Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The hoodoo strikes again, given the count up the road and the restrictions game should have been moved or swapped. Not much hiding places from the elements for those not in the stands. The stewards were then denying access to people not in the stand to that area denying some people including young children and elderly people shelter from the elements just because they had no arrived early enough. Never seen this here before and given the record maybe it is time to move away from there permanently.

On the game played a decent first half especially going in with a lead. Then started the second half really well and to lose the game from that position was inexcusable. Galway got through all too easily esp the second goal. Thought Jamie Brennan was causing Galway chaos but not as effective in the second half with Murphy pushed up further forward. Then to compound it missed two very scoreable frees. In defense of the lads the breeze in the second half was neither consistent in strength and direction. Still think we will stay up no problem but further down the line I would have apprehensions esp getting beyond the super eights group.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 09/02/2020 21:35:16    2266594

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "The hoodoo strikes again, given the count up the road and the restrictions game should have been moved or swapped. Not much hiding places from the elements for those not in the stands. The stewards were then denying access to people not in the stand to that area denying some people including young children and elderly people shelter from the elements just because they had no arrived early enough. Never seen this here before and given the record maybe it is time to move away from there permanently.

On the game played a decent first half especially going in with a lead. Then started the second half really well and to lose the game from that position was inexcusable. Galway got through all too easily esp the second goal. Thought Jamie Brennan was causing Galway chaos but not as effective in the second half with Murphy pushed up further forward. Then to compound it missed two very scoreable frees. In defense of the lads the breeze in the second half was neither consistent in strength and direction. Still think we will stay up no problem but further down the line I would have apprehensions esp getting beyond the super eights group."
I agree with ya totally. I thought today with the conditions it wasn't conducive to an open game but we lacked a connection between our half forward line to full forward line. We went sidewards a lot in that second half (Paul Brennan was guilty of this a lot) and we didn't move quickly enough from defence to attack. It's hard for Murphy and Brennan in there if we move it slowly. I was very disappointed in Niall o donnell today as well. Hopefully our injury state begins to clear up soon. With Jason McGee and Hugh in midfield we could push langan and Thompson(midfield in second half) into half forward line which might help with that link between the two lines. Thought Thompson was excellent in that second half however.

cowsinthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 63 - 09/02/2020 22:12:08    2266610

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "The hoodoo strikes again, given the count up the road and the restrictions game should have been moved or swapped. Not much hiding places from the elements for those not in the stands. The stewards were then denying access to people not in the stand to that area denying some people including young children and elderly people shelter from the elements just because they had no arrived early enough. Never seen this here before and given the record maybe it is time to move away from there permanently.

On the game played a decent first half especially going in with a lead. Then started the second half really well and to lose the game from that position was inexcusable. Galway got through all too easily esp the second goal. Thought Jamie Brennan was causing Galway chaos but not as effective in the second half with Murphy pushed up further forward. Then to compound it missed two very scoreable frees. In defense of the lads the breeze in the second half was neither consistent in strength and direction. Still think we will stay up no problem but further down the line I would have apprehensions esp getting beyond the super eights group."
There was still places in the stand when they closed entry, that's frustrating though you do know that you have to be early to guarantee a seat. In fairness the pitch was in really good shape considering the rain. Edendork was horrible in comparison. I agree with your other points although I've a feeling about the league. At the very least we should have two more points. The leaky centre of our defence has been a challenge for too long.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 09/02/2020 22:47:56    2266627

Link

Very disappointing result. Once we went 7 up we should have seen it out. We let Galway in for two goals which came from runners not being tracked. We can't do that in this division. One thing I think this game showed up is, is the importance of Hugh Mc fadden to the team. Anyway it's all to play for We need at least 3 more points to have any chance of staying up. In my own eyes it's going to be difficult the fixtures are not easy even a draw yesterday would have been a good result. Hopefully paddy and daire will be fine for the Dublin match and that we'll get a strong team out.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 10/02/2020 07:03:48    2266663

Link

I didn't get to the game yesterday so I'm only going by what I've read and the brief highlights I've seen.

A very disappointing result given the position we were in early second half.

