Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gaanervous:  "From one who calls himself from Naomh Conaill ,that,s just unbelievable ,if an Naomh Conaill player or indeed players r of County standard that,s where they should be,leave club football to take care of urself ,and stop denying players from our club the chance of representing their County full stop."
I haven't seen any Naomh Conaill player apart from Thompson that convinces me they are ready for inter county football this year. The likes of Mc Kelvey and O Donnell are still young though and being part of this panel will help them. I can't think of any club player not on the panel that should be apart from the ones who can't commit.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 18/02/2020 13:28:20    2268308

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Thanks for having a look Panama's am I just taught it was weird that the said umpire nodded to his sidekick to give the point."
No problem was looking back at full game anyways. Should never have been a decision but lots of time to improve our shooting. Hopefully won't cost us Division one status which I doubt it will anyways.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 18/02/2020 15:34:58    2268328

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "No problem was looking back at full game anyways. Should never have been a decision but lots of time to improve our shooting. Hopefully won't cost us Division one status which I doubt it will anyways."
Admire your confidence Panama I'm probably a pessimist anyway. But I feel we could be in trouble. We probably need two wins and with Dublin and Kerry away that looks a tough ask. Hopefully your right because goin by your posts you seem to be a very fair poster and you call it as you see it..

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 18/02/2020 17:31:59    2268342

Link

Interesting to see how the weekend goes against Dublin. I remember two years ago thinking we'd take an awful hammering and ending up putting a right good show on. The Dublin team picked that night was a decent team too. The tactics that evening were much more positive than previous matches we've played against them and hopefully that mentality will be there on Saturday. We were getting well beat though kept at it and Patrick Mcbreartys second half was superb. Brennan also had a good outing that night and was also decent in the super 8s against them. Hopefully he can take confidence from that for Saturday.

We suffered quite a bit from kick out turnovers and hopefully that won't be happening as much now. Niall scully probably somewhat surprisingly has done for us as well. Two goals in the super 8s and a load of points in that league match. Hopefully he will be bit better marked this time. I see colm basquel and bugler starting and Dublin will be much improved based on two weeks more training in the legs.

I would imagine the donegal team were quite annoyed with themselves on how they let the last match slip. I hope they use this as motivation to really show up in Saturday.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 18/02/2020 20:17:44    2268360

Link

Realistically, we will need another 3, maybe 4 points to be certain of our Division 1 status. Make no mistake, we have probably the top 3 teams in the country to play in Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone. I'd rank Monaghan 6th. If we can get a result this Saturday night it will certainly go a long way to achieving our goal. A positive result will completely change our mindset for Monaghan the following week, and will have them questioning again how they left the 2 points behind them. Two victories in those 8 days will allow us to divert our focus to where it needs to be, McCumhaill Park against Tyrone in May and not the 15th March. The next 2 games can be make or break for our entire season. I think we can do it.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 19/02/2020 03:24:35    2268392

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Admire your confidence Panama I'm probably a pessimist anyway. But I feel we could be in trouble. We probably need two wins and with Dublin and Kerry away that looks a tough ask. Hopefully your right because goin by your posts you seem to be a very fair poster and you call it as you see it.."
No doubt we should be on 5 or 6 points and our shooting accuracy is a concern. But I would much rather be in our position than say Mayo who despite being on the same points their performances have been poor. It looks like Meath are already doomed leaving one other to go down. I am expecting a close game this weekend against Dublin. I think if we had played them in the 3 previous rounds we would have got something. Given they have had another couple of weeks training they are likely to be more at it but expect improvement from ourselves too with players to come back. Even if we lose we will still have 2 home games we are more than capable of winning. Teams will take points from each other and if we get something this weekend which we have every chance of doing we will be fine.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/02/2020 16:22:22    2268468

Link

Flying over from the UK for this one to give the boys some support in Croker.

First visit there so I'm rather looking forward to it. Was at the Meath game so I'm hoping my winning record this season continues.

Hoping for a good game, a Donegal win and a few pints after to celebrate.

MartinEgan (UK) - Posts: 30 - 20/02/2020 10:38:03    2268586

Link

Firstly let me preface this by saying that I'm well aware of the daunting nature of playing Dublin in Croke Park. But it just seems a bit like we've written off any hope of taking points from this fixture. Monaghan showed a few weeks ago that Dublin can be got at and I would argue that we have more attacking threat than them. If we can tighten up at the back considerably and avoid sloppy concession of goals I give us a fair chance of getting a result. It won't be easy by any means but I just have a feeling there will be a bit of hurt there at the criticism received at not getting full points against Galway and Mayo.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 20/02/2020 13:05:50    2268611

