Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I just read that eir sport are showing the Kerry Galway league game in a few weeks time, that's rough on supporters who don't have an eir sports subscription (luckily I have it) but hopefully Kerry gaa might steam it as well."
Ah the dodgy box is well worth the investment now.

K'boy where did you see the list of televised games?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 26/04/2021 11:45:17    2338802

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I just read that eir sport are showing the Kerry Galway league game in a few weeks time, that's rough on supporters who don't have an eir sports subscription (luckily I have it) but hopefully Kerry gaa might steam it as well."
I thought they were going bust and shutting down?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 26/04/2021 12:02:15    2338805

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ah the dodgy box is well worth the investment now.

K'boy where did you see the list of televised games?"
On hoganstand home page horse, it only gave the eir sport league games unfortunately but the Kerry Galway game is the only Kerry game they're showing.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 26/04/2021 13:25:17    2338813

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I thought they were going bust and shutting down?"
I thought the same the hermit , maybe they have a little time to run on their contract with the gaa.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 26/04/2021 13:26:28    2338814

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Any of ye listening to Radio Kerry's Weekend Sport Today, Gerry was discussing the upcoming league fixtures and player panel with Timmy Moynihan and Timmy gave a XV that he and his learned sports colleagues would like to see tried in a league game, now this is not the strongest XV or the C'ship XV but a team tried out in a league game to verify if the players in question are viable options in the chosen positions.

Although I didn't agree with the selection, there is merit to the selection and I could see where they were coming from .

One of the main talking points was the centre back selection and in fairness to you K'boy it's a selection you have often touted here.

Their selection was: Shane Ryan, Gavin Crowley, Tadgh Morley, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Jack Barry, Gavin White, Diarmuid O'Conner, Liam Kearney, Seanie Shea, James O'Donoghue, Stephen O'Brien, David Clifford, Tommy Walsh and Tony Brosnan.

What do ye make of the Radio Kerry selection?"
The defence actually looks good. Perhaps Sherwood instead on Gavin Crowley. Also, I'm kind of glad to see that Tommy Walsh isn't a completely forgotten man. I'd have good time for him, and think that there may be one last hurrah in him. Going by this forum, one would think that Tommy had retired.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 26/04/2021 13:54:53    2338818

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "The defence actually looks good. Perhaps Sherwood instead on Gavin Crowley. Also, I'm kind of glad to see that Tommy Walsh isn't a completely forgotten man. I'd have good time for him, and think that there may be one last hurrah in him. Going by this forum, one would think that Tommy had retired."
I'm a fan of Gavin Crowley but he was skinned in at full back in Tralee two years ago by Shane Walsh, the Galway man took him for 1-02 but i suppose on his day the Galway man is unmarkable.

He went in corner back in 2019 semi vs Tyrone and played well there when Foley was subbed.

Still I like Briøn O'Beagleach too. He's sticky and very comfortable in the ball

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 26/04/2021 17:29:23    2338840

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I'm a fan of Gavin Crowley but he was skinned in at full back in Tralee two years ago by Shane Walsh, the Galway man took him for 1-02 but i suppose on his day the Galway man is unmarkable.

He went in corner back in 2019 semi vs Tyrone and played well there when Foley was subbed.

Still I like Briøn O'Beagleach too. He's sticky and very comfortable in the ball"
For me both are half backs and not options at corner back. Gavin Crowley hasn't played much in the full back line but when he has gone in there I don't think he has looked the most comfortable. Beaglaoich has played a good bit at corner back especially in the 2019 league and I remember him struggling. For me he just isn't a corner back. His strength is being on the ball, man marking isn't his game.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 26/04/2021 22:20:55    2338869

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "For me both are half backs and not options at corner back. Gavin Crowley hasn't played much in the full back line but when he has gone in there I don't think he has looked the most comfortable. Beaglaoich has played a good bit at corner back especially in the 2019 league and I remember him struggling. For me he just isn't a corner back. His strength is being on the ball, man marking isn't his game."
I agree. Kerry seem to have a surplus of half-back type players who love going forward with the ball, but a lack
of stay-at-home, man-marking type full-back line men.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 27/04/2021 14:59:32    2338945

Link

TG4 showing Kerry v dubs.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 27/04/2021 21:16:35    2339013

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "TG4 showing Kerry v dubs."
Should have said TG4 are showing the Kerry v dubs league game next month.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 27/04/2021 22:37:17    2339033

Link

Well that was always going to be live. We got back on the pitch again last night, ah man you'd feel great after it.