I don't think it's stretching things to say we should be on 6 points at this stage and Div 1 status secured. Is it the case that we've become too nice? Both Mayo and Galway have run through the middle of our defense far too easily and result changing goals have resulted.

Kerry and Dublin away are very daunting away trips obviously. But if we can beat Monaghan and Tyrone we'll be comfortable. The league is so competitive though that nothing can be taken for granted.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 10/02/2020 07:21:27    2266665

Link

I am sorry lads but I have changed my mind. I really thought Donegal were serious all Ireland contenders but unfortunately there's a soft underbelly to this current team. I don't know where it's coming from but I do know one thing. This losing leads wouldn't happen under mcGuinness time. This team I think has no bottle under Delcan I am afraid.

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 10/02/2020 07:43:42    2266668

Link

Its a worry alright but no panic yet. I Think adding Mc Menamin and O Baoil will help our defensive worries. I see he's playing half forward essentially this year which is an interesting one. I can see the idea, turn him into a Stephen O Brien type player. Can't see Mc Grath being fit for championship.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 10/02/2020 09:39:41    2266692

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "I am sorry lads but I have changed my mind. I really thought Donegal were serious all Ireland contenders but unfortunately there's a soft underbelly to this current team. I don't know where it's coming from but I do know one thing. This losing leads wouldn't happen under mcGuinness time. This team I think has no bottle under Delcan I am afraid."
100% , we are picking too many small players and our style of play is terrible "over and back" . I have said it time and time again Declan is a lovely guy and his team plays exactly like that as well .

without all the home games we have no chance of staying up , I was hoping to see murphy , McGee rested in the league but sadly murphy is carry us more than ever .

ballyshannon (Donegal) - Posts: 152 - 10/02/2020 09:47:47    2266695

Link

Thought that was a really disjointed performance and unforgivable to throw away a 7 point lead. Our shooting has become very poor, we must be missing over 50% of our chances. Up until the Super 8 game with Mayo last year, our score taking had been excellent. I don't think its sustainable to have Paul Brennan (who had a decent game) and Eoin McHugh in the half forward line as they don't score. On the plus side, we are creating good goal chances.

Ryan McHugh and Ciaran Thompson had very good games but the rest of the team were below their usual performance levels. We really miss Hughie in that holding role around the centre back area, he is good at securing that area. Our attacking is far too lateral and backwards, for long periods in the second half we refused to kick long to MM and Jamie Brennan, even with a wind advantage.

I honestly feel we would lose to the Kilkenny football team (if they had one) in Letterkenny. This result puts pressure o nus to beat Tyrone and Monaghan at home. I think its important not to overreact to this performance as its a league game in February. I still think we will have a good championship and we do have a lot of players missing.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 10/02/2020 10:14:07    2266707

Link

Very strange league. I think we are in a relegation battle now, but overall we are playing very well. Have gotten into good winning positions against Mayo and Galway but threw it away with very poor defending. Hopefully the lesson will be learned. Beat Tyrone and Monaghan at home now and we should still be fine, but a lot of pressure on those games now

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 10/02/2020 10:42:36    2266723

Link

tell me something were is young Cunningham from Killybegs he is a fine forward - strong , good hands, young Mulgrew was fine footballer strong as well , why aren't we picking these lads .

we are playing a handicap style of football because we are picking lads that cant "man" their own positions .

Young Campbell could go to the edge of square and give us a physical presence , I agree we have plenty to work with but the style and the soft belly attitude needs to addressed urgently .

ballyshannon (Donegal) - Posts: 152 - 10/02/2020 10:44:11    2266724

Link

A few posters seem to be getting a bit carried away by the result in a negative sense. I agree that it is disappointing to have thrown away leads in both home games so far this year but it's early February. If mistakes are to be made surely now is the time to be making them. The management team will be learning plenty about the players they are using and whether you agree or not the league is about developing a few new players to add to the championship panel. Injuries have derailed us the last two years so we need to add more depth to the squad and I think we're trying to do that. I still think we'll do enough to stay up and I won't be getting to carried away with any result this time of the year, a positive or negative one. I'm looking forward to our next game as it's always good to get a run out in Croke Park and I think we'll give a good account of ourselves.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 10/02/2020 10:46:32    2266725

