Leitrim Forum

Minor Championship Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

St.Manchans vs Gortletteragh/Fenagh final... whats yer predictions ?

NoneOfThatCraic (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 08/09/2012 11:24:19    1261988

Link

think mohill might pull through. they were up against a very young ballinamore team last night & still showed excellent football allround. from madden in full back to conboy in centre back were excellent all through the game and even pushed forward to get their own scores with madden scoring 2 and mcgrory his marker scoring 1? funny i think.. and then canning in midfield was just brilliant,his catching of a ball is nothing ive seen in underage for a long long time maybe since his brothers time and ofcourse gordon , beirne and substitute beirne were on fire for mohill! gordons tracking back and work ethic was just unreal and the beirne combination in full forward was out of this world! this team will be hard stopped!
outsider

leitrimman1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 08/09/2012 17:37:36    1262148

Link

you would have to say st. manchans to win i think!

Leitrim12 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 08/09/2012 18:47:07    1262193

Link

i would think that the mohill cloone eslin amalgamation was a good idea i watched the second half from the high bank and i saw some good football long passes high catches goals and chances they dominated the part that i viewed

rossy1980 (Leitrim) - Posts: 46 - 08/09/2012 19:12:59    1262208

Link

Went to the minor game last night and was dissapointed with the ballinamore, team they were outplayed in every position.And when you looked at the subs bench ballinamore had 4 subs mohill had 12.So one question is why do you need 3 clubs to amalgamate to beat one,it is no good for football.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 08/09/2012 20:55:05    1262257

Link

i tend to agree with you on 1 point saintly mohill should be well able to field a minor 15 a side team and i wouldnt object to cloone and eslin going down the road of joining up, another VALID point is take the eslin players from that minor team and what scoring forwards have you?.

rossy1980 (Leitrim) - Posts: 46 - 08/09/2012 21:36:27    1262280

Link

Eslin are in the parish of Mohill and have been playing together underage for atleast the last 30 years so why only complain now ?... Scoring forwards without eslin ? Keith Beirne scored 1-09 against Ballinamore ?

GAAMAN4LIFE (Leitrim) - Posts: 29 - 09/09/2012 11:20:33    1262346

Link

agree with gaaman4life! eslin have no underage structure and dont plan on having one any anytime soon they might not even have one team in a few years. eslin players, actualy correction they are mohill players and also the *one* cloone lad on thestarting team with maybe one,two on the bench? they are all mohill players until they reach the age of where they can decide to go back to their adult club. if you have any objection with this cloone lad playing why didnt you or the club you come from object to it when the motion was being placed? one cloone lad isnt going to be the differnence to winning or losing a game? and yes, without the likes of niall beirne, joe stenson mohill would have still beat ballinamore off the field! mohill did not let ballinamore play football and that showed on the scoreline.

leitrimman1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 09/09/2012 12:28:34    1262368

Link

i find it funny that theres going to be 5 different clubs represented in this years minor final compared with last years when only 2 clubs were represented,something must be done,its not fair to ask small clubs like drumkeerin who had the best team in this years minor championship to compete with all these ridiculous amalgamations.

leitrim101 (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 09/09/2012 12:51:47    1262379

Link

went 2 the game on friday evening , manchans controlled the whole game . ballinamore were very poor and certainly did not play to their ability , should be an interesting final and gortletteragh/fenagh will be hard handled . as for the amalgamation ? theres 2 eslin 1 cloone player as far as i know on the manchans team . saintly said about manchans having 12 on theyre bench , im sure gortletteragh/fenagh wud have much the same with theyre amalgamation ?

leitrimdbest (Leitrim) - Posts: 15 - 09/09/2012 13:10:53    1262387

Link

the mohill team is not really an amlagamation the cloone lad had no team to play with so they asked mohill and they were allowed to join the club eslin have no underage teams so where else would they play. gort/fenagh only have about 5 subs and the reason for the join was so the lads could play some proper football. should be a very tight final though

gaasham (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 09/09/2012 21:25:55    1262817

Link

Agree with Gaasham on that one !

GAAMAN4LIFE (Leitrim) - Posts: 29 - 09/09/2012 21:52:56    1262837

Link

Mohill and Eslin have always (bar few years in the early noughties) played together underage so I don't see it as an amalgamation. It is one parish, one national school etc. All the other amalgamations are two parishes joined up as opposed to two teams in the one parish. It''s a pity that Mohill / Eslin can't agree to stay together at Senior level would be some team.

