Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Oh Pat picked a team on the Sunday world that would he claims beat the dubs. I did nt see it but Niall Morgan is in goals and Clifford is on it obviously. Pat is away with the fairies though. He forgets what he writes a few months previously
It's only last October he picked Kerry to beat Dublin. Pat makes wild statements. A great player in his day
A laughable pundit."
Mick I dont always agree with pat and I haven't seen that team he picked in the Sunday world but I do agree that it would take a combination of teams to beat the dublin province at this stage,

As for Pat picking kerry at the start of a season to beat dubs sure we'll all pick our own teams even me but then you see the blue behemoth absolutely steamroll all before them in their own backyard.

Honestly I liken Kerry Donegal Galway Mayo Tyrone and Monaghan going to crokepark to play the blue juggernaut as a kin to the Christians going to the colosseum for the slaughter.

The sport is gone out of football now.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12391 - 25/01/2021 19:39:49    2328923

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Shite talk filling idle gaa columns.

I see on the Kerry Radio Fab page that the Kerry captain is being announced today. I had assumed DC would be mn maintaining the mantle.

Sure who else is there, Ryan, Murphy Sherwood and the two Cliffords. Ok Buckley Moynihan and Kearney are also on the panel but realistically it's either Murphy, Jack or DC.... personally I'd have no issue with DC continuing."
Rathmore's Paul Murphy named as Kerry's captain

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2831 - 25/01/2021 20:53:46    2328931

Link

I see on the Kerry Radio Fab page that the Kerry captain is being announced today. I had assumed DC would be mn maintaining the mantle.

Sure who else is there, Ryan, Murphy Sherwood and the two Cliffords. Ok Buckley Moynihan and Kearney are also on the panel but realistically it's either Murphy, Jack or DC.... personally I'd have no issue with DC continuing."
Paul Murphy has be named Kerry captain for 2021, I'm surprised they didn't leave it with Clifford.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12391 - 25/01/2021 21:05:52    2328935

Link

Paul Murphy, it is. Good man for the job. Think it's a good thing to relieve Clifford of it.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 149 - 25/01/2021 21:06:06    2328936

Link

Well I've good news Horsebox. Paul Murphy is new Kerry captain and I personally think its a great choice.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1438 - 25/01/2021 21:13:51    2328937

Link

Murphy takes the armband... I suppose we can have no issues with that .... it's a case of take the toss and talk to the press..

Are ye in favour of the ancient tradition of county championship winners choosing the captain, I'm a traditionalist and diehard but truth be told this is one tradition I would happily lob out the window and shut it tight after. It causes so much trouble when divisional sides are involved.

Every other sport, the managers pick the captain .... it's one thing I would be totally opposed.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5068 - 25/01/2021 21:14:29    2328938

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Mick I dont always agree with pat and I haven't seen that team he picked in the Sunday world but I do agree that it would take a combination of teams to beat the dublin province at this stage,

As for Pat picking kerry at the start of a season to beat dubs sure we'll all pick our own teams even me but then you see the blue behemoth absolutely steamroll all before them in their own backyard.

Honestly I liken Kerry Donegal Galway Mayo Tyrone and Monaghan going to crokepark to play the blue juggernaut as a kin to the Christians going to the colosseum for the slaughter.

The sport is gone out of football now."
Well I think Kerry gave the talent to vest Dúin if management up their fame. I also think Tyrone and Donegal have the tools and both will be much stronger this year

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1438 - 25/01/2021 21:15:59    2328939

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Well I've good news Horsebox. Paul Murphy is new Kerry captain and I personally think its a great choice."
Bigger issues than a new captain in Kerry at the moment. Even with Galvin on board where is there light at the end of the tunnel. Denying Dublin their 7 in a row. They have lost Mannion and Mc Auley in the past few weeks but Dublin's hand is not getting weaker.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2831 - 25/01/2021 21:25:03    2328940

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Murphy takes the armband... I suppose we can have no issues with that .... it's a case of take the toss and talk to the press..

Are ye in favour of the ancient tradition of county championship winners choosing the captain, I'm a traditionalist and diehard but truth be told this is one tradition I would happily lob out the window and shut it tight after. It causes so much trouble when divisional sides are involved.

Every other sport, the managers pick the captain .... it's one thing I would be totally opposed."
I agree I think it's gad it's day. It's a cause of trouble sometimes and a captain can be sub which is awkward. In 2001 Moynihan was captain when we beat Cork but for semi v meath Eoin Brosnan was captain. Word was at the time it caused unrest. Don't know the truth but we got hammered by Meath anyway and the majestic Maurice made his last county appearance.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1438 - 25/01/2021 21:29:53    2328941

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Murphy takes the armband... I suppose we can have no issues with that .... it's a case of take the toss and talk to the press..

Every other sport, the managers pick the captain .... it's one thing I would be totally opposed."
Ah it's a great honor horse, I remember our minors won the county championship in 2014, Barry Dan was our captain that day and I remember him wishing Mark O'Connor well as kerry captain for 2015, it gave me and all Dinglers great pride to see Mark climb the hogan steps and lift the Tom Markham cup, I was lucky to be in Croker that day for the minors even though I got soaked and our seniors lost to dublin.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12391 - 25/01/2021 22:03:44    2328945

Link

Replying To Jack L:  "N Morgan (Tyr),
O Mullin (May), P. Durcan (May), E Ban Gallagher (Done),
E McLoughlin (May), D. Keoghan (Meat), G. white (Kerr),
I Maguire 9Cor), O McNiallais (Done),
S Walsh (Galw), C. McKenna (Tyr), M. Donnelly (Tyr),
P. McBrearty (Done), M. Murphy (Done), D. Clifford (Kerr)