Link

The bad finishing which seemed to start against Mayo in the super 8,s is continuing so far this year.Eight points last week and seven yesterday is not great.It is interesting that Murphy has not scored from play in 3 games apart from a mark yesterday.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 10/02/2020 11:18:32    2266738

Link

Replying To ballyshannon:  "tell me something were is young Cunningham from Killybegs he is a fine forward - strong , good hands, young Mulgrew was fine footballer strong as well , why aren't we picking these lads .

we are playing a handicap style of football because we are picking lads that cant "man" their own positions .

Young Campbell could go to the edge of square and give us a physical presence , I agree we have plenty to work with but the style and the soft belly attitude needs to addressed urgently ."
Are you serious or are you a wind up merchant.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 10/02/2020 11:29:15    2266741

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Are you serious or are you a wind up merchant."
whats the problem ?

ballyshannon (Donegal) - Posts: 152 - 10/02/2020 11:35:56    2266743

Link

Replying To gunman:  "The bad finishing which seemed to start against Mayo in the super 8,s is continuing so far this year.Eight points last week and seven yesterday is not great.It is interesting that Murphy has not scored from play in 3 games apart from a mark yesterday."
This is my worry as well, our point taking has gone downhill. Granted it was difficult weather conditions yesterday and we did get 19 points against Mayo but we have kicked some amount of wides in the 3 league games so far. We do have Patrick McBrearty and Oisin Gallen to come back, surely both those lads would give us 4/5 points from play each game between them.

Important not to get too negative about yesterday, just a league game in February. I believe we will tighten up at the back when we have McMenamin and McGrath back and Hugh McFadden in midfield.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 10/02/2020 12:01:26    2266759

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "This is my worry as well, our point taking has gone downhill. Granted it was difficult weather conditions yesterday and we did get 19 points against Mayo but we have kicked some amount of wides in the 3 league games so far. We do have Patrick McBrearty and Oisin Gallen to come back, surely both those lads would give us 4/5 points from play each game between them.

Important not to get too negative about yesterday, just a league game in February. I believe we will tighten up at the back when we have McMenamin and McGrath back and Hugh McFadden in midfield."
That is it it is the league so important not to get too high or too low. In that type of game Hugh McFadden was a big loss as no way Galway would get that second goal similar sentiments regarding the Mayo goal at the death a couple of weeks ago. However the players on the field should have the nous to leave their man if not in a dangerous position to confront the runner...he got in far too easily. You have to commend Galway too especially their last couple of points which were excellent scores in those conditions judging the conditions perfectly which let us down in that second half. I think Michael by his high standards will be disappointed with his second half as gave away some needless ball including one pass straight into Galway hands. Again he nails that free at the end off the ground in my opinion. We have players to come back but if we want to progress this year we will need that bit of dog and mental toughness which is a question over this team. Even our younger players had great success in Ulster but sometimes lacked that mental toughness to come back in big games out of the province. As pointed out players like Eoin McHugh need to show a bit more. He has scorching pace and should be using it to his advantage more. To me it seems a confidence thing.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 10/02/2020 12:49:11    2266767

Link

Afew weeks ago i think i called for 6pts from the first 3 games as vital, cudda and shudda got 6 but here we are sitting on 3 and instead of looking towards a league final (and top of the table yesterday had we won), we are now in a dogfight for relegation maybe with Monaghan. There is no doubt that for sure we will have to beat them in Ballyshannon in the 2nd last game. They have Meath at home last, whilst we go to a place we have never won- Kerry.

2 home wins will see off relegation you would think but that is far from guaranteed.

What is slightly mislead about the table at present is that we have already picked up what could be termed a banker 2pts against Meath. There are 4 other sides who will all fancy themselves to also take those points whereas 3 of our remaining 4 games are against the toughest 3 sides you can probably face in the country- all building by the week towards championship mode.

We have left ourselves with unnecessary hard work after coughing up 3pts from strong winning positions.

