Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So just a week out from the resumption a huge few weeks coming up. We're down to play Tyrone next Sunday at 4 with the game live on tg4 . Tg4 are also showing the Galway v Mayo game at 2.. with Mayo needing to win there last two games I'm sure both the Donegal and Tyrone management team will be keeping a close eye on it. Will a Galway win see a few late withdrawals in both camps as both will be safe. But a Mayo win will make it a must win for both teams. Interesting few weeks ahead.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 11/10/2020 10:28:41    2296765

Link

It is going to be an interesting few weeks ahead. The way things are going with the virus it could be difficult to play these games. From a selfish point of view I hope the games can go ahead but understand if they cant. Wouldn't it be great to be able to watch Mayo v Galway and Donegal v Tyrone next Sunday, it would give us all something to look forward to?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 11/10/2020 12:03:23    2296782

Link

Seriously, how can this game even be considered to be played when we have our county final sitting in limbo? The mind boggles. Two counties riddled with covid coming together. I'm selfish too and as an NC man want to see final concluded. Completely unfair on the non county playing players that still have to train. My opinion, but if our club showpiece can't be played, either should this.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 230 - 11/10/2020 18:59:20    2296852

Link

If results went right for donegal next weekend Wundt be surprised to see them pulling a sickie
The following Saturday instead of traveling to Kerry for a half one kick off, especially the week before ur
Biggest game of the season to date.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 11/10/2020 20:07:18    2296864

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "Seriously, how can this game even be considered to be played when we have our county final sitting in limbo? The mind boggles. Two counties riddled with covid coming together. I'm selfish too and as an NC man want to see final concluded. Completely unfair on the non county playing players that still have to train. My opinion, but if our club showpiece can't be played, either should this."
"rolling eyes emoji"

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 14/10/2020 14:30:58    2297566

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "Seriously, how can this game even be considered to be played when we have our county final sitting in limbo? The mind boggles. Two counties riddled with covid coming together. I'm selfish too and as an NC man want to see final concluded. Completely unfair on the non county playing players that still have to train. My opinion, but if our club showpiece can't be played, either should this."
I do feel sorry for both Naomh Chonaill and Kilcar but the club championship should have been done and dusted before the county team started back collective training. They had two months plus to play the club championship. The GAA made it clear that that county training was due to start in mid-September, would it not have made sense to have the club final completed by then? The negativity towards the county team is astounding.

I really hope the inter-county games can go ahead and give us something to watch on TV. Judging by what has happened in Fermanagh, it is going to be difficult.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 14/10/2020 19:07:42    2297627

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I do feel sorry for both Naomh Chonaill and Kilcar but the club championship should have been done and dusted before the county team started back collective training. They had two months plus to play the club championship. The GAA made it clear that that county training was due to start in mid-September, would it not have made sense to have the club final completed by then? The negativity towards the county team is astounding.

I really hope the inter-county games can go ahead and give us something to watch on TV. Judging by what has happened in Fermanagh, it is going to be difficult."
It's certainly not the 2 clubs fault that it hasn't been played. Circumstances dictated that. Blame the people who make the fixtures in the county. And I'm also pretty sure the county lads were training together before mid September. Personally I'm a club 1st man and I'm still speechless that game is going ahead this weekend especially after new restrictions yesterday. Call this negative but we wouldn't have a county team if we hadn't club.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 230 - 15/10/2020 08:38:00    2297692

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "It's certainly not the 2 clubs fault that it hasn't been played. Circumstances dictated that. Blame the people who make the fixtures in the county. And I'm also pretty sure the county lads were training together before mid September. Personally I'm a club 1st man and I'm still speechless that game is going ahead this weekend especially after new restrictions yesterday. Call this negative but we wouldn't have a county team if we hadn't club."
Agree with your sentiments regarding how disappointing it is that final hasn't been played and definitely no fault of the teams involved. Hopefully they can get the game played before the end of the year. My thoughts on club v county is that you can support both equally, one shouldn't be put ahead of the other. The GAA set out the calendar that clubs had exclusive access to players and most counties finished their club championship.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 15/10/2020 09:32:57    2297698

Link

Folks with Donegal moving to Level 4 does that mean the game is called off this weekend?

