Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "All tmw nights county U14 games are off. I'd say our short season will be shortened even more.

Where i understand the conceipt surely county by county should be as per localised outbreaks.

Worrying times"
I suppose the reason those u14 games are off is the county board need to organise how they can police this closed doors thing. But sure you can't, it was fine just Senior games but they can't have people policing at every game at every age. The closed doors is an absolute joke of a decision. I sincerely hope all underage games can continue.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 19/08/2020 00:09:41    2288177

Link

Ya, I agree the inconsistencies in this regard are baffling for me anyway. I see where the gaa have requested clarify and the data responsible for the new restrictions.

Even our own organization, underage gaa Coiste na nÒg have called off tonight's U14 games but the ladies gaa are going ahead as planned. An example, i'm Involved under age and our next game is over an hour away one way, the joys of county league in Kerry, anyway do we honestly expect parents to drive that distance and stay in their car for the duration of the game ... underage games where parents have to be present in the event of injury, there is plenty of room on the sideline.

If supporters social distanced, sanitized on entry and exit then for me I don't see the issue.

The whole county punished for the actions of certain gob******

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 19/08/2020 09:30:16    2288191

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, I agree the inconsistencies in this regard are baffling for me anyway. I see where the gaa have requested clarify and the data responsible for the new restrictions.

Even our own organization, underage gaa Coiste na nÒg have called off tonight's U14 games but the ladies gaa are going ahead as planned. An example, i'm Involved under age and our next game is over an hour away one way, the joys of county league in Kerry, anyway do we honestly expect parents to drive that distance and stay in their car for the duration of the game ... underage games where parents have to be present in the event of injury, there is plenty of room on the sideline.

If supporters social distanced, sanitized on entry and exit then for me I don't see the issue.

The whole county punished for the actions of certain gob******"
That's another thing that bugs me, there's a clip of 30 seconds of stupidity in a Dublin pub and all of a sudden our Toaiseach is coming out referencing that as an excuse.

That's more utter BS. What about properly regulating our meat industry so the people who work there are paid a decent wage and able to afford a decent place to rent and are covered in case of illness?!!!

It's just typical, playing to a gallery and not a word about the real failures going on that have caused these clusters in the midlands.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 19/08/2020 09:53:23    2288196

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "That's another thing that bugs me, there's a clip of 30 seconds of stupidity in a Dublin pub and all of a sudden our Toaiseach is coming out referencing that as an excuse.

That's more utter BS. What about properly regulating our meat industry so the people who work there are paid a decent wage and able to afford a decent place to rent and are covered in case of illness?!!!

It's just typical, playing to a gallery and not a word about the real failures going on that have caused these clusters in the midlands."
Lads I met 4 elderly American tourists out on a walk yesterday and they were asking me about the locality so after a few minutes of small talk I asked where did they self isolate for the 14 days thinking they'd say a hotel in dublin and they told me they had no time for that, that they were only over here for 2 weeks.

So where are we going?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11739 - 19/08/2020 11:18:46    2288223

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Lads I met 4 elderly American tourists out on a walk yesterday and they were asking me about the locality so after a few minutes of small talk I asked where did they self isolate for the 14 days thinking they'd say a hotel in dublin and they told me they had no time for that, that they were only over here for 2 weeks.

So where are we going?"
Agreed, you can't go watch your child play an underage game that might have 20 parents at it, but there's no problem having a flight of yanks coming in from Texas or Florida every day.

Do the people in charge really think tourists will come over here and spend 14 days isolating first? And where is the enforcement or penalties for that???

This is what is driving people mad and the longer this goes on the anger will only grow.

Why can't they just come out and be honest and frank about their decisions, ie well we can't not let the Facebook and Google fellas in and out of Ireland because that would be a disaster and if the price of that is tourists coming over too well that's just the way it is.

Be honest like!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 19/08/2020 13:58:40    2288248

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Agreed, you can't go watch your child play an underage game that might have 20 parents at it, but there's no problem having a flight of yanks coming in from Texas or Florida every day.

Do the people in charge really think tourists will come over here and spend 14 days isolating first? And where is the enforcement or penalties for that???

This is what is driving people mad and the longer this goes on the anger will only grow.

Why can't they just come out and be honest and frank about their decisions, ie well we can't not let the Facebook and Google fellas in and out of Ireland because that would be a disaster and if the price of that is tourists coming over too well that's just the way it is.

Be honest like!"
100% the hermit it's a total joke and waste of time, like I said a few weeks ago you can't be half in and half out of the bed, the majority of us are doing our bit and it's like getting smacked in the face.

IV had no benifit from this Covid iv had no time off or received any Covid payment, it really hasn't affected me only that I couldn't go abroad for my hols or go to matches or the pub.

Have the aussies found a vaccine? I hope so coz this is starting to wear thin now.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11739 - 19/08/2020 14:32:52    2288259

Link

God knows where it will all end up but the point of decision is hurtling down the tracks fast.