Ive said before about the league, its never so much about ' this year' we will get our hardened preparation for championship in 2020 no bother. Its where you leave yourself for next year by going down. We cant be playing Fermanagh, Cavan, Laois and Westmeath this time next year if we are serious about going beyond the super 8.

We all accept- we have to establish ourselves year in year out as a Div 1 side. And we are struggling again with that by the looks of things, whilst self inflicting problems by playing home games across 3 venues.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 10/02/2020 13:12:40    2266772

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Afew weeks ago i think i called for 6pts from the first 3 games as vital, cudda and shudda got 6 but here we are sitting on 3 and instead of looking towards a league final (and top of the table yesterday had we won), we are now in a dogfight for relegation maybe with Monaghan. There is no doubt that for sure we will have to beat them in Ballyshannon in the 2nd last game. They have Meath at home last, whilst we go to a place we have never won- Kerry.

2 home wins will see off relegation you would think but that is far from guaranteed.

What is slightly mislead about the table at present is that we have already picked up what could be termed a banker 2pts against Meath. There are 4 other sides who will all fancy themselves to also take those points whereas 3 of our remaining 4 games are against the toughest 3 sides you can probably face in the country- all building by the week towards championship mode.

We have left ourselves with unnecessary hard work after coughing up 3pts from strong winning positions.

Ive said before about the league, its never so much about ' this year' we will get our hardened preparation for championship in 2020 no bother. Its where you leave yourself for next year by going down. We cant be playing Fermanagh, Cavan, Laois and Westmeath this time next year if we are serious about going beyond the super 8.

We all accept- we have to establish ourselves year in year out as a Div 1 side. And we are struggling again with that by the looks of things, whilst self inflicting problems by playing home games across 3 venues."
We definitely have won on Kerry soil before , Donegal did beat Kerry in Tralee on our first visit to Division 1 back in the 80's under Tom Conaghan, as regards to playing games across 3 venues we have excellent records in Ballybofey and Ballyshannon for whatever reason, we don't seem to be able to beat anyone in Letterkenny. Dublin were the last team to win Ballyshannon back in 2009 i think.

It is vital we retain our Div one status if we are to continue to develop this team. We are now in Bonner's third year at the helm and the only team of note we have beaten in a big game was Tyrone in last years Ulster Semi-Final, it could be argued that we should be beating all the other teams we have beaten in that time. This isn't a slight on Bonner who I believe is a massive upgrade on RG, would never want us to go back to them days, but it is imperative we get the super 8's this year whether that it is through the back door or the front if we want to improve.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 10/02/2020 13:30:35    2266783

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "We definitely have won on Kerry soil before , Donegal did beat Kerry in Tralee on our first visit to Division 1 back in the 80's under Tom Conaghan, as regards to playing games across 3 venues we have excellent records in Ballybofey and Ballyshannon for whatever reason, we don't seem to be able to beat anyone in Letterkenny. Dublin were the last team to win Ballyshannon back in 2009 i think.

It is vital we retain our Div one status if we are to continue to develop this team. We are now in Bonner's third year at the helm and the only team of note we have beaten in a big game was Tyrone in last years Ulster Semi-Final, it could be argued that we should be beating all the other teams we have beaten in that time. This isn't a slight on Bonner who I believe is a massive upgrade on RG, would never want us to go back to them days, but it is imperative we get the super 8's this year whether that it is through the back door or the front if we want to improve."
Don't foresee us not getting to the super eights. However with Dublin and Kerry probably in one group prefer to be Ulster champions and be in the opposite group.

Completely agree that staying in Division 1 is imperative Manus and no doubt about should be sitting on 5 or 6 points. The way the Division is no teams are safe. Obviously Kerry and Dublin have games with Meath which puts them in a strong position. The team to go down with Meath could be any of the remainder. From what I have seen Mayo are struggling for form and be looking over their shoulders. Monaghan look to be quite forward in their preparations so might not have as much room for improvement as others. I think if Donegal had player Dublin in the first 3 games I would be confident they might have got a result. Still prefer to play them next rather than later in the league. We can definitely give them a close game but the home games will be the crucial ones.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 10/02/2020 15:28:14    2266825

Link