Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Best of Luck to Summerhill tomorrow in the Senior A Final. It would be a great one to win. Need to start winning more Connacht Finals. This team showed character winning the semi-final but have to show it tomorrow even more so and get over the line. You don't want to be in Connacht Final losing dressing room, performing on the day is all about expressing yourself and not holding back.

The game is in Charlestown at midday and Oceanfm for anyone not able to make it.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 06/03/2020 19:27:36    2272528

Link

I assume all GAA activities will have to cease in light of today's announcement.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 12/03/2020 12:08:14    2273538

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I assume all GAA activities will have to cease in light of today's announcement."
One can only imagine so. And what of club football?

If it continues in this light, i'd be surprised to see the league being played at all before championship.

Who knows?

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 57 - 12/03/2020 12:36:33    2273547

Link

Best of Luck to Adrian Marren in his retirement. Destroyed us on more than one occasion especially in 2015 was a smashing player on his day

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 641 - 01/10/2020 10:58:59    2295006

Link

for anyone that doesnt know, GaaGo is broadcasting the sligo vs carlow game online, i am unsure of the price, but probably 10€

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 43 - 15/10/2020 08:42:50    2297693

Link

5 euro for all games not on TV, the hurling is on GAAGO on sunday

MrWest91 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 15/10/2020 10:06:03    2297712

Link

Super excited to watch the Carlow game from abroad. Massive opportunity for Sligo if they can take advantage of it. I would say having watched the club championship we have some top-class players in terms of physical ability but like Waterford and Wicklow showed us not so much in mental expression and work rate. Why do teams and players hold back, well sometimes it can be down to being afraid to leave it all out there, to shake off the inhibitions and just go for it. This is notorious with Sligo Teams. Why does it happen? Because players are afraid of being judged negatively so hold back and hide. There will be a fair few more watching tomorrow from Sligo than would have traveled id imagine so hopefully the players can express themselves and let go as showing your physical ability can be exhilarating and liberating. Hopefully, the likes of O Connor, Gaughan, Red og, Lally etc... can bring the intensity and impose their will on the whole game rather than in and out. Carlow not so long ago were very good but dipped so will be no pushover tomorrow as they look to build themselves back up and Carew will look to get one over on us. Best of luck to all involved. Sligeach Abu.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 17/10/2020 04:32:16    2298269

Link

Our keeper, backs and midfield were a shambles so we can have no complaints. When you concede 2.17 you will not win a game. Another 12 months at least in Div 4

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 17/10/2020 18:44:11    2298464

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Our keeper, backs and midfield were a shambles so we can have no complaints. When you concede 2.17 you will not win a game. Another 12 months at least in Div 4"
Poor result but if Sligo had scored 2-18 they would have won even if Carlow scored 2-17.

letsgosligo (Sligo) - Posts: 68 - 17/10/2020 19:00:12    2298470

Link

Disappointing outcome for a game that we looked to have closed out with 10 left to go. Seems to be no killer instinct from this set up. Another year at least as has been said at Division 4. Not too many new faces from the club championship from what I could see although we didn't even get a look at a team panel before or after the game which was poor enough form. Only playing Limerick now for the craic next week. Surely County Board will be advertising a new job over the winter as no progress being made.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 17/10/2020 19:17:42    2298476

Link

Conceding 2:17 to carlow!!!wat will galway do!!!and the famous line ,there a young team,,,there young this last 50 years ,feel sorry for taylor ,it was a poison chalace before he took ,wont matter who the manager is ,the players just arnt there

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 164 - 17/10/2020 19:26:31    2298478

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Disappointing outcome for a game that we looked to have closed out with 10 left to go. Seems to be no killer instinct from this set up. Another year at least as has been said at Division 4. Not too many new faces from the club championship from what I could see although we didn't even get a look at a team panel before or after the game which was poor enough form. Only playing Limerick now for the craic next week. Surely County Board will be advertising a new job over the winter as no progress being made."
I got the team on Sligo Twitter page. Sean Murphy was new I think

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 17/10/2020 19:39:26    2298483

Link

I thought Carlow were very impressive and the game in terms of forward play was well above Division 4 standard. I thought Hughes, Carrabine, Gaughan and Red Og were outstanding throughout and maximised our limited scoring opportunities.

Carlows Dunphy, Broderick and Blake were simply unplayable at times.

It was hard not to feel for the players as they gave it everything and turn in a decent performance. Our issues were the keeper who did so much right but killed us on a few kick-outs and we were punished every time. Gave away an easy 1-3 imo that just can't happen even once as he would kick it out to a Carlow man with no Sligo man anywhere near him totally opening up our defence. I thought one or 2 of the backs are well out of their depth and I would say management need to look at themselves for leaving some lads in there so long.