Onwards and upwards hopefully

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 27/04/2021 22:42:49    2339036

Link

So the Rossie game is the only one not televised? I assume the CB will have a streaming service going like they did for the League re-start last October?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 27/04/2021 23:48:21    2339040

Link

Ya lads I'd say the county board will surely stream the Roscommon game.

That's great news horse, the young lads were mad for road after the lock down I'd say.

The government need to ramp up the vaccinations so we can all get back to normal and get back watching games they are the biggest shower of dithering idiots iv ever seen.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 28/04/2021 11:19:06    2339071

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "So the Rossie game is the only one not televised? I assume the CB will have a streaming service going like they did for the League re-start last October?"
I think I saw TG4 have yet to decide what game they'll show of the last round. So our game against Roscommon will either be live or on the TG4 player.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 28/04/2021 16:15:18    2339144

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya Paudie is a class act gaa fan no doubt about it, he's very Galvinesque with his passing but PK seems to have a thing about picking him, like he only brought him on in last years munster semifinal in injury time with 3-4 minutes left on the clock."
I would think Paudie is a much better passer than Galvin tbh. As you can gather here I would nt be a fan of Galvin anyway. A great man to win dirty ball surely but did a lot of silly things also including bad passes. I was only watching the 2011 final last night and Galvin was the cause of 2 Dublin scores before half time.One with a silly sliding tackle and another with a very bad pass. I hope Paudie gets his chance during the league and maybe he could be a trump card.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1951 - 28/04/2021 16:31:56    2339151

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "For me both are half backs and not options at corner back. Gavin Crowley hasn't played much in the full back line but when he has gone in there I don't think he has looked the most comfortable. Beaglaoich has played a good bit at corner back especially in the 2019 league and I remember him struggling. For me he just isn't a corner back. His strength is being on the ball, man marking isn't his game."
Ó Beaglaoi imo can play anywhere and is a better option than Gavin Crowley but for me I'd like Sherwood to start.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1951 - 28/04/2021 16:33:32    2339152

Link

Lads, any confirmation on who was brought in as the back up goal keeper. I imagine it is Eoghan O'Brien from Churchill or have any of the U20 lads been promoted?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 28/04/2021 20:10:12    2339199

Link

Not a fan of Galvin eh, just another reason to be grateful for given a fella a wide berth.

Sound Kerry15, we should have every Kerry game on the tube so.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 28/04/2021 20:28:18    2339206

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads, any confirmation on who was brought in as the back up goal keeper. I imagine it is Eoghan O'Brien from Churchill or have any of the U20 lads been promoted?"
Kieran Fitzgibbon the Kenmare keeper was also called in. I presume Eoghan O'Brien is still inside as well. It looks like a battle between those 2 for the number 16 jersey as the u20 championship will probably be on around the same time as the Senior. I'd say it's likely to be O'Brien who backs up Ryan.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 28/04/2021 22:14:11    2339217

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I would think Paudie is a much better passer than Galvin tbh. As you can gather here I would nt be a fan of Galvin anyway. A great man to win dirty ball surely but did a lot of silly things also including bad passes. I was only watching the 2011 final last night and Galvin was the cause of 2 Dublin scores before half time.One with a silly sliding tackle and another with a very bad pass. I hope Paudie gets his chance during the league and maybe he could be a trump card."
It's not that I'm not a fan of Galvin, but he was never the same Paul Galvin again, after 2009. I watched that final (on TV, I wasn't at it) with quite a number of Kerry men. And it's easy I suppose in the heat of the moment to put with comments like "Galvin is the greatest half-forward that's ever played for Kerry." Not many, TG, but I did hear such nonsense for a few of the younger Kerry lads.

Theirs would be a limited, but not a holistic purview of the Kerry football scene. Even just in my own time watching Kerry play, Donnacha Walsh was every bit as good as Galvin, possibly even a less selfish team player; Liam Hassett delivered just as much as Galvin ever did; then there's Brendan Lynch, another great servant on the wing; and certainly Ger Power; and definitely Pat Spillane. Spillane is the greatest half forward to have ever kicked Gaelic football. No brag, just fact!

Galvin had an edge and and ego, and they were great. But in a cold gray light of dawn analysis, he'd be about the 4th best wing forward that I've seen kick for Kerry. I'd say in hindsight, none of the young ladeens that claimed him to be the best ever in 2009, are still coming out with such nonsense! Time marks greatness!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 29/04/2021 12:18:24    2339281

Link