Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Follow KGfitness on Instagram to see how Gillespie's recovery is going. The lad is a machine. If ever a player deserved a good long injury free run it's this kid. Centre half back problem position solved."
Funny that's why I posted the commnent. Seen the video. Anyone know if he'll be back this year? I would think not sadly

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 01/03/2020 10:26:02    2271048

Link

More games in ballyshannon please....

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 546 - 01/03/2020 15:40:40    2271145

Link

Great performance today in testing conditions. Monaghan will not be sorry to see the back of Ballyshannon that's for sure. Nothing went right for them today but in fairness our lads were on I from the get go and fully deserved their win.

Michael Langan was superb. Great to see. We all know the ability is there, just if he can get that consistency going now.

Paddy is getting sharper too and Niall O'Donnell was good too when introduced.

Also thought Neil McGee had a great game. We need that edge and bit of meanness at the back and God knows Neil isn't lacking in that department! But he looked sharp today and Monaghan never once looked like threatening for a goal.

Best Tyrone now in 2 weeks and we'll be home and dry.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 01/03/2020 20:24:54    2271338

Link

Great display by Donegal today. When Murphy doesn't score in a game normally they are in trouble, but not today. Some great displays from McGee and Langan , but for me the man of the match was Caolan Ward who covered the whole pitch all day and handled the ball more than anyone else, I understand he works in DSC GYM in Milford and hence his fitness , he could run all day .

culmore (None) - Posts: 1398 - 01/03/2020 21:50:30    2271397

Link

Very happy with that performance especially in the second half. There's serious talent in this team and even Eamon McGee said in his star column that this Donegal team has more football abilities than the 2012 team..if we can beat Tyrone and who's know we could be going to kerry to win to get into a league final. On another topic..any body any injury updates on Stephen mcM, Oisin G, Paddy McGrath, Jamie brennan and Kiaran Gillespie?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 109 - 01/03/2020 22:05:12    2271413

Link

Replying To culmore:  "Great display by Donegal today. When Murphy doesn't score in a game normally they are in trouble, but not today. Some great displays from McGee and Langan , but for me the man of the match was Caolan Ward who covered the whole pitch all day and handled the ball more than anyone else, I understand he works in DSC GYM in Milford and hence his fitness , he could run all day ."
Meant to mention Ward as well. Great display from him today. What a finish for the goal!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 01/03/2020 22:14:57    2271421

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Very happy with that performance especially in the second half. There's serious talent in this team and even Eamon McGee said in his star column that this Donegal team has more football abilities than the 2012 team..if we can beat Tyrone and who's know we could be going to kerry to win to get into a league final. On another topic..any body any injury updates on Stephen mcM, Oisin G, Paddy McGrath, Jamie brennan and Kiaran Gillespie?"
There's more talent in this team than the Dublin team. Just about standing up, tackling hard and working like dogs.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 01/03/2020 23:22:35    2271449

Link

First 20/25 minutes Monaghan made themselves very hard to break down and it was frustrating to watch. I think Donegal wanted to get the ball into Murphy and play off him but Monaghan had him well marshalled. The goal was really important. Whatever Monaghan were up to, probably concentrating a bit too much on stopping McHugh and Murphy they left Ward as a free man and he took the goal really well. He put a great shift in today.

Donegal kept going for it in the second half and the two early points probably closed the game. Pattons kick out for the second goal was excellent and overall his kick outs were very good again. Niall O'Donnell made a decent difference as well, not sure he's fully back to himself but is getting there. He's a natural forward, can take points and is a clever playmaker.

Hugh McFaddens form was very good again and is scoring more this year, just stop putting his fist through the ball at kick out time! Defensively were solid at the back and McGee had a great first half. He didn't give McManus an inch.

Fair play to langan, he had a great game. Five points from play is no mean feet (possibly the most points from open play by anyone in the league). He also gave the assist for the ward goal and had some lovely fetches at midfield. He's very composed and takes his time. Sometimes that leads to turnover ball in the tackle, like Dublin last week but as he gets stronger he'll be able to ride the tackle more.

Monaghan were not great and they are not the first team to not really show up in ballyshannon.
Anyhow fair play to the team and management.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 381 - 01/03/2020 23:26:37    2271451

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Very happy with that performance especially in the second half. There's serious talent in this team and even Eamon McGee said in his star column that this Donegal team has more football abilities than the 2012 team..if we can beat Tyrone and who's know we could be going to kerry to win to get into a league final. On another topic..any body any injury updates on Stephen mcM, Oisin G, Paddy McGrath, Jamie brennan and Kiaran Gillespie?"
Jamie was togged out today, and didn't appear to be too much wrong with him. I'm told that Jason McGee was present today but not togged, probably just being kept in touch. The news I hear on Oisín Gallen is that he's not even back running yet, which is strange when you have a shoulder injury. Doesn't look good for him this year, or Kieran Gillespie.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 02/03/2020 00:39:24    2271475

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Meant to mention Ward as well. Great display from him today. What a finish for the goal!"
Have seen him in action five times between club and county in the past six months. Very impressed with his stamina, calmness, comfort in possession and intelligent use of the ball ..setting up scores etc.
Not sure if those of you with better insight would agree but he appears to be more suited to and more effective as an attacking wing back instead of being limited to a man marking role as a corner back.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 372 - 02/03/2020 00:59:00    2271477

Link

Great display from Donegal in a must win game. Top displays from Patton, Ward, Langan, McGee and O'Donnell in particular in a solid all round team display.

