Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A good few posters mentioning the fact that we lack physicality especially in the half back line. We have a couple of men who fit that bill, but who are not being mentioned. Firstly, and being conservative, Eamon Doherty has been a consistent performer over the years but has not appeared yet this year. Being more adventurous, I'd love to see Micheal Carroll getting a run in that centre back position, loves the tough stuff, good footballer and a great engine. Moving up the field a little we have big Jason McGee to add size, I also think Caolán McGonagle is a great option as a ball carrier, has good balance and a burst of speed. Sometimes the answer to your problem can be under your nose.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 14/02/2020 23:32:14    2267777

Link

Complete change of topic but will season ticket holders need to print out tickets for the Dublin match this weekend like we have in the past? It's been a few years since I've had a season ticket. I can't see anywhere on the portal to do that.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 15/02/2020 16:40:39    2267837

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Complete change of topic but will season ticket holders need to print out tickets for the Dublin match this weekend like we have in the past? It's been a few years since I've had a season ticket. I can't see anywhere on the portal to do that."
Hi JoeSoap:. It's usually a print-off for Croker but I think if you download the ticket on your mobile they can scan from that but safer to print. Normally not available until around mid-week of the game.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 482 - 15/02/2020 20:08:11    2267873

Link

I see the Under 20 match refixed for next Saturday at 1 p.m. in McCumhaill Park. It's gonna be a tough ask for supporters. Tough journey for someone south of the gap to go to Ballybofey and then head for Dublin afterwards.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 15/02/2020 21:11:03    2267883

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "I see the Under 20 match refixed for next Saturday at 1 p.m. in McCumhaill Park. It's gonna be a tough ask for supporters. Tough journey for someone south of the gap to go to Ballybofey and then head for Dublin afterwards."
Indeed but certainly doable. Going to be out of the country for a while so hopefully all the regular informed posters can keep me up to speed.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 15/02/2020 22:11:54    2267889

Link

Having watched back on the recording of the Galway match I'm 100% convinced Jamie scored just inside the post on the 57th minute when donegal were a point down, the umpire was in a good position and actually nodded to the other umpire with the flag indicating a point but then proceeded to wave it wide,
Will someone please look at this again, it could be the wee difference after match day 7 in staying up or down
Definitely a point lost,
Can see Jamie having a stormer in corker the next game.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 51 - 15/02/2020 22:42:45    2267892

Link

Having watched back on the recording of the Galway match I'm 100% convinced Jamie scored just inside the post on the 57th minute when donegal were a point down, the umpire was in a good position and actually nodded to the other umpire with the flag indicating a point but then proceeded to wave it wide,
Will someone please look at this again, it could be the wee difference after match day 7 in staying up or down
Definitely a point lost,
Can see Jamie having a stormer in corker the next game.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 51 - 15/02/2020 22:43:08    2267893

Link

Think it was a wide. I watched it back a few times.

I agree that Mc Fadden Ferry is best suited to half back but he's playing in the corner because we are light for options there.

Team I like to see face Dublin:

Patton
Mc Fadden Ferry
Mc Cole
Mc Menamin

Eoghan Ban
DOB
Ryan

MM.
Carroll

Langan
NOD
Thompson

Brennan
P.Mc Brearty
Gallan

Impact:
Eoin Mc H
Cian Mulligan
Mc Gonagle
Mc Fadden
Mc Gee
Brennan
Ward

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 16/02/2020 15:09:53    2267952

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Think it was a wide. I watched it back a few times.

I agree that Mc Fadden Ferry is best suited to half back but he's playing in the corner because we are light for options there.

Patton
Mc Fadden Ferry
Mc Cole
Mc Menamin

Eoghan Ban
DOB
Ryan

MM.
Carroll

Langan
NOD
Thompson

Brennan
P.Mc Brearty
Gallan

Impact:
Eoin Mc H
Cian Mulligan
Mc Gonagle
Mc Fadden
Mc Gee
Brennan
Ward"
Dublin would destroy that team ,one from the County Champions ,where,s the player of the club championships Ethan O Donnell ,three from Gweedore r u having a laugh,

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 16/02/2020 16:15:22    2267963

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Think it was a wide. I watched it back a few times.

Patton
Mc Fadden Ferry
Mc Cole
Mc Menamin

Eoghan Ban
DOB
Ryan

MM.
Carroll

Langan
NOD
Thompson

Brennan
P.Mc Brearty
Gallan

Impact:
Eoin Mc H
Cian Mulligan
Mc Gonagle
Mc Fadden
Mc Gee
Brennan
Ward"
McMenamin and Gallen are both only after surgery, so not a hope of either playing.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 16/02/2020 16:58:56    2267974

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "McMenamin and Gallen are both only after surgery, so not a hope of either playing."
Yeah it's the team "that I would like to see". Wonder how far away they are?