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "From one who calls himself from Naomh Conaill ,that,s just unbelievable ,if an Naomh Conaill player or indeed players r of County standard that,s where they should be,leave club football to take care of urself ,and stop denying players from our club the chance of representing their County full stop."
I'm not denying anyone I am giving an opinion if they are good enough they will be there and I don't think they are currently good enough. Will it benefit them being there yes but we will see come summer who is there.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 20/02/2020 13:52:45    2268621

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Firstly let me preface this by saying that I'm well aware of the daunting nature of playing Dublin in Croke Park. But it just seems a bit like we've written off any hope of taking points from this fixture. Monaghan showed a few weeks ago that Dublin can be got at and I would argue that we have more attacking threat than them. If we can tighten up at the back considerably and avoid sloppy concession of goals I give us a fair chance of getting a result. It won't be easy by any means but I just have a feeling there will be a bit of hurt there at the criticism received at not getting full points against Galway and Mayo."
I would be certainly optimistic of getting something though like I already stated Dublin having 2 more weeks training and probably targeting this game as a marker game dampens my enthusiasm. If the Dublin of their game against Mayo or Monaghan turn up Donegal will win. Based on the Kerry performance I think tomorrow will be a close call. Hopefully we get our shooting boots on which is the main reason Donegal are on 3 points not 6 as the overall performances have been good.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 21/02/2020 18:06:01    2268850

Link

Very negative team selection from Bonner, exactly what he criticised the last management team for when he was on highland, hope I'm wrong....

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 22/02/2020 18:58:15    2269051

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Very negative team selection from Bonner, exactly what he criticised the last management team for when he was on highland, hope I'm wrong...."
You were wrong.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 22/02/2020 20:53:32    2269082

Link

Overall a promising performance but dissapointing that we made some silly mistakes that lead to scores and i'm not just taking about Pattons mistake who had an outstanding game again. But running into tackles when there is a pass on, or making some poor decisions. We had some big goal chances and we need to learn how to finish out a game. Maybe we are lacking some experience there.

Murphy another exceptional game. And was targeted by Small at the end, just like Clifford was 2 weeks ago. Hopefully Brennan hasn't picked up too much of a knock, our best forward after Murphy right now.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 22/02/2020 21:01:15    2269086

Link

We have a long way to go, take Murphy out of that team & it is very ordinary indeed.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 22/02/2020 21:08:45    2269090

Link

Disappointed not to get anything outta that game. Started really well, looked composed, do what you gotta do against Dublin by holding onto the ball. However as the game went on Dublin's intensity increased and they punished some of our poor decision making. Rule one against playing a real physical like Dublin or Mayo is do not carry the ball into contact especially when facing more than one. We started by avoiding this but lost our way a bit. Not that we overdone it you just do not do it at all. I thought as the game went on when our accuracy especially from hand passes wained and made life tough on ourselves. Another what should have been an easy goal botched an unfortunate characteristic of ours. Ban plays it too soon when you can commit the player and all opens up. Again Michael Murphy was superb and without we be in serious trouble. Good performances from Langan and Patton but unfortunately both blotted their copy book a bit in the second half. Brennan who does not lack in conviction also very good till his injury. Really promising from Mogan also when he finds his feet more he won't be lacking in conviction and driving at teams. However there were 2-3 players who started tonight who are quite simply not of the standard to take on any of the top sides, seen enough now to know. As Brolly rightly pointed out we have a few too many players who lack conviction. This was particularly highlighted at the end when Daire worked a great position to hand pass it away with a really really poor decision.

Still think we will stay up. However looking forward my feeling is we are a very good team but lacking that bit of mental toughness to be anything more than contenders outside of Ulster.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 22/02/2020 22:03:51    2269124

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "We have a long way to go, take Murphy out of that team & it is very ordinary indeed."
I think you might be lacking a little perspective there muckross. Take Michael Murphy out of any team and it would be a gigantic impact. He's Donegal's best ever player, probably underrated nationally if truth be told and should just saviour watching him. That catch in the second half was just superb. And we still have him.

And as frustrated and all as I am to be on three points after four matches you have to look at the positives this evening. We gifted them a goal, missed two gilt edged goal chances and lost by a point. Went three points down and Dublin usually pull away but scored the last two points and had a great chance of an equaliser.
Mogan was excellent, really pacey covered off some really quick players Dublin have. He really suits croke park and later in the year the dry sod (assuming it stops raining)
Mcbrearty came back and kicked a lovely point.
Hugh McFadden makes a world of difference to this Donegal team, carrying the ball our from defence kicking a few scores and it's not a coincidence that Murphy scored much more from play. He can afford to stay further up the field with McFadden in the team.
Niall O'Donnell looked a good bit better than previous matches. Hopefully with a few more matches he'll be fully at himself again.
Ryan McHugh was very good as well.
No doubt there was sloppy mistakes that led to Dublin scores and players needlessly getting turned over in contact. Also frustrating that we aren't closing these games out.
One thing that really would concern me us an injury to Jamie Brennan.
On to Monaghan.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 22/02/2020 22:43:54    2269145

