Wicklow Forum

Wicklow vs Meath 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any division 4 team playing a team from Division 1 or 2, just needs to ensure that they don't get hammered as it only demoralizes players for the rest of the qualifiers and strengthens the calls for a two tier system which in theory seems a good idea but in reality is no benefit to weaker counties as you don't get any better playing other average teams when you are trying to improve plus players don't want to play in a Tommy Murphy cup style format after all the training they do. Longford were never going to beat Dublin so the Longford manager should have ensured that they didn't get a hammering by going 1 v 1, especially with Dublin of all teams. This should act as a warning to our team and management when playing Meath, if they go 1 v 1, we will be hammered, we need to have a defensive plan and stick to it - it may not be pretty but it needs to be effective as we have no real chance of winning the game.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1337 - 02/06/2015 14:48:05    1731446

Link

The gap between Meath and Wicklow is not the same as the gap between Dublin and the rest of Leinster.I believe that Wicklow should go out and give it a lash. Meath are not world beaters. Remember that Dublin beat them by 16 plus points in last year's decider. League positions have no bearing in the championship. Offaly won Leinster as a D4 side a few years ago. Longford finished bottom of D4 a few years ago and defeated Mayo in the qualifiers.
Meath are punching above the weight since their glory days. Teams with the exception of Dublin are defeated before they take the pitch when playing Meath. Wicklow should throw off the shackles and give it a lash.
Wicklow had their chances in Aughrim a few years ago and blew it. It is time to let go of the defeatist attitude and show that the majority of Leinster counties can compete against each other.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 02/06/2015 20:00:43    1731646

Link

Jack Sheedy openly canvassing for a two tier championship struck me as odd. I wonder what the Longford board and indeed players made of his comments. Seemed like a bit of a solo run to me. Jockeying for position for a lash at the Dublin job in due course I'd say

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 471 - 02/06/2015 21:02:51    1731683

Link

Agreeing with your self again I see Square ball. Who do you think you are codding keeping up with this nonsense. It is so obvious but you cant help your self from doing it.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 343 - 02/06/2015 21:55:50    1731736

Link

Did Meath not score 7 goals against carlow in dr cullen park last summer so they do give out hammerrings and this will be one unfortunately,think their was a 1 0r 2 point defeat against waterford last week and they lost by 22pts on sunday.I think we will be beaten heavily 20-30pts.Sponger why take the 1/16 when you can get 1/12 with boyles,

theriddler (Wicklow) - Posts: 193 - 03/06/2015 16:35:58    1732048

Link

From memory Theriddler it was Meath 7-10 Carlow 0-6 last year

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 03/06/2015 17:13:14    1732078

Link

JackL would you ever cop on,Trying to compare Offaly with Wicklow,as Tommy Lyons said Offaly never worried about the League. Offaly had a proven pedigre Wicklow don't,Offaly won the National League the following year which was their first.They beat Wicklow by 12 points in Croker on their way to winning the Leinster title 1-17 to 0-8.When they beat Meath in the final their inside forward trio of Brady,Malone and Claffey capitalised on Meath missing Darren Day and Mark O,Reilly.The present Wicklow team wouldn't get within 40 points of that Offaly team who had class in every position.

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 03/06/2015 18:57:16    1732120

Link

Heard Wicklow beat Wexford in a challenge match the other day, now obviously it is impossible to read much into that but you would like to think that they are at least moving quite well and should be up for it with everyone writing them off. Don't get me wrong I am not falling into the same old trap I do every year and I know we won't come too close to Meath but a good performance and a decent back door draw might prevent the doomsday scenario everyone fears

townieee (Wicklow) - Posts: 261 - 04/06/2015 10:19:15    1732240

Link

If you listen to all the experts Meath will win with a bit to spare. People coming onto this forum predicting a winning margin in the region of 20+ points are talking absolutely nonsences. The gap between Meath and Wicklow is not a chasm. If i am being pessimistic I would predict a 12-16 point winning margin but being realistic, I would see a 8-12 points with grounds for optimism going into qualifiers.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 04/06/2015 10:44:37    1732257

Link

Passerby, have to agree with you on sheedy . Obviously he was speaking directly after a walloping and was probably fairly emotional but I don't think that's the message his young panel need to hear. Longford and indeed ourselves and other counties in Leinster need to see the dubs as a benchmark and ultimately try to compete. No team is going to improve by playing at a mediocre level amongst counties of a lesser standard. The Tommy Murphy cup was a nice day out for us but it was largely ignored and didn't inspire much more than a few hundred Wicklow people to go to croker. We gained exactly nothing from it in the long run except perpetuating the "micko" myth for a while longer. We and the likes of Carlow need to cop on and identify talent younger, put money into their development, ensure these better players are kept in the system, focus on our major centres of population where the gaa is fighting against other sports and mostly losing. And we need to put up with these hammering until we get our house in order. Lose to Meath next week by twenty points? tough!! Go out next year and lose to them by ten, that's progress! If you accept a second tier competition it's telling some talented young in player in baltinglass or tullow or wherever"forget about trying to be an elite footballer, you are from a weak county and you are a weak player. End of story." It's going to take ages but weaker counties need to improve and not give in without a fight.

townieee (Wicklow) - Posts: 261 - 04/06/2015 11:06:21    1732267

Link

Townieee

Would agree with what you say there. My Take

- Whats the point in Longford winning Leinster Minor titles and beating Dublin underage teams and getting to Leinster U21 finals only for their senior manager to essentially say " These lads are only B standard - lets have a B Championship" . So a couple of years after reaching the pinnacle of underage in your province you are told " your not good enough" ? .. some message that when you think about it.

