Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see a lot of posters arguing for Flannagan starting and I understand the reasoning and wouldn't be disappointed to see it. However, I would also argue that the the Galway corner backs; Harte and Cooney, match up badly with smaller nippier corner forwards like Casey and Mulcahy. Even if Gillane breaks even with Daithi you'd imagine there'd be plenty of opportunity for the other 2. And then of course you'd have the nightmare scenario for Daithi of Flannagan, who gave him awful trouble in 18, coming on for 20 minutes after battling with Gillane, with Gillane moving on to a (hopefully run ragged) corner back and giving them another new and different challenge.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 994 - 27/11/2020 04:01:44    2315827

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "I see a lot of posters arguing for Flannagan starting and I understand the reasoning and wouldn't be disappointed to see it. However, I would also argue that the the Galway corner backs; Harte and Cooney, match up badly with smaller nippier corner forwards like Casey and Mulcahy. Even if Gillane breaks even with Daithi you'd imagine there'd be plenty of opportunity for the other 2. And then of course you'd have the nightmare scenario for Daithi of Flannagan, who gave him awful trouble in 18, coming on for 20 minutes after battling with Gillane, with Gillane moving on to a (hopefully run ragged) corner back and giving them another new and different challenge."
All great options and again it's great for an armchair coach like me revel in the bounty of options that our men in the line have brought down on themselves.

Would be unsettling for any back 6 to see Flanagan, Casey or Mul trotting in to them after a torrid 30 or 40 minutes.
Also love the energy , skill and options Darragh brings whether starting or coming on.
That said, I would not be opposed keeping Darragh to cone of the bench, and going with Kyle at 7,Cian andWOD in the middle and having Séamus start at 11 to keep McInerney in check and also having license to swap positions repeatedly with Aaron at the drop of a helmet. This from the the Delaney/ Purcell playbook which produced the "fox in the henhouse" pandemonium for many a back 6 in the 70s.

I'm not saying anything... just making a comment..

Mouth watering indeed.,
Best of luck!!
Come On Ye Boys In Green.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1159 - 27/11/2020 11:00:28    2315877

Link