Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Could be parochial loyalty too, Tommy would be a club mate of Paul and some fail to recognise that Tommy has trained a three in a row minor team, dealing with eighteen year olds with different muscle tones with some still developing, Minor training plans are a lot harder to assemble and undertake than seniors.

I'd have no fear of Tommy taking the helm in coaching this year.

Personally I think DB is overrated, I trained under buckley on and off for a year. Everyone has their opinions, I respect the man but for me hasn't cut it when it counted."
Horse, I like reading your posts and reckon that you've a very good overview of Gaelic football, especially Kerry stuff. However, I'd say it's the bones of 20 years or even longer since you trained under DB. I suspect that he has upped and honed certain aspects of his coaching, especially as regards defensive mechanisms, in that length of time.

Kerry will motor on fine without Buckley. Nonetheless, he's still up there as one of the top notch football operators in the game at the moment. Well, imho anyway.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 01/05/2021 18:57:55    2339632

Link

Cest la vie indeed, I mean its definitely not ignorance and certainly not arrogance for a random poster to come on here from nowhere and start throwing insults about, declaring others to be an embarrassment to their county because they are giving an honest opinion on a GAA forum!

And then they see nothing wrong starting on ex-players talking about them being terrible role models!

These lads are very coy about where in Kerry or near Kerry they are meant to be from - but as a genuine North Kerryman let me just say this. We might have fierce rivalry up here, but when some outsider starts having a go they'll see the ranks close fairly quickly.

People of a certain age should know better ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 01/05/2021 18:58:35    2339633

Link

I am a true Kerry supporter who although I don't like losing I don't stoop low and insult the winni g team or their fans. I try not to make excuses either. Also I certainly don't come from nowhere as one bitter poster thinks. I'm also confident I have seen my county win a d lose more all Irelands live than the same poster. I'm also around long enough to know not all people are perfect even Kerrymen. If a player does a nasty thing it's bad no matter what county they from and I'll have no problem calling out anyone. Sometimes the truth hurts and real men are able to face it head on instead of hiding. Oh feck I'm so worried now all of North Kerry is going to gang up on me. Only joking! I'm not that insecure.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 01/05/2021 20:36:55    2339644

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Horse, I like reading your posts and reckon that you've a very good overview of Gaelic football, especially Kerry stuff. However, I'd say it's the bones of 20 years or even longer since you trained under DB. I suspect that he has upped and honed certain aspects of his coaching, especially as regards defensive mechanisms, in that length of time.

Kerry will motor on fine without Buckley. Nonetheless, he's still up there as one of the top notch football operators in the game at the moment. Well, imho anyway."
Yes you are correct in your assumption, it is about 14 years ago, nevertheless I stand by my opinion.

You are also correct that he has enhanced his qualifications and I'm sure he has improved his articulation, which was my personal gripe.

Still in saying all that, i have every faith in Tommy and sure fingers crossed we'll see a step up from last year on our progression.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 01/05/2021 21:03:46    2339650

Link

No some fellas just insult the players that represented Kerry with pride, while bending over backwards to excuse a rival crowd that are destroying the inter county game.

Yerra I'm breaking my new years resolution by wasting time with this sort, so I'll end it there.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 02/05/2021 00:31:42    2339674

Link

Ah some fellas are obsessed with the other crowd.(no guessing who he means).Also this poster claims that someone is insulting Kerry players.Now if it is me he is referring to I think you all can check and see I did nt insult players.I gave an honest opinion on one player (singular) and it is my opinion that that player cost Kerry in a few all Irelands.Also I will admit he won games for Kerry too but some of his beheaviour was disgraceful and I stand over that.Also I don't stand over that sort of carry on from any county.However some have the attitude that"there all wrong bar my Johnny".This poster I refer to seems to be more obseesed with the other crowd than his own county.As a wise man once said "Get your own house in order first".I hope that Kerry can win Sam again soon (hopefully this year)but if they don't I will congratulate the winners with sincerety.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 02/05/2021 10:25:52    2339678

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "No some fellas just insult the players that represented Kerry with pride, while bending over backwards to excuse a rival crowd that are destroying the inter county game.

Yerra I'm breaking my new years resolution by wasting time with this sort, so I'll end it there."
81 Munsters 37 All irelands , and you talk about a rival crowd destroying the inter county game Jesus Wept !

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2727 - 03/05/2021 00:12:58    2339741

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "81 Munsters 37 All irelands , and you talk about a rival crowd destroying the inter county game Jesus Wept !"
Did he? Why? Like the rest of us is he sick to the teeth of the Dubs being handed All-Ireland's because its the most commercially viable option for HQ?? ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 03/05/2021 22:46:45    2339870

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Did he? Why? Like the rest of us is he sick to the teeth of the Dubs being handed All-Ireland's because its the most commercially viable option for HQ?? ;D"
Handed All Irelands ! Oh the bitterness -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2727 - 04/05/2021 07:26:43    2339880

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Handed All Irelands ! Oh the bitterness -:)"
Oh the Dublin delusion ...

