Carlow Forum

Carlow Minors & U20's

(Oldest Posts First)

Both teams out over the next couple of weeks.in the hurling. Minors play Westmeath this weekend and the u20's out the following week against Laois. Imagine their will be a streaming service offered for both.

What was noticeable about the Minor panel is their is a good mix of lads from varying clubs. Think Burrin Rangers have 3, CT & Setanta 2 and Naomh Brid with 2. Bodes well for the future to see Intermediate and Junior sides represented on these panels.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 107 - 13/10/2020 13:58:55    2297271

Link

Notable was only 1 representative from St Mullins on the minor panel. Agree , great to see some of the inter and junior clubs represented. However, an effort needs to be made to ensure training panels are made more inclusive as lads from these clubs can be made feel the 'poor relations' in these set ups and often don't stick around., bother with trials etc. This ultimately feeds through to their clubs, some which are punching well below their weight

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 13/10/2020 21:23:00    2297398

Link

Tough one to lose on Saturday, but I don't think they can have too many complaints. Carlow were 6 points up with 8 to go and in that time Westmeath scored 1-4, missed a penalty and had a goal disallowed, while Carlow failed to score. Carlow started drifting back the longer the game went (don't know if this was coaching or players doing this instinctively) and gave so much ball back to Westmeath. Anytime the backs tried to clear their lines, it was just going back to Westmeath, as Carlow really lost their shape and couldn't relieve the pressure. Harsh lesson learned, but they will be the better for it in the future.

Thought Jake Doyle was excellent, along with Eoghan Hickey, Michael Nolan, Eric English and Dean Slye.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 107 - 19/10/2020 09:27:04    2299024

Link

I was very impressed with the minors on Saturday. They tackled well and there's some really good prospects for the future.

Bit unlucky with the amount of added time that was put on at the end when the clock seemed to be up.

Lost their shape trying to defend their lead but It shouldn't take away from the skills they showed.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1186 - 19/10/2020 20:22:21    2299369

Link

I lost my login details so new profile previously Blow in. To be honest ill probably come across negative but think being fair, realistic and critical are always needed for growth. Not one for pats on the back for good of it or just participating.

I think it was a poor show from this group players and management it not like lost to one of the top tier counties. Secondly between the management with such unbelievable experience proven track records and class i think the got it wrong. C Kealy , T Mullally with D Galway coach in fairness powerful set up as good as any top club or county set up don't know were went wrong. So much experience knowledge behind them but tactics and subs in second half were baffling. bad day at office i guess. Couldn't agree more on the comments of "Jake Doyle was excellent, along with Eoghan Hickey, Michael Nolan, Eric English and Dean Slye" but again substitutions didnt follow my thinking.

Add to that the team is backboned by arguably the "best MLR minor team ever" as i was told by a very well respected knowledgeable hurling man from the club. Their success in feile at that age group and performance levels in games i seen them in would support this, great outfit. But no MLR players stood out on Saturday to be fair. It's funny great MLR minor team pushed by B gaels in final. Both strong enough BK and NE minor teams i really thought this would make very strong minor team and be a great year.

Under performed for sure, considering carlow teams with less names at minor had a lot more success in modern times, just goes to back up the current senior level crop are a golden generation. We have to remember this was Westmeath. Who to blame where went wrong not sure? but i definitely have feeling of should of done better and seen out the game with that lead in the final quarter.

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 19 - 20/10/2020 18:02:13    2299681

Link

Replying To Blow-in2:  "I lost my login details so new profile previously Blow in. To be honest ill probably come across negative but think being fair, realistic and critical are always needed for growth. Not one for pats on the back for good of it or just participating.

I think it was a poor show from this group players and management it not like lost to one of the top tier counties. Secondly between the management with such unbelievable experience proven track records and class i think the got it wrong. C Kealy , T Mullally with D Galway coach in fairness powerful set up as good as any top club or county set up don't know were went wrong. So much experience knowledge behind them but tactics and subs in second half were baffling. bad day at office i guess. Couldn't agree more on the comments of "Jake Doyle was excellent, along with Eoghan Hickey, Michael Nolan, Eric English and Dean Slye" but again substitutions didnt follow my thinking.

Add to that the team is backboned by arguably the "best MLR minor team ever" as i was told by a very well respected knowledgeable hurling man from the club. Their success in feile at that age group and performance levels in games i seen them in would support this, great outfit. But no MLR players stood out on Saturday to be fair. It's funny great MLR minor team pushed by B gaels in final. Both strong enough BK and NE minor teams i really thought this would make very strong minor team and be a great year.