- If they want a B Championship , what are GAA prepared to do ? ( Remember we played Antrim in a TM final shortly after breakfast time before a Minor game in Leinster a few years back?! - some encouragement that was ). Again if GAA want a B Championship , let them propose a B Final before All Ireland Senior Final - end of , no half measures.

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 04/06/2015 12:18:07    1732307

Link

Was just looking back at the recent results between the sides. Meath won by 5 points 2 years ago (1-17 1-12), and 5 the year before that (0-16 0-11). Wicklow always put it up to us and I wouldn't expect this year to be any different. When you factor in Meath's hefty injury list, I can't see us winning by the kind of margin some have mentioned on here. Leaving aside the Carlow game last year -- which was an anomoly - we don't tend to dish out many hammerings, and I don't see next week being too one-sided. I expect Meath to win, but by a similar margin to 2012 and 2013. Looking forward to it though, first Leinster SFC game for Meath in Navan since 1995. Should be a good atmosphere.

SmallHouse (Meath) - Posts: 291 - 04/06/2015 13:27:18    1732349

Link

Couldn't agree with you more towniee

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 480 - 04/06/2015 16:10:36    1732470

Link

With regard to the Tommy Murphy win that year I still remember us lifting the cup as two teams ran out onto the pitch ?

I would support an A and B championship with 4 groups of four, with some kind of promotion and relegation. You could use league placing to decide the competition. If you are in division 3 or 4 you are there for a reason.

The provincial championships are a farce.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2730 - 04/06/2015 16:57:58    1732487

Link

There are 3 tiers in Leinster football - Tier 1 is Dublin on their own, they are the only Division 1 team in the province and the only team in Leinster capable of winning an All Ireland. In Tier 2, there is Meath, Laois and Kildare, up to April this year, all 3 were in Division 2 and in Tier 3, there are the rest. The gap between Dublin and Tier 3 is enormous, in fact, it may prove before summer end that the gap to Tier 2 is quite big as well. I don't believe it is in the interest of the weaker counties in Tier 3 to be put into a competition like the Tommy Murphy cup to compete against one another with no hope of ever improving or bridging the gap to the big boys - the GAA, be it the President or Central Council really need to go away and come up with an 'big picture' idea. I have been following GAA for a long number of years and I am not one bit surprised that we have arrived at where we are now - the GAA including the media are only interested in the top 5-6 teams in the country, a recent example being the Donegal versus Tyrone match which was shown live (only match shown) and then in the highlights programme, Leitrim and Carlow were left with a few minutes at the end of the programme so Tyrone and Donegal got top billing twice - the same would happen if it was Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Cork etc. If I was on the County Board or was a delegate sent to Congress on behalf of Wicklow, I would not agree to any new structure until I was satisfied it was going to benefit the weaker counties - the GAA have the money, why don't they invest it in proper structures and coaching in counties that can't afford it themselves through sponsorship or due to a lack of population, if they want a level playing field or else cap sponsorship for the bigger counties.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1337 - 04/06/2015 21:06:20    1732591

Link

Going by all comments theres not much hope of a shock!! I can see wicklow going well up to the last 15 minutes and then Meath will take over and win by around 6 points which wouldnt be to bad.

yosser (Wicklow) - Posts: 225 - 06/06/2015 10:43:10    1733078

Link

Losers of this match playes the loser of the Armagh/Donegal match. A big ask. Could evoke memories of the great match against Armagh in Armagh when Armagh were lucky to survive and were brough to Aughrim a week later.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 08/06/2015 09:18:59    1733853

Link

Round 1B (Games to take place on Saturday, June 27th)
Tyrone v Limerick
Louth v Leitrim
Armagh/Donegal loser v Meath/Wicklow loser
Westmeath/Wexford loser v Down

Does anybody still think that there should not be two tiers ?

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2730 - 08/06/2015 10:53:47    1733921

Link

Who has home venue in the Armagh/Donegal Vs Meath/Wicklow fixture.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2868 - 08/06/2015 11:42:15    1733973

Link

Armagh or Donegal Jack,ah well, at least we have a date for the commencement of the club champ now.

i.am.ahab. (Wicklow) - Posts: 254 - 08/06/2015 12:51:49    1734021

Link