Donegal Forum

Championship Format

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Does anyone know what the story is with promotion and relegation from championships is this year? I hear other counties aren't having any promotion and relegation between championships but what have we decided and if there is relegation how is that going to work?

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 08/08/2020 23:31:45    2286924

Link

Replying To DL_Man:  "Does anyone know what the story is with promotion and relegation from championships is this year? I hear other counties aren't having any promotion and relegation between championships but what have we decided and if there is relegation how is that going to work?"
This year with new format bottom 4 teams fight it out to see who gets relegated. Termon and Killybegs and Milford are in big trouble now after losing first two games. Dungloe Ardara and four masters could join them tomorrow. The draw tomorrow night will be vital.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 08/08/2020 23:59:27    2286933

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "This year with new format bottom 4 teams fight it out to see who gets relegated. Termon and Killybegs and Milford are in big trouble now after losing first two games. Dungloe Ardara and four masters could join them tomorrow. The draw tomorrow night will be vital."
Dungloe v Four Masters on Saturday morning is a serious relegation battle. Game has to be treated as must win by both teams as they don't know round 4 opponents, though severe pressure on Dungloe to get past Four Masters as it looks unlikely that they could pick up points against any of the teams below bar Killybegs on current form. To tell the truth, a draw would really suit both teams...

Round 4 opponents for both teams as below:
An Clochán Liath home to one of Naomh Conaill, Realt na Meara, Naomh Micheál, Cill Ceartha, Na Cealla Beaga.
Four Masters away to An Tearmainn, Gleann Fhinne, Baile na nGalloglach, Ard an Ratha, Naomh Adhamhnáin.

One saving grace for Dungloe is that, so far, they've avoided any big guns, and their points difference will likely be the best of any teams potentially finishing on 2 or 0 points, so they could potentially be rewarded with a home relegation play-off.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 13/08/2020 14:22:39    2287432

Link

No often I do this but huge kudos to the CCCC on a fantastically radical format which has turned out to be quite exciting meaning every club will have something to play for even in the last round owing to score difference etc.

A big well done to the clubs who have streamed games which is most beneficial for their club members who cannot attend or are abroad.

Disappointing that some clubs are refusing to agree to the games being streamed in the fear it might give away some competitive advantage to other clubs who might be watching as is the case with one intermediate club.

Sad to see that this is the case.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 44 - 13/08/2020 15:14:13    2287438

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "No often I do this but huge kudos to the CCCC on a fantastically radical format which has turned out to be quite exciting meaning every club will have something to play for even in the last round owing to score difference etc.

A big well done to the clubs who have streamed games which is most beneficial for their club members who cannot attend or are abroad.

Disappointing that some clubs are refusing to agree to the games being streamed in the fear it might give away some competitive advantage to other clubs who might be watching as is the case with one intermediate club.

Sad to see that this is the case."
Agree, great format and loads of championship games for club players in Donegal. I heard Killybegs won't let there games be streamed either in case anyone studies what they are at.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 13/08/2020 17:14:49    2287448

Link

Although the new format has been exciting, I do think that it's unfair that all teams are being put on the same table while playing a different set of teams. You only have to look at the intermediate championship where one pool is far stronger than the other to see where this causes problems.

On the topic of games being streamed, it's always been the rule that both teams have to agree for a game to be recorded. I would imagine this rule is in place so that the club doing the recording doesn't have the advantage of having access to the footage after the game. When both parties have to be made aware, this allows clubs to make agreements on sharing the footage. This doesn't really apply to the current scenario where games are being broadcast on the Internet and I think it's a bit juvenile for any team to think they have that much to hide. On a side note, going by killybegs performances so far, they're probably afraid people would see how bad they really are.

