Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

With Crowley gone what are people thinking for a settled back six? Who are guaranteed and who might be able to put the hand up?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 22/04/2021 11:14:17    2338341

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "With Crowley gone what are people thinking for a settled back six? Who are guaranteed and who might be able to put the hand up?"
I'd go Graham Ó'Sullivan sherwood Tom O'Sullivan

Paul Murphy Tadhg Morley Gavin White.

Can any1 name all the Kerry backs since we've lost 3 plus our sub goalkeeper?

I know Pa Kilkenny Jason foley and Brian O'Beaglaoich are 3.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 22/04/2021 12:03:18    2338351

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Kind words indeed Jimbo fair play to you."
Sure for feck sake

I know some around here think I'm a right b******s but if you cant honestly wish the man the very best in the future then what's the point.

Sure you need b******s' like me to make your own victories that much sweeter when they come. Some think I'm a wind up.. that's true enough but it's done with the best intentions.

I'd like to thank a few of the more militant Kerry posters for making Dublins run so much more enjoyable, one of the many highlights is knowing it's making a few of you miserable.

But anyway again PW is a player I admire, and would consider it a pleasure to support the chap if he was wearing sky blue. Several other current Kerry players I'd say the same thing about.

Another youngish player hanging up the boots. Like Connolly or McCaffrey I think they all had a lot more to give but they all have their reasons.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20341 - 22/04/2021 13:29:48    2338366

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I'd go Graham Ó'Sullivan sherwood Tom O'Sullivan

Paul Murphy Tadhg Morley Gavin White.

Can any1 name all the Kerry backs since we've lost 3 plus our sub goalkeeper?

I know Pa Kilkenny Jason foley and Brian O'Beaglaoich are 3."
Gavin Crowley...

Anyway hermit - my back VI if I PK.

O'Beagleach, Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Tadgh Morley, Gavin White.

Sherwood/Morley interchangeable.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 22/04/2021 14:21:34    2338379

Link

Apparently we're playing Dublin in Thurles for Rd 2 of the League on Sunday 23 May at 13:45.

On an unrelated point, I don't know about the rest of ye but if my satisfaction from sport was based on how upsetting it was for rival supporters I think I'd need to have a chat with myself.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 22/04/2021 15:56:36    2338397

Link

I think I'd be going;

Sherwood Morley TO'Sullivan
Murphy Crowley White

Or

Foley Sherwood TO'Sullivan
White Morley Murphy

Other backs on the panel after that 7 are Beaglaoich, Graham O'Sullivan, Mike Breen and Brian Leonard. I'm not sure if Pa Kilkenny is still on the panel? Someone will surely be called in to replace Crowley. Dan O'Donoghue being the obvious one for me, Jack McGuire might also be worth a look in training.

I'd be interested to know what level Graham O'Sullivan is at. It's hard to know, we've seen little enough of him at IC. His best chance is at corner back but the fewer league games won't work in his favour.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 22/04/2021 16:19:21    2338400

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I think I'd be going;

Murphy Crowley White

Or

White Morley Murphy

Other backs on the panel after that 7 are Beaglaoich, Graham O'Sullivan, Mike Breen and Brian Leonard. I'm not sure if Pa Kilkenny is still on the panel? Someone will surely be called in to replace Crowley. Dan O'Donoghue being the obvious one for me, Jack McGuire might also be worth a look in training.

I'd be interested to know what level Graham O'Sullivan is at. It's hard to know, we've seen little enough of him at IC. His best chance is at corner back but the fewer league games won't work in his favour."
Ya I forgot Brian Leonard he's an interesting 1, kept Clifford very quite last year.

Pa Kilkenny was brought in last year but didn't see any game time, I Pa he's aggressive and we need more of that, we'll win nothing with alter boys.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 22/04/2021 18:12:21    2338420

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I think I'd be going;

Murphy Crowley White

Or

White Morley Murphy

I'd be interested to know what level Graham O'Sullivan is at. It's hard to know, we've seen little enough of him at IC. His best chance is at corner back but the fewer league games won't work in his favour."
I seen a good bit of Graham too with UCC. He was excellent in their Sigerson run two years ago, I even think he scored two points from corner back.

He's a big strong lad, where Foley is pacy and big, Graham is more solid, theirs more meat to the bones, that's what I like about him. He also is very comfortable in possession, put it this way of what I've seen, Foley could win the ball at corner back and off load to the wing or centre man and stop. Whereas Graham would win the ball pass off and create the overlap and take the return and break, that's exactly what we need.

I'm sure the two O'Donoghues from the two in a row East Kerry teams are inside, Mike Breen was brought in, was young Casey from the U20's brought into the training Panel with is it young Nagel the U20 Full back from Rockies,.

