Wexford Forum

Under 21 hurling 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Had a similar experience with my own kid at last years AI semi final.

Was at first round U 21 game in limerick and atmosphere was similar to what is described above. My kid also got hackled by a Clare man known to me in his late fifties THE DAY AFTER the game.

Time used to be that we all in Munster didnt like to attend a match with tipp fans because of the atmosphere they generated now most tipp n limerick hurling ppl I know don't want to sit with Clare fans.

I'm not looking for a row but maybe if these things are discussed open then the atmosphere at games will improve.

I do agree that there are lots of good Clare fans many of them friends of mine so I wouldn't paint them all with one brush.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 16/09/2014 21:06:50    1652873

Link

this is ridiculous, ye are making clare people sound like an awful crowd of lunatics hahaha!!! making it sound like ye are afraid to sit beside us, for the love and honour give me patience.... maybe ye just dont understand the banter lads, clare people are the best craic after all!!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1898 - 16/09/2014 21:30:05    1652881

Link

Bannerboy I wouldn`t brand all Clare supporters the same. Actually, I wasn't going to say anything at until few lads just mentioned about the supporters there. Then when you came onto the Wexford site saying that stuff I just had to replay which I felt I was entitled to do. Anyway it over with lets move on...Ye have a great team and you as a true supporter can look forward to many happy days following those players in the future.

As a lifelong Clare and hurling supporter if there was some igornant remarks and actions by Clare fans then I am indeed sorry to hear this, having been in Cusack Park/Wexford Park and Thurles I must say that I dident hear anything said out of turn in 3 wonderful contests and having stopped in Wexford Town on that Saturday evening there was nothing but civility by both fans at least that i saw

In Thurles I sat in front of two middle aged Wexford supporters who were great craic we all shook hands they were very gracious indeed.

There was some booing of referee and while I thought that he was a bit biased in Wexfords favour I would never condone this. Some fans come into the Grounds with drink and indeed their is drink sold inside of Thurles and while it in no way excuses Igornance it is a factor in this nonsense I am sure nearly all supporters are decent people in their own lives but lose the run of themselves at a big match but sometimes perhaps their is over sensitivity, I don't know but over the years I have heard things said but don't take any notice of it, travelling home from a match some years ago a couple were working in their garden and their son mooned the passinf Clare Traffic I wont mention the County but I definitely would not keep it against that County the fact that Parents had not thought that young man values & manners.

Having been on holidays in Wexford many times worked with Wexford people and have a neighbour from Wexford I can honestly say that I find them lovely good natured people very placid people who are very passionate about hurling make loads of noise but I was telling somebody of what I read on the Wexford Forum a Clare person and his experience was that a number of Wexford youths with their parents about 15 were using vile language to the referee and Clare team so I suppose all Counties have some rude igornant fans.

Personally I found it a wonderful match Wexford gave a wonderful performance as well as Clare and like some other poster said I think that we could be looking a new dawn on Slaneyside so I think we should draw a line under this supporters nonsense and look forward to some wonderful hurling in the future.

Hurling abu

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 605 - 17/09/2014 11:50:04    1652981

Link

Great effort shown by the players on Saturday evening,when Clare got the goal and point in quick succession early in the 2nd half to push out to a 8 point lead i worried we could be on the end of a tanking but we hung in there we tested Clare's character so you couldn't ask much more of the players,enormous credit to Clare simply an awesome outfit and in galvin and Kelly they truely have two gems,just wondering would Clare posters know how many of the starting 15 are underage next year?personally now the priority should be getting 3 or 4 of Saturdays team to make an impact at senior level next year following the example of Ryan,Guiney and McDonald

Regarding the Clare supporters i didn't experience anything unsavoury myself but the boos and jeers every time Wexford won a free were a bit ott in my opinion,to be fair the penalty we won was very soft but at the same time the lack of protection Conor McDonald received from the officials really frustrated me,he was getting fouled consistently but very little was done about it and in the semi-final against Galway the same thing accorded,if these stories about some of the Clare supporters are true maybe the behaviour of there senior manager is rubbing off on some of there supporters

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 17/09/2014 14:34:14    1653072

