Tipperary Forum

Senior Hurling 2012

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

tipp were very poor v kk. backs were under severe pressure cos the forwards couldn't get a hold of the ball at all. there is a shocking lack of pace in the forwards, not once did a tipp forward get away from the kk backs. dont think we have any forwards with huge pace on the bench either.

Donagh maher was good but like the saint, struggles for a good clearance at that level. he can only improve though & will!

semplestadium (Tipperary) - Posts: 146 - 28/02/2012 17:55:27    1119261

Link

Winning the waterford crystal is grand but performances will have to improve if tipp are to challange later on in the year for the big competitions and trophies

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 05/03/2012 16:39:17    1123150

Link

Well lads after largate, the trimming in Kilkenny, the spirited performance against Galway and the win against Waterford where are we at now?

As an eternal optimist I think we'll be ok this year. Fingers crossed Brendan maher will keep injury free. Really like the look of Shane Bourke. John O'Neill is starting to find his feet too.

Anyone a definite take on Adrian Ryan? I have seen enough of him myself to make any comment.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 23/03/2012 19:31:25    1135839

Link

killarney87, what would u class as being ok for d year?? personnally d stage tipp hurlin is at i.e 3 AI finals, few munsters n a couple of minors n an u21 in last bout 5 yrs i dont think there is an ok level. i think the team has to win the AI to class it anything other than a below par year. is another AI appearance any good if they dont win it?? kk swatted tipp away so easily in league it was frightening. any1 can make all d excuses they want but the one fact was that there is unbelievable improvement needed in performance, physicality, tactics etc. unfortunately i dont have your optimism killarney87 but i hope to Lar im wrong!

i think adrian ryan will be good but maybe not this year, i think its very rare young lads can just come n be championship players. look at o'neill, bourke, buggy they seemed to have improved alot from last yr so its only fair ryan is given the same time.

semplestadium (Tipperary) - Posts: 146 - 24/03/2012 09:46:18    1135966

Link

Sunday Semple Stadium 2-30pm
Cork (SH v Tipperary): D Óg Cusack; S O'Neill, S McDonnell, B Murphy; S Óg Ó hAilpín, E Cadogan, W Egan; L McLoughlin, D Sweetnam; C Lehane, P Cronin, C Naughton; J Coughlan, P O'Sullivan, P Horgan.

The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Cork in the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A at Semple Stadium on Sunday next shows 4 changes from the team which started in last weekend's drawn game with Dublin. Brendan Cummins, Paul Curran, Conor O'Mahony and John O'Brien all start in place of Darren Gleeson, Conor O'Brien, John Coghlan and John O'Neill.

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
2. Donagh Maher (Burgess)
3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone) Captain
4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
5. Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
6. Conor O'Mahony (Newport)
7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
8. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
9. James Woodlock (Drom and Inch)
10. Gearoid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
12. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)
13. Shane Bourke (JK Brackens)
14. Brian O'Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
15. John O'Brien (Toomevara)

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 30/03/2012 18:18:45    1140280

Link

We played hurling tactics that worked 50 years ago against Kilkenny and got our dues for playing that way. Since we changed back to 2010's hurling we look a much better side. We are scoring points for fun. The worry I'd have is that the goals have dried up but I would like to see Callanan play a roving full forward role similar to Lar when he comes back. We badly need the bonnar maher back too.

Dropping Shane Mcgrath seems to have gotten the desired results as he played well off the bench today. Shane Bourke and Donough Maher look like they are good enough for championship hurling. Tom Stapleton is a very good hurler but has no pace which is a shame. Brendan Maher looks like he is back to the form that made him young hurler of the year. Noel McGrath is slowly getting back into the groove but no panic cos we don't need him at full tilt until July/August. John O'Brien was excellent today.

New paragraph for this one cos he deserves a special mention. Pa Bourke has really improved this year which is very encouraging and fair play to him.

Obviously the aim is to win the all-ireland. I just think the team has gone through a lot since we won the all-ireland. We've lost Sheedy, O'Shea, Ryan, O'Neill, Fanning and Corbett. It took Sheedy et al 3 seasons to really figure it out. Ryan and Dunne are in year two now, I do have reservations about them but I think they are slowly improving.

When I look at players like Noel McGrath and the 3 Mahers (Brendan,Padraic,Patrick) I see 4 really good young hurlers but more importantly they are all leaders. I woulddn't swop them for anyone else outside Tipp of a similar age. We have a strong panel and that's why I am remaining optimistic.