We have major problems in ball-winning ability in midfield which everyone knows for years and I think is where I would have issue with coaching in Sligo, instead of trying to develop everyone as footballers maybe look at height and physicality first and then turn into footballers and look at it per position at underage. Another very noticeable feature of our defenders is lack of pace and this needs to change. We have problems with our defensive shape and reactiveness. We were in a winning position at 2-9 to 10 pts up and for some reason 2 Sligo defenders instead of showing Dunphy outside forced him inside and basically forced him in to a goal attempt. Unreal naive to not have the self awareness there. I don't know how many times Ive seen Sligo teams do it, stopping a point at all costs and end up forcing the goal attempt.

However all that being said I was impressed by our courage and Gordons and Red ogs goals were class, in the past Ive seen players take the easy option but Gordon had only one thing on his mind. Thats the kinda ruthlessness I love to see. Gaughan had another spectacular effort saved again great to see him going for it. Some of our moves and scores were top drawer. So many positives on the forward front. That Carlow performance has to be anomaly, no way we have come up against as good as that in Div4? I didnt see Cian Brehony, Sean Power, Keelan Cawley, Kyle Cawley or Cian Lally out there, all injured I presume? Everyone of them blessed with pace and you could see we were lacking that today. John Kelly big loss too. Thats 6 starters for me if Kyle comes back to himself.

Obviously promotion is gone but Galway coming up is going to tough, they have pace everywhere and its going to destroy us, we obviously wont be playing so open but I could see our kick outs under intense pressure.

I would say its unlikely Taylor survives this year, as it all comes back to losing at home Waterford has probably cost us promotion and its hard to be optimistic for Galway although those 5 missing flying and fit would help alot. Id be surprised if Carlow didnt beat Offaly and test Kildare. The Midfield and defence do need a lot of work. If we can stay within 5 points of Galway I'd take that. We are probably 3 or 4 years from being competitive in Connacht so we just need to build in terms of that timeframe.

6 forwards would be something like Lally, N Murphy, Gaughan, Red Og, Hughes, K Cawley if all fit no weakness there and options for kickouts. Those 6 would cause any team problems but just can we get them enough possesion.

Then Midfield Cian is a big loss for me, and Id have O Connor there for now but if we can find a Kieran Quinn type with pace we would be golden, any Mayo lads like Peter Naughton wanting to play with us. We have plenty of forwards but he looks very good.

Any chance of getting Vinny Cadden a job back in Sligo and getting him to commit for a few years. Wing back Carrabine and Power would be very good, GOKL good aswell but didnt stand out today. The rest I would need to see more of but did not look great today.

We wil do well win another Connacht Title within 10 years and that would be 23 yrs since the last one, where does the time go. But the thinking has to be long term now.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 18/10/2020 02:07:18    2298626

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "I thought Carlow were very impressive and the game in terms of forward play was well above Division 4 standard. I thought Hughes, Carrabine, Gaughan and Red Og were outstanding throughout and maximised our limited scoring opportunities.

Carlows Dunphy, Broderick and Blake were simply unplayable at times.

It was hard not to feel for the players as they gave it everything and turn in a decent performance. Our issues were the keeper who did so much right but killed us on a few kick-outs and we were punished every time. Gave away an easy 1-3 imo that just can't happen even once as he would kick it out to a Carlow man with no Sligo man anywhere near him totally opening up our defence. I thought one or 2 of the backs are well out of their depth and I would say management need to look at themselves for leaving some lads in there so long.

We have major problems in ball-winning ability in midfield which everyone knows for years and I think is where I would have issue with coaching in Sligo, instead of trying to develop everyone as footballers maybe look at height and physicality first and then turn into footballers and look at it per position at underage. Another very noticeable feature of our defenders is lack of pace and this needs to change. We have problems with our defensive shape and reactiveness. We were in a winning position at 2-9 to 10 pts up and for some reason 2 Sligo defenders instead of showing Dunphy outside forced him inside and basically forced him in to a goal attempt. Unreal naive to not have the self awareness there. I don't know how many times Ive seen Sligo teams do it, stopping a point at all costs and end up forcing the goal attempt.

However all that being said I was impressed by our courage and Gordons and Red ogs goals were class, in the past Ive seen players take the easy option but Gordon had only one thing on his mind. Thats the kinda ruthlessness I love to see. Gaughan had another spectacular effort saved again great to see him going for it. Some of our moves and scores were top drawer. So many positives on the forward front. That Carlow performance has to be anomaly, no way we have come up against as good as that in Div4? I didnt see Cian Brehony, Sean Power, Keelan Cawley, Kyle Cawley or Cian Lally out there, all injured I presume? Everyone of them blessed with pace and you could see we were lacking that today. John Kelly big loss too. Thats 6 starters for me if Kyle comes back to himself.

Obviously promotion is gone but Galway coming up is going to tough, they have pace everywhere and its going to destroy us, we obviously wont be playing so open but I could see our kick outs under intense pressure.

I would say its unlikely Taylor survives this year, as it all comes back to losing at home Waterford has probably cost us promotion and its hard to be optimistic for Galway although those 5 missing flying and fit would help alot. Id be surprised if Carlow didnt beat Offaly and test Kildare. The Midfield and defence do need a lot of work. If we can stay within 5 points of Galway I'd take that. We are probably 3 or 4 years from being competitive in Connacht so we just need to build in terms of that timeframe.