I'm nearly sure, I must check my Tralee tout... sorry, couldn't resist..... but seriously I think they were brought in ...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 22/04/2021 18:19:20    2338422

Link

League Fixtures rubber stamped by all accounts.
Kerry v Galway - Saturday May 15th @ 3pm in Tralee
Kerry v Dublin - Sunday May 23rd @ 1.45pm in Thurles
Kerry v Roscommon - Sunday May 30th @ 3.45pm in Hyde Park

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 22/04/2021 18:38:15    2338424

Link

Is Aidan O'Shea in trouble,?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 22/04/2021 19:46:34    2338440

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Is Aidan O'Shea in trouble,?"
Why what he do now horse?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 22/04/2021 21:12:02    2338451

Link

Lot of talk on Twitter of a cruciate injury....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 22/04/2021 21:48:57    2338457

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I seen a good bit of Graham too with UCC. He was excellent in their Sigerson run two years ago, I even think he scored two points from corner back.

He's a big strong lad, where Foley is pacy and big, Graham is more solid, theirs more meat to the bones, that's what I like about him. He also is very comfortable in possession, put it this way of what I've seen, Foley could win the ball at corner back and off load to the wing or centre man and stop. Whereas Graham would win the ball pass off and create the overlap and take the return and break, that's exactly what we need.

I'm sure the two O'Donoghues from the two in a row East Kerry teams are inside, Mike Breen was brought in, was young Casey from the U20's brought into the training Panel with is it young Nagel the U20 Full back from Rockies,.

I'm nearly sure, I must check my Tralee tout... sorry, couldn't resist..... but seriously I think they were brought in ..."
Ya I saw those games with UCC as well. As far as I can remember he was very solid, I don't think any of his direct opponents did much. I find him a bit of a strange one because at u20 he looked like an outstanding attacking half back. He had good ball skills, was lightening fast and could run for the day. I was nearly expecting 2 or 3 points from him every game. From what I've seen since with South Kerry, UCC and a few league games he has put on a good bit of size and is a much more positionally disciplined. Corner back I would say is his position although down the road centre back might be a possibility. My only question is how comfortable is he as an out and out corner back, being a bit isolated with a tricky corner forward. Now I know an awful lot of backs will struggle in that situation. If he is able to manage well with that then he's a very good option.

As of the panel that was decided on January, I know that neither Chris or Dan O'Donoghue are on it. Same with Dylan Casey. For me Chris O'Donoghue is lacking a bit of physicality for IC while Dylan Casey is a very good prospect but I personally would wait for him to show form in the county championship before bringing him into the panel.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 22/04/2021 21:49:59    2338458

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Sure for feck sake

I know some around here think I'm a right b******s but if you cant honestly wish the man the very best in the future then what's the point.

Sure you need b******s' like me to make your own victories that much sweeter when they come. Some think I'm a wind up.. that's true enough but it's done with the best intentions.

I'd like to thank a few of the more militant Kerry posters for making Dublins run so much more enjoyable, one of the many highlights is knowing it's making a few of you miserable.

But anyway again PW is a player I admire, and would consider it a pleasure to support the chap if he was wearing sky blue. Several other current Kerry players I'd say the same thing about.

Another youngish player hanging up the boots. Like Connolly or McCaffrey I think they all had a lot more to give but they all have their reasons."
Oh I understand what you mean Jimbo. Many seem to get as much enjoyment nowadays in seeing a team they don't like beaten than they would when their own team wins. Gaa are gone a bit like soccer with teams shouting against teams they don't like. Even here on hoganstand I saw last year many taking great delights in Kerry s fall to Cork. Likewise many others would love to see Dublin fall now. I get your drift and no offence taken whatsoever. Yes Pete Crowley was a true warrior in the sporting sense and one of the best around to use the shoulder to shoulder tackle properly.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 22/04/2021 21:51:02    2338460

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Why what he do now horse?"
Rumour Aidan Ó Shea did cruciate but won't know for certain till more news comes in.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 22/04/2021 21:51:49    2338461

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I seen a good bit of Graham too with UCC. He was excellent in their Sigerson run two years ago, I even think he scored two points from corner back.

I'm nearly sure, I must check my Tralee tout... sorry, couldn't resist..... but seriously I think they were brought in ..."
Yes from what I've seen of Graham Ó Sullivan I really like and you describe his style of play very well horse

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 22/04/2021 21:53:03    2338462

Link

Serious knee injury in first session back training apparently.
This kind of thing will probably happen a lot this year considering the very short pre-season. Lads going from training on their own for months to high intensity squad full contact sessions.

We'll be blessed not to pick up a rake of serious knocks ourselves.

Can't help but think it just plays into Dublin's hands, a core group with years of strength and conditioning and more strength in dept that anyone else :(

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 22/04/2021 22:01:48    2338464

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Yes from what I've seen of Graham Ó Sullivan I really like and you describe his style of play very well horse"
I genuinely think he is an option and very possible in a pivotal role in the next few years.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 22/04/2021 22:05:55    2338465

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lot of talk on Twitter of a cruciate injury...."
Feck I never heard, that's rough at his age if it's true. The only plus for him is he doesn't rely on pace for his game.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 22/04/2021 22:29:26    2338466

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Rumour Aidan Ó Shea did cruciate but won't know for certain till more news comes in."
Nasty 1 for sure.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 22/04/2021 22:30:02    2338467

Link