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 13/08/2020 19:54:13    2287460

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Agree, great format and loads of championship games for club players in Donegal. I heard Killybegs won't let there games be streamed either in case anyone studies what they are at."
I watched the stream of their match with Gaoth Dobhair and they've little to be worried about.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7111 - 13/08/2020 20:05:25    2287463

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Agree, great format and loads of championship games for club players in Donegal. I heard Killybegs won't let there games be streamed either in case anyone studies what they are at."
Hi Ryan:. A bad tanking for Killybegs last week in Gweedore. Looked like a team low on morale. I expected a lot more from them this year. What did Máirtin beag say a few years ago about Rory having the best football brain etc.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 13/08/2020 21:38:26    2287473

Link

Hi Ryan:. A bad tanking for Killybegs last week in Gweedore. Looked like a team low on morale. I expected a lot more from them this year. What did Máirtin beag say a few years ago about Rory having the best football brain etc

The worrying thing from their game last weekend is that GD hardly got out of third gear so that will tell you have far off they are off the top sides.

Their biggest issue is that they (since their last title in 1996) have carried around 'illusions of grandeur' with them even 24 years later! The difference between themselves and Glenfin in the first round in Fintra was stark. Glenfin, an honest team with no egos, got stuck in and played a lovely brand of football and the gap was a lot more than the 6 point winning margin suggested.

On a final note it's interesting how you never see or hear much of Glenties/Kilcar/GD (bar the obvious one!) players constantly talking on social media or podcasts or the likes. Probably too busy training and perfecting their craft. Maybe therein lies the lesson...

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 44 - 14/08/2020 12:43:36    2287522

Link

Replying To DL_Man:  "Although the new format has been exciting, I do think that it's unfair that all teams are being put on the same table while playing a different set of teams. You only have to look at the intermediate championship where one pool is far stronger than the other to see where this causes problems.

On the topic of games being streamed, it's always been the rule that both teams have to agree for a game to be recorded. I would imagine this rule is in place so that the club doing the recording doesn't have the advantage of having access to the footage after the game. When both parties have to be made aware, this allows clubs to make agreements on sharing the footage. This doesn't really apply to the current scenario where games are being broadcast on the Internet and I think it's a bit juvenile for any team to think they have that much to hide. On a side note, going by killybegs performances so far, they're probably afraid people would see how bad they really are."
Though both teams don't have to agree on a game being recorded. Neither team has any say on whether TG4 or Donegal Democrat or other media partners of Donegal GAA can record their matches. Obviously though, it has been the case that teams can refuse to allow a stream.

I'm not sure where the precedent of both teams needing to reach an agreement on streaming was set. Barring possibly the implications of a 17-year old being a member of the teams squad, I don't know what gives any club the right of refusal here.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 14/08/2020 14:22:33    2287543

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Though both teams don't have to agree on a game being recorded. Neither team has any say on whether TG4 or Donegal Democrat or other media partners of Donegal GAA can record their matches. Obviously though, it has been the case that teams can refuse to allow a stream.

I'm not sure where the precedent of both teams needing to reach an agreement on streaming was set. Barring possibly the implications of a 17-year old being a member of the teams squad, I don't know what gives any club the right of refusal here."
Time to get real and have a proper graded championship a straight knockout like Tyrone.Its embarrasing watching sides being hammered out the gate.Not one senior game this weekend would match the games in Tyrone.

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 16/08/2020 11:57:12    2287738

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Time to get real and have a proper graded championship a straight knockout like Tyrone.Its embarrasing watching sides being hammered out the gate.Not one senior game this weekend would match the games in Tyrone."
I can't see it changing for the foreseeable future. Make no mistake there's a huge gap between the top four and the rest. Kilcar to there credit are doing well for a small catchment area but in a few years they will find it hard because with there population they won't have the conveyor belt coming through. It's no coincidence that the other three Gaoth Dobhair ,st eunans. And Naomh Conal have big populations and have dominated underage football, so the three are going to get even stronger.. but when I was growing up those three were no great shakes. Football them days were dominated by the south west teams who apart from kilcar have all regressed. It's very hard to see any of them teams getting to a position where they could challenge in the forseable future. In my mind the biggest challenge to clubs is keeping there players at home, emigration has ruined all the smaller clubs. Very seldom you hear of a player leaving the big clubs but it's rife in all the clubs bar the top four.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 16/08/2020 14:13:09    2287759

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Hi Ryan:. A bad tanking for Killybegs last week in Gweedore. Looked like a team low on morale. I expected a lot more from them this year. What did Máirtin beag say a few years ago about Rory having the best football brain etc

The worrying thing from their game last weekend is that GD hardly got out of third gear so that will tell you have far off they are off the top sides.

