Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

how is that hear say? That is actual managerial decisions that were made (live on TV!) re Doyle and Stamp. For me they looked like poor decisions made under pressure. Flannery, I feel is not the right man to move Wexford forward. He does not have the high performance experience we need. Mrfox as you seem to have an anti Dunne agenda, am I not entitled to say I think Flannery is not the man for the job?

Jack Guiney opted out himself. We've never really know what type of player he could be as he hasn't ever really knuckled down and applied himself physical and mentally to a full seasons training - we're possibly looking at his performances with rose tinted glasses. Better to work with the lads who are there.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 06/08/2016 11:28:26    1896541

Link

We don't know weather Waterford got rid of Flannery or he left for his own reasons. To say McGrath got rid of him is wrong without knowing the truth.
Am not Anti Dunne but I am anti a manager who criticise his players in public and fails to prepare his team properly.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 06/08/2016 12:41:19    1896563

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "how is that hear say? That is actual managerial decisions that were made (live on TV!) re Doyle and Stamp. For me they looked like poor decisions made under pressure. Flannery, I feel is not the right man to move Wexford forward. He does not have the high performance experience we need. Mrfox as you seem to have an anti Dunne agenda, am I not entitled to say I think Flannery is not the man for the job?

Jack Guiney opted out himself. We've never really know what type of player he could be as he hasn't ever really knuckled down and applied himself physical and mentally to a full seasons training - we're possibly looking at his performances with rose tinted glasses. Better to work with the lads who are there."
Top post there. That's it in a nutshell, unfortunately that's the case with all the players who didn't commit, we'll never know whether they had what it takes to make it at senior intercounty level or not. We can talk about 20 minutes in a match two years ago and other flashes of brillance, but commitment and dedication are essential elements to compliment talent. There's a lot of talented hurlers in Kilkenny that Cody wouldn't touch with a forty foot pole.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 06/08/2016 13:17:47    1896576

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "how is that hear say? That is actual managerial decisions that were made (live on TV!) re Doyle and Stamp. For me they looked like poor decisions made under pressure. Flannery, I feel is not the right man to move Wexford forward. He does not have the high performance experience we need. Mrfox as you seem to have an anti Dunne agenda, am I not entitled to say I think Flannery is not the man for the job?

Jack Guiney opted out himself. We've never really know what type of player he could be as he hasn't ever really knuckled down and applied himself physical and mentally to a full seasons training - we're possibly looking at his performances with rose tinted glasses. Better to work with the lads who are there."
Agree 100% about guiney and you are perfectly entitled tk believe flannery is not the right man for the job, im not sure if he is either. As you said hes not proven at the top level.
However that does not mean Dunne should stay, Flannery not being the right man doesnt make dunne the right man. You made an attempt to elevate dunne by discrediting flannery which i think is a bit bissed to be fair.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 06/08/2016 14:54:06    1896599

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "Agree 100% about guiney and you are perfectly entitled tk believe flannery is not the right man for the job, im not sure if he is either. As you said hes not proven at the top level.
However that does not mean Dunne should stay, Flannery not being the right man doesnt make dunne the right man. You made an attempt to elevate dunne by discrediting flannery which i think is a bit bissed to be fair."
Hurler101 where have I mentioned Dunne in my post?? "Where is everyone getting the notion that Frank Flannery would make a good wexford manager..he was the coach of Waterford and Derek McGrath got rid if him after wex beat them. He was a selector/ coach with cork this year, and we all know how that ended. And as per some posters on this forum they think Frank had no say with either team..utter garbage. And now some posters think he should manage wexford? Stephen Doyle hadn't been in the panel for two years and was brought on in the all Ireland semifinal. Oulart had the wind in the first half of the match, and they decided to play with 5 forwards, all poor technical and managerial decisions. Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. Very questionable managerial decisions."

I just questioned Flannery's experience, never mentioned Dunne or any comparison as you can read above. Just trying to provide some balance here.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 06/08/2016 16:48:51    1896644

Link

'We don't know weather Waterford got rid of Flannery or he left for his own reasons. To say McGrath got rid of him is wrong without knowing the truth.'

MrFox, Derek McGrath had a complete clear out of his backroom team, including Flanney, S and C etc. the year we beat them in the championship. It's a know fact for anyone who follows hurling.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 06/08/2016 16:52:39    1896651

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Hurler101 where have I mentioned Dunne in my post?? "Where is everyone getting the notion that Frank Flannery would make a good wexford manager..he was the coach of Waterford and Derek McGrath got rid if him after wex beat them. He was a selector/ coach with cork this year, and we all know how that ended. And as per some posters on this forum they think Frank had no say with either team..utter garbage. And now some posters think he should manage wexford? Stephen Doyle hadn't been in the panel for two years and was brought on in the all Ireland semifinal. Oulart had the wind in the first half of the match, and they decided to play with 5 forwards, all poor technical and managerial decisions. Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. Very questionable managerial decisions."