It is mad to me that we seem to be ploughing ahead with the case numbers in our part of the world in particular.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 15/10/2020 09:41:50    2297701

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Folks with Donegal moving to Level 4 does that mean the game is called off this weekend?

It is mad to me that we seem to be ploughing ahead with the case numbers in our part of the world in particular."
As far as I know inter-county is considered as an elite sport so would even continue if we were moved to level 5. It does beg the question though if it is sensible to continue with games. I would love the games to go ahead, give us something to look forward to. However I would completely understand if they cannot.

What are posters thoughts on this - should the inter-county season go ahead?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 15/10/2020 10:59:57    2297728

Link

Assuming the Tyrone game goes ahead this weekend is there any news on injuries?
I see Ryan McHugh has intimated that Donegal will be going all out for the win to ensure Div 1 status.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 15/10/2020 11:57:17    2297753

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Assuming the Tyrone game goes ahead this weekend is there any news on injuries?
I see Ryan McHugh has intimated that Donegal will be going all out for the win to ensure Div 1 status."
Conor Morrison the only notable omission that I can see, Paddy McGrath, Jason McGee, Oisin Gallen all available. Anyone know if Stephen McMenamin is back or not?

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 15/10/2020 22:14:41    2297906

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "As far as I know inter-county is considered as an elite sport so would even continue if we were moved to level 5. It does beg the question though if it is sensible to continue with games. I would love the games to go ahead, give us something to look forward to. However I would completely understand if they cannot.

What are posters thoughts on this - should the inter-county season go ahead?"
I'm very uncomfortable with it going ahead if cases continue to spiral as they are doing, but I really hope it can because I think we could all do with it.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 16/10/2020 10:34:56    2297965

Link

Replying To greatpoint:  "Conor Morrison the only notable omission that I can see, Paddy McGrath, Jason McGee, Oisin Gallen all available. Anyone know if Stephen McMenamin is back or not?"
Very hard to get any info from the camp. Which in a way is probably a good thing. With the tight schedule any injuries now it could be troublesome because it's only two weeks to c ship.. hopefully we'll have a clean bill of health. To secure 1 st division safety and a run in the championship we need like all the other teams a good run with injuries because squads will be stretched to the limit.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 16/10/2020 10:52:19    2297971

Link

Any predictions for the starting line up? Thinking that it will be something like this assuming no injuries.

Patton

Paddy McGrath
Neil McGee
Stephen McMenamin

Eoghan Ban
Daire O'Baoil
Ryan McHugh

Hugh McFadden
Michael Langan

Ciaran Thompson
Michael Murphy
Niall O'Donnell

Paddy McBrearty
Oisin Gallen
Jamie Brennan

I haven't picked Jason McGee as he had a lengthy absence and McFadden-Ferry is also a possible starter.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 18/10/2020 11:22:33    2298670

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Any predictions for the starting line up? Thinking that it will be something like this assuming no injuries.

Patton

Paddy McGrath
Neil McGee
Stephen McMenamin

Eoghan Ban
Daire O'Baoil
Ryan McHugh

Hugh McFadden
Michael Langan

Ciaran Thompson
Michael Murphy
Niall O'Donnell

Paddy McBrearty
Oisin Gallen
Jamie Brennan

I haven't picked Jason McGee as he had a lengthy absence and McFadden-Ferry is also a possible starter."
I think Stephen Mc Menamin might be injured but hopefully he's recovered as we are low on natural defenders in the squad.
Mc Fadden Ferry is apparently heading to the Lebanon with the army so not sure if he'll be having much game time.
I know there is a lot of negativity around at present but I'm delighted the football is back. Hope all players and managements get through without picking up C19.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 18/10/2020 13:06:57    2298696