Subs
S. Patten (Done), P. Mogan (Done), S. Powter (Cork), T. McCann (Tyr), K O Connell (Mone), R. McHugh(Done), P. Faulkner (Cav). T. Galligan (Cav), C. O Connor (May), C McManus (Mone), M. Langan (Done), S. McShane (Tyr), S. O Shea (Kerry)

Joint Managers
P Spillane & M O Dwyer (both Kerry)"
Bad selection by him. I'd go:

Beggan
McMenamin Morley TO'Sullivan
Durcan IainCorbett McHugh
GBrennan JOgBurns
SWalsh SO'Shea McKenna
Clifford Murphy McManus

Now that's a team.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 644 - 25/01/2021 22:45:07    2328952

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I agree I think it's gad it's day. It's a cause of trouble sometimes and a captain can be sub which is awkward. In 2001 Moynihan was captain when we beat Cork but for semi v meath Eoin Brosnan was captain. Word was at the time it caused unrest. Don't know the truth but we got hammered by Meath anyway and the majestic Maurice made his last county appearance."
Don't forget 1975 All Ireland final. Mickey bed captain and because he was injured Pat Spillane had to lift the Cup and give the speech. That didn't go down well....

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 107 - 26/01/2021 09:28:33    2328971

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Bad selection by him. I'd go:

Beggan
GBrennan JOgBurns
SWalsh SO'Shea McKenna
Clifford Murphy McManus

Now that's a team."
Yes that's a much better team than Spillane s.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1438 - 26/01/2021 10:15:55    2328975

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Bad selection by him. I'd go:

Beggan
GBrennan JOgBurns
SWalsh SO'Shea McKenna
Clifford Murphy McManus

Now that's a team."
That's an excellent team and would beat the dubs in a neutral venue or maybe even Croke park.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12391 - 26/01/2021 11:08:26    2328980

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "That's an excellent team and would beat the dubs in a neutral venue or maybe even Croke park."
Yes, it is a more suitable team that Spillane's. He mainly went for speed merchants. Anyway, either team would need 3-6 months hard training to beat the six-in-a-rowers, either in CP or elsewhere. A good team is far more than just 15 names on a piece of paper.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 149 - 26/01/2021 14:11:54    2329013

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Yes, it is a more suitable team that Spillane's. He mainly went for speed merchants. Anyway, either team would need 3-6 months hard training to beat the six-in-a-rowers, either in CP or elsewhere. A good team is far more than just 15 names on a piece of paper."
I agree, they'd need some training together for sure.

Does any1 else think Michael Murphy wasn't at his brilliant best in 2020? He has a lot of miles on the clock now as well of course.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12391 - 26/01/2021 15:02:37    2329022

Link

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with our tradition of the county champions picking the captain.

Every successful Kerry team had leaders all over the pitch so the idea of it just being the burden of one player because he's designated the captain is a bit of a fallacy.

And there's been plenty of times down through the years where the nominated captains have been left on the bench so I don't think it really puts any pressure on the manager to have to pick a player just because he is the captain. We saw that in the 15 final though in my opinion that was a massive mistake by Fitz and Donaghy should have been given the honour of leading his county out on the big day.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5971 - 26/01/2021 15:46:57    2329031

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I agree, they'd need some training together for sure.

Does any1 else think Michael Murphy wasn't at his brilliant best in 2020? He has a lot of miles on the clock now as well of course."
Ah he was nt at his best but the Cavan game was a funny one. I'm sure if championship goes ahead this year Murphy will be fine. On a team to beat Dubs yes Forever is correct saying they D need plenty of training. The best 15 players in the country won't win Sam. You need horses for courses and being used to playing beside one another. You won't win an all ireland with 15 Brian Fenton or 15 David Clifford's. You need your Kilkennys and Paul Murphys and Paddy Durcans too.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1438 - 26/01/2021 15:49:13    2329034

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Ah he was nt at his best but the Cavan game was a funny one. I'm sure if championship goes ahead this year Murphy will be fine. On a team to beat Dubs yes Forever is correct saying they D need plenty of training. The best 15 players in the country won't win Sam. You need horses for courses and being used to playing beside one another. You won't win an all ireland with 15 Brian Fenton or 15 David Clifford's. You need your Kilkennys and Paul Murphys and Paddy Durcans too."
Murphy wasn't as good as usual v Tyrone either, I'd say the day of him roaming the field putting out fires are nearly gone, time to station him on the edge of the square with the odd foray out the field if needed..

I remember Kerry teams in past leagues having lots of players that played midfield for their clubs, I think I counted 11 midfielders starting for us 1 day in tralee, can't remember who we played or if we won or lost but I remember thinking it was funny at the time.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12391 - 26/01/2021 17:56:54    2329050

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I don't think there's anything at all wrong with our tradition of the county champions picking the captain.

Every successful Kerry team had leaders all over the pitch so the idea of it just being the burden of one player because he's designated the captain is a bit of a fallacy.

And there's been plenty of times down through the years where the nominated captains have been left on the bench so I don't think it really puts any pressure on the manager to have to pick a player just because he is the captain. We saw that in the 15 final though in my opinion that was a massive mistake by Fitz and Donaghy should have been given the honour of leading his county out on the big day."
Isn't there something about a number 13 never captaining an All Ireland winning team. Gooch failed in 2011. On that note Clifford would have to be listed as 14 or 15 and play in his conventional position. Immaterial now as Murphy nominated as captain

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2831 - 26/01/2021 19:11:26    2329055

Link