Limerick Forum

Claughaun Demise

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sad to see Claughaun get such a beating in the Junior Hurling league, they really have fallen a long long way.

silentassassin (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 28/04/2019 22:29:34    2180734

Link

Replying To silentassassin:  "Sad to see Claughaun get such a beating in the Junior Hurling league, they really have fallen a long long way."
And no rock bottom in sight. Definitely some good work being done underage but it's not enough. The amount of work and money needed is huge. A whole raft of measures really...and it's a numbers game aswell. The kids just dont see Claughaun as an attractive place to spend their time. I'm not sure what can be done except full amalgamation with Old Christian's and St Patrick's . A new club is what I'd propose. No melding of identity, just a huge new club and power on.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 29/04/2019 10:45:29    2180766

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "And no rock bottom in sight. Definitely some good work being done underage but it's not enough. The amount of work and money needed is huge. A whole raft of measures really...and it's a numbers game aswell. The kids just dont see Claughaun as an attractive place to spend their time. I'm not sure what can be done except full amalgamation with Old Christian's and St Patrick's . A new club is what I'd propose. No melding of identity, just a huge new club and power on."
Sadly its the story across all four south side clubs , Old Christians have very little coming through , not sure about Ballinacurra , Pats are making some headway , but even if they all joined up I dont think you would see much improvement

bren222 (Limerick) - Posts: 110 - 29/04/2019 14:49:00    2180834

Link

St Patrick's have good numbers and have great potential with a number of good minors coming through. A lot of clubs found if difficult to work with Claughaun as they have a mentality they are still a big club and cant see it is long gone and may never come back. The amalgamation with Old Christian's was to keep them afloat but it backfired. It helped in Football allright where they gained a few and underage as Christian's have no football. They have one or two ok teams but these are all soccer lads who will eventually lose interest. Very worrying times indeed. St Patrick's have huge promise and Ballinacurra a small resurgence.

silentassassin (Limerick) - Posts: 103 - 29/04/2019 16:01:30    2180854

Link

Replying To silentassassin:  "St Patrick's have good numbers and have great potential with a number of good minors coming through. A lot of clubs found if difficult to work with Claughaun as they have a mentality they are still a big club and cant see it is long gone and may never come back. The amalgamation with Old Christian's was to keep them afloat but it backfired. It helped in Football allright where they gained a few and underage as Christian's have no football. They have one or two ok teams but these are all soccer lads who will eventually lose interest. Very worrying times indeed. St Patrick's have huge promise and Ballinacurra a small resurgence."
Claughan have been crumbling for years and are destined to fade away altogether over the next decade unless theres a drastic upturn in their fortunes (Mungret second team giving them a hiding at the weekend an indicator of where they're at, I predict they will go the same way as Old Christians). In fairness to St Pats they have done lots of work over the last few years and its great to see them with two on the minor panel this year. The worry for them is the age profile of their intermediate team and whether they can maintain intermediate status over the next few years and kick on. Lots of work being done by Ballinacurra underage but its really at mini's level as far as I'm aware - last I heard they a mile away from fielding an u14 group never mind an adult team. Old Christians are dead which is a disgrace given the population base they have - would love to see this getting focus from the county board but I wouldnt hold my breath..

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 30/04/2019 09:18:23    2180968

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Claughan have been crumbling for years and are destined to fade away altogether over the next decade unless theres a drastic upturn in their fortunes (Mungret second team giving them a hiding at the weekend an indicator of where they're at, I predict they will go the same way as Old Christians). In fairness to St Pats they have done lots of work over the last few years and its great to see them with two on the minor panel this year. The worry for them is the age profile of their intermediate team and whether they can maintain intermediate status over the next few years and kick on. Lots of work being done by Ballinacurra underage but its really at mini's level as far as I'm aware - last I heard they a mile away from fielding an u14 group never mind an adult team. Old Christians are dead which is a disgrace given the population base they have - would love to see this getting focus from the county board but I wouldnt hold my breath.."
If the County Board do not act promptly, long term we could be in serious trouble. Rural populations are declining and are set to do so at an ever increasing rate. Now, when in the full flow of this teams success, is the time to act, before it is too late.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2920 - 30/04/2019 11:30:21    2180998

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Claughan have been crumbling for years and are destined to fade away altogether over the next decade unless theres a drastic upturn in their fortunes (Mungret second team giving them a hiding at the weekend an indicator of where they're at, I predict they will go the same way as Old Christians). In fairness to St Pats they have done lots of work over the last few years and its great to see them with two on the minor panel this year. The worry for them is the age profile of their intermediate team and whether they can maintain intermediate status over the next few years and kick on. Lots of work being done by Ballinacurra underage but its really at mini's level as far as I'm aware - last I heard they a mile away from fielding an u14 group never mind an adult team. Old Christians are dead which is a disgrace given the population base they have - would love to see this getting focus from the county board but I wouldnt hold my breath.."
If the County Board do not act promptly, long term we could be in serious trouble. Rural populations are declining and are set to do so at an ever increasing rate. Now, when in the full flow of this teams success, is the time to act, before it is too late.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2920 - 30/04/2019 11:30:30    2180999

