Donegal Forum

New Panel announced.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Ah cut out the nonsence,he's not up to it! Just because he's from Bundoran and mceniff raving about him,he's just not up to it,end off!

PastandPresent (Donegal) - Posts: 345 - 11/12/2015 19:38:23    1812707

Link

New lads had a good start on Sunday. Need to leave them alone and give them time to develop. Gonna take 2/3 years for them to develop in proper inter-county players and here is hoping we can get half a dozen or so from this batch. Mchugh gone from panel. Rory had to make that call or he would come under pressure for keeping him in squad when not pulling his weight.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 07/01/2016 21:37:11    1815229

Link

Anyone know any details about why Mark mchugh is gone? i know he's doing his own raining but is there anything else to be learned?

clubbrolly (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 08/01/2016 12:15:02    1815271

Link

Not sure where to post this but I wouldn't like the week to go by without mentioning the sad passing of a Donegal legend with the death of Four Masters Donal Monaghan last Monday. Was hoping he would get a mention on national media. He was a star on the breakthrough team of '72 and became the counties' second ever All Star in '74.
Always thought he was a fine player, my favourite memory of him was in the '74 semi final when Donegal were being blitzed by Galway early on .. went 9-10 points behind when 3-4 spectacular and dashing interceptions by this curly blonde defender raised the siege which along with great leadership by the late Seamus Bonner saw Donegal draw level before half time.
May he rest in peace.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 367 - 08/01/2016 18:13:46    1815374

Link

The Mark McHugh story is growing rather old at this stage. He has been given several chances since 2012 but for one reason or another he is kept around.Looks like different strokes for different folks as McHugh seemingly is above the law with disciplinary infractions as far as Donegal management is concerned.Rory Gallagher should be bigger than this,have a level playing field as far as selecting his panel.There are better players around at the minute deserving of a chance!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 283 - 09/01/2016 15:53:07    1815465

Link

Donegal look to be shaping up quite well so far, some superb younger players getting their really getting a proper chance to shine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Karl Lacey, Christy Toye and Colm McFadden struggle to regain starting places later in the National League campaign.

I think to be missing Mark McHugh will probably make Donegal stronger, and if Rory Gallagher gets the blend of players right, I firmly believe Donegal have the strength and depth to continue to keep Tyrone of the top spot in Ulster.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 09/01/2016 19:47:25    1815519

Link

I think it would be better all round to forget about Mark McHugh, he just isn't the same player for one reason or another.

I thought the performance against St. Mary's was worrying as yet again we struggle with teams who play the blanket defence. We had most of the possession but ran out of ideas once we hit the 45 metre line. I thought all the young lads did well again and looked confident on the ball. However we seem to struggle to get scores teams who are well drilled defensively. It is much too early in the season to get worried but it is a concern.

What do people think of Rory Kavanagh returning to the panel? I must admit I didn't see that coming. We do struggle around the midfield area so he would be a good addition.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 12/01/2016 09:45:23    1815971

Link

welcome back Rory, one thing for sure to come out of last season is that that we really noticed Rory Kavanaghs presence when he wasn't there!! a mature player, when managed properly would give us stability in midfield for the last 20 mins of a tight game off the bench....lets get him, Leo & A Thompson fit again, that will leave us much stronger going into the Championship compared to last year. RE Mark McHugh, its time to move on, and that includes Mark himself, clearly hasn't learned or matured in 2 years...his younger brother is putting him to shame on and off the field

donegalcelt (Donegal) - Posts: 141 - 12/01/2016 10:54:23    1815992

Link

Agree - have to leave Mark behind and move on. As the last poster said, Ryan is streets ahead of him.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 12/01/2016 13:18:18    1816043

Link

welcome back Rory, one thing for sure to come out of last season is that that we really noticed Rory Kavanaghs presence when he wasn't there!! a mature player, when managed properly would give us stability in midfield for the last 20 mins of a tight game off the bench....lets get him, Leo & A Thompson fit again, that will leave us much stronger going into the Championship compared to last year. RE Mark McHugh, its time to move on, and that includes Mark himself, clearly hasn't learned or matured in 2 years...his younger brother is putting him to shame on and off the field

donegalcelt (Donegal) - Posts:96 - 12/01/2016 10:54:23

I would agree with that. M McHugh was superb in 2012 but lets leave it there; I wouldnt have him on the team anyway. Its great that so many new guys have been drafted in.

On Karl Lacey , he was fantastic last year until he got injured. He plays with his head anyway as he is so smart on the pitch. I do not think that he is near finished.

Great news on Kavanagh - the break will do him good. Wouldnt get too upset on last Sunday . Its early days and we have the big players to come back.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 12/01/2016 14:10:14    1816059

Link

Great way to start today hearing the news of Rory's impending return to the panel certainly lifted the spirits after the sad news that greeted the world yesterday morning. I only saw Rory play once this year in the county final and he was superb. I wrote on another thread here that it would be fantastic to have him back in the squad. The younger players can learn alot from Rory which will aid their development. I can't imagine the likes of Tyrone or Monaghan will be best pleased hearing of his return.