Now for the fun bit. Kilkenny looked awesome today without Power and Sheflin and seem to have 3/4 new players that already look up to speed. They are without doubt the standard bearer but we mustn't let that scare us. We won't fear them if we meet them between now and the second Monday in September.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 01/04/2012 21:09:42    1141468

Link

Tipperary Team to play Cork in The National Hurling League Semi-Final this Sunday in Semple Stadium @ 4pm: Brendan Cummins, Conor O'Brien, Paudie Maher (Captain), Mickey Cahill, Tom Stapleton, Conor O'Mahony, David Young, Brendan Maher, James Woodlock, Gar Ryan, Noel McGrath, Pa Bourke, Shane Bourke, Buggy O'Meara, John O'Brien.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 19/04/2012 21:20:11    1156275

Link

Any updates on the injuries ? who is close to been back ?

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 20/04/2012 12:28:40    1156519

Link

Seamus Callnan is meant to back training. Rumour has it Eoin Kelly is flying in training and that Larry might be back later in the year, is meant to be a genuine reason why he left, but he will be back. As for curran and donagh maher they will deff be fit for championship. Not sure on Bonner Maher.

20carrolls (National) - Posts: 99 - 20/04/2012 15:37:42    1156685

Link

Heard the same about Kelly, suppose to be in the best form of his life up training. We need the Bonner back asap his work rate is unreal and been missed at the moment.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 20/04/2012 17:46:21    1156770

Link

We lost. Anyone at game able to report on who played well, who didnt, how we are set for the championship

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 22/04/2012 18:01:28    1157666

Link

bannerman, i know im back to this point again but this passin game is not workin for us n i dont think it will either come championship. half of our forwards were anonymous yesterday. s bourke, g ryan, j o'brien(expect last 15 mins where he won high DIRECT ball) were terrible. n mcgrath wasnt much bette either. how many times did we lose possession tryin to make a pass that wasnt on or wasnt needed. we need to let the ballin early n direct n start fightin for it again. our forwards like d 2 bourkes, gar ryan, mcgrath, o'neill, callanan are great hurlers n will get on breakin ball n should be least able to stop there markers winnin clean possession. buggy, john o n kelly are strong in the air. goal chances come fron breakin ball more often than not.

if we dont get more direct we are going backwards! kk, cork, galway n dublin would beat us in champ if we continue this!

semplestadium (Tipperary) - Posts: 146 - 23/04/2012 10:28:03    1157984

Link

who is the addition to the Tipp panel to be announced this week ? could it be Lar ?

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 29/04/2012 18:48:54    1162524

Link

Lookin at how KK is demolishing Cork. Does not bode well for championship. I kinda wished all those rumours were true and that a certain member of the Management team was gone especially after that person performance in the dressing room after the AI last year. The head gasket should have been blown BEFORE the match and NOT after.

I am not sure tthis Management crew know how to run a team of excellent players. Lettin Lar go was the biggest mess-up and they have to take responsibility for that when the championship is over for Tipp

Loyal tipp fan (Tipperary) - Posts: 52 - 06/05/2012 16:29:47    1166760

Link

agreed loyal, I am more hopeful than confident going into this years champo, think everyone has alot to prove. alot of serious question marks over management and players that have to be answered.

tipptothetop (Tipperary) - Posts: 531 - 06/05/2012 17:44:16    1166807

Link

Surely at a higher level must be keeping an eye on things? Surely somebody with a small bit of sense can go in there and say 'This is not on'?

Honest people are spending hard-earned cash (and money that people can no longer afford) to support the team. The team and Management need to recognise that fact and wake up and start 'smelling the coffee'.

Last night the panel have more or less written us off saying trouble in the camp etc.

If the Management don't sort this out, the county will miss a golden opportunity to add to the 2010 AI.

Loyal tipp fan (Tipperary) - Posts: 52 - 07/05/2012 18:38:52    1167363

Link

There is no real trouble in the Tipp camp, there was a meeting and some of the players were giving out that they had over trained in the weeks coming up to the semi with cork, which anyone could see that they were flat that day. The second issue was the new style of play that they are trying out a few of the players are having trouble adapting to it and they had a meeting where all this was aired, but people outside the camp have got bits and pieces of what happened and have add to it.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 07/05/2012 19:34:13    1167407

Link

Has there been any Injuries recently or updates on injured players as ive heard Paul Curran and Patrick Maher are back training and that Adrian Ryan is out of the munster championship

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 08/05/2012 11:33:02    1167631

Link

How do people think we'll do sunday week?
What will the 15 to start be? Will tipp win?

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 17/05/2012 15:55:32    1174520

Link

Skoda Tipperary GAA Supporters evening of 2012 wtakes place on Thursday at Ryan Motor Power Skoda dealership in Clonmel at 7.30pm.

Any idea why this is on in clonmel as surely it would be better if it was on in somewhere in the middle of the county and somewhere best suited for anyone from the county to attend.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 21/05/2012 13:36:06    1177122

Link