Donegal can now enter the Tyrone game with a fair degree of confidence and hopefully Jamie Brennan will be back and Bonner will also elect to start O'Donnell.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 546 - 02/03/2020 01:46:11    2271480

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Great performance today in testing conditions. Monaghan will not be sorry to see the back of Ballyshannon that's for sure. Nothing went right for them today but in fairness our lads were on I from the get go and fully deserved their win.

Michael Langan was superb. Great to see. We all know the ability is there, just if he can get that consistency going now.

Paddy is getting sharper too and Niall O'Donnell was good too when introduced.

Also thought Neil McGee had a great game. We need that edge and bit of meanness at the back and God knows Neil isn't lacking in that department! But he looked sharp today and Monaghan never once looked like threatening for a goal.

Best Tyrone now in 2 weeks and we'll be home and dry."
Think Langan has had an excellent league been one of the go to men in basically every game. So he has certainly being consistent hopefully brings same form the championship. He is so elusive with the jinking side step and clearly powered up in the mould of Brian Fenton where alot of that power is generated from his legs. Himself and Jason McGee have the makings of an incredible midfield partnership with Hugh cleaning up around them.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 02:08:44    2271481

Link

Pleasing even though I cannot believe how poor Monaghan were. The missed free from Beggan in the first half summed them up. Thought Neil McGee was top class. Could be a shrewd decision to give him more game time as resting him the last couple of immaterial with injuries. I thought Caolan Ward was excellent and took his goal really well. Love to see him score more as the quality is there just don't see enough. We completely dominated midfield with Hugh doing the hard graft and Langan superb yet again this year. He has the ability to be one of the best midfielders in Ireland and his progress this year has been excellent. Another good showing from Mogan who we know has the ability. Great to see Paddy back looks like he has been doing serious work again in the off season. Funnily enough Murphy and Ryan were kept well in check even though still effective yet others stepped up. This also has to happen against the Dublin's and Kerry's. Monaghan will no doubt use this defeat as motivation come championship time were the teams to meet so would not expect them to be so abject again. Also good to see Patton back in the groove after the Dublin game. Going to take a bizzare set of results to see us go down given our scoring difference. Truth is we should be really looking forward to a league final based on our performances. But not overly concerned about that retaining Division One status the number one aim.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 02:33:46    2271482

Link

I was really impressed by how we kept our structure for the whole match, again we looked defensively very impressive.
With the likes of Jason McGee, Stephen McMenamin and Oisin Gallen all still to return, I think we could be in for an exciting summer.

I don't think the winning margin is an accurate reflection of where both teams are really at, but on the day we were full value for the 10 point win, in fact we probably should have won by a lot more on the day.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 02/03/2020 09:02:30    2271506

Link

Allowing for Monaghan being so poor (really surprised by their performance), I was very happy with our second half especially. We were much more clinical and although it was pedestrian at times I was happy enough with how the players recycled the ball and tried to find good openings in what were atrocious conditions in that first half. What was very encouraging was that Murphy and McHugh were both kept relatively quiet but we still won comfortably, this is something we've been missing a lot these past 2 years with other players not stepping up. Again, Monaghan were very poor but it was great to walk away talking about players like Langan and Ward rather than marvelling again at a Murphy masterclass helping us over the line.

I don't want to focus on negatives after a great result for us, but I really don't see Paul Brennan as being good enough for inter-county. He is a willing runner and tries hard but I fail to see what he really offers other than energy. I think Eamonn Doherty is a better man marker and offers just as much going forward.

I'd like to see Niall O'Donnell start the next day out regardless with Brennan dropping to the bench.

