Dolan he has certainly tasted the soup and said I like this no. He is an unbelievable cheerleader for Dublin- calling them by first name on commentary- embarrassing stuff. Plus he offers zero insight anyway, wouldn't be fit to lace Heslins boots in fairness."
"Wouldn't be fit to lace Heslins boots"
Dolan's commentary may not be the best but by god he's the best footballer to have ever played for Westmeath don't put him into the same sentence as Heslin.

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 62 - 16/10/2020 15:26:40    2298101

Link

Replying To Temple56:  ""Wouldn't be fit to lace Heslins boots"
Dolan's commentary may not be the best but by god he's the best footballer to have ever played for Westmeath don't put him into the same sentence as Heslin."
I disagree. He filled the togs that day against Meath when we had the chance to beat them. Heslin doesn't do a dirt like that.

Cribbiescubs (Westmeath) - Posts: 21 - 16/10/2020 15:36:09    2298106

Link

Replying To Temple56:  ""Wouldn't be fit to lace Heslins boots"
Dolan's commentary may not be the best but by god he's the best footballer to have ever played for Westmeath don't put him into the same sentence as Heslin."
i have to agree dessie was our best ever . of course my tyrrellspass bias would say that flan would be up there

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1234 - 16/10/2020 17:44:11    2298146

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i have to agree dessie was our best ever . of course my tyrrellspass bias would say that flan would be up there"
Team to face Laois tommorrow
1. Jason Daly
2. Jack smith
3. Ronan wallace
4. Boidu sayeh
5.james Dolan
6. Kevin McGuire
7. Jamie gounoud
8. Ray connellan
9. Sam Duncan
10. Luke loughlin
11. Ronan O'Toole
12. Paddy Holloway
13 lorcan Dolan
14. John heslin
15. Kieran Martin
Looks like Holloway and Martin are going to be dropping back to help out defence.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 56 - 16/10/2020 18:31:52    2298154

Link

Replying To Cribbiescubs:  "I disagree. He filled the togs that day against Meath when we had the chance to beat them. Heslin doesn't do a dirt like that."
Disgraceful comment. Dessie gave great service to club and county over a long period and his career shouldn't be defined by one mistake. Heslin is a great player too but like all top playershe also makes mistakes. Westmeath are lucky to have had these two players, along with some other greats, and people can argue all day as to who was the best but there's no need for cheap smart-ass insults.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 199 - 16/10/2020 19:18:35    2298166

Link

Nice to see Lorcan Dolan getting a start.
Playing very static defence football if Holloway and Martin are dropping back what damage will there players do it. A lot of similar players on the bench which don't add much only get Egan who would obviously start and gardiner.
Playing Laois play 6 scoring forwards to hell.

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 9 - 16/10/2020 19:39:51    2298173

Link

Replying To Cribbiescubs:  "I disagree. He filled the togs that day against Meath when we had the chance to beat them. Heslin doesn't do a dirt like that."
If you still hold against him you are a very sad individual.
Dessie Dolan is by far the best footballer to play for Westmeath:

1x All star

With Garrycastle
1 x Leinster Senior Club Football Championship
8 x Westmeath Senior Football Championship
8 x Westmeath Division 1 Leagues

With Westmeath
1x Leinster Senior Football Championship
3 x National Football League, Division 2
1 x All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championship
2 x Leinster Under-21 Football Championship

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 62 - 16/10/2020 20:09:23    2298182

Link

Replying To PowellJohn:  "Nice to see Lorcan Dolan getting a start.
Playing very static defence football if Holloway and Martin are dropping back what damage will there players do it. A lot of similar players on the bench which don't add much only get Egan who would obviously start and gardiner.
Playing Laois play 6 scoring forwards to hell."
I have a feeling Lorcan might not start. I'd Ger Egan will start and come out around the middle and leave Heslin and Loughlin inside

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 62 - 16/10/2020 20:10:46    2298183

Link

No coroon ,haligan or McDaniels on the panel. Are they injured or dropped ?

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 104 - 17/10/2020 02:20:42    2298267

Link

Very disheartened that our county board isn't fighting hard for this game to be in Mullingar. If it is an issue with floodlights then we have other grounds available.

hairylegs (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 17/10/2020 09:45:23    2298282

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "No coroon ,haligan or McDaniels on the panel. Are they injured or dropped ?"
I don't know, but I'm guessing that Corroon could be injured. He was quite clearly playing with an injury in the club championship.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 268 - 17/10/2020 10:24:07    2298291

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "No coroon ,haligan or McDaniels on the panel. Are they injured or dropped ?"
Corroon is injured and is going to be out for quite a while I hear. Halligan dropped himself off the panel earlier in the year just before Covid so not sure if he was asked back in. Not sure about Mcdanieis

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 56 - 17/10/2020 12:53:58    2298349

Link

Great win for the lads today, 1-18 is a serious score to put up with lots of chances missed too. I was delighted to see young Brandon kelly come on and get a score, disappointed not to see Gardiner get on, but the forwards did their jobs today in fairness to them. I thought the defence were solid enough, a bit shaky at times. Serious credit to Jason Daly in goals who was solid between the sticks

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 17/10/2020 18:53:00    2298469

Link

Great win for sure but Laois surprisingly very poor. Five changes from the WH team that started v Roscommon in March. Great to see Gonoud and Holloway back. Daly, Heslin and O'Toole continuing their super club form. Didn't get to see all of it but did Maguire play at FB and Wallace at CHB ? Heslin seemed to be roaming. Ger Egan held back to help injury recovery I assume. As already mentioned, would liked to have seen Gardiner get a run but good to see young Kelly come and get a nice point. No scores for Loughlin but lots or running and well involved.
Great to be still in contention for promotion going into the final round. Ros are as good as there so a 3 horse race with Armagh (away to Clare) and Cavan (away to Kildare tomorrow and then home to Ros).
Not a bad day with wins in camogie and minor hurling.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 689 - 17/10/2020 22:26:16    2298579

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Great win for sure but Laois surprisingly very poor. Five changes from the WH team that started v Roscommon in March. Great to see Gonoud and Holloway back. Daly, Heslin and O'Toole continuing their super club form. Didn't get to see all of it but did Maguire play at FB and Wallace at CHB ? Heslin seemed to be roaming. Ger Egan held back to help injury recovery I assume. As already mentioned, would liked to have seen Gardiner get a run but good to see young Kelly come and get a nice point. No scores for Loughlin but lots or running and well involved.
Great to be still in contention for promotion going into the final round. Ros are as good as there so a 3 horse race with Armagh (away to Clare) and Cavan (away to Kildare tomorrow and then home to Ros).
Not a bad day with wins in camogie and minor hurling."
A super day for Westmeath. The critics of Iarmhi TV should get on to the GAA about the totally inferior product they produced yesterday especially in the first half. I though our Lads were far hungrier than Laois and all fifteen starters made a contribution. The smart ass slagging off Dessie is one sad case. Dolans contribution to Westmeath has been magnificent. The Camogie girls are amazing what a win in Limerick.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 806 - 18/10/2020 06:58:52    2298630

Link