I just questioned Flannery's experience, never mentioned Dunne or any comparison as you can read above. Just trying to provide some balance here."
We all know you are trying everything you can to justify keeping Dunne in the job, just as we all know i think its vital we try and improve on what he has done by replacing him. You dont have to specify or use Dunnes name, i know exactly what you were doing. I think most on hear know you have little interest in balance. To be fair neither do I, I am firmly on one side of the fence, but at least i dont pretend otherwise!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 06/08/2016 18:32:39    1896718

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "We all know you are trying everything you can to justify keeping Dunne in the job, just as we all know i think its vital we try and improve on what he has done by replacing him. You dont have to specify or use Dunnes name, i know exactly what you were doing. I think most on hear know you have little interest in balance. To be fair neither do I, I am firmly on one side of the fence, but at least i dont pretend otherwise!!"
hurler101 I'm sure Keith Barry will be in touch with you when he's looking for his next clairvoyant - wow what an insight into my thoughts!

I don't think Flannery is the man for the job. I've provided my arguments etc. The end.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 06/08/2016 20:03:36    1896826

Link

"Am not Anti Dunne but I am anti a manager who criticise his players in public and fails to prepare his team properly"

If you want to see a team who is not prepared properly you should stick to the football forum. Wasn't it fantastic that a football player came out to publicly criticise the football manager, on twitter. I think the team were prepared properly considering the injuries etc. Have not heard any players coming out to criticise the hurling management.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 06/08/2016 20:10:59    1896852

Link

Replying To castletownman:  ""Am not Anti Dunne but I am anti a manager who criticise his players in public and fails to prepare his team properly"

If you want to see a team who is not prepared properly you should stick to the football forum. Wasn't it fantastic that a football player came out to publicly criticise the football manager, on twitter. I think the team were prepared properly considering the injuries etc. Have not heard any players coming out to criticise the hurling management."
Chin has stated the team were not fit enough going into the Dublin match. If a team are not fit they are not prepared properly. Simple as.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 06/08/2016 22:33:51    1896993

Link

Lads I think it's time Dunne left as in my opinion he has brought the team as far as he can. To be fair he has left us in a much better state than the Bonner era when we were close to relegation to the Christy Ring . We now have a group of players capable of competing with the best I think and I think appointing the right management team will maximise our potential.Apart from Sheedy and Daly there isn't many inter can't county proven managers out there at the moment. Maybe John Allen aswell. Flannery is the only option I can think of coaching in the county at the present time. People saying he lacks inter county experience but look everyone has to start somewhere . Speak to anyone in Oulart and they will tell you he has brought in an extremely professional set up aswell as being an excellent coach . And it must also be pointed out with an aging squad he achieved a Leinster title and was unlucky not to reach the All Ireland while Dunne failed to deliver as manager of Oulart . Can anyone else think of any other viable candidates. I think if we are to appoint a new management team we must act quickly to give them time to have a look at our club championship games and give them plenty of time to plan for next season. I can't wait for next season as with the right management team aswell as the likes of Shore , Redmond , Foley, Tomkins, Ian Byrne and maybe Guiney back on board we are capable of achieving great things

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 07/08/2016 14:32:06    1897347

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Lads I think it's time Dunne left as in my opinion he has brought the team as far as he can. To be fair he has left us in a much better state than the Bonner era when we were close to relegation to the Christy Ring . We now have a group of players capable of competing with the best I think and I think appointing the right management team will maximise our potential.Apart from Sheedy and Daly there isn't many inter can't county proven managers out there at the moment. Maybe John Allen aswell. Flannery is the only option I can think of coaching in the county at the present time. People saying he lacks inter county experience but look everyone has to start somewhere . Speak to anyone in Oulart and they will tell you he has brought in an extremely professional set up aswell as being an excellent coach . And it must also be pointed out with an aging squad he achieved a Leinster title and was unlucky not to reach the All Ireland while Dunne failed to deliver as manager of Oulart . Can anyone else think of any other viable candidates. I think if we are to appoint a new management team we must act quickly to give them time to have a look at our club championship games and give them plenty of time to plan for next season. I can't wait for next season as with the right management team aswell as the likes of Shore , Redmond , Foley, Tomkins, Ian Byrne and maybe Guiney back on board we are capable of achieving great things"
Why do you think that Dunne could'nt do as good as any of them if he had all those players you listed back next year.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 07/08/2016 16:43:22    1897439

Link

Replying To gminor:  "Why do you think that Dunne could'nt do as good as any of them if he had all those players you listed back next year."
Your obsession with Dunne is tiring at this stage . Nobody can give their opinion on changing manager being the best course of action without you jumping on them straight away.

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 07/08/2016 20:37:17    1897601

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Your obsession with Dunne is tiring at this stage . Nobody can give their opinion on changing manager being the best course of action without you jumping on them straight away."
I've said before that the only reason I joined this forum was to give balance to the debate on whether Dunne should get another year or not. I happen to believe that he's the best man for the job at this stage and i won't apologise to anyone for holding that view. Am I not allowed to express that view here? You are allowed to debate your view, but don't try and badger me into not giving mine - freedom of speech and all that. Is this a forum, where the only view allowed, is to get rid of Liam Dunne?

