Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can someone explain the league format to me? Is there two groups in Division one?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 08/04/2021 20:53:02    2336463

Link

Can someone clarify the league format please- is there a split groupings?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 08/04/2021 21:07:43    2336467

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Can someone clarify the league format please- is there a split groupings?"
The 4 divisions are split into 2 horse in our group theyre are Kerry Galway Roscommon and dubs.

In the other group you have Tyrone Monaghan Donegal and Armagh.

I think the top teams from each group play in the final and the bottom 2 teams in each group play off with the losers going down.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 08/04/2021 21:49:42    2336480

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Can someone explain the league format to me? Is there two groups in Division one?"
Yeah two groups based on geographical location Horse. So it seems its us, the Dubs, the Rossies and Galway and the other group is Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal and Monaghan.

I made a mistake in my last post, its only 3 weekends and then a break of a week before the semis and then final.

Seems the top two in each play in the semi's - I presume the top team in Group 1 v second team in Group 2.

Then the final two standing are the final.

I assume for us it will be two home and one away game seeing as we played Dublin away last year, Galway at home and in 2019 I was up in the Hyde the last time the Rossies were in Division 1.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 08/04/2021 21:57:47    2336482

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Yeah two groups based on geographical location Horse. So it seems its us, the Dubs, the Rossies and Galway and the other group is Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal and Monaghan.

I made a mistake in my last post, its only 3 weekends and then a break of a week before the semis and then final.

Seems the top two in each play in the semi's - I presume the top team in Group 1 v second team in Group 2.

I assume for us it will be two home and one away game seeing as we played Dublin away last year, Galway at home and in 2019 I was up in the Hyde the last time the Rossies were in Division 1."
Ya we should have more home games this year the hermit considering we had 4 away games last year. We had Tyrone dubs Mayo and Monaghan away. Feels like 10 years since the Mayo game.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 08/04/2021 22:39:40    2336496

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Agree with what you say , ref rules being broken and sanctions need to be handed out
However my post was not for you ? This is the nonsense i was talking about

It just underlines what's happened over the last decade, this truly is 'D-GAA' now, one rule for the almighty Dubs and to hell with the rest!""
so let me tell you again Dougal, this is the Kerry forum :-/

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 08/04/2021 22:47:37    2336498

Link

I think only one team relegated this year which is unfair on the teams trying to come up.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 08/04/2021 23:16:43    2336504

Link

Thanks lads, i was a bit confused... that is straight explaining....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 08/04/2021 23:21:06    2336505

Link

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40261745.html

So as a further 'punishment' Dublin will play their only home game in the League in Portlaoise, wow - devastating!

However what I don't understand is that this previously home match is against Kerry, are we not owed a home game against them seeing as we played them in Croke Park last January?? Why have the GAA not allowed the usual home one year, away the next year system?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 09/04/2021 09:02:41    2336521

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40261745.html

So as a further 'punishment' Dublin will play their only home game in the League in Portlaoise, wow - devastating!

However what I don't understand is that this previously home match is against Kerry, are we not owed a home game against them seeing as we played them in Croke Park last January?? Why have the GAA not allowed the usual home one year, away the next year system?"
Ya originally we were away to Galway and home to Dublin and Roscommon.

Still there are no official fixtures yet yes?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 09/04/2021 11:23:58    2336558

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I think only one team relegated this year which is unfair on the teams trying to come up."
Jaysus Mick, don't be complaining. I can see Kerry finishing second last, but knowing yer luck, it'd be the year when only one team went down. So, ye'll avoid the drop! Watch this space...!

Btw, when was Kerry last outside of the top division? A long time ago, I'd reckon.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 09/04/2021 11:34:16    2336564

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Yeah two groups based on geographical location Horse. So it seems its us, the Dubs, the Rossies and Galway and the other group is Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal and Monaghan.

I assume for us it will be two home and one away game seeing as we played Dublin away last year, Galway at home and in 2019 I was up in the Hyde the last time the Rossies were in Division 1."
No Semi.... The top 2 team for either side will play the national league final, provided neither of the two teams in the final aren't out in Championship the following week. If that happens both teams declared Winners.....I don't even want to think how they are going to relegate a team if there is no playoff

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 09/04/2021 11:38:03    2336565

Link

When they initially announced the league fixtures however many months ago we had 2 home games 1 definitely against Dublin and I'm not sure was the other against Galway or Roscommon. It makes no sense to me why that has changed now?

All going very well we'll have 10 games in 20 weeks which is a good ratio for the panel although I thought there would be much less rest weeks. 10 seems a lot.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 09/04/2021 11:47:11    2336569

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40261745.html

However what I don't understand is that this previously home match is against Kerry, are we not owed a home game against them seeing as we played them in Croke Park last January?? Why have the GAA not allowed the usual home one year, away the next year system?"
It's not too often that'd I'd be inclined to agree with the Hermit, but if fair is fair, that game should be played in Connolly Park.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 09/04/2021 11:52:49    2336570

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "No Semi.... The top 2 team for either side will play the national league final, provided neither of the two teams in the final aren't out in Championship the following week. If that happens both teams declared Winners.....I don't even want to think how they are going to relegate a team if there is no playoff"
Apologies I am wrong .

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 09/04/2021 11:57:00    2336574

Link

What? That's an awful load of b******s, we were supposed to be at home against the dubs sure we played them away last year and they ripped the Jersey off Clifford at the end of the game.

So let me get this straight the dubs break the rules and we get punished? Is that it?

And why is it in portlaoise its only an hour from dublin and 2.5 hours from kerry, it should be in limerick at least, Tim Murphy should stand up for his county and not accept this **** from HQ/dubs.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 09/04/2021 12:17:09    2336580

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Apologies I am wrong ."
There is semi's isn't there? The Master sheet has them marked in to be played the weekend before the final on 12-13 June.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 09/04/2021 12:52:27    2336590

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "There is semi's isn't there? The Master sheet has them marked in to be played the weekend before the final on 12-13 June."
Ya there is and also relegation playoffs. 2 teams are relegated. Bottom in one group plays second bottom in the other group and vice versa so 2 teams are relegated as normal.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 09/04/2021 14:23:06    2336597

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya there is and also relegation playoffs. 2 teams are relegated. Bottom in one group plays second bottom in the other group and vice versa so 2 teams are relegated as normal."
So basically every team will either have a semi-final or a relegation play-off?

Its so hard to know what the form will be like given the past 12 months. Kerry could as easily top the group as finish bottom of it. On paper you would say they are stronger than anyone bar Dublin in the League but in practice Galway and Roscommon could be quiet capable of beating them.

I really hope come next week when training resumes we get a good sense of what the panel is and who is in and out.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 09/04/2021 15:00:47    2336602

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya there is and also relegation playoffs. 2 teams are relegated. Bottom in one group plays second bottom in the other group and vice versa so 2 teams are relegated as normal."
Kerry 15 why has our home game against the dubs been moved to Portlaoise do you know?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 09/04/2021 15:20:34    2336606

Link