6 forwards would be something like Lally, N Murphy, Gaughan, Red Og, Hughes, K Cawley if all fit no weakness there and options for kickouts. Those 6 would cause any team problems but just can we get them enough possesion.

Then Midfield Cian is a big loss for me, and Id have O Connor there for now but if we can find a Kieran Quinn type with pace we would be golden, any Mayo lads like Peter Naughton wanting to play with us. We have plenty of forwards but he looks very good.

Any chance of getting Vinny Cadden a job back in Sligo and getting him to commit for a few years. Wing back Carrabine and Power would be very good, GOKL good aswell but didnt stand out today. The rest I would need to see more of but did not look great today.

We wil do well win another Connacht Title within 10 years and that would be 23 yrs since the last one, where does the time go. But the thinking has to be long term now."
I would have sympathy for any goalkeeper in this Sligo team. There is no ball winning midfielder and every opposition team knows this. Keeper has to try short kick outs to gain possession which are always fraught with danger when opposition is pushing up aggressively.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 282 - 18/10/2020 11:17:11    2298665

Link

3 r4 years away from been competitive in connacht ,you think carlow will lenister by your talk ,,the only game they l win ,will be against ,new york or londan at a struggle

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 164 - 18/10/2020 12:04:19    2298679

Link

Replying To Anto:  "I would have sympathy for any goalkeeper in this Sligo team. There is no ball winning midfielder and every opposition team knows this. Keeper has to try short kick outs to gain possession which are always fraught with danger when opposition is pushing up aggressively."
Anto I do have a lot of sympathies for any Goalkeeper with Sligo but I just watched Carlows 2nd goal again 3 Sligo players free after making good runs, 1 on the wing in 20 yards of space, one in front of the Carlow player and behind in about 15 yards of space, huge margin of error, the ball went straight to the Carlow player and 2 passes untouched into back of the net. Just can't happen. It has to go to the Sligo player on the wing. He impressed me so much in a lot of other moments and kick-outs, but it just can't have any lapses. Hopefully, he can sort that out because he could be very good.

Some of the defending was shocking as I watched it back too, basic positioning and in one on one some of defenders hadn't a clue where the Carlow forward was inside them or to the side (ball watching), switching off and then flapping and flaying around, some were totally lost, the management will be shocked at themselves for leaving some on there so long.

And Timmy I don't know what to say but to take that me saying Carlow can beat Offaly and put it up to Kildare is me saying they will win Leinster is about as nonsensical as it gets on here.

But again I would take more positives than negatives from the game as Carlow were very good and judging by reading their forum they were impressed with themselves. We have enough very good players to build a good team over the next few years so I wouldn't be overly negative and my first post was more positive but as usual the negative will get the focus. There is hope for the future imo.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 18/10/2020 18:56:16    2298852

Link

Hardly any positives to take away from today. Finish 6th in Division 4 one point ahead of a team that beat us at home. I'm afraid things have to change as this is as bad as it's ever been. Worst management Sligo has ever had needs to leave and try and get someone in who players will have confidence in. 3 wins in what 18/19 games is it? Presided over the biggest fall in Sligo county football that I can remember in 40 odd years of following them.

And I didn't even win the car in the club sligo draw to top it all off. At least we're spared the humiliation of a day out on the Salthill terraces.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 24/10/2020 15:55:37    2300771

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Hardly any positives to take away from today. Finish 6th in Division 4 one point ahead of a team that beat us at home. I'm afraid things have to change as this is as bad as it's ever been. Worst management Sligo has ever had needs to leave and try and get someone in who players will have confidence in. 3 wins in what 18/19 games is it? Presided over the biggest fall in Sligo county football that I can remember in 40 odd years of following them.

And I didn't even win the car in the club sligo draw to top it all off. At least we're spared the humiliation of a day out on the Salthill terraces."
The only positive that can be taken from this is that hopefully this is the last league game of the current management. An absolute shambles that has brought Sligo to its lowest level in my lifetime. Any new management will be an improvement. Unfortunately Taylor playing leagacy of his playing career has been tainted by this mess.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 282 - 24/10/2020 18:44:25    2300893

Link

Didn't bother watching it. Limerick knew if they won they were promoted, we had nothing to play for. We have one game left this year and I think that should be played before we start talking about the management.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 24/10/2020 18:44:31    2300894

Link

Time will tell if new managment will.slove the problem ,we lacking power all over the field out from hughes ,the crop thats there are the best in the county no doubt,but they wouldnt get there places on a good club team in the top countys simple as that ,where getting well bet by hurling county teams ,and this craic of saying we l be competitve in 3 r 4 years ,dream on ,club football is brutal ,and this famous "centre "of excellance ,that money would have be better spent on top coaches ,we were in the top 10-15 ,20 years ago ,,,bottom 3 now and will be there for a nice few years to come

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 164 - 24/10/2020 19:10:53    2300911

Link