Link

wexico15 there are 4 of clares starting team underage again next year. the four are conor cleary, jamie shanahan, bobby duggan and shane o'donnell. while these four are very good players, and there are some more talented players that will be on the team next year. we will not be as strong as the 3 previous teams, i think we might find it hard to come out of munster wiith waterford and tipp looking strong next year. i would back waterford for the all ireland i think next year.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1898 - 17/09/2014 16:37:53    1653144

Link

rarely post on here but have to agree with a lot of what has been said. Was at the wexford clare senior matches in the summer and found the clare supporters to be quite aggressive at times. 'Banter' is one thing, being abusive is completely different. Don't get me wrong, I like the clare team and it's fantastic what they've brought to hurling in the last few years but being gracious in victory and defeat is a very important trait.

Aside from that, well done to Wexford. Great summer, hopefully more to come!

the_post (USA) - Posts: 182 - 17/09/2014 16:39:02    1653146

Link

As far as I know Wexico, Clare have only 4 from starting 15 underage -Conor Cleary, Jamie Shanahan, Bobby Duggan & Shane O'Donnell. Unless Clare get a favourable draw, it will be hard to see them get out of Munster. Tipp are probably strong favourites, plus you also have Waterford & Limerick who both contested the 2 minor finals of 13 & 14. Tipp beat Clare in Munster minor final of 2012.
On your own side Wexford should have a great chance. Kilkenny will always be tough and Dublin should be strong enough too but this year should stand to your players big time. Ye are also due home games against both Dublin & Kilkenny, and with Galway facing Munster champions it will be a real opportunity for Wexford to kick on now.

With regard the Clare fans, I didn't see anything untowards against Wexford supporters, but obviously did hear the booing against the referee. I know you are saying McDonald was not getting any protection from the ref but we would have the same complaint for Peter Duggan who won a good deal of high ball and was being fouled a lot. But listen these things happen in games, some days you get the decisions, some days you don't. Put it this way -had Bubbles Dwyer scored that free to win all-Ireland, Kilkenny fans would have declared an unholy war on Barry Kelly.

The future is bright for Clare (assuming Davy doesn't lose the run of himself which is at best 50/50), but this was a big year for Wexford.
Next year's goals should be a good u-21 campaign, as well as pushing hard in senior as there probably is not much between Dublin, Galway & yourselves.

Roashter (Clare) - Posts: 238 - 17/09/2014 16:40:12    1653148

Link

Dont like the abuse thrown Clare fans, really uncalled for, are we the only county in Ireland that shout and roars at matchs? Probably not! No disrespect but the referee gave ye soft frees last Saturday whereas we had to find very hard to get some primarilary because ye were underdogs, hence some disgruntled Clare fans. Great game, take yer beating like men like we did when ye knocked us on the 12th july last.

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 17/09/2014 17:50:59    1653172

Link

This whole issue on Clare supporters is not sour grapes in any way,anyone watching the game would have said any result other than a Clare win would have been daylight robbery or floodlight robbery in Saturdays case,i taught the referee did a decent job overall on Saturday,anyone who expects a referee not to make a few wrong decisions over a game is kidding themselves, all players and supporters look for is consistency. I wouldn't agree that we got soft frees i just felt Clare were very aggressive in the tackle ,there certainly nothing wrong with that and sometimes this leads to a high free count,this has been a hallmark of Kilkenny in the Cody era and im sure generally the free count against Kilkenny is actually quiet high despite there success.this whole issue also arose in the summer and in that case that your manager was trying to make referees a scapegoat for the your teams indiscipline, e.g against cork you conceded 2-11 from placed balls,if you concede 13 scores from frees i think you need to have a look at your teams indiscipline rather than hounding officials on the line,once this nonsense doesn't continue you have a great future.

