Donegal Forum

Resting senior players during league

(Oldest Posts First)

I was just thinking if it would be a good idea of resting senior players during the whole of league campaign . Quite a few of them have a lot of miles on the clock .Im thinking of the two McGee s frank McGlynn Karl Lacey Neil Gallagher Rory Kavanagh although he had a good break last year Colm McFadden and Christy Toye and go with younger players plus players on previous panels who never got much game time and mayby work in the senior ones towards end of league on a different subject we don't start Ulster till jJune so why not play a couple of club championships before that also why do we wait till March or April to start club league then Mayby we would nt have this club verses County this year just a thought

Gaafanatic61 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 21/01/2016 11:15:56    1818204

Link

Given the article on donegalsporthub Id say dont expect most of them lads to be playing much before the roscommon, dublin and monaghan game! maybe the kerry game which is round 4.. id be surprised though if they went to killarney!!

beidhmeanseo (Donegal) - Posts: 76 - 22/01/2016 10:29:53    1818430

Link

Tricky one this. I think that it is good to be able to rest the squad for sure. But players that show well in the league should be rewarded come championship time nonetheless. I also think that we will see a full donegal team out on saturday to play down. Possibly against rosscommon too.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3786 - 24/01/2016 17:07:25    1818769

Link

How did the challenge game against Westmeath go over the weekend?

Matthew (None) - Posts: 923 - 24/01/2016 18:20:13    1818802

Link

Donegal beat Westmeath by 4 or 5. Another win at Ballyshannon venue!!

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 449 - 24/01/2016 18:58:39    1818817

Link

I find the idea of resting players a crazy one. If the players are training hard then why not play matches?? What will not playing matches achieve ?? why have Donegal players more miles in their legs than others ?? sure half the Dublin team have been playing non stop for the last 3 years and its doing them no harm. This is typical of the mindset that has taken over post Jimmy, back to the good old days.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 25/01/2016 17:42:57    1819165

Link

I see the post from a Dublin person s opinion comparing Dublin players to Donegal players .Can that contributer tell us how many of their players have been playing from between twelve and fifteen years .It would be interesting to know not very many I would imagine

Gaafanatic61 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 25/01/2016 18:55:09    1819188

Link

Where posters come from has nothing to do with this issue. But to answer your question dublin have few players except maybe cluxton and berno who have been around that length of time, most retire in the early 30s. It says alot about Donegal that they are still dependent on lads well into their 30s. As someone once said in the good old days it was harder to be left off the panel once you were on it in Donegal. If someone can explain why resting will benefit players then I am all eras, but if they are fit and training anyway then why not play.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 26/01/2016 10:04:49    1819284

Link

I think a lot of it has to do with existing injuries - I see no reason to play anyone if they are not 100%
Not playing some players saves them. There are some players on every team that other teams target (outside of the rules) - Karl Lacey is a prime example of this
Then there is the case with the Older players we know what the are capable of. McKenna Cup and League should be used to blood players and see what standard they are capable of.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 26/01/2016 10:46:18    1819299

Link

Yes I am with the last contributor Karl Lacey is an example of abuse outside the rules and has not been the same player for the last three years as a direct of this For me referees r to blame for not taking direct action against those culprits As a result of this Karl has asked to be excused the start of season Colm (gooch) Cooper doesn't. Start the early season and if my memory serves me right does the Brogan brothers

Gaafanatic61 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 26/01/2016 14:47:48    1819417

Link

It's a good Idea to be bleeding fresh talent in the McKenna Cup every year, and then regularly playing them in the National League games.

Donegal have dropped from the Top table, from the top sides such as Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. I think Donegal currently sit with Tyrone who are trending upwards, Cork who are close to stepping up, Monaghan who are transitioning slighty and maybe Kildare and Galway.

For Rory Gallagher's tenure with Donegal to be deemed a success, he needs to win an Ulster Championship and reach at least an All Ireland SF or Final. I suspect Donegal U21's will be Kings of Ulster in 2016, and Declan Bonner will be knocking on the door of the Donegal senior hotseat, so time is limited for Rory Gallagher to make a serious impact.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 26/01/2016 19:40:07    1819510

Link

The best post I've seen on this site for awhile .I think this league will be a make or break for Rory I am not sure if it was the right choice trying to emulate Jim is a good thing U need to be different to some extent but u cannot have some players having their own rules and remaining on the panel Jim stopped that straight away and see where it took us No player is above anyone else if u want to keep a close knit unit Time will tell I hope that I am wrong and we have a successful year In the end that is all that matters

Gaafanatic61 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 26/01/2016 20:19:59    1819527

Link