Under performed for sure, considering carlow teams with less names at minor had a lot more success in modern times, just goes to back up the current senior level crop are a golden generation. We have to remember this was Westmeath. Who to blame where went wrong not sure? but i definitely have feeling of should of done better and seen out the game with that lead in the final quarter."
Hi blow-in2; to ensure there is no bias in your comments And that it is balanced I think it's only fair that you Declare your club loyalties??

Carlowtothecore1 (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 21/10/2020 00:18:27    2299797

Link

Replying To Carlowtothecore1:  "Hi blow-in2; to ensure there is no bias in your comments And that it is balanced I think it's only fair that you Declare your club loyalties??"
Not sure about the accuracy of this post. This minor team were very unlucky on Saturday as previous posts correctly pointed out. I'm not sure what you were expecting from them? They were a good honest bunch who looked comfortable with 15 minutes to go and like we have seen all year in many games, the water break seem to break the momentum. They are only U17 and small things can swing games and affect them on the day.

Also Bk and NE did NOT have strong minor teams this year and took heavy beatings from inside and outside the county.
On MLR, yes they had a very very good team as was shown in their performances in BOTH hurling and football finals. If the minor hurling final was played before the football, I'm pretty sure the result would not have been as close.
I would imagine that they had very little preparation for the hurling final due to the football final only 7 days earlier, played almost 100 minutes in that game, lost it very unfairly, and picked up injuries.

So all being said I think Carlow performed well on Saturday and were very unlucky.

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 264 - 21/10/2020 11:15:31    2299853

Link

Replying To Blow-in2:  "I lost my login details so new profile previously Blow in. To be honest ill probably come across negative but think being fair, realistic and critical are always needed for growth. Not one for pats on the back for good of it or just participating.

Under performed for sure, considering carlow teams with less names at minor had a lot more success in modern times, just goes to back up the current senior level crop are a golden generation. We have to remember this was Westmeath. Who to blame where went wrong not sure? but i definitely have feeling of should of done better and seen out the game with that lead in the final quarter."
Not sure about the accuracy of this post. This minor team were very unlucky on Saturday as previous posts correctly pointed out. I'm not sure what you were expecting from them? They were a good honest bunch who looked comfortable with 15 minutes to go and like we have seen all year in many games, the water break seem to break the momentum. They are only U17 and small things can swing games and affect them on the day.

Also Bk and NE did NOT have strong minor teams this year and took heavy beatings from inside and outside the county.
On MLR, yes they had a very very good team as was shown in their performances in BOTH hurling and football finals. If the minor hurling final was played before the football, I'm pretty sure the result would not have been as close.
I would imagine that they had very little preparation for the hurling final due to the football final only 7 days earlier, played almost 100 minutes in that game, lost it very unfairly, and picked up injuries.

So all being said I think Carlow performed well on Saturday and were very unlucky.

Dualclub1 (Carlow) - Posts: 264 - 21/10/2020 11:23:13    2299857

Link

u20 game going ahead tonight against Laois, which is being streamed on the Laois GAA website.

Good panel, with alot of guys having played senior hurling this year for their clubs. Really good spread of clubs being represented also. Laois will be strong and expected to win, but very hard to know given the short amount of prep time for the game.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 107 - 21/10/2020 12:15:58    2299880

Link

Replying To Carlowtothecore1:  "Hi blow-in2; to ensure there is no bias in your comments And that it is balanced I think it's only fair that you Declare your club loyalties??"
Well Carlowtothecore1 first time poster i see welcome what i said must have motivated you to join great to have more voices.

Guess by your comment you feel a strong bias formed part of my comment. I assure you not the case i have respect as can see in my comments for the players and management for what they done in past put when push came to shove on Sat both failed in my opinion that all. I expected to beat Westmeath and put it up to one of the top tier counties not go out with was really a wimpier.

As to my alliances it shouldn't really matter but technically i have none. I am not a member of any club in Carlow but i am a member of my own home club in my home county. I moved here while back have a keen hurling interested work in a Job where i interact with teenager/youths so i follow carlow hurling scene with interest. But to help you try identify me if you wish my extended family would see my closest links are to NE or Burren Rangers if that helps.

I just pointed out in my opinion it was not unlucky if you fail to preform anywhere near you abilities must be a failure somewhere in the processes.

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 19 - 21/10/2020 13:50:35    2299918

Link

Replying To Blow-in2:  "Well Carlowtothecore1 first time poster i see welcome what i said must have motivated you to join great to have more voices.