Their biggest issue is that they (since their last title in 1996) have carried around 'illusions of grandeur' with them even 24 years later! The difference between themselves and Glenfin in the first round in Fintra was stark. Glenfin, an honest team with no egos, got stuck in and played a lovely brand of football and the gap was a lot more than the 6 point winning margin suggested.

On a final note it's interesting how you never see or hear much of Glenties/Kilcar/GD (bar the obvious one!) players constantly talking on social media or podcasts or the likes. Probably too busy training and perfecting their craft. Maybe therein lies the lesson..."
Can't agree with you there, I'd say Mark McHugh, Kevin Cassidy and Eamonn McGee are the 3 footballers in Donegal who are most often in papers, radio, and social media.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 396 - 16/08/2020 15:18:44    2287767

Link

Replying To HEREBENJI:  "Can't agree with you there, I'd say Mark McHugh, Kevin Cassidy and Eamonn McGee are the 3 footballers in Donegal who are most often in papers, radio, and social media."
That wasn't my point, those lads can back it up as well. It's when you have a Killybegs reserve player (former Eunans reserve player) on giving their two cents. Very rarely would you hear Glenties players or see them interviewed.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 44 - 17/08/2020 07:33:12    2287828

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Time to get real and have a proper graded championship a straight knockout like Tyrone.Its embarrasing watching sides being hammered out the gate.Not one senior game this weekend would match the games in Tyrone."
Don't agree. Competitive championship bar the top 4. Top 4 can beat each other and any of the other teams can beat each other on a given day. By making it knockout it means players and teams get less games. If glenties draw Milford over two legs the score gap could be 50 points. Or if Termon draw Kilcar for example. 2 legs/straight knockout isn't going to make average teams excellent. And by average I mean bar the top 4.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 17/08/2020 10:28:05    2287848

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "That wasn't my point, those lads can back it up as well. It's when you have a Killybegs reserve player (former Eunans reserve player) on giving their two cents. Very rarely would you hear Glenties players or see them interviewed."
Hi peileadoir20:. I have heard Dermot Molloy being interviewed twice now in the last 3 weeks by Highland Radio. On both occasions he made no secret of the fact that Naomh Conaill 's aim this year is to win back to back county titles, that's what is driving them on. It would be historic for their club, never done before. They're certainly heading in the right direction.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 17/08/2020 10:32:52    2287849

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "That wasn't my point, those lads can back it up as well. It's when you have a Killybegs reserve player (former Eunans reserve player) on giving their two cents. Very rarely would you hear Glenties players or see them interviewed."
So Reserve players are not allowed to Express their opinions, is that it?

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 396 - 17/08/2020 11:04:04    2287856

Link

Replying To HEREBENJI:  "So Reserve players are not allowed to Express their opinions, is that it?"
If they can back it up they can.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 44 - 17/08/2020 13:34:04    2287891

Link

Has there been any details announced of the streaming of games for this weekend?

I know there was whisperings of it last week, but nothing concrete has been announced since which is strange as we are only three days out.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 44 - 02/09/2020 17:54:44    2290259

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Has there been any details announced of the streaming of games for this weekend?

I know there was whisperings of it last week, but nothing concrete has been announced since which is strange as we are only three days out."
True. I thought the steam was decent for the Eunans St M game although the picture quality was no better than anything you'd see from an individual club which was disappointing.

In this current climate we can't complain.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 03/09/2020 00:09:16    2290310

Link