Patton

Ward
McGee
Eoghan Bán

McHugh
Dáire O'Baoill
McFadden-Ferry

Langan
McFadden

McGonagle
O'Donnell
Thompson

McBrearty
Murphy
Mogan

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 02/03/2020 09:56:24    2271534

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Pleasing even though I cannot believe how poor Monaghan were. The missed free from Beggan in the first half summed them up. Thought Neil McGee was top class. Could be a shrewd decision to give him more game time as resting him the last couple of immaterial with injuries. I thought Caolan Ward was excellent and took his goal really well. Love to see him score more as the quality is there just don't see enough. We completely dominated midfield with Hugh doing the hard graft and Langan superb yet again this year. He has the ability to be one of the best midfielders in Ireland and his progress this year has been excellent. Another good showing from Mogan who we know has the ability. Great to see Paddy back looks like he has been doing serious work again in the off season. Funnily enough Murphy and Ryan were kept well in check even though still effective yet others stepped up. This also has to happen against the Dublin's and Kerry's. Monaghan will no doubt use this defeat as motivation come championship time were the teams to meet so would not expect them to be so abject again. Also good to see Patton back in the groove after the Dublin game. Going to take a bizzare set of results to see us go down given our scoring difference. Truth is we should be really looking forward to a league final based on our performances. But not overly concerned about that retaining Division One status the number one aim."
Yes Langan has been very good in fairness. Consistency was maybe the wrong word to use. A bit more savvy was probably what I should have said. In the Dublin match he took the ball into contact a bit too much and it led to turnovers and scores. But that's the beauty of Div 1 football. He might have got away with that in Div 2 last year but not so this year. It's why consistently playing in Div 1 is crucial for this group.

They would learn absolutely nothing from beating Div 2 teams comfortably. Even when we drew with Mayo and lost narrowly to both Galway and Dublin in games we should have won, I wasn't overly concerned. The lessons learned from such defeats can be more beneficial long term.

Now we still need to go and beat Tyrone which is definitely achievable. If we do, I think we can look back on the league with satisfaction. It shouldn't be a case of patting ourselves on the back and thinking we're great. More so that objective 1 for 2020 is secure - league survival. Time then to "push the button" as Jim used to say, in preparation for objective 2 - Ulster title.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 02/03/2020 10:47:50    2271552

Link

Getting the two points was the main thing.Monaghan were lets say very un-Monaghan like.They are usually full of grit and determinationbut they did not just seem to fancy it yesterday.Unlike the other games things seemed to go Donegal's way.After labouring to get scores for half an hour with a strong gale behind them the goal was a game changer.Even with a 6 point lead at half time with the strength of the wind I was still worried.Thankfully the wind died considerably in the second half and we started very well,that coupled with the sending off vitually finished the game.Taking in to account the atrocious conditions and despite some very good performances I would not read too much in to the game and other games over the weekend..

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 730 - 02/03/2020 11:00:54    2271557

Link

Well done to all concerned, a very good controlled performance but at end of the day it's only early March. If we can keep everybody fit and get the walking wounded back we seem to be building a good squad. Monaghan looked poor but wudnt dwell to much on that. Nice to see Neil Mc gee back to his commanding self he definitely plays on the edge but he seemed totally up for the battle yesterday. No doubt who man of match was Langan was brilliant. He was up against young Kearns who's highly rated but he completely dominated him. If we can keep him fit it'll be a Huge plus because he has everything you want in a midfielder.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 945 - 02/03/2020 11:42:29    2271578

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yes Langan has been very good in fairness. Consistency was maybe the wrong word to use. A bit more savvy was probably what I should have said. In the Dublin match he took the ball into contact a bit too much and it led to turnovers and scores. But that's the beauty of Div 1 football. He might have got away with that in Div 2 last year but not so this year. It's why consistently playing in Div 1 is crucial for this group.

They would learn absolutely nothing from beating Div 2 teams comfortably. Even when we drew with Mayo and lost narrowly to both Galway and Dublin in games we should have won, I wasn't overly concerned. The lessons learned from such defeats can be more beneficial long term.

Now we still need to go and beat Tyrone which is definitely achievable. If we do, I think we can look back on the league with satisfaction. It shouldn't be a case of patting ourselves on the back and thinking we're great. More so that objective 1 for 2020 is secure - league survival. Time then to "push the button" as Jim used to say, in preparation for objective 2 - Ulster title."
In the Dublin game Langan was excellent in the first half and had alot of success with that elusive step he is blessed with. You're right he did get caught a couple of times in the second half in dangerous areas to give up possession. Still showed up really well for us in every game. The high field laid of to Ryan a particular highlight. Unfortunately soured by a shocking referring by Coldrick not giving the most blatant foul on Ryan leading to a Mayo score from a free brought forward because of Neil rightfully giving him an ear full. I remember seeing himself and Jason absolutely put on a show against a fancied Armagh side at minor in 2015 and thinking we got 2 right ones here. How that team did not at least win Ulster and potentially stop Kerry minor history will always be one that got away.

Anyways Division 1 status will be confirmed with a result against Tyrone which I think we will bar the unforeseen. Tyrone will have the safety net of playing Mayo in the final game and could be wary of showing a full hand with the championship in mind.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 02/03/2020 12:07:38    2271592

Link

Delighted with yesterdays result. Played well and controlled the game in the second half. I thought Monaghan were a side that are waiting in the long grass. They were late out and I think they're thinking of the bigger picture. Meath to play but delighted for our lads. We may cross paths again in the summer. Have mulligan and carroll left the squad?

cowsinthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 63 - 02/03/2020 12:09:15    2271593

Link