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 07/08/2016 21:16:26    1897635

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Your obsession with Dunne is tiring at this stage . Nobody can give their opinion on changing manager being the best course of action without you jumping on them straight away."
I've looked at your post again and I really can't believe your reaction to a very simple question. I've no problem with your inability to stay focused, that's your problem, but what an over reaction to a very basic question. Just goes to show the tetchiness of the 'get rid of Dunne' crowd. It's their way or the highway.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 07/08/2016 21:45:08    1897665

Link

Replying To gminor:  "I've looked at your post again and I really can't believe your reaction to a very simple question. I've no problem with your inability to stay focused, that's your problem, but what an over reaction to a very basic question. Just goes to show the tetchiness of the 'get rid of Dunne' crowd. It's their way or the highway."
In answering your question from before players such as Foley Guiney and Ian Byrne choose not to be a part of the squad during the year so his man management skills are clearly not up to scratchI think with a better management team in place these players would be involved. I think Dunnes time is up 5 years is a long time and I think the squad would hugely benefit from a fresh set up. With all players back in the squad I think we have our best squad for at least 15 years. I think the next few years will see a decline of the dominance of Kilkenny and we have to be ready to take advantage of this in Leinster .

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 07/08/2016 22:14:36    1897692

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "In answering your question from before players such as Foley Guiney and Ian Byrne choose not to be a part of the squad during the year so his man management skills are clearly not up to scratchI think with a better management team in place these players would be involved. I think Dunnes time is up 5 years is a long time and I think the squad would hugely benefit from a fresh set up. With all players back in the squad I think we have our best squad for at least 15 years. I think the next few years will see a decline of the dominance of Kilkenny and we have to be ready to take advantage of this in Leinster ."
Yeah but the point can also be made that those players may decide to rejoin the squad under Dunne next year. As far as i know, all three player choose to leave, none of them were put off the panel by Liam Dunne. You also say that if we had the full panel, including those lads, (i'd agree but I'd go further back than 15 years) we'd have the best squad for at least 15 years; is that not down to the work of the manager? That's the very reason why in my opinion it would be only fair to keep the panel together and give Liam Dunne year to bring his plan to fruition.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 07/08/2016 22:40:49    1897714

Link

Afinestick - Foley didn't commit as it was his last year doing college exams, and he also didn't commit to the u 21 panel and was dropped as he wasn't training - this is not a 'Dunne' problem. Maybe it's a JJ problem too?

Guiney decided to opt out completely, went to america for the summer and hasn't returned to play for his club, maybe this is a Kevin Ryan problem too ?? Sure He couldn't commit and make the appropriate life style choices in 2015 either, so 2016 was just a continuation. I'm mystified why posters on this forum hold him to such high regards. His performances were hit and miss and he never really committed, so who knows what type of player he actually is. Now two years out of inter country level hurling, he might never come back.

Ian Byrne is emigrating to Dubai. None of these are Dunne problems, just guys who want to do something else or have other interests.

I would be far more interested in the guys who were injured and want to play, they are the guys who will strengthen the panel next year. They are the guys who want to hurl for Wexford.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 07/08/2016 22:50:25    1897719

Link

Mr Fox where is this mysterious quote from? 'Chin has stated the team were not fit enough going into the Dublin match. If a team are not fit they are not prepared properly. simple as.

No your argument is just 'simple as', no evidence for this, just your opinion. Bored of this debate now. Sure Chin was injured and didn't even play!

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 07/08/2016 22:52:26    1897721

Link

It's being said regularly that 5 years, without success, is long enough for a manager to be in place. I would agree if the manager took over a seasoned panel, but that hasn't been the case with Liam Dunne. With the exception of a few players he's had to rebuild a whole new squad and it's only when he gets all the injured players back, that he should be judged on his achievements or otherwise.

During that rebuilding program we beat big teams including the All Ireland Champs Clare, Cork, Offaly and Waterford. We saw how good a team Waterford are yesterday and we were well in the game against them two weeks ago (only 5 points down and playing with an injured Lee Chin) until the stoppage caused by Eoin Moore's injury. We had scored 5 points without reply in the second half and that stoppage allowed Waterford to regroup and go on and win the game.

The injury to Eoin, who was one of the leaders in the second half revival, was the straw that broke the camel's back from our perspective and seemed to knock the stuffing out of the team.

Considering the young panel was desimated with injury, even for the Dublin game, the County Board (if they had a genuine interest in the future of Wexford hurling, instead of politics) should be heaping praise on Liam Dunne and the panel for this years achievments and not conspiring to fire him, as i overheard a board member espousing at halftime in the Offaly game. Apart from financial, they have never supported the manager they originally appointed, not even at last year's AGM. They are now trawling around looking for a second rate manager as there's no way they'll get a high profile one because it's well known how the Wexford County Board have treated managers in the past.

It's a crazy situation that we want to get rid of a manager who has gained huge experience while working tirelessly to build a panel over the last five years and just when we're getting to the endgame, hand the whole shebang including the experience gained by the manager, over to someone with no intercounty managerial experience. Where else would you see it?????.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 08/08/2016 11:34:09    1897909

Link