Link

its terrible to see the 4 clubs on the southside struggling. ballinacurra are making a push to get their underage back up at u10s down and hopefully they will ripe the rewards , the rest of their older players are out on permission transfer to south liberties at u14 & u15 hurling but how long will county board allow that to happen then other city clubs are struggling to field teams. Old Christians unfortunately are going nothing fast, no underage teams at all and how long will their junior hurling team last. st. pats & claughaun are also struggling with fielding hurling teams. since claughaun pulled away from southside gaels it will be the downfall to all the clubs and neither old christians nor st pats will probably ever go back near claughaun again in the future. bigger clubs will only get bigger.

sixofone (Limerick) - Posts: 209 - 30/04/2019 13:36:57    2181033

Link

Sad to hear Old Christian's are so poor. An all Hurling club aswell. It's down to administration and the lack of a voice at county board level. The fact of the matter is 90% of the county board would get lost travelling to old Christian's ,they are all from the country. Theres goodwill there but s total ignorance to push anything forward.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 30/04/2019 14:39:39    2181049

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Sad to hear Old Christian's are so poor. An all Hurling club aswell. It's down to administration and the lack of a voice at county board level. The fact of the matter is 90% of the county board would get lost travelling to old Christian's ,they are all from the country. Theres goodwill there but s total ignorance to push anything forward."
Most of the county board are only interested in their leaders club Kilmallock!

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 326 - 02/05/2019 19:29:51    2181525

Link

That's a fact. Kilmallock to Na Piarsaigh is some distance physically and mentally. There needs to be more top brass from.the city.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 06/05/2019 15:05:01    2182137

Link

From doing a bot of googling it seems to be that Galway and Waterford have the same problems in the inner cities. Maybe rather than waiting on rural centered county boards they should form a country wide think tank of city clubs. In comparison to other sports GAA is at a big disadvantage in Limerick in the sense that boards like rugby and soccer would have a lot of administrators with focus of and knowledge of the city. And a struggling city rugby club would be a big problem for their sport where as a city hurling club looks a drop in the ocean to some

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1131 - 06/05/2019 16:34:16    2182154

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "From doing a bot of googling it seems to be that Galway and Waterford have the same problems in the inner cities. Maybe rather than waiting on rural centered county boards they should form a country wide think tank of city clubs. In comparison to other sports GAA is at a big disadvantage in Limerick in the sense that boards like rugby and soccer would have a lot of administrators with focus of and knowledge of the city. And a struggling city rugby club would be a big problem for their sport where as a city hurling club looks a drop in the ocean to some"
Well Mount Sion, Ballygunner and De La Salle are three strong clubs in Waterford City.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2920 - 06/05/2019 19:07:52    2182177

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well Mount Sion, Ballygunner and De La Salle are three strong clubs in Waterford City."
You are right. I should have done more research on that one. I heard a bit of pub talk from some waterford lads but I would have no clue how reliable they are and I read a few articles mostly about Galway hurling that mentioned Waterford and Limerick but i should have been a bit more suspicious about it after I noticed they also mentioned problems in Cork which i thaught was a bit off.

Although i could be wrong abut Cork too. Its been a long time since I spoke to anyone involved in hurling at a club level outside of Limerick.

Anyway heres hoping something can be done to get these clubs driving on again

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1131 - 06/05/2019 23:20:14    2182202

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "You are right. I should have done more research on that one. I heard a bit of pub talk from some waterford lads but I would have no clue how reliable they are and I read a few articles mostly about Galway hurling that mentioned Waterford and Limerick but i should have been a bit more suspicious about it after I noticed they also mentioned problems in Cork which i thaught was a bit off.

Although i could be wrong abut Cork too. Its been a long time since I spoke to anyone involved in hurling at a club level outside of Limerick.

Anyway heres hoping something can be done to get these clubs driving on again"
All inner city clubs are struggling everywhere if ya ask me. In Cork, famous city clubs now have teams playing in the third grade in hurling and football. Its the clubs on the edge of the city who are now dominating underage, only a matter of time before it shows through at senior level.