As for the weekends performance it was very worrying despite it been so early in the season. I must confess to only making it for the 2nd half but of what I did see I was not overly impressed in the main. I felt some players over carried the ball instead of hitting earlier ball to stretch the St Mary's back line. Donegal really need an inside forward in the James Donoghue mould that has pace but also has that predatory instinct. I am not sure there is such a player coming through but time will tell. Some will point to Paddy McB but I have always had reservations there regarding consistency and fact I think he thrives on confidence but goes into reverse when he misses a few. Saying that Stephen McB done well and will be a welcome addition to championship if he remains injury free. I also thought Stephen Mcmenamin done really well and for me he will be a Donegal mainstay for years to come. I thought the groundsmen done a fantastic job on the O'Donnell park surface to have it in the condition it was for the time of year. Though almost too well as some of the Donegal players struggled with their footing esp in the 2nd half. St. Mary's must also be commended for a fantastic performance esp in the 2nd half. They defended well and when Paddy Mcgrath went off they really took full advantage.

With a view to the future I went to the delayed U-21 football final. I thought Kilcar were much the better side despite the relative close proximity on the scoreboard. They were very susceptible to quick ball played into the full forward line but that apart they dominated for long periods. Stephen McB played well and got one beautiful score. Ryan played well within himself but showed great composure at the end to get Kilcar over the line. But there was 3 players who stood out and some of you might enlighten me as to their names, No. 8, No. 20 and by far the most impressive player on display No. 10 who I think might be Andrew McClean? He was superb barring a some wayward shooting. His link up play and foot passing was a joy to watch plus he showed some turn of foot when leaving many St Eunan's players in his trail. A fantastic performance and a player I will be watching closely from now on as I would be surprised were he not to make his mark at inter county level in the future. John Campbell was disappointing and never got himself into the game. None of the St. Eunans players really stood out though was unfortunate Rory Carr was out injured as surely he was a massive loss and a player I would loved to have seen play.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 12/01/2016 16:07:44    1816092

Link

Young lads fairing well! McBrearty and Carroll seem to have the donkey work role and Thompson is classy in midfield. All of the defensive new lads very solid also, think it's a masterstroke by Rory taking in this talent

Viva2012 (Donegal) - Posts: 108 - 12/01/2016 18:23:42    1816141

Link

I am listening to a lot of talk about under 21 and Kilcar and all that ?where we're they in senior championships the competition the management were suppose to be watching nowhere to be seen ?What about the two McGettigens Aeron Thompson Owen Wade Brick and Leon Thompson or r Naomh Conaill players barred from the County only just a thought I noticed Leo and Ciaran were withdrawn at half time in last match it makes u wonder what is going on Jim never barred any player over the club they came from

Gaafanatic61 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 18/01/2016 20:24:36    1817498

Link

please tell me its not true that this "Kilcar-Glenties thing" still hasn't been resolved....if it hasn't, then its poor management on Rory's behalf, we will certainly NOT move forward this year until it has..

TheWhitewalker (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 19/01/2016 10:08:12    1817548

Link

Ah cut out the nonsence,he's not up to it! Just because he's from Bundoran and mceniff raving about him,he's just not up to it,end off!

PastandPresent (Donegal) - Posts:204 - 11/12/2015 19:38:23

are you serious that you think paul brennan aint up to it, he is as good if not better than some of the current Donegal team lad, he would be a serious addition to rory gallaghers squad, he is 1 of at least 5 bundoran players that should of got a run in the McKenna cup with doengal this year as it would a been fully deserved, and they would a been in good shape as they played there last league game bout 3 weeks before donegals first outing, its madness none of the bundoran lads bar Jamie brennan got a look in this year!

gaafacts123 (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 20/01/2016 12:23:22    1817907

Link

sure them boys don't watch the intermediate championship

pointsmad (Donegal) - Posts: 16 - 20/01/2016 13:14:56    1817932

Link

You don't no much about GAA then so lad, some of kerrys top players play intermediate or junior championship, and if your good enough it doesn't matter what level of championship your playing, david wlash has played intermediate al thru his Donegal career, and a lot of them lads from st michaels started of as intermediate players

gaafacts123 (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 20/01/2016 13:28:27    1817937

Link

how many Players have been plucked from Intermediate in th e last 5 years??them players were all established before The Jim era not verymany intermediate players get a chance up there now

pointsmad (Donegal) - Posts: 16 - 20/01/2016 17:02:49    1818026

Link

What all this talk about Bundoran players getting a trial one or two maybe but u r talking about half of the team St Eunans have won more senior championships in the last ten years and yet only one player on county team so get a reality check

Gaafanatic61 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 20/01/2016 18:39:44    1818074

Link

Its difficult to see how good players would be overlooked. I think that yes there is loyalty to longer serving players, and this can be an issue with younger lads knocking on the door, but younger players are now getting a chance re the league and mckenna cup competitions. There seems to be a very healthy and balanced way of blooding the squad now. As for playing favorites with certain clubs over others, I am not sure what the policy is about this, other than quality of players. I am sure that every year some players and clubs feel hard done by, and conspiracy theories sweep through the supporters about who is getting a nod ahead of who. But that is all it is. Wise talk. I am confident that our best 15 will be on the pitch by championship time, and we will see after that if we are good enough to push for honors later in the summer. But I would doubt that our best players will not have been discovered or given a chance before then.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3786 - 20/01/2016 21:47:44    1818134

Link