Incidentally only 2 of the starting 15 are from Eslin. A couple of years back when St. Manchans won the U21 the team was evenly split with 7 Eslin and 8 mohill. I personally feel these 9 a side and 11 a side competitions are rubbish and by 17 and 18 years of age all players should be playing 15 a side games. This was proposed by Bord na Nog two years ago but rejected by many rural clubs who hang on to these 9 a side and 11 a side competitions to the detriment of the game. They have to look at the bigger picture.

JimMorrisson (Leitrim) - Posts: 309 - 10/09/2012 10:56:34    1262971

Link

Fully agree with the previous two posters. 9 and 11 aside games a complete joke. In the Ballinamore - manachans semi-final Manachans had only one 15year old playing whereas Ballinamore had four or five. In the stronger counties minors play minor, u16's play u16 and down along the line. Lads play at their level and can develop at their age.
As far as amalgamations are concerned, are they such a bad thing ?? The constant refrain from Ballinamore is that "we are playing three clubs". Rubbish. It is 15 against 15 and until we (the whole county included) realise that the person you are marking is only flesh and bone and that you are as good as him we will win nothing.
Finally i wish both Fenagh/Gortl and Manachans all the best inn Minor final. I bet the Fenagh/Gort lads would rather be there than playing a non event 9 a side final on a wet wednesday evening in front of 100 people ???

june68 (Leitrim) - Posts: 68 - 10/09/2012 12:44:14    1263094

Link

i played 9 and 11 a side and it is a joke every team should be 15 a side i have a 9 a side minor medal and its worthless

clubs that wont field a 15 a side with their neighbours have alot to answer for and so does their board

it denies an upcoming player the chanc to progress to senior level football with the confidence that he can score a point from 30-50 yards out field from play

without having a 3 2 3 formation where if any forward gets a ball he runs at the goal keeper and scores a goal

i played games where 15 goals were scored and no points by each team in my eyes thats soccer with handballs being allowed

the motion that wasnt passed was stopped by a number of individuals who THINK they have pull but they are a dying breed who never kicked a ball in their life

and in the next few months /years when people from the ages of 20 to 45 former players are elected in as chairs and and boards in clubs the famine that we talk about will keel over along with these individuals

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 10/09/2012 13:11:00    1263130

Link

Jim I think a few eslins would disagree with them being in the "one" parish. So is glenfarne and kinlough, ballinamore and aughnasheelin the one parish then? If they want to join up so be it but it doesnt serve either club any good when seniors comes along. Does gortlettragh even border fenagh?..

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 10/09/2012 15:13:26    1263313

Link

Jim eslin alway had underage teams up until about 5 years ago!

Leitrim12 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 10/09/2012 18:19:18    1263535

Link

Eslin formed there first underage team in the 90's and had been playing with Mohill up until that. Underage in Eslin ran up until 2007.

GAAMAN4LIFE (Leitrim) - Posts: 29 - 10/09/2012 21:50:58    1263757

Link

fresherman- I think you're the only one disagreeing. Mohill, Eslin and Gorvagh is one parish - fact.

Leitrim12: Eslin did not always have underage teams and when they have it's been the exception rather than the rule. Manachans is not a new name or creation. In the 80's the team was drawn from Mohill, Gorvagh and Eslin and was known as Mohill in Minor league and Manachans in Championship.

So enough of the rubbish talk.

As for the game it was brilliant in patches with most of the good football played by Gortlettragh / Fenagh. If they had brought their scoring boots they would have had the cup. Manachans forward line never got going. The long ball into Chesty didn't reap as much dividend as it should. He definitely should have had a penalty 5 mins from the end with the full back all over him. Keith Beirne took the goal from the free kick very well. Manachans got out of jail and it should be a great replay.

JimMorrisson (Leitrim) - Posts: 309 - 08/10/2012 12:11:41    1279865

Link

Manachans inability on the line to make changes cost them. They were being beaten all over the field in the first 20 minutes and what do they do ? Take the corner forward off. Just like all bad managers, replace the corner forward. One sub used until injury time. But then how could they when they were the far side of the pitch from the subs !! There were at least 3 other class subs to be used. Darren Keegan Ronan Gordon and Jamie Stenson should all have been used. All on Leitrim U15 team. Surely when things are not working you change them. The chesty tactic badly misfired. A more running based game should have been used. Should be a good replay. Wonder when it will be ? Any ideas

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 08/10/2012 15:58:19    1280056

Link