Wexford Forum

Schools Hurling

(Oldest Posts First)

Howdy.

So Peters lost to Kierans and Gorey CBS lost to Mountrath.

Part of me is disappointed but yet another of part thinks that it's better to get to a final and loose than not be there at all.
Lessons learned and all that.

I can't help but feel that another piece of the Wexford hurling puzzle will be Gorey CBS getting to the "A" standard in the schools competition.
If Wexford had Peters/Good Counsel/Gorey at this A standard, you'd have a very good minor team every year.
Given they made the "B" Leinster, I am not sure whether that means they get to the A level. I probably don't think so, possibly you need to win the all-ireland at B to get into A. Think FCJ were at A standard for a year after they won the B.

At least we are getting competitive on the school scene.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 03/03/2015 13:26:41    1698704

Link

It is great to see progress being made. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Fair play to all teachers and others who give up their time to promote hurling in the secondary schools.

Waldorf.Salad (Wexford) - Posts: 31 - 03/03/2015 13:57:41    1698720

Link

Yes heartening to see Gorey rising in hurling and camogie, great effort on the part of Rory McCarthy and other teachers. I've heard next years senior crop are weaker but if they work hard there is hope. Wexford CBS under Donal Howlin are also coming along and Kilmuckridge are putting in efforts too. Enniscorthy CBS seem to have stalled though, big school in the hurling heartland.

Bunclody for a small school seem to do reasonable well but hear that county board have Red Barry going in doing football so maybe the intention is for them to focus on the big ball?

Wexilad (Wexford) - Posts: 62 - 03/03/2015 18:03:27    1698862

Link

I think there is a strategic plan that some primary schools/areas are designated for football than hurling. I think Bunclody is one of those.

The population in Wexford at the last census was 145k and kk was 95k.
I think kk have condensed their talent pookl into Kierans. Having Kilkenny city slap bang in the middle of the county helps as anybody can commute in.
I am not sue this is possible in Wexford as it's geographically well spread.

Overall, great strides made by the schools in Wexford.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 04/03/2015 11:45:59    1699082

Link

Lads in school, or outside, should not be influenced to play one code over the other. They should all be playing both. Peter's and Good Counsel are both Colleges A in both codes.

Always amazed me that the bulk of county underage teams would come from Enniscorthy and Gorey (to a lesser extent) yet Good Counsel and Peter's would routinely destroy them. Colleges A hurling and football is like Division 1 in the league and Colleges B is like Division 4 in the league. There is no comparison.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 04/03/2015 13:00:11    1699117

Link