ImokillyMan (Cork) - Posts: 218 - 07/05/2019 08:52:14    2182227

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well Mount Sion, Ballygunner and De La Salle are three strong clubs in Waterford City."
Roanmore is another one. In fact Waterford have often put out teams with 12 and 13 players from the city. The county has come on strong lately. I wouldn't compare Limerick city with either Waterford or Galway. Waterford have no rugby except for Waterpark. They have junior soccer but not the serious competition that rugby brings
Galway city is not a sporting city..Lia. Mellows have done the place proud lately and they have Salthill Knocknacarra but after that it's just Newcastle and maybe one more poor club. They have 2 poor enough rugby clubs in Galwegians and Corinthians who are improving nnd some good junior soccer teams but that's it...Its cut throat competition in Limerick for young athletes

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 07/05/2019 13:50:39    2182286

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Roanmore is another one. In fact Waterford have often put out teams with 12 and 13 players from the city. The county has come on strong lately. I wouldn't compare Limerick city with either Waterford or Galway. Waterford have no rugby except for Waterpark. They have junior soccer but not the serious competition that rugby brings
Galway city is not a sporting city..Lia. Mellows have done the place proud lately and they have Salthill Knocknacarra but after that it's just Newcastle and maybe one more poor club. They have 2 poor enough rugby clubs in Galwegians and Corinthians who are improving nnd some good junior soccer teams but that's it...Its cut throat competition in Limerick for young athletes"
Soccer and rugby do seem to have done a much better job embedding thwmseves in communities in the city. Can think of alot more schools and pubs where soccer or rugby teams are king compared to hurling but that might just be my personal experience.

As for getting kids playing surely now is as good a chance as we have had in years. Munster aint bad but they dont look like fortunes will improve anytime soon and as for the FAI and international soocer things have never looked this bad in my lifetime

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1131 - 07/05/2019 17:00:20    2182338

Link

Interesting reading, and hearing different points of view. From stories I have been told back in the 50's and 60's any up coming young hurler, coming from the County into CBS was "strongly" encourage to transfer and play with Old Christians, who I'm told were senior at the time, and if you wanted to make a limerick minor etc. panel, then Christians was the club to join. Fast forward a decade and Claughan take over, with players coming from Caherdavin to play with Claughan and make it to Limerick Teams Eventually after many years of numerous County Under Age successes NaP made the Snr break through, after holding onto their under age stars, instead of them moving across town to Claughan.
Looking at the South Side Gaels, it looks like it was based around a very good U16 team, now U18/U21 with a number of county panelist from Claughan & St Pats, but possibly not much coming up behind.
City clubs, like county clubs their fortunes fluctuate, County clubs have a "parish" and appear to be able to last out the "lean years" a bit better.
As for Ballinacurra and players, apparently, the better guys from their U14 are now with Mungret and NaP, with the remainder going out to Liberties.
With NaP county Feile champions, a team of parishes by all accounts, players from St Pats, Fedamore & Liberties plying their trade.
For St Pats, it sounds like their better footballers go to Monaleen, and Hurlers to NaP.
Maybe that is more the issue for city GAA clubs, "common catchment area", and movement of better players to the stronger clubs, draining St Pats, Claughan, Old Christians and Ballinacurra Gaels of their better players, around whom they are trying to build a team.
Not sure what the solution is, or will all 4 city clubs be able to get along and play as 1 club "South Side Gaels"
I know I have quoted specific examples, and no doubt there are examples to contradict some of what I have said/assumed. Sometimes it is not as simple as we think. Their is supposed to be a "County Board" solution in the pipe line for County Convention 2019. No movement of players outside their division. That will stop Ballinacurra/Liberties, and also Crecora/Fedamore/Ballybricken, not sure if there are any East/South or South/West permissions/amalgamations. I think a bigger issue is Mungret, Monaleen & NaP getting players from different city clubs playing with them. St Pats already lost their best hurler to NaP from their U14 team this year, and are playing 13 a-side in Div 3 at U14. Hard to blame the player, he is now Feile A winner, we would all love that

38yearsawaiting (Limerick) - Posts: 58 - 08/05/2019 17:33:25    2182556

Link

The inter transfer of players is just a small thing and Iv no problem with it. Rugby players change club many times throughout their career in Limerick depending on opportunities and levels. Rather than base a plan around blocking kids going where they want,they should get more players playing.
The beat talent in the city dont play hurling. That's a fact. They player rugby or soccer. And that's what they need to focus on aswell. That's why we need a new super club with a distinct ethos of excellence and all the frills. Blazers ,academies ect. You need to meet fire with fire in competing for kids.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 10/05/2019 19:09:55    2182995

Link

This is a very interesting debate, that is so relevant for the survival of Gaelic games in urban areas, particularly as the whole country becomes more urbanised. A lot depends on our priorities:
1) Do we want an elite "super club" on the South and East of the city that will eventually rival Na Piarsaigh and win county and provincial titles?
or 2) Do we want as many young boys and girls as possible in the city playing hurling, football (and handball)?

I don't think we can have both

football first (None) - Posts: 1227 - 11/05/2019 12:32:44    2183087

Link