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 16/02/2020 18:13:54    2267993

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "McMenamin and Gallen are both only after surgery, so not a hope of either playing."
Thought Gallen had his surgery a few weeks ago before Christmas no? Prognosis was to return around March.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 16/02/2020 19:32:22    2268011

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Dublin would destroy that team ,one from the County Champions ,where,s the player of the club championships Ethan O Donnell ,three from Gweedore r u having a laugh,"
I'm not sure what your point is. Dublin played four players from Ballymun against Monaghan and none from their county champions Ballyboden. Winning a county championship means you have the best team, not necessarily the best individuals. Naomh Conaill would, traditionally, be known for their team ethic.

themaddog (Wicklow) - Posts: 81 - 16/02/2020 20:33:00    2268020

Link

The only player from the NC capable of playing county presently is Thompson.
We won the championship in 2010 and had 6-7 players called up to county and it ruined are club form that season so I am glad only Thompson is starting and come summer i would say we may only have him and McGettigan on the panel

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 366 - 17/02/2020 09:21:08    2268072

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "The only player from the NC capable of playing county presently is Thompson.
We won the championship in 2010 and had 6-7 players called up to county and it ruined are club form that season so I am glad only Thompson is starting and come summer i would say we may only have him and McGettigan on the panel"
From one who calls himself from Naomh Conaill ,that,s just unbelievable ,if an Naomh Conaill player or indeed players r of County standard that,s where they should be,leave club football to take care of urself ,and stop denying players from our club the chance of representing their County full stop.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 17/02/2020 10:47:33    2268104

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Having watched back on the recording of the Galway match I'm 100% convinced Jamie scored just inside the post on the 57th minute when donegal were a point down, the umpire was in a good position and actually nodded to the other umpire with the flag indicating a point but then proceeded to wave it wide,
Definitely a point lost,
Can see Jamie having a stormer in corker the next game."
Don't think it was over I am afraid. Felt we under utilized Jamie in the second half after giving Heaney the run around in the first. Big game for him at the weekend even if the Dublin championship defense will be a different beast to what he will face at the weekend.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 17/02/2020 10:48:51    2268105

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Watched a recording of the Galway game and it is really unbelievable that we couldn't win that game.Apart from a spell after our goal we were in control.A lot has been made about the concession of the two goals.Their first goal was well worked but the second one was bad defending,there was no cover,the danger not being spotted in time.It had nothing to do with the much talked about lack of physicality .Despite the two goals 2-8 was not a big score to better.There was 19 mins of play left after Galway's last score and in that time we scored 1 point and we had an extra man for the last 10 mins.
Apart from our own shortcomings the officials had a bad day.The two footed tackles for our penalty and the one on O'Baoill in the second half should have been red cards.There was a blatant pick up off the ground on the goal line,The quick free to Murphy should not have been called back and there was a black card offence on Owen Ban.
There was no camera evidence but it is unlikely that Murphy was in the square before the ball was kicked.
A bad day but I would be confident that we will be much better going forward."
Yeah I agree we largely controlled the game but poor shooting is what ultimately let us down again. Jamie, Thompson and Paul Brennan all had missed point chances with Paul Brennan's effort dropping to Murphy who fisted over which was correctly disallowed in my opinion. Like you got around to watching the game replay and despite us largely controlling Shane Walsh was superb. Himself and Daly got 2 fantastic points arguably more difficult than ones we missed. Think the officiating was poor for both sides. Definitely should have been black card for foul against Ban. Murphy probably harshly called up for over carrying which led to the second Galway goal. However our defending was horrendous with both O'Donnells being culpable. There was a bizzare call against one of the Galway lads after making a mark. The call back on Ryan's quick free certainly gave the advantage to Galway which should never be the case. Maybe he took not exactly where foul occurred but we talking a yard, a couple of the Galway players had a big influence in this. The foul on Langan for Thompson's missed effort was non existent but actually think it count against us as there seemed to be an overlap. Again if Murphy takes last free off ground he gets it 99 times out of a 100.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 17/02/2020 11:32:47    2268113

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Don't think it was over I am afraid. Felt we under utilized Jamie in the second half after giving Heaney the run around in the first. Big game for him at the weekend even if the Dublin championship defense will be a different beast to what he will face at the weekend."
I thought it looked over and the umpire whose post it was travelling towards signalled for a point, how would the other umpire on the opposite post have been able to tell whether it was wide or not? He was the same umpire that called the Murphy point a square ball.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 345 - 17/02/2020 12:21:21    2268129

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Don't think it was over I am afraid. Felt we under utilized Jamie in the second half after giving Heaney the run around in the first. Big game for him at the weekend even if the Dublin championship defense will be a different beast to what he will face at the weekend."
Thanks for having a look Panama's am I just taught it was weird that the said umpire nodded to his sidekick to give the point.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 51 - 17/02/2020 21:19:53    2268247

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Complete change of topic but will season ticket holders need to print out tickets for the Dublin match this weekend like we have in the past? It's been a few years since I've had a season ticket. I can't see anywhere on the portal to do that."
Hi JoeSoap: Email in from season ticket, you need to log in and click yes that you are going to game. Tickets will then be available to print on Thursday.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 482 - 18/02/2020 11:00:15    2268296

Link