Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galwayXI:  "Just wondering , does anyone know how referees are assigned to matches ? Is it right that ref can be calling players by nicknames in matches ? Like they know must know them fairly well to be calling them by their nicknames ? Surely some decisions are biased lead"
Gaa community is small. There are some players who would know most referees particularly if they come from families heavily involved in the GAA.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 20/08/2020 11:36:42    2288378

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Agree. Was at a match at weekend where ref has strong connections with one club. I dont think he intended to be biased., but he interpreted all of the marginal calls ( and 1 or 2 not so marginal) in the same direction. I think its only natural , hence refs need to be selected with independence."
An itermediate first round game- referee and lines man were from a club who was in the same group as the two teams particapating in the game they were officiating. Second round game of same group. Referee who was officiating was best mates and living with one of the players of one the teams that was playing

WillieWarrior (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 20/08/2020 11:40:18    2288379

Link

I don't think the referee was reason KC bet Williamstown by 12/13 points ....

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 20/08/2020 18:31:31    2288445

Link

By Jesus, this SFC is one dull competition. You play as far as you can, before you eventually get a hiding from Corofin. Rinse and repeat. Who actually cares?

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 20/08/2020 20:05:45    2288457

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "By Jesus, this SFC is one dull competition. You play as far as you can, before you eventually get a hiding from Corofin. Rinse and repeat. Who actually cares?"
I suppose you think it should be cancelled so. Cancel the allireland too because of dublins dominance. Cancel formula 1 too because of lewis hamilton. This is sport. The day will come when hamilton , dublin and corofin will be beaten. It might not be this year but the intrigue is watching others tring to achieve.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 140 - 20/08/2020 21:22:33    2288470

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "By Jesus, this SFC is one dull competition. You play as far as you can, before you eventually get a hiding from Corofin. Rinse and repeat. Who actually cares?"
I'm delighted it's back. Yes I wish there wasnt such a clear winner but even the first half of corofin v oughterard was entertaining

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1315 - 20/08/2020 22:02:34    2288474

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I suppose you think it should be cancelled so. Cancel the allireland too because of dublins dominance. Cancel formula 1 too because of lewis hamilton. This is sport. The day will come when hamilton , dublin and corofin will be beaten. It might not be this year but the intrigue is watching others tring to achieve."
Who said anything about cancelling? I said it's beyond dull, which it is. Trying to portray it as otherwise is ridiculous.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 20/08/2020 23:28:25    2288487

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Who said anything about cancelling? I said it's beyond dull, which it is. Trying to portray it as otherwise is ridiculous."
Jeez, you must be mad craic at a party.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 749 - 21/08/2020 12:00:03    2288521

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Who said anything about cancelling? I said it's beyond dull, which it is. Trying to portray it as otherwise is ridiculous."
Some of the games last week were super. Milltown vs James, annaghdown vs moycullen., monivea vs oughterard. Nothing wrong with the championship. Corofin have had their greatest challenge in Galway over the last 3 years. Talk to any of the players they enjoy it. Look at any county championship and you will see the same in terms of dominant teams etc.

Nogoal (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 21/08/2020 12:07:20    2288524

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Jeez, you must be mad craic at a party."
Better craic than this snooze fest anyway.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 21/08/2020 13:37:39    2288548

Link

Replying To Nogoal:  "Some of the games last week were super. Milltown vs James, annaghdown vs moycullen., monivea vs oughterard. Nothing wrong with the championship. Corofin have had their greatest challenge in Galway over the last 3 years. Talk to any of the players they enjoy it. Look at any county championship and you will see the same in terms of dominant teams etc."
Challenges games can be super, doesn't mean they are worth anything though. It's a pointless exercise. Corofin are so far ahead of the rest and will be for a long, long time to come. It doesn't matter if Moycullen produce swashbuckling football every day they take to the field, because when they play Corofin they'll get trounced. Plain and simple.

No, you wouldn't see this in almost any county championship. They're about to win eight in a row ffs, you can dress it up however you like but it's pure boring.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 21/08/2020 13:40:30    2288550

Link

the All Ireland club for the last while a waste of time so is it? Corofin have had it tougher in Galway than in the all ireland series

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 21/08/2020 13:46:24    2288551

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Challenges games can be super, doesn't mean they are worth anything though. It's a pointless exercise. Corofin are so far ahead of the rest and will be for a long, long time to come. It doesn't matter if Moycullen produce swashbuckling football every day they take to the field, because when they play Corofin they'll get trounced. Plain and simple.

No, you wouldn't see this in almost any county championship. They're about to win eight in a row ffs, you can dress it up however you like but it's pure boring."
So you're basically saying that no game matters, unless those teams have a good chance of winning the championship outright. There have been some cracking games so far in the championship. All of these games are pointless in your opinion as these teams won't beat Corofin.
You might as well write off pretty much every game in every sport as meaningless in that case, as only a very small handful have a chance of actually winning the title.
Ignoring the fact that Corofin came extremely close to losing their title in the last 2 campaigns.
Corofin are the best club team in Ireland. They're a shining example of how to bring players through to senior level and I'm delighted that they're from Galway. However, they can be caught out on any given day.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 955 - 21/08/2020 16:36:34    2288573

Link

Replying To galway6:  "the All Ireland club for the last while a waste of time so is it? Corofin have had it tougher in Galway than in the all ireland series"
Bit of a difference between 3-in-a-row and not suffering a single defeat in eight years I'd have thought. The club All-Ireland is literally less than half if you fancy attempting to use a calculator.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 21/08/2020 17:38:35    2288579

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "So you're basically saying that no game matters, unless those teams have a good chance of winning the championship outright. There have been some cracking games so far in the championship. All of these games are pointless in your opinion as these teams won't beat Corofin.
You might as well write off pretty much every game in every sport as meaningless in that case, as only a very small handful have a chance of actually winning the title.
Ignoring the fact that Corofin came extremely close to losing their title in the last 2 campaigns.
Corofin are the best club team in Ireland. They're a shining example of how to bring players through to senior level and I'm delighted that they're from Galway. However, they can be caught out on any given day."
Well outside of relegation, no, they don't matter. As I said already, you can have cracking games in challenges too, doesn't make the overall competition any less dull. At least in the hurling, there is promotion to Senior A from Senior B and some tangible reason for playing.