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "You were wrong."
Not sure I was, we started with only 4 forwards, it was obvious that the Brennan/ mcgonigle wing forward experiment didn't work, that should have been rectified by half time. Our slow build up play and carrying the ball into contact led directly to 5 Dublin scores. We coughed up possession cheaply, this is because our build up play is too slow and predictable Only another tour De force from Murphy who has a hump from carrying the rest of the team now, it is papering over the cracks. There is no moral victory in losing to Dublin by a point, anything less than 2 points against Monaghan and we will be joining meath in div 2 next year. With the exception of Tyrone last year we have yet to beat any of the top teams, Kerry, Mayo, Dublin or Galway. The football Bonner has us playing is too slow to take out one of the big dogs, the only exception being when we went toe to toe, 15 on 15 with an injury hit team and almost beat them in last year's super 8s.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 23/02/2020 00:36:53    2269175

Link

Donegal had enough chances to win the game well but not to be. It's a cliche but they will learn from this game. 3/4 goal chances created to Dublin's 1. But Dublin's press in the second half and silly turnovers by us cost us. We avoided this in the first half but struggled to get our kick outs away in the second half and got turned over. Langan bossed Fenton in the first half but got turned over a few times in the second, same with others.

Dublin have Cluxton, Mc Caffrey, Mc Carthy, Con, Connoly to come back into 15. (cooper and philly also to panel if not 15)
Donegal have Mc Grath, Menamin, Jason Mc Gee and Oisin Gallan. (it's a pit we wont see S. Mc Brearty, Odhran MC Neilis, Ciaran Gillespie this year as I feel both panels are well matched)

On the game itself, there's plenty of positives to take, we can honestly say we deserved to win the match, but no point in moral victories. Dublin have lads to come back in but going by that performance we can beat them for sure, if things go right.

Worries from the game;
Do we have enough man markers for the best teams? I know we are missing Mc Menamin and Mc Grath
Failing to see games out once again
We keep coughing up ball at times, we got turned over alot but suppose when we keep the ball and invite teams onto us, this could happen
-tackling when teams are running at us.
-injuries to key men could hurt us- any word on brennan?
-are we clinical enough?
-psychological struggle seeing off the "big teams"

Positives:
no goal chances given up, when was the list time Dublin failed to score a goal?
Mogan looks the real deal. PACEY, DIRECT, can do numerous jobs.
-Mc Brearty back, if he can hit 4-5 points a game we are not far away
-Langan, was the best player on the field for the first 40 mins
-kept possesion, bar the silly 3 turnovers, really well, and worked good scoring chances
-creating a panel of players for championship all going well

All in all, I can take positives from that game, although there's areas to work on.

I think we will beat Monaghan well based on that performance.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 23/02/2020 02:20:35    2269186

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Not sure I was, we started with only 4 forwards, it was obvious that the Brennan/ mcgonigle wing forward experiment didn't work, that should have been rectified by half time. Our slow build up play and carrying the ball into contact led directly to 5 Dublin scores. We coughed up possession cheaply, this is because our build up play is too slow and predictable Only another tour De force from Murphy who has a hump from carrying the rest of the team now, it is papering over the cracks. There is no moral victory in losing to Dublin by a point, anything less than 2 points against Monaghan and we will be joining meath in div 2 next year. With the exception of Tyrone last year we have yet to beat any of the top teams, Kerry, Mayo, Dublin or Galway. The football Bonner has us playing is too slow to take out one of the big dogs, the only exception being when we went toe to toe, 15 on 15 with an injury hit team and almost beat them in last year's super 8s."
Kerry were down David moran last year, a chap that unfortunately for him misses quite a number of matches to injury. I don't agree with your sentiment. Donegal are much more dymamic than they used to be. The equivalent league match in 2016 they scored 7 points. They were close to refusing to attack and remember later in the year when Dublin knocked them out of the championship. They didn't go for it then either even after connoly got sent off and they got a goal. That was much more unsatisfactory than last night.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 23/02/2020 09:54:52    2269208

Link

Was generally a very good performance last night - a one point defeat nothing to be ashamed of. Silly mistakes are costing us. But the problem is that we were going to Croke Park last night needing to win to take pressure off us.

It's time to cut out the messing about with venues for these league games. No harm to O'Donnell Park but every year we are throwing one of our precious home games by playing it in Letterkenny. Last year the loss there against Fermanagh almost cost us promotion, the year previous we lost there to Galway and got relegated and this year we lost to Galway and are now under pressure again.

Although, I do believe we can do enough against Monaghan and Tyrone to save ourselves - we shouldn't continue to put ourselves under this pressure. We should give ourselves every advantage at the outset by playing all games in McCumhaill Park (or at the very least 3 of the 4 should be played there).

supporter (Donegal) - Posts: 205 - 23/02/2020 11:27:42    2269228

Link