Looking at your team on Saturday anyone from 8-15 wouldn't look out of place at senior level and maybe this time next year you'll be saying podge who? Your defense did look suspect at times on Saturday but i was reading on your own page that a couple of them are converted forwards but in seana morey you have a serious player,anyone who thinks 2013 was a flash in the pan is certainly wrong, i always felt you would struggle this year, apart from Kilkenny all-Irelands are rarely retained in both hurling and football which is another fact which shows how incredible there achievements have been,but i expect to see Clare in croke park in august and maybe September of 2015

At senior level we need to reach the quarter final again next year maybe even the semi final to make real progress,i hope we have our 1st big day out in croke park sense 2008,weather its a Leinster final or all Ireland semi final,i believe a Leinster title is probably a step too far next year but im hopeful of a Leinster title 2 or 3 years down the line,10 of our team from Saturday are underage again next year,the 5 players were losing are Shane o'gorman,Aidan Nolan,jack Guiney,Gary Moore and Rhys Clarke

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 17/09/2014 19:40:51    1653210

Link

There seems to be a siege mentality amongst Clare fans that results in the kind of atmosphere that ppl are complaining about here. It's not something that can't be undone and I would hope that as a result of huge recent successes Clare fans will mellow out a bit. As I said in another post tipp fans were once subject of this kind of criticism but I see less and less of it in last 5 years or so.

Also think the boos from fans show county in poor light as does the inference that the ref was biased. Does anyone with half a brain really think a ref will go into a televised all Ireland final with a view to being biased. It is madness to think such a thing could happen. Again mostly generated by the aforementioned siege mentality.

I watched game in telly and read report in paper and no where was it suggested the ref had a poor game. Clare were the better team but if wexford got their tactics right they could have won.

As for morey if he is not better than Browne then I know nothing about hurling. He has been excellent all year and was a collisions against limerick. He may have suffered from being played in too many positions but he is surely best no . 4 in Clare now.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 18/09/2014 09:46:48    1653282

Link

All I know is EVERYTHING that is being levelled at us Clare supporters on here could be turned around and levelled straight back at the Wexford supporters on Saturday night, but we are not as easily upset it would appear. We won that's why it's the other way round. Some of you are quick to praise but then you turn it back with a negative "oh you're a magnificent team, but your supporters are a disgrace" that's rubbish. I'm sorry for the experience hunting had and I condemn that. But that not Clare "supporters" that's a couple of idiots. I think it's hilarious that you find booing the ref as awful. He wasn't great to Clare in all fairness and the free count was so in favour of Wexford the Clare supporters got a little wound up and booed etc. that happens, it happened the other way too. Wexford blokes ranting, raving, shouting and swearing. Only difference is no Clare man is condemning you for that behaviour. It's a passionate game. I had to laugh when I our friend from limerick DF post...he couldnt resist it....but this lost all credibility the moment DF left a post about Clare. so he sits on that for over a year. He couldn't sit on anything about Clare for 30 seconds. If that REALLY happened he would've posted the message on HERE while the game was on. From Croke Park. Haha. Please DF take you beating and your bitterness elsewhere.

BannerBoy2013 (Clare) - Posts: 325 - 18/09/2014 11:27:54    1653317

Link

i dont think any of the above is sour grapes or anything of the sort,nobody is disputing the result.
i think people are only pointing out what they see at a game,and a lot of that siege mentality is created by the senior manager,where everyone else is wrong and that he can say and do what he wants.all people are saying is what they saw and experienced.
good luck to clare and please god we will be back next year.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 18/09/2014 11:36:07    1653322

Link

Thank you bannerboy for proving my point on the siege mentality. I think perfect 10 it dates back to mid 90s so hard to blame current manager alone.

As for problem I had at last years semi BB u r right I couldn't sit on it and I didn't. I posted something on it either on the 19th or 20th of August 13.

I'm sorry but I don't like atmosphere at Clare games but Ian wrong cos I'm bitter, wexford are wrong because they can't take their beating it seems everyone is wrong and atmosphere at Clare games is no worse than other county's games. Well I'm sorry but for me it is.

A lot of decent Clare ppl so hopefully siege mentality will ease down n banter can take over.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 18/09/2014 13:28:18    1653395

Link

I think what BannerBoy says is fair enough - the couple of nasty incidents mentioned are the result of a few idiots (every county has them), not a symptom of a particular group of supporters. Cheering wides and the like is just something that feels raw at the time if you're losing - it would be quickly forgotten if it was the other way around. Now I don't like hearing cursing at the ref from any supporter, but suggesting that this was a uniquely Clare characteristic is very unfair. As pointed out, saying 'Clare are a great team, but...' sounds very much like sour grapes, and is exactly the type of criticism levelled at Davy Fitz earlier in the year.

Wexican (Wexford) - Posts: 36 - 18/09/2014 13:58:08    1653416

Link