How is writing off every game in sport the same as this? Christ above. Very few teams have this level of dominance in any sport and if they do, the games are rightfully referred to as boring. Well put it this way, is the Scottish PL interesting do you think?

Extremely close, but didn't lose. They haven't lost a game in Galway for eight bloody years. They can be caught? When? They haven't been caught in nearly a decade so spare me the rhetoric. Rubbish competition.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 66 - 21/08/2020 17:41:34    2288582

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Well outside of relegation, no, they don't matter. As I said already, you can have cracking games in challenges too, doesn't make the overall competition any less dull. At least in the hurling, there is promotion to Senior A from Senior B and some tangible reason for playing.

How is writing off every game in sport the same as this? Christ above. Very few teams have this level of dominance in any sport and if they do, the games are rightfully referred to as boring. Well put it this way, is the Scottish PL interesting do you think?

Extremely close, but didn't lose. They haven't lost a game in Galway for eight bloody years. They can be caught? When? They haven't been caught in nearly a decade so spare me the rhetoric. Rubbish competition."
I'm not a fortune teller unfortunately, so I don't know when they'll be beaten. I'd be on to a few bob if I did. The fact that they were perilously close to losing in last year's final means they can of course be beaten. Tuam were 2 points ahead in injury time and with a bit of composure would have won. That's not rhetoric but fact, and clearly evidence that they can of course be beaten. That was a Tuam team who had struggled past An Spidéal in the quarter-final.
I can tell you that every game mattered to them in reaching the quarters in their first year senior for 20 years. Barna's progress this year in almost certianly reaching the quarters after having not won a non-relegation match for a good few years definitely matters to them.
It matters to the people from these parishes and those who've helped out at any point with underage teams. You're fixated on the eventual winner only. Plenty more happens during the course of a championship for many teams.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 955 - 22/08/2020 01:02:18    2288628

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "I'm not a fortune teller unfortunately, so I don't know when they'll be beaten. I'd be on to a few bob if I did. The fact that they were perilously close to losing in last year's final means they can of course be beaten. Tuam were 2 points ahead in injury time and with a bit of composure would have won. That's not rhetoric but fact, and clearly evidence that they can of course be beaten. That was a Tuam team who had struggled past An Spidéal in the quarter-final.
I can tell you that every game mattered to them in reaching the quarters in their first year senior for 20 years. Barna's progress this year in almost certianly reaching the quarters after having not won a non-relegation match for a good few years definitely matters to them.
It matters to the people from these parishes and those who've helped out at any point with underage teams. You're fixated on the eventual winner only. Plenty more happens during the course of a championship for many teams."
Well said. Every time a club team goes out regardless of the grade and the likely outcome, it matters.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 22/08/2020 10:55:34    2288638

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Well outside of relegation, no, they don't matter. As I said already, you can have cracking games in challenges too, doesn't make the overall competition any less dull. At least in the hurling, there is promotion to Senior A from Senior B and some tangible reason for playing.

Extremely close, but didn't lose. They haven't lost a game in Galway for eight bloody years. They can be caught? When? They haven't been caught in nearly a decade so spare me the rhetoric. Rubbish competition."
As someone centrally involved with a team let me tell you every game counts and matters. You can't control what corofin though only what you can do yourself. I'm proud of my club and don't see as a slight at any level that we have a exceptional team dominating at present. Clubs will catch up and we can be thankful to corofin for setting such a high standard. I enjoy the hurling so I won't be negative - I do believe there are at least 8 to many senior teams and as a result intermediate is weaker but again for anyone playing it they play what's in front of you. Sick of all the negativity- enjoy the game and respect the clubs involved

Nogoal (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 22/08/2020 20:56:24    2288694

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "I'm not a fortune teller unfortunately, so I don't know when they'll be beaten. I'd be on to a few bob if I did. The fact that they were perilously close to losing in last year's final means they can of course be beaten. Tuam were 2 points ahead in injury time and with a bit of composure would have won. That's not rhetoric but fact, and clearly evidence that they can of course be beaten. That was a Tuam team who had struggled past An Spidéal in the quarter-final.
It matters to the people from these parishes and those who've helped out at any point with underage teams. You're fixated on the eventual winner only. Plenty more happens during the course of a championship for many teams."
Well said !

galway4life (Galway) - Posts: 179 - 23/08/2020 15:17:27    2288749

Link

Like many of the follow up posts to this, I think you may be missing the point on what is important. The beauty of the Gaa, unlike the Scottish PL is its amateur ethos. I think you have fallen I to the Sky sports hyping competitions and winning is everything nonsense. It might be a cliche but every game matters as you are playing for your parish, not for money. Yes Corofin may be way out ahead, but every club team has a different goal, for some it might be the outcome of a local rivalry, getting as far into the championship as possible or watching how a new crop of underage lads step up

There have been some very good games in the championship this year especially considering the restrictions on preperation. Try telling Monivea Abbey and Oughterard the result last weekend didn't matter as they didn't push Corofin or the comeback Glenamaddy made to get a draw. You will get a swift reply from them I imagine.

TwoYellowCards (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 23/08/2020 22:44:59    2288833

Link