Can any society realistically survive and function long term if it means social distancing, limited numbers, no sports or entertainment events, no travel, working exclusively from home, remote learning and education etc etc are all maintained.

You feel that come next summer if there's no vaccine in sight and we're still shuffling in and out of restrictions there might be a major swing towards what the Brits attempted at the start, the herd immunity strategy.

What else is the alternative in lieu of a vaccine?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 19/08/2020 16:01:17    2288285

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "God knows where it will all end up but the point of decision is hurtling down the tracks fast.

Can any society realistically survive and function long term if it means social distancing, limited numbers, no sports or entertainment events, no travel, working exclusively from home, remote learning and education etc etc are all maintained.

You feel that come next summer if there's no vaccine in sight and we're still shuffling in and out of restrictions there might be a major swing towards what the Brits attempted at the start, the herd immunity strategy.

What else is the alternative in lieu of a vaccine?"
Will we last till next summer the hermit? Can the gaa sustain their business that long without income? I'd say the government will bail them out anyway before it would come to hard end but still it's gona bé tough, I'd be of the thinking that we have to get on with life, take our precautions as much as we can but just get on with it.

If this happened 20 years ago I'd have cracked up, there is no way I could have been as docile as the young 1s today.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11739 - 19/08/2020 16:55:05    2288297

Link

Christ Micheàl is a fair fresh and lucid man for 90.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 04/09/2020 23:36:29    2290626

Link

Hermit, the following teams were drawn against each other tonight for the NK Quarter Finals - all Natural Venue's
Beale v Knocknagoshel
Duagh v Brosna
Asdee v Ballydonoghue
Ballyduff v Castleisland Desmonds

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 13/09/2020 21:22:06    2291898

Link

Interesting article by John Fogarty in today's examiner about the finances of the Gaa, projected costs and cuts all counties can expect.

It might level the playing field a bit

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 14/09/2020 10:05:28    2291955

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Interesting article by John Fogarty in today's examiner about the finances of the Gaa, projected costs and cuts all counties can expect.

It might level the playing field a bit"
I read it horse and it won't level the playing field, sure dublin will do their own thing and sure they'll save money by not having to travel outside their county for matches.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11739 - 14/09/2020 11:13:47    2291975

Link

Galvin's stepped away from Wexford citing work and travel commitments

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 15/09/2020 22:59:19    2292374

Link

Paul Galvin resigns from WexFord job. Any thoughts? In a manner of fairness I think he should have stayed on till their championship hopes ended

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 631 - 16/09/2020 09:05:13    2292394

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Galvin's stepped away from Wexford citing work and travel commitments"
Yes, saw that - he is a character I have a grà for, blinkered and serious pride and passion - the underdogs gave a brief insight to the sideline capabilities- I think he would be a serious motivator

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 16/09/2020 09:56:52    2292406

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Yes, saw that - he is a character I have a grà for, blinkered and serious pride and passion - the underdogs gave a brief insight to the sideline capabilities- I think he would be a serious motivator"
Maybe a better offer is in the pipeline? He said he's relocated to the West with the family during the lockdown.

Yeah Horse, I have great time for Galvin too. I think he was one of the finest players to ever don a Kerry jersey (and considering he is a Lixnaw man you know how hard it would usually be for me to complement that crowd ;D )

I'll still maintain it was ridiculous how he was made the fall guy for the damp squib that was our performance in the 15 final. He came on and played well, it was outrageous to see pointing the finger at him for the management's failing that dour, wet day.

As you said the pride, passion and intensity he had was what distinguished him most on the field and off it, if channeled correctly, it could make for a fine career on the sideline.

Like yourself, I watched when they brought back the Underdogs and he was the best thing about it by a country mile. I hope he turns up on the line for some team that has lacked success but has potential talent.

I'm thinking of a Roscommon or something. Could he even turn up in the likes of Clare, what irony that would be given the circus that was the summer of 2008!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 16/09/2020 10:30:10    2292423

Link

Oh agreed he was a great warrior on the field but sometimes I got the feeling it was all about him. I was talking to a Finuge man recently who said he was unreliable with the club. I just think he should ve stayed with We Ford till their championship campaign was over which with no back door won't be long I would think. Maybe I'm being hard on him as he has family now but that just my opinion.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 631 - 16/09/2020 14:05:22    2292481

Link

Galvin was a great Kerry warrior in fairness to him, it's a pity he packed in the wexford job coz it sounded like he was gona stir them up a bit.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11739 - 16/09/2020 14:15:16    2292484

Link

Ah Hermit ;  he was the best thing about it by a country mile...

Ah I would found stop, do you not remember Valarie Mulcahy was on it.....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 16/09/2020 15:58:41    2292519

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Galvin was a great Kerry warrior in fairness to him, it's a pity he packed in the wexford job coz it sounded like he was gona stir them up a bit."
Any idea why he packed it in? Didn't seem to be smooth sailing looking at it from the outside? Few players seem to have left etc

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 17/09/2020 13:32:14    2292682

Link