Guess by your comment you feel a strong bias formed part of my comment. I assure you not the case i have respect as can see in my comments for the players and management for what they done in past put when push came to shove on Sat both failed in my opinion that all. I expected to beat Westmeath and put it up to one of the top tier counties not go out with was really a wimpier.

As to my alliances it shouldn't really matter but technically i have none. I am not a member of any club in Carlow but i am a member of my own home club in my home county. I moved here while back have a keen hurling interested work in a Job where i interact with teenager/youths so i follow carlow hurling scene with interest. But to help you try identify me if you wish my extended family would see my closest links are to NE or Burren Rangers if that helps.

I just pointed out in my opinion it was not unlucky if you fail to preform anywhere near you abilities must be a failure somewhere in the processes."
That's a hell of a long answer to a simple question blow-in2. And I'm not new to this, you would however have to go back a bit to find last post. This one caught my eye as I've grave concerns about posts referencing 15-17 year olds with any level of negativity or criticism, no matter where they are from. I see each day what that can bring and impact of social media particularly on that age. And you seem to claim to have a very detailed knowledge of the subs considering you're not even a member of a Carlow club and Most minor games were behind closed doors????

Carlowtothecore1 (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 21/10/2020 14:43:43    2299955

Link

Replying To Carlowtothecore1:  "That's a hell of a long answer to a simple question blow-in2. And I'm not new to this, you would however have to go back a bit to find last post. This one caught my eye as I've grave concerns about posts referencing 15-17 year olds with any level of negativity or criticism, no matter where they are from. I see each day what that can bring and impact of social media particularly on that age. And you seem to claim to have a very detailed knowledge of the subs considering you're not even a member of a Carlow club and Most minor games were behind closed doors????"
Oh it just your details say its only your second post, but maybe that is inaccurate also no? I don't agree with that if a 15-17 year old elite GAA player can not handle "criticism" as yo put it or comments they will be struggling going forward in general in sport and life.

Is this classed social media?? It an open moderated forum no ? If i stepped across any line im sure the monitor would censor my post. I am almost shocked if you think my comments could be used to put forward the idea they are over the top and abusive or dangerous i don't agree.

I did also say i work with youth/teenage kids and through that get exposed to them playing games. So i would say i have at least seen all the players in the panel play at least twice to be fair others many times at many levels not in 2020 i would agree. What about you ? To say your so confident they were just "unlucky"? Your club? your connections?

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 19 - 21/10/2020 15:13:30    2299967

Link

Replying To Dualclub1:  "Not sure about the accuracy of this post. This minor team were very unlucky on Saturday as previous posts correctly pointed out. I'm not sure what you were expecting from them? They were a good honest bunch who looked comfortable with 15 minutes to go and like we have seen all year in many games, the water break seem to break the momentum. They are only U17 and small things can swing games and affect them on the day.

So all being said I think Carlow performed well on Saturday and were very unlucky."
Hi, DualClub1 i welcome your thoughts. As i said only my opinion and opinions don't have an accuracy index unfortunately. You seem very forthright though that your opinion that the team was unlucky is accurate yet it only subjective. I would agree any poster here seems to agree with that opinion but don't make it correct or 100% right.

I was expecting a win minimum, to go to next round and seriously have right crack at the Dubs in what would been home game. Get to within 1 or 2 scores of them with hope of sneaking a win.

Good honest bunch is fine only young also fair but still doesn't take away from fact i believe had better players management etc. They still lost the game. There was a failure somewhere i never pointed at or on any particular aspect but maybe you can help here.

Failure to deal with water break players or management they had time to prepare Westmeath played in the same game. Ok so do we put down the loss to small things? what are those things? could they be avoided? all goes back to what i said breakdown of the process and what was the failure.

I totally accept your right i was wrong to use strong BK and NE teams i would agree but but do provide some very strong individuals it should of said that. Both yes would have a poor tail in selecting teams but the strong players are of high quality equal of BG or MLR that what i meant apologies. Hope this helps to explain.

Oh so your saying BG were only close to MLR in minor hurling because they were tired? That explains MLR performance in the minor hurl final due to fatigue and mental fatigue and injuries. Just to say i never said that the minor county final was not a great game or performance by anyone i only referred to it as a close game. Which would indicate the both teams would possess very talented players as the MLR team is a very good team.

But how does that explain the failure of the Carlow team last Sat??? Im lost? Where did the luck come into it? Westmeath even had a peno saved late in game if anything they were unlucky!