Link

Well done lads good composed performance two cracking goals. Safe now so be interesting the team that faces Kerry. Will bonner rest players or will he go strong . With Tyrone Sunday week nobody knows. Paddy I hear should be there or thereabouts for championship. But don't know how langan is. Mc fadden ferry will be a loss.. wonder was Hugh injured when he came off or was he booked.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 18/10/2020 18:58:12    2298854

Link

Important win today after Mayo's landslide victory earlier in Tuam. In truth it should have been easier given the very sloppy goal conceded to McKenna when giving the ball away cheaply. Plus the penalty kept Tyrone in it which looked soft to say the least. I can only presume any infraction occurred before the cameras turned onto the players involved. Good to see plenty of long ball played in when the opportunity arose. Thought the youngsters done well but plenty of room for improvement. O'Donnell and Mogan had good first halves highlighted by quality scores especially Mogan's moment of brilliance scoring that goal. However both gave the ball away a couple of times in the second half which should have been avoided. Cannot be too critical though given the position Donegal were in and liked how they played keep ball as kept some of our powder dry for two weeks time. Tyrone couldn't handle Jamie at times and he got some great scores including his goal. I suspect Tyrone will be targeting him in two weeks time given the damage he has done in the last 2 games. Is McFadden Ferry gone for the remainder of the year due to work commitments? He will be a massive loss and I guess management will be looking to McKelvey to provide a similar role given they are similar players. As per Michael and Ryan really showed up when leadership was required with Ryan a deserving motm. Shout out to Caolan McGonagle who had probably his best game in county colours. He was in the right place at the right time sweeping up as well as excellent link play while also contributing on the scoreboard. I didn't actually realize how many players Donegal had missing until well after the game started. Really hope Paddy and Langan are available for two weeks time. The way things have worked out could not have been better. Get to play Kerry next week with nothing riding on it which will give an opportunity to bring players in who need the game time while potentially resting others. Tyrone will likely have a tough game against Mayo which could be to our advantage. Anyways great to have football back and hopefully it remains even if further lockdowns.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 18/10/2020 20:48:17    2298924

Link

That performance yesterday was of the highest possible calibre. 2 suspect enough goals have given the scoreline a gloss. The first Tyrone goal is remarkably soft and the 2nd goal is very late in the day and comes from a poor Donegal turnover and overall having lead from the off, at half time and 4pts at full time i think we were more comfortable than a 4pt victory would suggest. A margin for me of nearer 6/7pts would have been a truer reflection on the balance of play.

Having said all that, wouldnt it be the most Donegal thing of all time to be writing here in 2 weeks time that we are out of the championship?

There is one team yesterday that will come away with the greater learning, and one that will come away with greater confidence, the reset button will be hit and we need to put in an even bigger performance the next day out because this is a solid solid tyrone team who are capable of a smash and grab even if its clear we are the better all round team.

Without getting carried away, with abit of luck on the injury and weather front we will give anyone who stands in our way a rattle over the coming months- that is if the government permit a championship at all.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 19/10/2020 10:17:49    2299046

Link

Really enjoyed the game and thought we were much better than the 4 point win. As always with Tyrone I am very wary of them in 2 weeks time, it's an odd year and and odd championship but wouldn't be surprised to see them much much better in 2 weeks (if it goes ahead).

I thought for the most part we handled McKenna well enough though he definitely grew into the game. The penalty was ridiculously soft from the replays we could see, the ref was very fussy I felt giving strange decisions on both sides. I think he probably knew he was wrong on the penalty call as McKenna had one in the 2nd half that was much more of a penalty I thought but ref gave nothing.

The positives for us was definitely such a strong performance considering the missing players. All the usual suspects played very well but I was very impressed with McGonagle, he was quietly excellent, right place at the right time and picked up a great score to boot. Also thought Niall O'Donnell was brilliant if a little loose in possession at times, but some fantastic scores.

It's nice to have Div 1 status secured going in to the final day. It's hard to read too much in to what happened 7 or 8 months ago now but we have been very good overall, the loss against Galway being the most disappointing performance by a long way I would say.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 19/10/2020 10:27:34    2299054

Link