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 04/05/2021 09:37:09    2339884

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Oh the Dublin delusion ..."
Oh the Kerry , begrudgery ... -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2727 - 04/05/2021 10:01:07    2339886

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Did he? Why? Like the rest of us is he sick to the teeth of the Dubs being handed All-Ireland's because its the most commercially viable option for HQ?? ;D"
Well if the whole failed European super league has shown up anything over the last few weeks it's that all soccer clubs are being are being run as giant money type milking machines where they prey on people's love and loyalty to their club or in our case county, the gaa are a business 1st and what ever draws more money for them so they can build more hotels in dublin the better for them, it's like a sick game of monopoly.

How many ex gaa presidents have come out and said that a strong dublin is good for the gaa? Well there we go they have their strong dublin now and they have fooled a lot of the rest of the country into thinking they can catch dublin on a bad day. and those people will still flock to the games where their team will be built up and then destroyed all in the name of €€€.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 04/05/2021 11:24:25    2339901

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Well if the whole failed European super league has shown up anything over the last few weeks it's that all soccer clubs are being are being run as giant money type milking machines where they prey on people's love and loyalty to their club or in our case county, the gaa are a business 1st and what ever draws more money for them so they can build more hotels in dublin the better for them, it's like a sick game of monopoly.

How many ex gaa presidents have come out and said that a strong dublin is good for the gaa? Well there we go they have their strong dublin now and they have fooled a lot of the rest of the country into thinking they can catch dublin on a bad day. and those people will still flock to the games where their team will be built up and then destroyed all in the name of €€€."
Well then, if you believe all that you've said, simply vote with your pocket. Don't be fooled into spending your €€€ to see your team being destroyed. Just stay at home and watch the game on TV. That'll fix things for you. And for Croke Park, too!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 05/05/2021 08:12:10    2340040

Link

Great news that the inter county minor and u20 panels can fully resume training and play games from the start of June. Last years minors have a very good chance as always of winning it again. They're a good side, a couple of very good players but also well balanced. I'm really looking forward to seeing the 20s under Declan. I'm hopeful this could be our year. They'll be able to choose a serious starting 15, with a strong bench as well. Any thoughts on the u20s lads, who ye think will be involved player wise?

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 05/05/2021 20:37:51    2340167

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Well then, if you believe all that you've said, simply vote with your pocket. Don't be fooled into spending your €€€ to see your team being destroyed. Just stay at home and watch the game on TV. That'll fix things for you. And for Croke Park, too!"
That's the plan, iv said it on here before that il not be travelling to crokepark for Kerry v dublin championship games anymore, they ain't going milking my hard earned cash out of my pocket again.

Il still support my Kerry team against the other amateur football teams.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 05/05/2021 21:17:51    2340174

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Great news that the inter county minor and u20 panels can fully resume training and play games from the start of June. Last years minors have a very good chance as always of winning it again. They're a good side, a couple of very good players but also well balanced. I'm really looking forward to seeing the 20s under Declan. I'm hopeful this could be our year. They'll be able to choose a serious starting 15, with a strong bench as well. Any thoughts on the u20s lads, who ye think will be involved player wise?"
A lot will depend on Paul O'Shea's involvement. A Kerry with a Paul O'Shea and a Kerry without a Paul O'Shea are two totally different prospects

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 05/05/2021 21:23:49    2340176

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "A lot will depend on Paul O'Shea's involvement. A Kerry with a Paul O'Shea and a Kerry without a Paul O'Shea are two totally different prospects"
Absolutely. Sean O'Sullivan was on Off The Ball talking about Kerry for the coming year and he was asked about Paul O'Shea. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't with them though, I think it's safe enough that they'll have a full compliment. Dan McCarthy is another very important player for them. He did the cruciate last August but you'd imagine he'll be back in action, hopefully anyway.

The selection between the sticks will be interesting. Mark Kelliher and Devon Burns, 2 very good goalkeepers. I think I would go for Burns. He is the only keeper I can see challenging Ryan in the years ahead. A full forward line of Dylan Geaney, Sean Quilter and Ruaidhri O'Beaglaoich could be very prolific as well.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 05/05/2021 22:09:08    2340184

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "A lot will depend on Paul O'Shea's involvement. A Kerry with a Paul O'Shea and a Kerry without a Paul O'Shea are two totally different prospects"
I'd say this year could be a bit soon for Paul O'Shea to break into the senior setup so maybe he'd be better off training with the seniors and playing for the U20s.

Saying that I'd love to see Paul O'Shea on the senior team and if he makes it I'll be delighted for him.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 05/05/2021 22:30:44    2340187

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I'd say this year could be a bit soon for Paul O'Shea to break into the senior setup so maybe he'd be better off training with the seniors and playing for the U20s.

Saying that I'd love to see Paul O'Shea on the senior team and if he makes it I'll be delighted for him."
Ya, hard to disagree or find fault. Time will tell I suppose. What is encouraging is in seven days we will be eagerly looking forward to a team selection for the hosting of Galway.

We'll be dissecting and debating in due course

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 07/05/2021 14:58:20    2340425

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, hard to disagree or find fault. Time will tell I suppose. What is encouraging is in seven days we will be eagerly looking forward to a team selection for the hosting of Galway.

We'll be dissecting and debating in due course"
Exactly horse, the hurling is starting this weekend so at least ye North Kerr-eans will have something to watch and keep ye goin till next weekend.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 07/05/2021 15:21:08    2340433

Link