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 19 - 21/10/2020 15:27:58    2299973

Link

Replying To Blow-in2:  "Oh it just your details say its only your second post, but maybe that is inaccurate also no? I don't agree with that if a 15-17 year old elite GAA player can not handle "criticism" as yo put it or comments they will be struggling going forward in general in sport and life.

Is this classed social media?? It an open moderated forum no ? If i stepped across any line im sure the monitor would censor my post. I am almost shocked if you think my comments could be used to put forward the idea they are over the top and abusive or dangerous i don't agree.

I did also say i work with youth/teenage kids and through that get exposed to them playing games. So i would say i have at least seen all the players in the panel play at least twice to be fair others many times at many levels not in 2020 i would agree. What about you ? To say your so confident they were just "unlucky"? Your club? your connections?"
Think you're mixing up two different replies to your post Blow in, I never mentioned unlucky.
Not giving an opinion on an u17 game on a forum where ID is hidden. The tone of your post is clear enough to suggest an issue with someone involved or some club..
Only thing to add to your last post is.. maybe it's best pick teams on current form and not how a young fella done in previous years.. they do grow and develop differently Each year you know!

Carlowtothecore1 (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 21/10/2020 15:37:40    2299980

Link

Replying To Blow-in2:  "Hi, DualClub1 i welcome your thoughts. As i said only my opinion and opinions don't have an accuracy index unfortunately. You seem very forthright though that your opinion that the team was unlucky is accurate yet it only subjective. I would agree any poster here seems to agree with that opinion but don't make it correct or 100% right.

I was expecting a win minimum, to go to next round and seriously have right crack at the Dubs in what would been home game. Get to within 1 or 2 scores of them with hope of sneaking a win.

Good honest bunch is fine only young also fair but still doesn't take away from fact i believe had better players management etc. They still lost the game. There was a failure somewhere i never pointed at or on any particular aspect but maybe you can help here.

Failure to deal with water break players or management they had time to prepare Westmeath played in the same game. Ok so do we put down the loss to small things? what are those things? could they be avoided? all goes back to what i said breakdown of the process and what was the failure.

I totally accept your right i was wrong to use strong BK and NE teams i would agree but but do provide some very strong individuals it should of said that. Both yes would have a poor tail in selecting teams but the strong players are of high quality equal of BG or MLR that what i meant apologies. Hope this helps to explain.

Oh so your saying BG were only close to MLR in minor hurling because they were tired? That explains MLR performance in the minor hurl final due to fatigue and mental fatigue and injuries. Just to say i never said that the minor county final was not a great game or performance by anyone i only referred to it as a close game. Which would indicate the both teams would possess very talented players as the MLR team is a very good team.

But how does that explain the failure of the Carlow team last Sat??? Im lost? Where did the luck come into it? Westmeath even had a peno saved late in game if anything they were unlucky!"
As the minor is now finished what's your view and expectations on tonight's u20 game Blow-in.. As you said about Saturday's opposition, it's not Kilkenny or Dublin or Wexford we're out against

Carlowtothecore1 (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 21/10/2020 15:47:53    2299986

Link

Replying To Carlowtothecore1:  "Think you're mixing up two different replies to your post Blow in, I never mentioned unlucky.
Not giving an opinion on an u17 game on a forum where ID is hidden. The tone of your post is clear enough to suggest an issue with someone involved or some club..
Only thing to add to your last post is.. maybe it's best pick teams on current form and not how a young fella done in previous years.. they do grow and develop differently Each year you know!"
Carlowtothecore1, your none response to my questions says it all either your here to discuss and converse or not. So because under 17 you wont comment but if U18 that ok? where is the line for you?

Absolutely not teams win or loose as a group they lost. They must take stock no? try understand what went wrong and not ignore that fact they lost with a poor level of performance on the day. True but you wont share have or how much have you seen of this year of the players? Well? You asked of me i just asking for a simple response of where your opinions and being formed from. Have you seen all the games this year? Have you been at all training ?

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 19 - 21/10/2020 16:46:35    2300013

Link

Replying To Carlowtothecore1:  "As the minor is now finished what's your view and expectations on tonight's u20 game Blow-in.. As you said about Saturday's opposition, it's not Kilkenny or Dublin or Wexford we're out against"
Carlowtothecore1 wouldn't know these players as much but for sure a-lot played senior or inter club champ this year so i would reckon a decent to good standard. Would say 50/50 chance Laois would be a bigger fish in hurling terms than West meath and i know nothing of there team so nothing to say but ill tell you my thoughts after the game.

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 19 - 21/10/2020 17:02:18    2300019

Link